HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Malias
Slave

PostSubject: Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)   Thu Apr 03 2014, 18:46

Ok I have lurked on this site for a little while, I always enjoyed Dark eldar models so I found this to be one of the better places to find those awesome space pirates.

However I recently had the pleasure of taking in a few DE models, which were:
Razorwing fighter
1 Venom
5x Scourges.

Now I have around £120 to spend and I use %20-30 discount sites £13 a venom I believe. I am wanting to make a competitive list starting out at 1000 or even 1500(Probably cant afford it) And where else to get help on how to start these guys then Dark city.

I cannot wait to start modeling these guys as I love everysingle model so I don't want to be cheesy just competitive. All advice is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)   Thu Apr 03 2014, 19:45

It's boring as sin but grab five venoms, 30 kabalite warriors, and two ravagers. There. Competitive army at 1000 points.

If you want a little more variety you can swap out 10 warriors for 10 wyches as haywire wyches are always nice to have.

There's a lot of great units in the book, but if you want to win right away, and build a sturdy foundation for your collection, that's the way to go. Once you've gotten the hang of things then you can start splashing in those other units.

I started my army with four raiders, and while raiders most assuredly aren't bad, I'd have won a lot more and built more competitive lists right away if I had started with that sort of foundation.

Edit: Well four venoms not counting the one you own.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)   Thu Apr 03 2014, 19:52

Awesome I assumed that would be the case. Wracks and Incubi seem really fun, wyches to me just seem really meh even though I love the models. S3 T3 on Melee based unit just seems appauling.

Archons look like they can be super fun. I assume Haemonculous(However you spell it) Are the more competitive choice, Wracks as troops+50points.
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)   Thu Apr 03 2014, 20:01

Wouldn't be too sure. Don't forget how much faster an Archon is than a haemo. Trap a soul real quick and you're nigh on unstoppable. Check the "today my Archon killed" thread Wink

Saying that, wrack troops would be mad useful to hold objs, except they don't really do shooting.

Malias
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)   Thu Apr 03 2014, 20:08

Yeh the soul trap is pretty bad ass, although the IC's I come up against are all MEQ based, Mephiston, Belial so killing them would a task in its self. Also no MC's bar a riptide.
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)   Thu Apr 03 2014, 21:45

I think anyone who plays Dark Eldar for a prolonged period of time develops their own style, as aside from mandrakes, none of the unit choices are truly horrible.

As you say, wracks are the best thing we have to hold objectives, but the majority of DE players don't hold objectives, they try to make a mad dash toward them before the game ends. But it's certainly viable if that's the way you want to go.

Wyches are actually far from "meh" if used properly. That little 60 point unit can reliably take out a land raider in one turn. That's why I said 10 of those (5 man squad each) would be just as good.

The most "competitive" HQ in our army right now is the Baron. Lol. But I find the Archon all kitted out with a huskblade shadowfield and soul trap to be too damn expensive. Yeah if you can get him going he becomes a monster, but that's not going to happen consistently enough to justify the points. In a small 1000 point game, yeah I'd either use an archon with blaster or a Haemonculus.

P.S. while I told you to grab two ravagers, I don't use them. I find them to be utter garbage, but most people say they're the best option we have in our heavy support slot, so you know, all I've provided is the easy mode for dark eldar. Once you "get" the playstyle you'll win more games than you lose against most pick up games and the like. There are dozens of way you can play dark eldar, though, and win consistently.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)   Thu Apr 03 2014, 21:48

Most importantly, have fun and try your best. You'll win a lot and even losing will be a blast.

Vasara
Incognito assault marine

PostSubject: Re: Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)   Fri Apr 04 2014, 07:26

AS stated before Venoms and Ravagers are the competitive way to go. Add in Baron and a beastpack with khymeras (and maybe razors).

Every point needs to be dedicated to killing from T1 or T2 latest. DE objective sitters have no place in tournament gaming.

PS Mephy is no IC nor is he MC so no soultrapping him Very Happy Still Huskblade Archon is good at killing him.

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)   Fri Apr 04 2014, 12:29

Ha! I didn't mention beast packs because unless he converts other models, there goes all the budget.

Incognito assault marine

PostSubject: Re: Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)   Fri Apr 04 2014, 12:54

Hellions and Hobbit wolves (but yeah too expencive perhaps)

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Malias
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)   Fri Apr 04 2014, 13:38

Awesome guys. Eventually I wanna be able to field numerous amounts of different play styles. As I know of the different ways you can build and play Dark eldar and everyone is different which seems awesome to me. The beast pack is something I am really interested in, but Im curious to what there strengths are, I mean do you have a beast pack of Khymeara and Flock and charge them up to a blob of infantry? Do they also work best with other packs of beasts, or do they fit nicely with a Venom/Ravager list?

Also wouldnt dire wolves from VC be a better option cheaper and more units, plus more obscured looking.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)   Fri Apr 04 2014, 17:04

Strenght of beast pack lies in its directnes. Its very hard to kill and if it will be left alone it will cry havok and let loose. Within an army of T3 and AV10 thats a good thing to have, because squishy stuff does most of the killing work and they'd be better last to target to maximise the ammount of ultraviolence they bring.

THere are 3 ways of building beastpack. All include baron.

1) All khymeras and beastmasters - whole unit with many wounds and 4++. Objective - to soak damage and assault AV10 Rear and important shooting units.

2) Khymeras and Flocks - like the above, but with little more low AP punch and more squishy. FLocks can be instagibbed, but can dish out so many damage.

3) COmbination of above + Farseer with a shard of anaris, bike and guide. Deathstar type unit. Designed to do the killing work by itself.

Just started DE(Wanting to go competitive)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: