Share | 

The Warpstone Workshop

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randozart
Hellion

PostSubject: The Warpstone Workshop   Wed Jun 04 2014, 11:32

Hello TDC!
As some in chat may have known, I've been intending to start this project log for quite some time. Especially since I love to convert and paint. This had, up to this point however been impossible due to lack of a camera. Of course, I would far from consider myself on the level of EoE in that regard. He is really quite skilled. I can only hope to become as good at one point. Anywho, I'd like to use this project log to upload any painting and conversion work I've been up to, and of course, critique and suggestions are appreciated. With that in mind, let's carry on, shall we?

Exhibit A: Eldar cult of Nurgle
I really don't have much to explain in regards to these pictures. I decided my Eldar would be original little snowflakes and worship Nurgle due to... Reasons. It has to do with Isha.

I have however been considering changing their aesthetic a bit and buying some Nurgle's rot to apply to the vehicles. But as it stands, that will have to wait until I have the funds to support an army wide conversion. Or I just decide to leave them like this of course and make some special units or something along those lines.

Exhibit B: Bushido Gue'vesa Fire Warriors
First, listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhXCQFxGqMM
After doing so you might understand why I so desperately wanted to convert these fine gentlemen. And I have not at all. I repeat. Not. AT. ALL. created an entire planet and minor fluff to accomodate for their existance...

But, I will go ahead and explain anyway. They hail from the planet of Oda, a human colony that was severed from the Imperium during the age of strife with a proud and long standing warrior culture only to later join the Tau empire in order to isolate themselves from any other galactic civilization. Sure you know about them!

For those wondering, yes that is indeed a Tokugawa crest on their shoulder plates and body armor. GW uses historical iconography all the time, why shouldn't I?

Exhibit C: Semi-succesful experiment
This one is a horribly casted miniature from a horribly made mould which was made from a Space Crusade Chaos Space Marine miniature. Those have been OOP for a LOOOONG time and were never released outside of the Space Crusade boxsets. As such, I feel I was justified in recasting it, though quite frankly, not even paint seems to make up for the horrendous quality of my failed recasting that much, and this is considering I had to greenstuff the huge bayonet and the right shoulder pad because those were warped beyond salvation. Did save the miniature a bit though. Perhaps I would just have been better off make a Nurgle CSM, those look warped anyway. Ah well, judge yourself I reckon.

I hope to be able to post more on here as time progresses. Painting and converting are fun endeavours and I hope to be able to share that joy. Wink
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: The Warpstone Workshop   Wed Jun 04 2014, 11:57

I love the nurgle eldar! I feel like you could equally pass them off as Exodites as well with all the kind of green mossy stuff, really awesome looking Smile

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
it's the Starsky and Hutch venom! but I'm kinda ok with that
Back to top Go down
sunspear
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The Warpstone Workshop   Wed Jun 11 2014, 13:29

I always liked unique armies and those centered around an idea, these are cool! and good job modeling and painting!
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: The Warpstone Workshop   Fri Jun 27 2014, 22:16

DE worshiping Nurgle, not impossible I believe. Great idea!
If you're doing more nurgle though, I think coven units would suit and look better. I think it's hard to make wyches, kabalites and non-coven units look good in nurgle theme. Maybe it would upset many Archons and especially Vect I suspect...

If you like converting and sculpting stuff and want a challenge(or simply fun), check out this.
Back to top Go down
Randozart
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Warpstone Workshop   Fri Jul 18 2014, 12:24

So, I've been doing some conversion and painting stuff again. As I mentioned, I wanted to update the aesthetic style of the Nurgly Eldar. Really, just different shades of green and brown leather is a bit dull, no? Aside from that, I'm building my Astra Militarum force and wanted to give them a bit of a unique feel. As such, aside from butchering their uniform by removing the shoulderplates, giving them gloves, patching their shoulders as indication of battlefield role and handing them sweet, oh so sweet berets, I will be doing the following: Make half the army female (yaaay, gender equality!) since guard fluff has indicated time and time again how women in the 41st millenium are on relatively equal footing with men, even in the Imperial Guard.

But as usual, BY KHAINE I BETTER GET THAT LIGHTING FIXED! Really screws up a paintjob that otherwise looks fine in person Sad

Exhibit A: Aesthetically Upgraded Nurgly Eldar
What I decided to do was, save for the technical paints like Nurgle's Rot I have yet to order, to give their armor a more "plant-like" or "poisonous" effect. This is illustrated below.

What I also did was update the look of the farseer. Her last hairstyle bugged me ALOT, so I peeled off the greenstuff and "re-converted" my first ever conversion. And for the best, in my opinion. Looks much prettier now.

The boat got the same treatment, but I still have to get busy with technical paints on it to make it look as filthy and disgusting as would be expected of papa Nurgle.

Exhibit B: Condotierro Colonial Legion
I'll probably get around to explaining the fluff behind the planet they're from... Sometime. Too much to explain and all that. Just imagine them being State Mercenaries from Space Venice... That should cover most of it.

This image contains the Female Officer of the Fleet conversion I did. Loads of greenstuff was used for certain. The Condotierro Sergeant which is the first and only character so far I've painted up. As you might be able to see, his shoulderpads have been removed and replaced with ployed cloth. The wonders of greenstuff eh? In the future he may be getting a backpack though, but I'll see about that when I feel the need for it. The two other characters are two of the female guardsmen.

In order to make them work I had to both chip away at the shoulders to make them more in line with their hips as female anatomy dictates, and I had to thin out their waste as, once again, anatomy dictates. Of course these characters may fit beauty/pinup standards a bit much, but that's all I can really do at the moment without resorting to custom heads or alot of custom bits and pieces.

Their waist is thinned out by chipping away at the plastic aswell. And they also have berets. They may look a bit oversized, but it's hard to cut away at metal bits in order to create "beret" space. In any case, I want them to fit the uniform their male counterparts will wear: http://www.puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=306

Also, a back picture of the Sergeant and Fleet Officer:

Before I forget, when my Astra Militarum arrived, it had 4 very lovely almost ancient Imperial Guard sentinels in it, 2nd edition I believe. However, one of them was missing parts! So what does every sensible, well intentioned general do? They pillage their newly acquired bitz and get around to making something that is fancy, extremely fancy!

The man needed a name, and as such I have named him after a most unorthodox commander that happens to have enabled my purchase of these models. Your Armoured Sentinel Steel Phalanx stands ready to follow your command, officer! ...I'll be sure to play this while painting and fielding them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZm4zseMok0 (This song... Hnnnnggggg!)

I hope to be able to post further updates on the Condotierri in the future (with better camera/lighting quality preferably), but for now, I hope you enjoy the pictures! Wink
Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed

PostSubject: Re: The Warpstone Workshop   Fri Jul 18 2014, 22:02

Kudos on taking so much time and care to work on the shoulders and the waists of the ladies, and not just slap two greenstuff orbs on the front! Very Happy The waists while hourglass, don't look too over the top to me. Nicely done!

~ Aim to please, shoot to kill. ~
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Warpstone Workshop   Sat Jul 19 2014, 06:46

Eeeww the pink pimpley sore thing on the raider is UG-LEE. And by that I intend a huge compliment. Congrossulations.

Randozart
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Warpstone Workshop   Mon Jul 21 2014, 18:41

So I painted up those Condotierri (Love that name, Italian meaning intended) which I LOVED doing. Here's a quick update on how they turned out (Mostly the guardswomen and the Master of Ordnance which has likeness to Stephen Seagal in some weird ways). Camera had flash on though so that sort of... Ugh, it gets rid of subtle shading in some areas and screws with metallic paint. Probably need to follow EoE's advice on photography. Anywho, quick update:

Back to top Go down
Randozart
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Warpstone Workshop   Fri Sep 05 2014, 22:59

Just a quick post to show the chat the extent of my current conversion on the Condotierro. New Nurgle Eldar and Condotierro higher quality pictures will come up again soon Wink

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Warpstone Workshop   

Back to top Go down

The Warpstone Workshop
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: