Share | 

Fun campaign design

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lord Puberis
Hellion

PostSubject: Fun campaign design   Fri Mar 07 2014, 08:41

Hi all,

Haven't seen a thread on the forum that deals with this so thought I would ask.

I play DE (obviously) and my friend that I play against is CSM player. Neither of us are particularly competitive and we try out different lists or unit combinations every time we play, this is partly down to the fact that we are both quite new and want to try out the different options available to us.
What we would like to do is run a narrative campaign that allows us to play different mission types that allow us to have some fun as well as make up a story for our armies.

So what I am after is some ideas and inspiration for mission types and special rules etc that would make a difference from running the same missions out of the rule book.
The final thing if people have any ideas, is how to ''level up" a character or unit through the campaign, I'm not a believer in using special characters in campaigns, but would like there to be some incentive for keeping your warlord or favourite troop alive.
I'm not asking you guys to write the campaign, I have the idea for the setting, just for some more experienced heads to help make it fairer (or not as the case may be) and interesting.

Many thanks

Jk
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Fun campaign design   Fri Mar 07 2014, 09:55

For missions, I think the best thing you can do is look at some of the scenarios from OLDER versions o the rulebook.
I'm mainly thinking of the third edition scenarios, which were far more varied and themed. For example:
TAKE AND HOLD: Nominate a piece of terrain in the centre of the board. The player who holds it at the end of the game wins.
MEATGRINDER: One attacker, one defender. When attacker loses a Troops unit, it instead goes into Ongoing Reserves. Defender wins if they have ANYTHING left alive after the last turn.

For example.

Dark Eldar even had their own special scenario you could try out, SLAVE RAID: Dark Eldar player is attacker, and has a special rule for capturing prisoners. Dark Eldar gains points for capturing, and Defender gains points for units that survive.

You see?

As for "leveling up", there are a couple of suggestions I could throw your way.
First, look at the Kill-Team rules. These allow a few models to gain special rules. maybe when one of your characters levels up, they can roll on a chart and gain a new USR?
Alternatively, I'm thinking of the old Bloodbowl rules. Keep track of what a character or unit actually does, and assign points to certain things like killing a unit or holding an objective (remove points for dying themselves though). When a certain number is reached, provide a bonus. A new USR would be best rather than a stat increase.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Lord Puberis
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Fun campaign design   Fri Mar 07 2014, 13:04

Great idea, loved the blood bowl rules, and that's a great idea!
In regards to the older rule books, I have only been playing for a while so don't have those books. Where might I find them?

Please feel free to put as many different ideas as possible!

Jk

"I think the next stage for him is to remortgage and bring a captial Ship...
.....Brings it on a roof rack, leans out the window, rolls a 2+.Wins. Goes Home.
Its the future we're all facing"
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Fun campaign design   Fri Mar 07 2014, 17:37

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/557728.page

That's my group's current campaign, we've had a lot of non-standard missions. Forgeworld Imperial Armor books are a great source for other ideas. Also, I agree about old missions, I'd submit the old BBB (big black book) from 3rd edition is a treasure trove of ideas, and I bet you could snag it rather cheap off eBay.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Archon
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Fun campaign design   Thu Mar 27 2014, 21:43

I second the 3rd Edition Rule Book. There were also tables in the campaign sections about units earning experience and gaining bonuses for future games.
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Fun campaign design   Fri Mar 28 2014, 14:46

The third edition rulebook is amazing, we still use missions from it sometimes, and the terrain lists too. It's got a whole section on how to put together a campaign.
It's the one with all the Black Templars on the front. It even has a "how to paint old DE models" guide. And all the artwork is the best, and the into story.
I miss 3rd ed.

Also it's not like GW still sell it) there are like 4 on ebay USA currently. Buy it now for $9.99

Merged posts - please do no double post. Thanks - Count Adhemar
Back to top Go down
http://Www.bakeframes.bigcartel.com
Archon
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Fun campaign design   Fri Mar 28 2014, 18:42

@ thesaltedwound: I agree completely about the 3rd Edition.

I see them pop up occasionally at a used book store chain called Half Price Books. Old codices can be found there, too.
Back to top Go down

Fun campaign design
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: