Share | 

Dragontree's Kabal

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Dragontree's Kabal   Tue Dec 03 2013, 15:22

I'm still wrapping my head around army design and the rules of 40k in general (having been a 54mm Inquisitor player for several years) so I'm not able to contribute on that front overly..

So thought I'd share my attempts at the Baron(ess) and also give you a few pics of all the models I'm working on Smile 

First the Baroness:

And heres my models in general:

C&C always welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Thu Dec 05 2013, 21:21

Here is the beginning of my venom converted from an old raider. Going to be a pimped ride for either Archon and Incubi or Wracks and Haemonculus.

C&C always welcome (this sound better than begging for posts Razz )
Back to top Go down
Algae
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Thu Dec 05 2013, 22:51

Really cool use of an old batman toy! I like the proportions of it. Is everything going to remain black, or will there be more color on it? I am assuming that is just primer. What are your ideas for the color theme of the army?

Also, I used to fool around with =I=. Were you active on The Conclave at all?

Look forward to seeing your work!

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Thu Dec 05 2013, 23:09

Haha its actually the chassis of an old reaver jetbike with fins from an old raider tacked on the sides and and old splinter rifle stuck on the front with an arm joint from an old wraithlord as the engines....

but yes after I put it together and sprayed it with primer I thought it looked Batman-esque.. a little too much it seems!

I'm thinking some mix of pink/green/yellow with black as the base. Looking to get the whole army together (plans for around 3000 pts of DE) then start painting. Nearly there.

I was Shannow on the Conclave, I still pop on but am less of a contributor than of old. I do have a 54mm dark eldar character though!

Thanks for the comments

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
it's the Starsky and Hutch venom! but I'm kinda ok with that
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Fri Dec 13 2013, 17:43

I apologise for the shoddy photography, only have my phone and a shoddy lamp to work with...

Firstly the baroness.. need to tidy up a lot...

Next is my converted incubi from a dark elf corsair scourges kitbash

and then my kabalites with splinter cannon and sybarite

The Baroness is just the Baron.

The incubi were also designed to double as a voidsworn squad for a corsair prince.

The Kabalites were designed to look like Dark Eldar that had relatively recently turned/could be evil looking dire avengers/could be jump troop corsairs. The jump packs on their back are each eight triangles cut out from square WHFB bases.

Anyway hope you like, I'm a pretty naff painter but I'm relatively happy with this standard for my gaming, hoping to improve like anyone.

Also had my first ever 40k game against IG yesterday but took no pictures or notes so no report.

Convenient given I was dead at the end of turn 4...

C&C welcome.
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Fri Dec 13 2013, 20:51

And here is my evenings work

Sorry for the repeat posting
Back to top Go down
fluffystuff
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Wed Dec 18 2013, 16:14

I like that everything elven is jumbled up and on the table. I like the paint scheme. If you take the pictures outside on a rather cloudy day, then you’re going to have some better results. The clouds soften and disperse the light. It looks like your phone does a good job.
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Fri Dec 20 2013, 11:16

Well I'm not the most organised mind so jumbled works well! I hear what you say about the pictures, sadly I live in an upstairs flat and out door opens straight onto a pavement/road so not much of an option. I've been trying to get one of those natural light (like you use for seasonal affected disorder) to see if that gives a more natural soft tone.

Glad you like the paint scheme, I'm a bit heavy handed but I think its relatively forgiving of that being all scream and shout (unlike the subtlety of your lovely shades).

Thanks Smile

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Sun Dec 22 2013, 23:45

So I've painted up a razorwing jetfighter and a flock of hellions, I just received some more in the post and so will have 14 + the baroness eventually. I repainted some aspects of the Baroness as I wasn't happy with her and thought she lack coherency with my hellions.

Repainted Baroness:

Razorwing Jetfighter:

Hellions:

And finally a group shot of the army so far:

Still very average paint jobs all round but I'm reasonably happy with how its all looking. Let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Mon Dec 23 2013, 09:43

Very nice. Like the green and your baroness conversion. Mebbe add a spot colour like red could be added to make them zing a little bit. It might be your photos but in the group shot I could see that maybe a contrasting colour would really bring out your scheme more.

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Mon Dec 23 2013, 10:11

Thanks for the advice, I have a little yellow on some of the hellions but unconvinced by it. My ability to judge whether more of it would clash is lacking. I'll give red a pop and see how we go Smile

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Mon Dec 23 2013, 11:10

I am not a fan of yellow myself but I think it works ok with green. A colour wheel is a really good thing to use when choosing what colours to use as it can help to see what colours work well together and what clashes. I think a quick internet search will bring one up. There are a few articles out there which do a good breakdown of why they are useful. This one explains it well. It might help in choosing a colour to match Smile http://miniaturepainting.co.uk/articles/theory/colour-theory/

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Mon Dec 23 2013, 11:21

Ta muchly I'll give it a whirl Smile

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Mon Dec 23 2013, 14:00

For your first foray into 40k these are some nice looking figures. The Baroness conversion is really nice, and the paintjobs are pretty dang clean! I agree that another color would be nice, perhaps blue... sort of an Alpha Legion style scheme, or you could look at some Il-Kaithe craftworld Eldar who share a very similar scheme with your kabal. Anyway nice job man, looking forward to seeing more!

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Mon Dec 23 2013, 16:19

Thanks very much cav :)I decided to have a quick go with the blue over the red so here are a few pics of meh freehand and such. I used mordian blue from the old foundations and will go over it with a lighter blue when i purchase one.

thanks again guys its allmuch appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Mon Dec 23 2013, 17:07

I do think it looks good, although I really think it would look much better if you based them. Those models really gets a raise when they are sanded and such.

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Mon Dec 23 2013, 18:06

Thanks! I will be basing them eventually, the bases have cut up sprues already glued on the bases and I'm waiting for dark gravel to arrive, going for a city rubble/ruin look.

Got a couple of zombie bits from the 90's on there as well for added gruesome. Just getting around to it is the issue Razz

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Mon Jan 06 2014, 00:35

Soooo I've finished my venom converted from an old raider, its bloody huge relative to a normal venom but I'm pleased with the look and outcome.

I've also been trying to add blue to everything as a contrasting colour with Mordian blue from the old foundations highlighted with some light blue from the new range which escapes me.

So the Venom:

And the raider with extra highlighted lines:

Comments most welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Mon Jan 06 2014, 07:24

nice models, really like the raider Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Sun Jan 12 2014, 12:52

Thanks Alino, the advice for the contrasting colour has really helped with raider in particular with its wide open spaces.

I've been working on my trueborn, I've made 4 blasterborn, 2 splinterborn, 2 lanceborn and 1 Dracon with a splinter rifle. Though he will usually just be played as a regular trueborn to make the minimum 3 squad with either the lances or the cannons as the blasters ride around in a venom.

I converted them from the old incubi models because they are just so awesome. A little bit of tidying up to do on them, and apologies for my half assed job of stripping the paint from them...

Group Shot:

Dracon/splinter rifle:

Lanceborn:

Splinterborn (I actually prefer the older cannons):

And my blasterborn (2 have actually blaster, 2 have the ends of rogue trader eldar fusion guns bodged together to make blasters):

Hopefully I will get a picture of my eldar allies guardian squad up later

Hope you like.
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Wed Jan 15 2014, 20:29

So I bought myself a box of scourges so I could steal there legs and torso fronts for more incubi!

I've converted another 3 for a total of 8, the plan being to run them with a PGL toting Archon and a haemie who stays in the raider once they have made good their escape for killy death times (with regards my tactics and choices, I have no desire to pick things because they are the best, I pick purely what I like most).

Anyways,, a couple of group shots (apologies for the flash in one)

And some individuals:

I'll whack some pictures of my scourges up when the 5 already done have a lick of paint and the 5 to be converted are glued together. I make them from old warriors legs, dark elves corsairs breastplates and the rest just regular scourges. I enjoy building up the bases out of sprues to give the models elevation before I pin them there... All to be revealed!

Oh and I'm also sort of converting a void raven from mostly a razorwing, some old raider bits and a hemlock wraithfighter...
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Sat Jan 25 2014, 15:47

Painted my trueborn except for the splinter cannons, apologies for grainy-ness:

Having seen these pictures I think I will wash the green again to try and make the highlight less.. rubbish...

Thoughts welcome

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Sat Jan 25 2014, 17:45

I see Incubi Trueborn, you my friend, know how to make distinct trueborn.
and I really like the idea on those Scourge Incubi, cheaper, and in my opinion nicer, then the actual GW models (Got my 5 incubi from their site, and the klaives break alot) so, good conversions!
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Sun Jan 26 2014, 16:27

Thanks Alino, I'm really happy with how the conversion came out, but less than happy with the painting really, hopefully progress in my skills sooner or later!

I really like the current incubi models, they are just too fixed in their poses for my liking and so everyone's looks the same.

Its nice to have some individuals and it does give me a lot of spares and also makes my scourges individual as I have to convert their legs and add height to their bases etc.

Hoping to paint the first 5 of them soon and put up some wips of the other 5.

Thanks for the comment Smile

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   Wed Jan 29 2014, 16:38

Soooo I have painted some scourges, really struggled with the none feather wings as you will see...

Because the standard legs and torsos were used to convert my incubi I had to convert these out of old kabalite legs and the breastplates from the dark elf corsairs boxset. I think this worked well what with scourges having a semi OK armour save... the bases were built up using old sprues and will be painted to look like twisted city scape girders.

I have the solarite to paint (which will be in reverse red/green colouring) and I also have another 5 to convert up and paint which will have 2 heatlances as opposed to haywire blasters.

Also, I painted some eldar guardians in a quick and easy wash/wash/highlight/detail scheme.

Pictures I guess...

Comments and any helpful tips always welcome..

Oh and I have bought gravel and some dead grass looking stuff to add to the bases of al my models..

Any recommendations for what type of glue to use? I was planning on just using PVA?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragontree's Kabal   

Back to top Go down

Dragontree's Kabal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: