I currently have a force of around 1200 points give or take consisting of:

2 Archons
a Succubus
29 Warriors
10 wyches
10 Hellions
a Raider
2 Ravagers

What units would be most valuable to invest in next? Apart from transports, I know I need more of those.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pwnem.com
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie

PostSubject: Re: What should I get next?   Sun Apr 07 2013, 12:13

Have you written any army lists? What size games do you normally play? These would give you an indication of how your force will grow.

For example, most of my games are at 1500 but I sometimes play at 1850 and on rare occasions I go to 2000 so my focus is on 1500 - getting that painted. I do however have models for the higher lists as well.

Also don't be afraid to buy something just because it looks cool and/or want to paint it.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Selvhan
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: What should I get next?   Sun Apr 07 2013, 16:14

From what I learned so far, get some venom and more Kabalite that can be converted to Trueborn.

A flyer can really help you.

I really enjoyed my Incubi so far. I use 4 of them in a venom with an archon. They are my terminator hunter.

I decided to go toward shooting more than CC list ( 2000 ).

If you prefer CC, go for wyches with Haemonculus inside a Raider.
Back to top Go down
Skyboard surfer
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: What should I get next?   Sun Apr 07 2013, 18:04

Sky Serpent is spot on of course.

Apart from that the obvious omission (to me in my limited experience) are Reaver Jet Bikes which are really useful and look cool as anything Cool

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: What should I get next?   Sat Apr 27 2013, 00:33

You clearly need the last Heavy support spot filled, best with a flyer or a third ravager. The Tri ravager spam is the best HQ you can dream of, however it does get boring, using other units makes it more interesting.

Basics of a dark Eldar army : fill th 3 heavy support slots, then take lots of troops.

Reavers are cool I admit, but they're not as good as you think

Get a Heamonculus for sure, it's cheap, perfect HQ for small battles. An archon is overkill, don't even need 2 archons, unless you're playing apocalypse. The succubus isn't particularly good, it's an optional second HQ, used mostly for fun rather than effectiveness, frankly heamonculus are just better, cheaper and give pain tokens to the units they join.

The best Fast Attack We've got are Beast, razorwings and Khymera, though expensive, they're worth it, you can take either chaod hounds or undead hounds as Khymera.

The hellions are cool both in models and flfuf, but they're not particularly useful, not that they're bad, but you got so many more useful and simply better units. I find these to be better as troops, they serve as mobile polyvalent troops, they're both average at cc and at shooting. Something in between a warriors and a wych.

Wracks are also pretty decent troops.

Incubi are a good Elite choice, they perform very well and they're obviously one of our best cc units.

Wyches aren't that good in cc anymore, they perform more poorly than ever, the better lists are the shooty ones.

Obviouslly for now priority one is :third Heavy supoort slot
Get that heamonculus, it's the best HQ, unless you make the army bigger and add something like incubi to serve as bodyguards for the archon.

Fill your troops after that and then only you can start thinking about Elites and Fast attack, however yes like you said it yourself, you need the raiders bigtime.

The Biggest Kabal ever, be sure to check it out if you haven't, old and new units.
The Biggest Dark Eldar Apocalypse force you'll find on the net.

My Eldar Facebook Page, feel free to join. All Eldar factions allowed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: What should I get next?   Sat Apr 27 2013, 08:48

@Khain mor wrote:
Reavers are cool I admit, but they're not as good as you think,

No you're right. Reavers are even better than you think. They are one of the power houses of the codex this edition. The Kings of fast attack.

@Khain mor wrote:
The succubus isn't particularly good, it's an optional second HQ, used mostly for fun rather than effectiveness, frankly heamonculus are just better, cheaper and give pain tokens to the units they join.

For her points, she's a bargain. She's more effective then the same number of points spent on wyches! Fantastic is small games. Great in bigger games as long as you pair her with grotesques (she has fantastic synergy with them).

@Khain mor wrote:
The best Fast Attack We've got are Beast, razorwings and Khymera, though expensive, they're worth it, you can take either chaod hounds or undead hounds as Khymera.

Large beast units are not that great any more.

They lost their wound allocation. Now you can't even look out sir to models within 6" (you have to look out to the nearest model). With the addition of helldrakes (S6 torrent flamer), Noise marines (S8 blast ignore cover), GK Interceptors/Dreadnight (S6 torrent flamer/flamer) and more importantly Tau markerlights, they have a rough time. All those weapons ignore their main form of defence (cover) and insta-kill razorwing flocks. Even worse they need the baron to be viable. It's a lot of points for a unit that a lot of armies just laugh at this edition.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
SebastionSynn
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: What should I get next?   Sat Apr 27 2013, 11:18

Sorry for hijacking this thread but it's exactly the same thing I need to know.

Current Models
1 Archon - just picked him up today
10 Kabalite Warriors
1 Venom
3 Raiders - oop and tore apart to rebuild/repaint/redo to make them closer to the new Raiders.
1 Razorwing

if everything goes right, i'll have the following
1 Lelith Hesperax
1 Kruellagh the Vile - (counts as whatever???)
2 Urien Rakarth
1 Succubus and
20 Wyches

We usually play at 1500 pts or above at my FLGS, i know i need more Kabalites, that's a given, it's the other stuff i'm wondering about. I'm pretty much open to play styles/lists with Dark Eldar, having not really played them before, so right now it's a process of discovering what play style i like best. Suggestions are welcome, just remember that supposedly in a month Eldar will be out, and I will be broke for the rest of summer, so the wallet is a concern as always.
Back to top Go down
Deamon
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: What should I get next?   Sat Apr 27 2013, 11:42

@Mushkilla wrote:

@Khain mor wrote:

Large beast units are not that great any more.

They lost their wound allocation. Now you can't even look out sir to models within 6" (you have to look out to the nearest model). With the addition of helldrakes (S6 torrent flamer), Noise marines (S8 blast ignore cover), GK Interceptors/Dreadnight (S6 torrent flamer/flamer) and more importantly Tau markerlights, they have a rough time. All those weapons ignore their main form of defence (cover) and insta-kill razorwing flocks. Even worse they need the baron to be viable. It's a lot of points for a unit that a lot of armies just laugh at this edition.

It's true they are expensive and they got hurt by the FAQs. It's harder to play them but they are still awesome. If I face S6 attacks, I throw my beastmasters and my Khymera in front to sacrifice them because what I want is to preserve my Razorwing flocks until I can get into assault, which usually happen turn 2 or 3 at worst. Another options is to pair them with Eldar allies. Eldrad and Maugan Ra an good choice but yeah, it makes the unit very expensive. You need to put other threats on the table so they don't take all the shots.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: What should I get next?   Sat Apr 27 2013, 12:37

Oh they are still usable. Just not the end all be all unit they used to be. They lack deployment flexibility, and require a lot of support (invisibility etc).

That being said small units of them are really awesome (4 flocks 2 beast-master), so cheap for the damage they put out (84pts for 22W and 28 S3 attacks), and can draw S6-8 shooting away from the rest of your army, easy to hide too.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Ivan
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: What should I get next?   Sat Apr 27 2013, 17:48

Go for some grots to go with your archon makes a really good unit and they are very good in cc, the GW models are expensive though so I would make your own.
Back to top Go down
SebastionSynn
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: What should I get next?   Sat Apr 27 2013, 22:10

@Crazy_Ivan wrote:
Go for some grots to go with your archon makes a really good unit and they are very good in cc, the GW models are expensive though so I would make your own.

i guess that goes for both me and the original poster then, eh, Ivan? i been thinking about that as well, and really like the looks of the skaven rat ogre conversions. probly going to go that route, but that will take me a bit to find everything i might want to inlcude into the models parts wise. thanks for the tip.

anybody else have something to chime in on what we should into getting?
Back to top Go down

What should I get next?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: