HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Zenotaph
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 397
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : Munich/Bavaria

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 13:43

Sorry, but what new edition? 6th came not so long ago.

_________________
When I'm good, I'm very, very good. But when I'm bad I'm better.
Back to top Go down
django_unchained
Kabalite Warrior


Posts : 198
Join date : 2014-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 13:52

7Th edition is coming in June
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
avatar

Posts : 6832
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 13:58

Allegedly. I'm still not convinced though.

_________________

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
django_unchained
Kabalite Warrior


Posts : 198
Join date : 2014-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 14:04

It came from 40k radio. Theyre extremely reliable. I believe it
Back to top Go down
Archon
Kabalite Warrior
avatar

Posts : 147
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Kaukauna, Wisconsin - U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 14:11

@Zenotaph wrote:
@Unholyllama wrote:
I think my largest fear with a new book would be something that makes less sense than Eldar/Dark Eldar battle brother - like introducing psykers into the codex.  I would rather see Coven HQ buffs to units than adding in Psykers.

Uh, Psykers in a DE Army? I wouldn't use them, even if that means, I'm going to loose every single match...
I think, I would prefer mercenaries. Or fast assault coven units. What a haemi could do with some springs?  bounce 


I don't want to see Psykers in the DE Army, either... That said, I'm sure we are going to get something that uses the Psyker mechanics. My guess would be some alteration of the Combat Drugs, or Archane Wargear.
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 397
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : Munich/Bavaria

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 14:19

@django_unchained wrote:
7Th edition is coming in June

Damn, another rulebook to learn. For my knowledge of 40k rules,
some people already call me oracle. I want that to continue.
But arcane wargear sounds good. It has a nice ring to it...
Maybe some haemi masks? Or DE voodoo dolls?

_________________
When I'm good, I'm very, very good. But when I'm bad I'm better.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
avatar

Posts : 3149
Join date : 2012-04-15
Location : Stuck in an air vent spying on plotters

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 16:14

I'd like to point out that the new rulebook is a rumour, and the psyker phase was also a mentioned rumour for 6th.

I'd say hold off any opinions on a book that hasn't been released yet and wait, read it when it turns up, play the rules for a few games and then make up your mind.

Also, a new book is also just a rumour. Psykers are anathema to DE, so any psyker that would be included would be a slave type thing, most likely. This might upset people, but guess what? You wouldn't have to use it. Nobody can make you use anything. I don't like reavers, personally, and I don't use them despite how popular they are.

I really doubt they'd give us a psyker of any sort, though. There's so much potential for original content with coven units and anything else within our codex that could be expanded upon.

This post might seem a bit ranty/odd, but if you saw all the negativity that came just before anybody had got 6th you'd understand why it should be staved off. There were so many people preaching that the DE were unusable and we should all get a PA army. It was ridiculous!  Evil or Very Mad

_________________

Back to top Go down
django_unchained
Kabalite Warrior


Posts : 198
Join date : 2014-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 16:24

@Cavash wrote:
I'd like to point out that the new rulebook is a rumour, and the psyker phase was also a mentioned rumour for 6th.

I'd say hold off any opinions on a book that hasn't been released yet and wait, read it when it turns up, play the rules for a few games and then make up your mind.

Also, a new book is also just a rumour. Psykers are anathema to DE, so any psyker that would be included would be a slave type thing, most likely. This might upset people, but guess what? You wouldn't have to use it. Nobody can make you use anything. I don't like reavers, personally, and I don't use them despite how popular they are.

I really doubt they'd give us a psyker of any sort, though. There's so much potential for original content with coven units and anything else within our codex that could be expanded upon.

This post might seem a bit ranty/odd, but if you saw all the negativity that came just before anybody had got 6th you'd understand why it should be staved off. There were so many people preaching that the DE were unusable and we should all get a PA army. It was ridiculous!  Evil or Very Mad


While I Agree with a lot of what you've said here, the 7th ed rumor for June is extremely strong as it's been given by 40k radio and this past year they've been right about like 90% of their rumors. It would also fit into why there hasn't been any FAQs released in the last year, and also would mesh well with the ork and blood angel release.

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
avatar

Posts : 6832
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 16:35

There have been many rumours from many different sources and I for one am hoping that it's not true. Two years for an edition of this game is a ridiculously short lifespan and stinks of yet another GW cashgrab, as the rules are the one thing that pretty much every 40k player is going to have to buy if they want to play the game.

_________________

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
django_unchained
Kabalite Warrior


Posts : 198
Join date : 2014-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 16:36

@Count Adhemar wrote:
There have been many rumours from many different sources and I for one am hoping that it's not true. Two years for an edition of this game is a ridiculously short lifespan and stinks of yet another GW cashgrab, as the rules are the one thing that pretty much every 40k player is going to have to buy if they want to play the game.


I can honestly see them using this to fix a lot of 6th edition. Maybe because I've played over 100 games of 6th, but I'm honestly hoping for something different. Different missions, deployments, maybe fix the ally chart, etc etc.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
avatar

Posts : 3149
Join date : 2012-04-15
Location : Stuck in an air vent spying on plotters

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 16:38

Yes, I agree that there's a strong case for it happening, but I'm with Adhemar with hoping that GW doesn't release a new one.

I also remember last year telling people that GW wouldn't release a 40k codex every month despite their wishes, and they thought I was wrong about that. I think that there's a point where wishlisting becomes so widespread that people believe it's a rumour. Just take what you here with a lot of salt, don't give into the madness.

_________________

Back to top Go down
django_unchained
Kabalite Warrior


Posts : 198
Join date : 2014-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 16:41

@Cavash wrote:
Yes, I agree that there's a strong case for it happening, but I'm with Adhemar with hoping that GW doesn't release a new one.

I also remember last year telling people that GW wouldn't release a 40k codex every month despite their wishes, and they thought I was wrong about that. I think that there's a point where wishlisting becomes so widespread that people believe it's a rumour. Just take what you here with a lot of salt, don't give into the madness.


I hear ya. I think our book's so awesome the way it is. I do like the idea of a full color 'dex, but I'm scared what they'll do to my venoms... Sad
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
avatar

Posts : 6832
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 16:42

@django_unchained wrote:
@Count Adhemar wrote:
There have been many rumours from many different sources and I for one am hoping that it's not true. Two years for an edition of this game is a ridiculously short lifespan and stinks of yet another GW cashgrab, as the rules are the one thing that pretty much every 40k player is going to have to buy if they want to play the game.


I can honestly see them using this to fix a lot of 6th edition. Maybe because I've played over 100 games of 6th, but I'm honestly hoping for something different. Different missions, deployments, maybe fix the ally chart, etc etc.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a major overhaul. All the rumours I've seen have basically been tweaks rather than wholesale changes. And, as Cavash points out, the rumours are heavily mixed in with the wishlisting.

_________________

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
avatar

Posts : 3149
Join date : 2012-04-15
Location : Stuck in an air vent spying on plotters

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 16:45

@Count Adhemar wrote:
@django_unchained wrote:
@Count Adhemar wrote:
There have been many rumours from many different sources and I for one am hoping that it's not true. Two years for an edition of this game is a ridiculously short lifespan and stinks of yet another GW cashgrab, as the rules are the one thing that pretty much every 40k player is going to have to buy if they want to play the game.


I can honestly see them using this to fix a lot of 6th edition. Maybe because I've played over 100 games of 6th, but I'm honestly hoping for something different. Different missions, deployments, maybe fix the ally chart, etc etc.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a major overhaul. All the rumours I've seen have basically been tweaks rather than wholesale changes. And, as Cavash points out, the rumours are heavily mixed in with the wishlisting.

Agreed on the tweaking. I think we can hope for something similar to the Eldar dex, bringing it up to the current edition, a few cool bits of wargear, maybe couple of new kits, but nothing too big.

_________________

Back to top Go down
django_unchained
Kabalite Warrior


Posts : 198
Join date : 2014-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 17:39

Back to top Go down
Unholyllama
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 267
Join date : 2013-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 17:46

Natfka has recently been throwing anything on the site to drive more traffic regardless of how reliable the source. I'm just as skeptical now as I was months ago when I first heard about it.
Back to top Go down
django_unchained
Kabalite Warrior


Posts : 198
Join date : 2014-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 17:50

@Unholyllama wrote:
Natfka has recently been throwing anything on the site to drive more traffic regardless of how reliable the source.  I'm just as skeptical now as I was months ago when I first heard about it.

Retailers have apparently been told to pull the 6th edition books.
Back to top Go down
django_unchained
Kabalite Warrior


Posts : 198
Join date : 2014-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 18:43

Rulebook is now also unavailable on their official site.
Back to top Go down
Barking Agatha
Wych
avatar

Posts : 736
Join date : 2012-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 22:39

@Cavash wrote:

I also remember last year telling people that GW wouldn't release a 40k codex every month despite their wishes, and they thought I was wrong about that.

That's not exactly true. What we were saying was that GW would release a 40K codex every third month:

@Barking Agatha wrote:
Look at it like this:

In 2013,

Eldar (July), Space Marines (October-ish)

In 2014

Tyranids (Jan), Imperial Guard (April-ish), Orks (October-ish)

In 2015

Let's say Space Wolves, Blood Angels, and Grey Knights

In 2016, all we have left are Necrons, Sisters of Battle, and Dark Eldar, and (probably) 7th edition.

And so far that is exactly what has happened.
Back to top Go down
Unholyllama
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 267
Join date : 2013-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Mon Apr 28 2014, 22:53

Sisters came out in 2013 (as did Tau, Daemons, and Inquisition).
Imperial Knights were March 2014.

Many Necron players I know are presuming mid-to-late 2015 for their new Book since it was the last one before 6th ed. dropping. Regardless, Orks, Space Wolves, and Blood Angels will probably be the next revised codices at this point.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
avatar

Posts : 3063
Join date : 2013-10-31
Location : Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Wed May 14 2014, 02:40

I really like this codex, more so than any of the others I play. If we DO get one, I would prefer pretty much everything stay the same. (Maybe make Mandrakes useful...) The only thing I really care about is not losing Duke Sliscus or Baron Sathonyx.
Back to top Go down
Jehoel
Kabalite Warrior
avatar

Posts : 150
Join date : 2011-07-04
Location : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Wed May 14 2014, 16:58

In my opinion, when our current codex came out it was one of the best GW had produced for quite some time. But with 6. edition we suffered because we like to see our enemy in the eyes while we kill him and assault suddently wasn't as good as before. Furthermore.the change to "feel no pain" made us more fragile.
What I would enjoy to see from a new codex is:
- Wyches able to dodge overwatch
- Mandrakes (nuff' said)
- Some new grotesque models with more options. They should be a real jigsaw puzzle of oppertunities when put together
- Plastic beasts. Have never fielded a beastmaster yet due to the price.
Special Character models for the count, duke and lady
-Archons court without having to include all options.
- a nerf in point for the scourges
- a harlequin solitaire special character called Motley :-)

_________________
There's a special providence in the fall of a sparrow.
If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be now;
if it be not now, yet it will come:
The readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he leaves, what is't to leave betimes?

- Hamlet, Prince of Denmark


Kabal of Eternal Torment/Cult of Last Caress/Coven of Wasted Tears
Back to top Go down
Devilogical
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 407
Join date : 2013-09-25
Location : Russia!!!

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Wed May 14 2014, 18:27

@Jehoel wrote:
In my opinion, when our current codex came out it was one of the best GW had produced for quite some time. But with 6. edition we suffered because we like to see our enemy in the eyes while we kill him and assault suddently wasn't as good as before. Furthermore.the change to "feel no pain" made us more fragile.
What I would enjoy to see from a new codex is:
- Wyches able to dodge overwatch
- Mandrakes (nuff' said)
- Some new grotesque models with more options. They should be a real jigsaw puzzle of oppertunities when put together
- Plastic beasts. Have never fielded a beastmaster yet due to the price.
Special Character models for the count, duke and lady
-Archons court without having to include all options.
- a nerf in point for the scourges
- a harlequin solitaire special character called Motley :-)

I wanted Solitaire too )))

_________________
`We faced a Dysjunction... we were betrayed, destroyed, ashamed, hunted... Now look who is been risen from the ashes...`

Succubus Ariel the Vengefull of the Wych cult Blade Denied to her sister, archon Elieae after the conquering Low Commoragh Dark spire.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2762
Join date : 2013-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Fri May 16 2014, 14:02

I'm certainly apprehensive at the thought of a new book - I think this one was very good, and one of the best written.

However, the past tense is important - the book was good, but in 6th and with the release of various other codices, I think the cracks are really starting to show.

For a start, 6th brought about a lot of detrimental changes for us:

- Fliers in general
- FNP getting worse (for us, at least)
- Furious Charge getting worse
- Vehicles more likely to explode
- Explosions more damaging on open-topped vehicles
- Overwatch (not pleasant with T3 troops)
- Arguably some of the vehicle-movement rules
- Can no longer assault out of Webways
- Changes to weapon AP (our I8 succubus is now only allowed AP2 if she goes down to I1)

Not that we didn't gain stuff in 6th, but I can't help feeling that we were hurt a lot more than we were buffed.

Anyway, we then have our codex itself:

- A lot of our units are starting to feel overpriced. With marines, Tau etc. getting markedly cheaper, it seems like our fragile troops are getting less and less for the points.

- On tha note, our selection of weapons/gear is pretty bad. A lot of them are overpriced compared to other books (Blasters, Dark Lances), or just outright terrible (Shredder, Hex Rifle). Haemonculi in particular have about a two pages worth of stuff, with maybe 2-3 entries seeing any use. Then there's things like Splinter Racks - which is really restrictive for no logical reason.

- We don't have much variety in terms of weapons - for the most part, they're either poison or S8 Lances. Poison is sometimes useful, but most of the time I find that S4 would be just as effective - and can also glance AV10 and wound T3 on 3s. Regardless, I think it would be nice if some or all of our poison weapons either gained a meaningful strength value, or if some wounded on better than 4+. Also, with many MCs getting 2+ saves, poison is looking less and less attractive, compared to having plasmaguns and the like. I often find myself wishing we could take Disintegrators on things like Warriors and Trueborn - rather than them being limited to a couple of vehicles.

- I mentioned this above, but I believe it bears reiterating - our transports have become more like death-traps. The advice I generally see is along the lines of 'get your warriors out of their raiders as fast as possible, or it'll be shot down and you'll lose half the squad. This is something I truly hate because it means the rules are getting in the way of the fluff. Surely our warriors should be gliding around for as long as possible - not jumping out into the nearest hedge at the first opportunity? If I want my troops to spend most of the game skulking in cover I'd play IG.

- Perhaps most troubling, I find myself feeling more and more that our army just lacks punch. I look at the weapons available to other armies - which have better toughness, saves, Ld etc. - and many just seem to outclass ours. I don't mind being a glass-cannon army, but I do object to being a glass-water-pistol army. Rolling Eyes 

Really, I'd like a new book because I'd like to feel that I'm starting on even-footing with my opponents - rather than being on the back-foot before we've even deployed.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
avatar

Posts : 6832
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?   Fri May 16 2014, 14:09

This ^^ pretty much sums up my feeling perfectly.

_________________

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
 
Anyone else shuddering at the thought of a new book?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

 :: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: