Share | 

Losing with a BANG!

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GorlanVance
Hellion

PostSubject: Losing with a BANG!   Thu Sep 05 2013, 15:00

Like the title says, I played a close fought game yesterday against my buddies tau. Even though I lost, I was super stoked because a single warrior wrack squad had it's transport blown up, lost nobody, ran it's way up the board (Hammer and Anvil deployment!), cut down a Riptide in CC, liquefied a fire warrior squad down to a man, but failed their charge. Next turn they liquified the last warrior alongside 5 more from another squad before being mowed down after failing their charge again.

Still, those Wracks "w-racked up" quite a kill tally; I counted almost 400pts of models lost to their rampage, and if I had made those charges:twisted: 

Runner up of the game? Urien was at max range charge through difficult terrain and my opponent ignored him, figuring I wouldn't try it. He was right so I launched my Casket of Flensing at the Broadside. 9 shots at Strength 10 AP 3 blew it to smithereens, killing his scoring unit since this was Big Guns Never Tire and earning me the victory point for it. Despite all this I still lost, but it was GLORIOUS.Very Happy 

What's your shining loss?

Please do not swear. If you have to replace half of the word with asterisks then you certainly have no need to use it here. Cavash.
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Thu Sep 05 2013, 18:22

I love games like this. Cinematic and glorious is worth much more to me than a plodding win!

My Archon, for which I use Raging Heroes' Ivana, has had two games where she double Soul-Trapped, and even though the more recent game was lost, lil' ol' Ivana taking down TWO Riptides was epic and memorable!
(Not my model, wish it was!)
Back to top Go down
GorlanVance
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Fri Sep 06 2013, 14:00

@Cavash Sorry o' hamster-y one, I have recently come from the Reddit community. My bad.Sad 

@commandersasha That is super sweet! And that is a pretty awesome model as well.
Back to top Go down
Skyboard surfer
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Fri Sep 06 2013, 15:46

Ah, losing gloriously is pretty much what I do.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Fri Sep 06 2013, 17:20

Archon and seven wyches, charging a lone guardian jetbike squad (9 of them) on opponents deployment zone. They fight there for a few turns, and when combat is done, one girl remains with my archon, all jetbikes are dead.

Meanwhile, I pretty much lost everywhere else on the battlefield. Y'know, since the wych and the archon were my ONLY PEOPLE left on the table.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Sat Sep 07 2013, 00:29

Apology accepted. Also, I'm a guinea Pig. Razz

I haven't had any spectacular losses recently, although, when I do lose badly, it tends to be due to facing too much armour.. Nothing like a wall of rhinos hiding Devastators while three Dreads Plasma everything and suicide rush my Raiders!

Back to top Go down
GorlanVance
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Sat Sep 07 2013, 03:06

@Cavash Apologies, fur clad one. I should have recognized your genetic superiority immediately.

None of my opponents play full mech so that has been somewhat of a relief.
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Tue Sep 24 2013, 01:04

My greatest moments in defeats seem to actually be a large contributing factor as to why I was defeated quite often. Essentially, I get carried away killing stuff and forget about things like objectives, common sense, that sort of thing. In one game I allied in a Farseer, and my Archon and Incubi became invisible for much of the game as they ran around my deployment carving up drop pod Grey Hunters, outflanking Wolf Scouts and (well why not?) a Land Speeder. They slaughtered everything they touched, just because I was thrilled they could actually make it into combat. They could have borrowed a ride after theirs got exploded. They could have walked into the nearby terrain and cleared my opponent off an objective. But instead I went into a killing frenzy with them. I'm better now, but sometimes the red mist still descends...

Probably why I just bought Kharn Laughing 

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Tue Sep 24 2013, 01:28

That's pretty awesome, I should try a Farseer at some point. Also Kharn, what a great guy:P reminds me of this one time my buddy played a mega battle at a store with a well rounded but no particularly high powered Dark Angels list. In a nutshell Azrael, with only one wound left, tanked overwatch fire from a mini-farsight bomb, crushed Farsight in melee along with the onager fist commander and ran the bodyguards off the table. Pretty awesome I thought.
Back to top Go down
RetroGamer1224
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Tue Sep 24 2013, 15:34

First time playing IG this past weekend. 1000 points. First turn I lost everything but some of my CSM allies with their HQ and one reaver. Well I managed to get my reaver into the enemy line taking out two soldiers. Sadly should have charged something else but she did manage to jink a hell of a lot of wounds bother during overwatch and the following shooting round. My allies did better thanks to being in power armor, still ordinance hurts as I was left with my Chaos Lord. Managed to get him close to the gun line but it took a tank shot as well as over 30 shots to finally bring him down.

Skulls for the Skull Throne!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/seekingknight
GorlanVance
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Tue Sep 24 2013, 17:21

Chaos Lord's can be awesome, especially Juggernaut Lords.
Back to top Go down
RetroGamer1224
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Tue Sep 24 2013, 23:31

Would love to try Juggy Lords. Need to either buy a Juggy or mix and match models. Ahh so love it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/seekingknight
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Wed Sep 25 2013, 08:59

I was playing in the UKGT two years ago, a very competitive tournament against a very competitive Guard list with what I would describe looking back as a very lacklustre list.

I was getting tabled by a leafblower list but when everything hits the fan I like to always have a bit of fun with Duke.

A Vendetta had flown round the back in a pincer movement so Duke Sliscus decided to get out of his Venom and run up to it with his Blast Pistol - shot it out of the sky.

Next turn he got back in his Venom, boosted 24 into the Guard lines and took his chances at combat against a blob. That's when the story gets less heroic...

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems

Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Dethdispenser
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Thu Sep 26 2013, 16:04

I played against an IG player. I had Vect with 4 Incubi turbo boost in their raider up to his left flank. His left flank held 2 Artillery Chimera*. He had one Artillery piece on his right flank. My Raider gets shot down and explodes, right in front of his 2 left flank guns. Took no casualties. He tried to just kill off the squad, by his right flanked Big Gun. But he scatters the blast template, right on top of both of his left flanked guns. Destroying both of them. I proceeded to charge vect and his guards through his gun line, I killed off dozens of models losing a guard here and there. By which time I've lost most of my scoring units due to tanks. Vect kept trudging and killed a whole squad and was brought down by 3 heavy squads of Auto Gun Fire. Vect died Sad and thus my game was over. But I had a blast heh.
Back to top Go down
GorlanVance
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Fri Sep 27 2013, 15:43

That is probably the most hilarious scatter I have ever heard of. I was thinking of trying Vect sometime, my main opponent favors almost no TEQ units so his AP 3 is not much of a drawback.Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
clively
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Mon Sep 30 2013, 14:32

Had 3 raiders full of warriors face a necron destroyer lord with 6 acanthrite's. ( IA12)

Having played him before I decided to stand and try to take them out. It took 40 poison shots and 3 DL's to kill the destroyer lord. The next 20 killed one ananthrite. The anacanthrites then hit my lines and took out two raiders in a multi assault. The explosions destroyed half the warriors with one unt running off the table. ( I was cornered ).

The next round went just as badly. More poison, one more dead acanthrite. Then more dead warriors and the raider in assault.

Not the best plan I had but I was tired of running from those things and just had to try something different. I did learn a few things though and have a plan for the next time I meet them.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Mon Sep 30 2013, 15:45

Never heard of Acanthrites. Are they really dangerous in melee?
Back to top Go down
clively
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Tue Oct 01 2013, 03:18

@GorlanVance wrote:
Never heard of Acanthrites. Are they really dangerous in melee?
They are jump infantry so they are fast (24" potential, 19" reliable charge range).  3 W, T5 (so can't ID them), 2 normal attacks, 3+.  Fearless and stealth.  Oh, and they are cheap for what you get... while being available in units up to 9.   The *only* downside I see is that they don't have an invulnerable save.

Think Wraiths, only much better.  Add in a destroyer lord with a weave ( 2+ ) and you have a very hard to remove unit that is in your face way way too fast.

Here's a link to the rules: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/a/acanthrite.pdf

The guy who runs them likes to get close, use their main weapon to kill a vehicle then assault the contents.  Having 3W each and fearless means they are going to be able to stick with whatever they are hitting until it's dead.

The problem is that because they are jump infantry I have to keep my raiders moving too fast to allow the contents to do anything in order to stay away from them.  (They always start near the middle of the table) Or try to speed bump them by sacrificing other units while letting my guys move out.  Given the number of CC attacks they can generate, anything I throw at them would likely bite it pretty quickly.  Wyches would have a very hard time, being S3, to even damage one much less take out a unit.  Incubi fair a bit better but you need to have 10 to handle a unit of 6 acanthrites.

The math says that it takes an average of 20 splinter shots (w/racks), or 6 DL, to kill 1 -- assuming the D Lord isn't there... more if it is.  If they are in RF range, then you can bet whatever is shooting at them will die the following turn.  So, a unit gets in range of a raider w/warriors.  Warriors kill 1.  The remaining 5 move and shoot back: dead raider.  The 5 then assault the warriors.  Warriors *maybe* cause a single wound; then promptly die.  Rinse and repeat.  Point is, you can't just shoot at them.

If I knew I was only going to face them over an evening, I'd load up on Incubi to take them down.  10 Incubi on the charge ought to kill 6 after 2 rounds.  The incubi would have to be in a raider and would need to get the drop on them... but I rarely sink that many points into a single unit.  I'm more of a warriors in raiders and lots of reavers type of guy.    Now that I think about it I might very well throw 10 incubi w/raider in my list just for kicks. If I can kill the D Lord (to remove MSS) prior to assaulting then it ought to work.

Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Tue Oct 01 2013, 09:02

Disintegrator Ravagers sound like a good option here. Should take out the Acanthrites fairly quickly and can threaten the D-Lord too if he doesn't have an invulnerable.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Obyiscus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Tue Oct 01 2013, 14:33

[quote="clively"]
@GorlanVance wrote:
So, a unit gets in range of a raider w/warriors.  Warriors kill 1.  The remaining 5 move and shoot back: dead raider.  The 5 then assault the warriors.  Warriors *maybe* cause a single wound; then promptly die.  Rinse and repeat.  Point is, you can't just shoot at them.
They cannot charge the warriors in the same turn because they shot at a different target (the raider). While this does not fully fix your problem it does give you another turn of shooting with your warriors.

I agree with Adhemar that dissies would work great here, if he is not running a lot of tanks load up on these rather than DLs
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Tue Oct 01 2013, 14:43

@Obyiscus wrote:
@clively wrote:
@GorlanVance wrote:
So, a unit gets in range of a raider w/warriors.  Warriors kill 1.  The remaining 5 move and shoot back: dead raider.  The 5 then assault the warriors.  Warriors *maybe* cause a single wound; then promptly die.  Rinse and repeat.  Point is, you can't just shoot at them.
They cannot charge the warriors in the same turn because they shot at a different target (the raider). While this does not fully fix your problem it does give you another  turn of shooting with your warriors.

I agree with Adhemar that dissies would work great here, if he is not running a lot of tanks load up on these rather than DLs
They can actually charge the warriors. You're allowed to charge a unit that was embarked on a transport if you have destroyed the transport in the same turn.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Obyiscus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Tue Oct 01 2013, 15:19

Really? Do you know what page that is on? (the guys I usually play with are convince that you can't)
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Tue Oct 01 2013, 15:21

It's in a pretty obscure place to be fair, tucked away on page 80.

BRB, Pg80 wrote:
As all models in a single unit fire simultaneously, a squad cannot wreck a Transport and then fire at its occupants. However, if a Transport is destroyed by a shooting attack, any unit that shot it that turn can, if allowed, charge the now disembarked passengers.

Back to top Go down
Mngwa
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Tue Oct 01 2013, 17:50

@Obyiscus wrote:
They cannot charge the warriors in the same turn because they shot at a different target (the raider). While this does not fully fix your problem it does give you another  turn of shooting with your warriors.
Actually, they can. If you shoot at a transport, and the passengers have to disembark (explosion or wrecked), you can charge the disembarked guys, as if you would have used shooting at them.

EDIT: Nvm, this was already covered
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   Sat Oct 19 2013, 17:40

Mine would be a game against the new Dark Angles codex and, incidentally, my second game with DE.

He was using a biker army (led by Sammael on his bike), whilst mine was basic shooty DE. I believe the game was relic.

Anyway, he went first and, after a scout move and then another 12" move, his bikes were basically in my face turn 1 (I think one of his units might have stopped to hold the relic, but everything else advanced to me).

I can't recall many details (it was ages ago), only that the fighting basically turned into a skirmish around my deployment zone. My men mostly stayed in their transports until they were destroyed (not ideal, but it let them use their splinter racks and stopped them getting assaulted by T5 bikes). Anyway, when the smoke cleared, I still had a good chunk of my army left, but he had just two bikes left. Unfortunately, he was winning in points (I assume he got first blood), and I couldn't reach the objective this turn. Basically, in order to win, I had to annihilate him. So, he turbo-boosted his bikes in opposite directions, hoping that the game would end.

Well, I shot what I could at them, but failed to kill them. And, wouldn't you know it, the game did end.

Thing is, it was a lot of fun, and we also had a good laugh discussing what the two bikers would say when they returned to announce their 'victory'.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Losing with a BANG!   

Back to top Go down

Losing with a BANG!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: