HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HokutoAndy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Mon Jul 01 2013, 16:34

Let's say that an FAQ says "Venoms can trade their underslung s.cannon for a Blaster for +15pts*"
Would such a change make them broken? Would you see a sharp decline in Raider usage?

'Cause in my wishlist image of the Dark Eldar, I can see an underslung blaster mount. It's just aesthetically pleasing to me. Also the imagery of an agile venom darting through the battlefield, flanking a chimera and blasting it open in short range for the warriors to dismount and spray the survivors with splinter fire is cool.

*what points value should trading a spinter cannon for a blaster be?
Do you think it would be fair to trade both splinter cannons in for blasters?

Last edited by HokutoAndy on Mon Jul 01 2013, 16:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Mon Jul 01 2013, 16:39

Won't happen because they would have to reconfigure the sprue to fit blasters on it, and that costs time and money for very little gain.

Venoms are arguably already broken.

A single blaster and a splinter cannon would just be plain bad though, as the vehicle would have an identity crisis (do I shoot tanks and waste my splinter cannon shots or do I shoot at infantry and waste my blaster shot?). Not to mention the range inconsistencies.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Mon Jul 01 2013, 16:41

I don't think it would be broken at all and I actually doubt I'd pay +15 points for the upgrade. It would basically mean that you are wasting either a blaster shot or 6 splinter cannon shots as they are intended for different targets. The blaster also has a very short range which will make your Venoms vulnerable to melee units.

If you could replace both Splinter Cannon with Dark Lances I might consider it but that would likely cost +10 points per weapon over the Splinter Cannon (so 20 over the splinter rifle).

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Mon Jul 01 2013, 16:43

Also, at +15 points why wouldn't you just take the Raider and get better range and, otherwise, the same effect? Just for a smaller model with less hull points? I know I wouldn't.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
HokutoAndy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Mon Jul 01 2013, 16:46

Edited it.

How about if the blaster was +10pts?
What if you could trade in both splinter cannons for a blaster?

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Mon Jul 01 2013, 16:51

@HokutoAndy wrote:
Edited it.

How about if the blaster was +10pts?
What if you could trade in both splinter cannons for a blaster?

In general you are looking at splinter cannon for 10 points, blaster for 15 and dark lance for 25. So if the current dual-splinter cannon Venom is 65 points then exchanging for 2 blasters would make it 75 points. I wouldn't do it personally.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Mon Jul 01 2013, 16:55

At ten points for one you'd be paying out 5 less than a similar Raider, at that point 5 points would get you +1 Hull point + 18" range and +5 transport capacity.
I'd probably still field the Raider every time.

Now, if you could go +10 points to change your S.Cannon to a Blaster and then pay an additional 10 points for either a S.Cannon or a 2nd Blaster...that gets more enticing. Yeah, at that stage you'd be paying +5 points for half range but double shots, and as we all know weight of fire is how lances work. At that point I could see debate about which was best, and therefore it's probably a very nice upgrade option. It might be a touch too good, as I have to admit I'd probably stop using Raiders except for 6+ man units, because that much extra lance fire would be highly desirable, and you could mix and match with S.Cannons in the mix as well. So you could have a potent force of anti-infantry and anti-mech shooting all without ever having to get out of your gunboats Wink

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Mon Jul 01 2013, 17:01

@HokutoAndy wrote:
Also the imagery of an agile venom darting through the battlefield, flanking a chimera and blasting it open in short range for the warriors to dismount and spray the survivors with splinter fire is cool.

And the imagery of an agile venom darting through the battlefield, flanking a chimera allowing the embarked trueborn to blast it open so that it can slaughter the survivors with it's splinter cannons isn't? Wink

While we are at it what about double heatlances? Or double haywire blasters... (though that would be game breaking). Twisted Evil

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
HokutoAndy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Mon Jul 01 2013, 17:17

@Mushkilla wrote:
@HokutoAndy wrote:
Also the imagery of an agile venom darting through the battlefield, flanking a chimera and blasting it open in short range for the warriors to dismount and spray the survivors with splinter fire is cool.

And the imagery of an agile venom darting through the battlefield, flanking a chimera allowing the embarked trueborn to blast it open so that it can slaughter the survivors with it's splinter cannons isn't? Wink

Venoms are already cool as they are with their super splinterspam, yeah.

My particular fixation on anti-armor venoms though is because of the movie Venus Wars, which featured monocycles with anti-tank guns that struck at less agile tanks in their flank and rear:

The 40k version of this imagery would be a jetbike with a lance/fusion weapon.

Yeah, fusion reavers are very cool, and I've always wishlisted for fusion guns on Jetbikes heh.

Back to top Go down
DominicJ
Wych

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Mon Jul 01 2013, 17:53

Blaster, no.
Two lances on a venom would be mega broken.

Crazy_Ivan
Wych

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Mon Jul 01 2013, 18:00

Two lances on a venom would be very broken! But in the path of the renegade book Xelian's venoms do have lances on them.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Mon Jul 01 2013, 18:01

@HokutoAndy wrote:

Things like that already in the game:

-Reaver jetbike with blaster/heatlance.
-Eldar Vyper with birght lance.
-Tau Piranha with fusion blaster.

Hope that helps. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
HokutoAndy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Tue Jul 02 2013, 07:24

@Mushkilla wrote:
@HokutoAndy wrote:

Things like that already in the game:

-Reaver jetbike with blaster/heatlance.
-Eldar Vyper with birght lance.
-Tau Piranha with fusion blaster.

Hope that helps. Very Happy

Definitely, and don't forget their big brother, the attack bike/Speeder with multimelta!

I've been a fan of Vypers since they came out (but never really fielded them due to how crummy they were before 6e), and wish that CWE had an equivalent to the Venom (I know Corsairs have their own though with limited weapon options).

I also enjoy thinking up of wishlists/armylist variants, and want to get feedback from y'all who have lots of experience with venoms and raiders.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   Tue Jul 02 2013, 09:56

I think to make venoms broken is -may replace splinter cannon with darklance for free and may replace splinter rifle with darklance for +10 pts and may make both weapons twin-linked for +10 pts- Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?   

Back to top Go down

If Venoms could take Blasters, would they be broken?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: