Share | 

The Cult of Osiris

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Algae
Hellion

PostSubject: The Cult of Osiris   Mon Nov 04 2013, 23:06

Greetings and Salutations to all.  I made an introduction some time ago, and had promised to post some images of my work here, and at long last I have come to do so.

A little background - I really wanted to make a unique DE force, unlike any that I had seen so far.  I also wanted to play DE because of how (in my area) underrepresented they are.  As such I pictured DE heavily inspired by Egyptian themes.  As such I begin looking through the Tomb Kings kits, as well as the Space Tomb Kings (Necrons) for inspiration.  

I decided to start at 750 points, and rounded out a pretty Venom heavy list.  The idea being to focus on a nice core group of conversions that I can scale upwards.  

Without further ado, here are my Venoms.  They are basecoated grey, and I obviously still need crew.  I took parts of the Necron ghost arc center and added them as wings.  I also took the prow from this kit and added it.  In addition there are some Tomb King shields, and Scarabs to add a little more flavor.  This is the first 3, with a 4th needed to be completed.  

C&C is always welcome for any of my works.  

I have an ancient Haemonculus done and in the process of painting which I will post some time tonight or tomorrow.  
I am also going to be using Tomb King Ushabti as Wracks or Grots.  

What I would like some input on is what to use as a ravager.  My list calls for 2 ravagers with 3 DLs, and I want to completely proxy it (hate the kit).  Ideas so far are using Necrosphinx, a Scratchbuild (maybe an Eldar Falcon turret flyer type thing), or a necron kit.  I would love to hear what you all think!

Thanks,
Algae farao

Last edited by Algae on Tue Dec 03 2013, 17:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Giladis
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Tue Nov 05 2013, 00:22

This look cool though the sharp points at the prow clash aestethicaly with the more blocky additions to the model.

I'll be looking forward to seeing this progress.
Back to top Go down
speedfreek
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Tue Nov 05 2013, 05:31

I think the front prow looks really sweet here.
Back to top Go down
Trystis
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Tue Nov 05 2013, 09:26

This seem like a really unique idea with a lot of great conversion opportunities. The sphinx monster sounds like the best conversion for a ravager. You can also try using some egyptian looking items as objectives/pain tokens to help carry the theme.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Tue Nov 05 2013, 09:47

The Venoms are excellent. Really interesting and unique. Good work!

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Tue Nov 05 2013, 11:51

I am really intrigued by this and cannot wait to see how it develops. As for the Ravager, I don't really know what to suggest in the way of making a new model for it.

I have one small question, however. Wouldn't the front prow obscure the vision of the pilot and limit the firing of the Splinter Cannon?

Other than that, I really like these models. Keep it up Smile

Back to top Go down
Algae
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Tue Nov 05 2013, 17:11

Hey Guys, thanks for all the feedback and comments!

@giladis - any way you think I could make it more aesthetically pleasing? It was interesting cutting off smooth sections, and adding heavier ones, but it was intentional, to make it a little more themed.

@speedfreek - thank you very much! Your thread was one of the main reasons I wanted to convert DE, much appreciated!

@trystis - I like the sphinx monster too it is the epitome of Egypt, so I have been trying to figure out a way to use it - I was debating as to whether or not to make it a biped, instead of the 4 legs. There are a ton of necrosphinx bipeds out there, and I thought it may look cool. I would still need to make it Sci Fi, which is where I am running into conceptual trouble (where to put the 3 DLs). The other option would be to leave it as a 4 legged monster, and try to modernize that somehow.

@Count Adhemar - Thanks!

@Cavash - I was thinking of this too. The one thing I was thinking is maybe the pilot uses some other type of sensor, and not visual. Some of the pilot heads look like they dont even have eye slits, so maybe the same tech is used as a display inside the cockpit. As for the gunner, I am not sure.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Tue Nov 05 2013, 18:17

@Algae wrote:
Hey Guys, thanks for all the feedback and comments!  

@giladis - any way you think I could make it more aesthetically pleasing?  It was interesting cutting off smooth sections, and adding heavier ones, but it was intentional, to make it a little more themed.  
It was just a personal observation based on my own taste, you shouldn't do anything if you like what you did. Smile 
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Tue Nov 05 2013, 18:39

@Algae wrote:
@Cavash - I was thinking of this too. The one thing I was thinking is maybe the pilot uses some other type of sensor, and not visual. Some of the pilot heads look like they dont even have eye slits, so maybe the same tech is used as a display inside the cockpit. As for the gunner, I am not sure.
Ah, I like that idea. Eldar technology can achieve incredble things, so it's certainly feasible!

Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Wed Nov 06 2013, 04:06

for the ravager, I would use the walking Sphinx somehow, best thing to use to me
Back to top Go down
Algae
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Wed Nov 06 2013, 16:23

A small update.  Here is the PIP Ancient Haemonculous.  I owe someone credit (maybe Eye of Error?) for the idea of the bird head.  Fluff-wise I thought that since the cult worships the equivalent of Egyptian gods, why not have the Haemy modify himself to look more like Horus?  The body was taken from the Island of Blood High Elf Mage, and the back bits are Talos vestigial bits.    
As far as the painting, I still need to finish the orb at the top of the staff, as well as add runes to the cloth running down the staff.  Additionally I need to clean up some of the painting in the skin tones, and highlight the blues a little more.  

Please forgive the poor image quality

C&C welcome!

Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Sun Nov 10 2013, 19:18

I like it, not bad painting, I assume the bases are going to be all sandy?
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Mon Nov 11 2013, 10:26

Lorax of the Bleeding Grin, first Kaptin of Da Yamato(?) Welcome to Commorragh mate, nice to see you join us!

Since I have dragon heads on the prows of all of my Raiders and Ravagers, I have to admit that I am partial to a nice bow Very Happy  I really, really like your Venoms, they are certainly unique and I think they look great. I might suggest removing the ring-section on the wing pieces, just cutting them out and then re-joining the inner and outer sections. I find the rings to be rather incongruous, but maybe you have plans for them?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Mon Nov 11 2013, 11:36

I suppose its all going to be that delightful gold and lapis lazuli we always associate with Egypt?

(My Archaeology tutors an Egyptologist, se we have to endure it)
Back to top Go down
Algae
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Mon Nov 11 2013, 22:31

@Gobsmakked wrote:
Lorax of the Bleeding Grin, first Kaptin of Da Yamato(?)  Welcome to Commorragh mate, nice to see you join us!

Since I have dragon heads on the prows of all of my Raiders and Ravagers, I have to admit that I am partial to a nice bow Very Happy   I really, really like your Venoms, they are certainly unique and I think they look great.  I might suggest removing the ring-section on the wing pieces, just cutting them out and then re-joining the inner and outer sections.  I find the rings to be rather incongruous, but maybe you have plans for them?

Cheers.
Color me impressed Gobsmakked!  I did not think I would be recognized by my Avatar!  Cheers for the shout out.  thewaaagh is such a great forum, albeit a bit crowded now adays.  Some fond memories of builds and comments over there.  From what I have seen thus far the dark city is just as welcoming and fun as the early days of thewaaagh!  I loved Orks for the possibilities, but am THOROUGHLY enjoying DE.  Your thread with the necro-dragon heads on the Raider/Ravagers was very impressive - one of the reasons why I decided to go with DE.  

As for the rings, good thinking!  I had never considered this as an option, but I think you are right, it will look far more put together with it as a solid wing peice.  I will try to hack the part off tonight without destroying too much of the ship Very Happy

@Lord_Alino wrote:
I like it, not bad painting, I assume the bases are going to be all sandy?
Yessir!  I am thinking of using some of the Scibor Miniatures Egypt base materials.  They can be viewed here if you have not seen them before.  Lots of sand, maybe some scarabs and scorpions.  Thanks for the feedback, I am not a great painter, so I appreciate the comment.  

@Tengu wrote:
I suppose its all going to be that delightful gold and lapis lazuli we always associate with Egypt?

(My Archaeology tutors an Egyptologist, se we have to endure it)
Yes indeed!  Blue and Gold is the overall theme for the army.  I think blue skimmers with large gold sections will be striking when it is all done.  Any other ideas on "official" Egyptian colors?

Thanks for all the great feedback gents
farao Algae (aka Lorax from thewaaagh)

Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Tue Nov 12 2013, 00:09

Algae, I can see the mess ups on the tubes that run up the Haemy, but frankly the blue mess ups make it look alright, looks like it's reflecting the clothe.
Back to top Go down
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Tue Nov 12 2013, 02:33

Regarding the prows of the Venoms, you could bring the gauss flayer a smidge further forward (assuming it's actually possible) and use plasticard/greenstuff to blend it into the Venom's prongs.

@Algae wrote:

Fluff-wise I thought that since the cult worships the equivalent of Egyptian gods, why not have the Haemy modify himself to look more like Horus?
As a mythology nerd, I have to point out that your Haemi resembles Thoth (ibis-headed), not Horus (falcon-headed), which is actually a good thing as Thoth was considered the god of magic, science, and judgement of the dead, so very appropriate for a haemonculous. Horus was the god of war and sky.

If you decide to make another haemi, I recommend giving him the likeness of Anubis, the god of mummification and the dead.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Tue Nov 12 2013, 16:08

@Erebus wrote:
Regarding the prows of the Venoms, you could bring the gauss flayer a smidge further forward (assuming it's actually possible) and use plasticard/greenstuff to blend it into the Venom's prongs.

@Algae wrote:

Fluff-wise I thought that since the cult worships the equivalent of Egyptian gods, why not have the Haemy modify himself to look more like Horus?
As a mythology nerd, I have to point out that your Haemi resembles Thoth (ibis-headed), not Horus (falcon-headed), which is actually a good thing as Thoth was considered the god of magic, science, and judgement of the dead, so very appropriate for a haemonculous. Horus was the god of war and sky.

If you decide to make another haemi, I recommend giving him the likeness of Anubis, the god of mummification and the dead.
I like your idea regarding the weapon. Just for clarification, you are suggesting resting the tip of the barrel on the prow, so that it looks like it could clear to fire? If so, I will take a look at the models again tonight and see if this is possible, great idea!

Thank you so much for the clarification on the mythology! I will make a note that my Haemi is emulating Thoth. I think an Anubis Haemi is also a great idea. In my next ramp of points upward, I will have to do this idea, thanks!

@Lord_Alino wrote:
Algae, I can see the mess ups on the tubes that run up the Haemy, but frankly the blue mess ups make it look alright, looks like it's reflecting the clothe.
Thanks again, I still have some work to do on my painting, and on the model, but thanks for pointing it out.

Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Tue Nov 12 2013, 16:44

If you want it to be easier to paint the tubes, I would suggest paint them off the model next time Smile
Back to top Go down
Algae
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Thu Nov 14 2013, 17:00

So I have a mini-update for today.  Based on Gobsmakked's suggestion, I went ahead and cut off the ring structure on the wing, and then reattached it.  I liked it so much that I did it for all of the venoms as well.  I took a little filing, and gluing to get it to seat right, but I think it does look much better.  

Last night I managed to put a base coat down with the airbrush, and I am going to start on the blue later today.  

C&C Welcome
Algae farao

Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Thu Nov 14 2013, 17:48

Why would you prime it black and not white? Why're you so racist? So mean.. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU! Razz
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Thu Nov 14 2013, 18:36

Cutting out the ring sections really has improved the look of the Venoms. At first I thought them to look a bit heavy and ponderous for the Dark Kin, but now, they've gained a good degree of sleekness! Would love to see them painted!

Nullus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Thu Nov 21 2013, 19:01

The venoms look awesome. Smile

How about using a necron ghost arc or annihilation barge for the ravagers?
I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Sat Nov 23 2013, 09:54

nullus, the Ghost Ark is ridiculously to big to use as a Ravager Razz I've just put two of them side by side, it's like a rhino next to a land raider -well, not that big of a difference but you know what I mean-

and the Barge is to small, it's a 1 person chariot without Cannon Death on it, but could work if you added some frontage I guess.
Back to top Go down
Algae
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   Sun Nov 24 2013, 05:27

Thanks for the feedback! I have been struggling with what to use as my ravagers. I like the look of the Ghost Arc - maybe I could take a few of the "sections" out and make it shorter. It might be closer to the proper size. The other option was using the Necrosphinx/Warsphinx kit - the biggest problem with that kit is how to make it look Science Fiction. Work continues on the Venoms, they are almost done being painted! Pictures to come soon

PostSubject: Re: The Cult of Osiris   

Back to top Go down

The Cult of Osiris
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: