HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Are there such things as churches/religion in 40k?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Exort1
Hellion

PostSubject: Are there such things as churches/religion in 40k?   Sun Aug 18 2013, 15:19

Hello, I'm just wondering if there's churches/religion in the 40k universe?
The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of buying these mozaic-themed bases for my Slaanesh Daemon Princes and Pink Horrors and I'm not sure if it would fit lore wise.

I think it would look nice, as if there were a breach in the warp in some religious temple/churches and the daemons came through there. But I'm not sure if it fits lore wise, so if you know more about this please fill me in Smile

If you have any other suggestions for bases that would fit Slaanesh Daemons feel free to let me know Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are there such things as churches/religion in 40k?   Sun Aug 18 2013, 16:02

The Emperor is supposed to have banned all worship and idolatry - it was a big thing for his crusading forces to stamp out organised religion and spread true, secular enlightenment. However, worship of the emperor began to take on very religious overtones during his lifetime, growing after his internment into the Golden Throne. From this cult style worship sprang the Ecclesiarchy. The Ecclesiarchy propagate the worship of the "God Emperor" as they so call him, this religious credo being the driving force behind the Imperium (though Space Marines don't buy into it, revering the Emperor as a superhuman but not divine). Those who deviate from worship are declared heretic, and hunted down and often summarily executed. The militant wing of the Ecclesiarchy is the Sisters of Battle. The Sisters of Battle are fanatical devotees to the Emperor, making war with his enemies readily in his name. They tend to be based in convents, missions and other religious buildings.

So yes, basically Smile 

Also, there's nothing to stop you making up your own religion within the 41st millenium. It's a big ol' universe, after all!

Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Are there such things as churches/religion in 40k?   Sun Aug 18 2013, 16:16

Chaos cults! I can think of no more perfect bases for a Daemon army Twisted Evil 

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Exort1
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are there such things as churches/religion in 40k?   Sun Aug 18 2013, 16:32

Great! Thank you for the quick answers, always interesting to know more about the lore Smile
Well I guess these bases will fit perfectly with my soon-to-be daemon army!
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are there such things as churches/religion in 40k?   Sun Aug 18 2013, 16:35

They also look fantastic - I'm envisioning a Daemon Prince stood on one, surrounded by shards of stained glass (coloured cellophane maybe?) from a window he's just burst through. Where did you find them by the way?

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are there such things as churches/religion in 40k?   Sun Aug 18 2013, 18:15

Within the Imperium
The offical state religion is "the temple of the savior emperor"
There are no other tolerated.

However, TTOTSE is a very broad church, allowing almost any belief.
That the glowing circle that rises and falls each day is the emperor wouldnt cause concern.

The only sides I can think that doesnt have gods at the moment is the Tau and Tyranids, and it wont be long until dead etherials are raised to a Parthenon.

Exort1
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are there such things as churches/religion in 40k?   Sun Aug 18 2013, 18:17

@Mr Believer wrote:
They also look fantastic - I'm envisioning a Daemon Prince stood on one, surrounded by shards of stained glass (coloured cellophane maybe?) from a window he's just burst through. Where did you find them by the way?
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to advertise other website on the forums, so I'll send you a PM Smile
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Are there such things as churches/religion in 40k?   Sun Aug 18 2013, 20:29

I think I've just found the bases I'm going to use for my future Sisters of Battle. Smile

Advertising bases etc is fine.

We frown when people register on the forum just to promote their/a product.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica

PostSubject: Re: Are there such things as churches/religion in 40k?   Mon Aug 19 2013, 15:38

The Imperial Cult is the big religion, they worship the Emperor as a god and it basically is what has hold the Imperium together for so long, the Ecclesiarchy is the head of the church and their head pontiff is part of the High Lords of Terra. Within their cult there are numerous diversions of how things are taught and how people look apon the Emperor, but as long as they claim he is the only god, the big wigs dont care how else things go (as long as they pay their dues ofc)

The Mechanicus have their own religion where they worship the Omnissiah, or the machine god. The Imperium believes that this religion is just a divergence of the Imperial Cult, but in actuality it is its own form of religion in which they worship the Void Dragon, who is most likely a sleeping Ctan.

Finally all Space Marine chapters have their own quasi-religions built into their chapters. Its mainly a bond of brotherhood type deal, but their faith in their chapter puts them up to some fanatical things sometimes.

In other races there are talks of religions. I think we have the most with both the normal Eldar worship of Khaine and the Solar Cults. Add in the Dark Muses which some worship (see Lhamaeans) and you got yourself a diverse religious culture.

So sure, stain glass cathedrals work wonders as bases. Remember too that most large imperial navy ships are basically floating cathedrals with a ton of stain glass and stone work. Same is with imperial palaces and even fortresses tbh.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down

Are there such things as churches/religion in 40k?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DISCUSSION

:: Warhammer 40,000 Discussion
-
Jump to: