Share | 

New Faith in the Dark Eldar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack Frost
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Fri Aug 09 2013, 07:00

Sorry gents and ladies but I've been at a loss for the fight. I love the DE but am struggling to keep my army. I play against mainly Orks and IG. It's just no fun anymore. Any words of encouragement?

DEfan
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Fri Aug 09 2013, 07:16

Whenever I play DE at my club I draw or lose. Whenever I play my bro, I win. That has been the way for 5 years!! I still come back for more. Maybe it is because up until now I have been a very busy dad of 2 young children. Now they are growing up a bit, Dad has a bit more time for toy soldiers and I can play more than 5 games a year. If you already have a win on your side of the ledger against club or FLGS opponents, you have done better than me!

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Fri Aug 09 2013, 08:21

They certainly can be difficult match ups but are by no means unbeatable.

I have yet to encounter something that has been uncrackable--it might require guile, brute force, guts, dumb luck, or some combination of the four but it is doable. Perhaps it might be a good idea to share your experiences with battle reports?

Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Fri Aug 09 2013, 10:38

Dark_Kindred wrote:
Perhaps it might be a good idea to share your experiences with battle reports?
I can't stress this enough! If your having doubts about your army take the time to write up a battle report (pictures or diagrams are a must text is far too abstract). Just take some notes, and photos during the game and the write it up the same day (while the game is still fresh).

Reports are an amazing way to get feedback on how you play, the mistakes you make and how you can improve. They will really help you grow as a player. Hopefully giving you a second wind. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Fri Aug 09 2013, 10:54

IG and Orks can be a tough match up. What sort of list do you run? A bit of a heads up in the models you use can help the forum immensely give some advise if you dont have the time or patience to write a full battle rep Smile

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
CheZZoR
Slave

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Fri Aug 09 2013, 12:21

I usually do quite well vs my friend who plays IG, i'd say I win 70% of the time.. But I guess it depends on the lists and the way they're played..
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Fri Aug 09 2013, 13:10

Do you use enough terrain?

average joe
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Fri Aug 09 2013, 14:16

I came back to 40k at the start of 6th edition after a long break. My regular gaming friend plays Guard and Tau.  The Guard is a tough fight. However the new Tau codex with markerlights, smart missiles, and intercepting Riptides actually made me roll my eyes and say, "Are you kidding me?".  I say all that to let you know I share your pain.

If you can, play another army for a while. I played my son's Dark Angels and beat my friend's Tau.  It took a bad scatter from the Ripetide and I had to cower in some ruins at the end  to pull off the win. If you don't have a second army perhaps you and your friends might swap armies.

Something else you can try is create as much variation in your games as you can. New scenarios, new terrain, new game size. You might find a combination that favors your game style and army lists.

Anyhow don't make too much of your gaming woes you're sure to get some sound advice from the rest of the denizens of the Dark City.
Back to top Go down
Rancid blade
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Sun Aug 11 2013, 06:51

I too used to despair. I used to love my wyches and when 6th ed came out I almost gave up... with the S4 vehicle explosions, and the over watch, and the no assaulting out of portals... bah! After loosing with wyches so many times I just started doing crazy stuff. Try mandrakes! Try Archon's court (the medusa is a boss). Run three talos! Just mix it up. And some things worked. And worked some more... and then I was back to loving the DE all over again!

Here's my tip... get a Farseer on a jet bike. He solves so many dark eldar issues. RB
Back to top Go down
Eldritchwarmaster84
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Sun Aug 11 2013, 16:22

I understand Dark Eldar are the Hardest faction to learn and thats very true. I play Chaos and when i got DE i got my butt kicked alot. But when i started using Kabalite Trueborn and Reaver Jetbikes i started winning games and by alot. Lolz Fun unit i like to use are Reavers of course i love them more than obliterators actually. DE is very unforgiving but when you use them in a certain way oh man it never felt sweeter than winning with Chaos trust me dude not alot of people play Dark Eldar. Black Legion Supplement looks awesome and ill get it but im contributing to DE as well cause they are so fun and make your opponent have a hard time btw Manipulation is as fun as it can get matter a fact better than just straight out killing dude this faction rocks dont quit never give up;) never, one time i almost gave up against IG but i didnt and guess what i roled 3 6's to hit and 3 6's to wound and killed his last leman russ and won the game. Trust me dude DE is Extremely mean and unforgiving to your opponent once mastered Wink keep them please.
Back to top Go down
Klaivex
Slave

PostSubject: Same Problem   Sun Aug 11 2013, 19:42

I have the same problem. I got my ass handed to me today 2 times out of 2.
Pretty depressing. Sometimes i feel like other Armys got more dirty tricks up in their sleeves.
For example i never manage to win vs. Eldar or IG.
Even got tabled today Sad 
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Sun Aug 11 2013, 21:02

Klaivex wrote:
I have the same problem. I got my ass handed to me today 2 times out of 2.
Pretty depressing. Sometimes i feel like other Armys got more dirty tricks up in their sleeves.
For example i never manage to win vs. Eldar or IG.
Even got tabled today Sad 
But good on you for not conceding Smile 

Dark Eldar are difficult to play, both with and against. One regular opponent always says he struggles against my Dark Eldar, even though our wins are probably about 50/50. Another friend said when we first started playing again, "Oh god, I'm not looking forward to you learning how to use them." A decent list gives the impression that it can wipe out an army just by looking at it, bristling with lances, swarming with Reavers, and with one monstrously potent close combat god at the epicenter of a storm of hurt.

Of course, it doesn't always work like that. Sometimes the dice are not your friend. Maneuverability is key to winning with Dark Eldar - even more so than the shooting itself. Lining up your Ravagers so they can see only be seen by their target is huge. I was playing with one Ravager for a long time, and in fact only just added a second. I was very lucky, but also slid around cover very carefully, resulting in it destroying four tanks in one game. Two Ravagers with lances are stupidly potent if your rolls are good - Grey Knights and Deathwing drop like flies to these twin beauties.

Always keep moving, even if it's just an inch to get your jink save whilst a horde advances (shortly before you soar majestically over them only to pivot round and shoot them in the back). I was down on Dark Eldar myself, played orks for a bit and have just returned to them properly. God I missed ballistic skill four! Like others have said, try a different army, even if you just proxy stuff or swap with an opponent - you'll appreciate all the things your little devils can do all the more when you come back to them Twisted Evil 

Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Sun Aug 11 2013, 22:41

We are an army based on batman. Did batman give up when Bane kicked his ass?

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
HERO
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Mon Aug 12 2013, 19:48

@Mush

Pretty sure Batman is T4 3+ at least.

http://lkhero.blogspot.com/
Rancid blade
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Mon Aug 12 2013, 21:09

Also, he would have Eternal Warrior.
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Mon Aug 12 2013, 21:47

Played a 3700pt a side over the weekend, allied with eldar against vanilla and templars

Start of T4, we were in trouble, poor deployment and objective placement meant we were no where near obective, losing the fight for a second and about to lose a fight for a third.
12" move, 18" flat out, 6" move, 6" disembark, 8" charge, and I moved across two full board squares and demonstrated what incubi and archons do to space marines.

What other army could do that? A 50 F-in inch charge!!!

HERO
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Tue Aug 13 2013, 01:03

Wait, what? How'd you manage a 50" charge?

http://lkhero.blogspot.com/
Dark_Kindred
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Tue Aug 13 2013, 02:12

I assume he meant over two turns.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Tue Aug 13 2013, 06:28

If we were able to have a 50in charge range.....oh the wonderful things I would do to tau, oh wait, overwatch nevermind
Back to top Go down
RetroGamer1224
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Tue Aug 13 2013, 15:09

I got most of the range. I am taking it the 6" move was done by aether sails. But I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/seekingknight
agosyb
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Tue Aug 13 2013, 15:33

I definitely struggle against Imperial Guard. Try a power play; Maxed beastmasters joined by the baron and a jetbike farseer with the shard of anaris (for fearless), and roll hoping for Fortune, trying to tank as many hits as you can on the baron's 2+ rerollable invuln. I think I read somewhere that's like a 97% chance of success passing your save. I'm not a math guy. I can't speak much to orks, I've only played against them a few times and usually against new players. I will say if you try to venom spam against guard, you're gonna have a bad time Razz
Back to top Go down
Dark_Kindred
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Tue Aug 13 2013, 18:47

agosyb wrote:
I definitely struggle against Imperial Guard. Try a power play; Maxed beastmasters joined by the baron and a jetbike farseer with the shard of anaris (for fearless), and roll hoping for Fortune, trying to tank as many hits as you can on the baron's 2+ rerollable invuln. I think I read somewhere that's like a 97% chance of success passing your save. I'm not a math guy. I can't speak much to orks, I've only played against them a few times and usually against new players. I will say if you try to venom spam against guard, you're gonna have a bad time Razz
Chance of Fail multiplied by Chance of Fail: (.16666)(.16666)=0.0277
So, a little bit better than 97%

Although Venom spam will blow, Raider Spam is another story because you can get way more Dark Lances that can shoot Turn 1.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Wed Aug 14 2013, 16:29

Even with raiders I found the thing about guard is our rules that we kind of abuse to take an advantage are at their least useful. 4+ to wound on an army that's almost universally t3 isn't very appealing, and av12 is that niche where lance weapons aren't really doing you any favors. I feel dirty typing that, because Str8 Ap2 is still a very capable weapon
Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Wed Aug 14 2013, 18:32

Yeah that was two turns, still very impressive.
Had perhaps the least fun game ever yesterday.
1800pts, little terrain, gunline tau maxed to the store meta, it was just beyond pointless.

It is disheartening, but its not really the DEldars fault.

I am considering a broken Grey Knights list just to pop out on occasions like that.
"You think you have cheese? Eat three storm ravens, three dreadknights and a bucket load of termnators insanely undercosted termnators!"

DEfan
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Faith in the Dark Eldar   Thu Aug 15 2013, 01:42

I played my Tau against a SM player last tournament. He had that totally disheartened look about him that you mentioned. Being unable to multi-assault hurt him badly as he desperately fed his force to me piecemeal to exploit my weakness in close combat. It was brutal with few losses at all to my force. I asked if he felt that Tau were overpowered, but he replied that it was more like I had a list that could counter his very effectively. I do feel that "jink" should not be regarded as a cover save, but an invulnerable save. Surely, a bolter round would travel faster than a thrown flame however we can shrug off bullets with far more ease. Flame wastes DE.

New Faith in the Dark Eldar
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: