HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dogmar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Avatar base size   Wed Jul 10 2013, 15:38

So, I recently got myself an old metal Avatar of Khaine. It came with a 40mm base which it barely fits onto. Since the Avatar ist a T6 W5 monstrous creature I thought its base would be more walker sized, say like the 60mm of a wraithlord.

I also think the FW avatar is on a bigger base. So my question is: which size is game legal? Before I invest time into building a scenic base for him that I'm not allowed to use that would be good to know,
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Avatar base size   Wed Jul 10 2013, 15:39

From GW website:

Quote :
This pack contains The Avatar of Khaine - a finely detailed resin cast kit that comes in five components and is supplied with a 40mm round base.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Avatar base size   Wed Jul 10 2013, 15:46

Wow, totally overlooked that... d'oh! Thank you Smile

Still, what if I had the FW avatar that comes on a 60mm base? Still legal? I know there is a rule that says any model is game legal on the base size it comes with, but then I'd have 2 rules-wise identical models on 2 different base sizes.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Avatar base size   Wed Jul 10 2013, 15:56

BRB pg 3:"The rules in this book assume that models are mounted on bases that they are supplied with ....you should always feel free to mount the model of a base of appropriate size if you wish using models of a similar type as guidance.

You see many SM players mount their HQ's on 40mm without complaints. When that Avatar model was released it used a 40mm square fantasy base. The FW model does indeed use a 60mm, but is larger. The metal Avatar looks goofy on either the 40 or 60mm IMHO, but I would go with the 60mm. I know that Phil Kelly (I think it was him, if not it was another GW staffer) used a metal Avatar with a 60mm in several battle reports.

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Avatar base size   Wed Jul 10 2013, 16:40

What about something in between then? 50mm? I personally find the sculpt quite cool. By no means even near as good as the FW one, but to be fair, mine only cost me 10$ instead of 90$, so I guess it's something Wink
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Avatar base size   Wed Jul 10 2013, 17:02

I'd pass on both of the above models and field the original avatar on the 25mm base, personally Wink

I personally don't think you'll run into troubles running your Avatar on anything between 40-60mm.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Avatar base size   Wed Jul 10 2013, 18:08

@Thor665 wrote:
I'd pass on both of the above models and field the original avatar on the 25mm base, personally Wink
For any of you that "missed" the original:

And yes, that is a 25mm base. Evil or Very Mad 
I'm a nostalgic old-timer...but this is going too far Razz

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Avatar base size   Wed Jul 10 2013, 18:49

Now you sound like those players who grump about me fielding my Ghaz on 25mm base - it's what he came with darn your eyes! And it's officially Ghaz Wink

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Avatar base size   Wed Jul 10 2013, 22:32

In my experience, people generally don't mind you going for a larger base, but do object to a smaller one. With that in mind, it's worth pointing out that going from 40mm square to 40mm round would be moving to a base smaller in area, so people may well object to that. I can't be bothered to work out whether a 50mm round is larger or smaller than a 40mm square, but it may be worth checking.

Personally, I'd have no objection to facing it on a 40mm square base. (Though I wouldn't object to just about any other base either, including 40mm round - 25mm may be going too far.)
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine

PostSubject: Re: Avatar base size   Thu Jul 11 2013, 06:40

Avatar apears to have many choises over the years. Mine was suplied with 40mm square base.

Good to know that it is supposed to be 40mm round cos I would have put it to 60mm round base I'd taken it to tournaments.

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica

PostSubject: Re: Avatar base size   Thu Jul 11 2013, 14:59

I actually love the old Avatar Model. That cape is so badass Very Happy

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Avatar base size   Thu Jul 11 2013, 15:09

@Shadows Revenge wrote:
I actually love the old Avatar Model. That cape is so badass Very Happy

I have it at home and it has been serving as a "Counts as" Fire Dragon Exarch for many years now.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

MERCENARIES & ALLIES

:: Craftworld Eldar, Ynnari, Harlequins & Corsairs
-
Jump to: