HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Soundslave
Slave

PostSubject: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Sat Mar 16 2013, 07:26

I'm as newborn as new 40k players come. Ive been around for roughly 1 month and have no experience with any game like this nor have I painted anything smaller than a picture frame. C&C warmly welcome. I need to get the hang of this.

The soul reason why I chose DE was because of the design. I had no idea what these guys had in store for me.
So, anyway, let's start with the units I think have the very best design: Scourges.

Like I said, I had no clue if these were any good or not, so I bought them just for the design. As far as I can understand they are overpriced and mostly just fun to play, not very good?

These are my "Skin winged" Scourges. Red leathery effect on the wings and black skin on the "wing arms". It's very difficult to get right, and I still have a long way to go here to make it look good.

This is 1 of 3 of the Fethered ones with 1 color tone. As the rebel I am I chose to go 1 yellow, 1 Golden and as you can see 1 pink. Not very DE'ish I'll admit, but hey, stick it to the man! I thought it looked like fun. (PS: Also check out the base of the Scourge in the background that has a coin under it's base. Incredibly helpfull, as they fall over way too easaly)

There are my Feathered Shades of Color Scourges. Basicly it's just me practicing getting different shades of the same color for better blending. It made a couple of hardcore DE veterans at the local game arena sneeze though, as this is way too "happy looking" for the DE to be.

Ill post some more pictures of the other units as soon as I get the pictures taken.

PS: English isn't my first language so please go easy on my spelling etc.
Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Sat Mar 16 2013, 09:39

The cool pictures do all the talking mate, no need to worry about that!
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Sat Mar 16 2013, 10:10

Welcome to The Dark City, Soundslave. For someone who has never painted a miniature figure before, you are extremely good. The body armour and weaponry on your Scourges look terrific (and they are not such a bad unit to have, at all).

As for the wings, I will say three things - 1) you can paint your army however you want, if you like it, that is all that matters, 2) good on you for practising your blending, that is an important skill to have and as good as these are, they will only get better as you do, too, and 3) Dark Eldar take drugs, all sorts for all different reasons, they can be as 'happy looking' as they want!

Keep up the good work, I am looking forward to seeing more from you.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Sat Mar 16 2013, 11:41

Can we assume you have some sort of art experience? Or at least a steady hand and eye for colour?

Either way these are fantastic, I love the wide use of hues and tones.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems

Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Soundslave
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Mon Mar 18 2013, 18:23

Tanks for the feedbacks and welcomes guys!

I'm glad to hear my colors are met with a bit warmer welcome here than from others.
Oh, and Mr Gobsmakked, you noticed my blending, and I was wondering if you had any tips on this on these forums or elswhere? I spend at lot of time and paint on this, but I just can't get it right (as a picture of my Raider on this post, and an upcomming picture of a Jetfighter will show).
Mr. Sky Sepent, I got no art experience at all. I got something called chronic pain syndrome that makes my hands constantly shake badly (something among the lines of an alcoholic). There's ways to handle this though, even though its very difficult. When it comes to having an eye for color, I have a little experience for this from inteior design. Thanks for your high thoughs though Razz

Anyways, my next input to my project log is the 3 Reaver Jetbikes that came with the DA Battleforce pack I started out with.

I've been having some discussions with my friends about the ammount of "Nuln oil" that has been used on these and not at least how it was applied. The reason why I made them look so dirty and very un-maintained is because of the story behind the Reavers and the Razorwing. Apparently all/most Reaver riders have the goal of prooving themself worthy to be a Razorwing pilot. So, not only is their only purpose to just survive and constatly upgrade their bikes, but also because of the nature of the Death Races the jetbikes might explode or be damaged up in the air, oil/ petrol will splash around and of course the dust and dirt would fill the air in these arenas. It just seems to me that the lack of pride in the vehicles themself and the soul goal being survival and prooving themself worthy would indicate that these bikes were "dirty" looking. What do you guys think?

Next up is a very early stage of my Raider.

As you can see I am yet again trying to get the hang of this blending teqnice. Just like my x-gf it looks good on a distance, but when you see it up close its a wreck of sad stories and a soggy soup of regrets. Again, any tips or links that would help me improve this would be highly appreciated. Another thing is the shield in front of the DL gunman. Its currently painted with Runelord Brass and I'm not sure if that was the right choice. It dosen't seem to be in cohernace with the rest of the color tones. Thoughs? Anyways, this model has no highlights or shading yet, so it'll be a lot more complex next time Ill post it.

Cheers~
Back to top Go down
King Alacran
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Mon Mar 18 2013, 21:19

a big thing for saving money/ number of guys needed to paint and assemble is magnetize the special weapons. especially with scourges they can fill so many roles in a army with the different weapons or the same role with variations that magnetizing arms really comes in handy so if you want them decked out with splinter cannons for troop killing or one of the three other AT options for tank suppression. scourges are a good unit its just when compared to reavers and the animal cirques that they fall a little short it like picking a good knife or a even sharper one its all in delivery.

Dark Eldar come in every paint scheme they are just a grouping of gangs and pirates anyways. just watch the movie The Warriors if you need examples of colorful gangs Very Happy

btw did you mean to point the reavers display panel thing backwards. like a camera or laser

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Mon Mar 18 2013, 23:26

Well spotted on the display panel hehe. I didn't mean to no... but then again, lets just say thery are some kind of camera cencor for precicion targeting for the Cluster Caltrops Wink

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Tue Mar 19 2013, 04:22

Using a wet palette will help with the blending. I would also suggest using larger(non-GW) brushes for the hulls on vehicles. It is much easier to blend large surfaces using a #6 or 7 brush. Cheaper too Twisted Evil
Good stuff so far Very Happy

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Soundslave
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Tue Mar 19 2013, 04:30

Ah, interesting. Ill go get some new brushes tomorrow then. Ive only used the "Army Painter - Character" brush so far because I love how steady it is in my hand (triangular grip). They should have some bigger ones I hope.

Also, a softer brush is better right?

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Tue Mar 19 2013, 04:39

Softer is better for blending. Go to a regular art supply store and look at their brushes for acrylics. You will also have access to round or flat profiles (both are good for different things) at roughly half of the price. I don't know if Princeton brushes are available in Norway, but I can recommend them highly.

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Back to top Go down
Soundslave
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Tue Mar 19 2013, 18:08

Ah damn, noone sells them here. I can however get them on ebay.
Any particular you like? Obviously one for each purpose, but maybe I can try out 1-2 to see if they work for me.

Btw, just looked at your project log, amazing stuff I must say. Didn't know if I should be motivated to do better or just become a manic depressive.

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Wed Mar 20 2013, 02:56

Thanks for the complement!
I looked at my brushes and found that I use the round profile for all of the Princeton brushes. Half of them are from the "Select line"(these have a seafoam green handle, the other half are their basic model acrylic brushes(darker green handles) I have sizes ranging from 1(equivalent to a GW Standard Brush) to 6's (smaller than a GW tank brush, but FAR larger than a GW Large Brush)

Back to top Go down
Soundslave
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Wed Mar 20 2013, 04:55

Very well, thanx for the tips, Ill def look into getting them as Im NOT happy with the GW brushed, and decently happy with the Army Painter brushes.

In other news, new pics on my Rider will come tomorrow. I am NOT happy with what ive done. Tried to use use Badab Black Black shade on one of the hull sides and it looks terrible. I then tried to use some Nulin Oil for the rest and it looks better but not very good.

A few regrets later and some beer I decided to try to do some highlights, with Wild Rider Red... which... didn't look very well. I feel like my first Rider is pretty much runied.

Anyways, more on that tomorrow, after my first game against Space marines. (That'll be interesting to say the least) Wish me luck.

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Wed Mar 20 2013, 22:16

So this is it. This is what happens when I tried to go creative and also use a new wash.

The only thing Im happy with is the Dark Lance shield up front. Mixed some red and brown tones and it turned out rusty looking.
The highlits on the sail is decent enough, but I kinda overdid it on the back bit (don't know what it's called in english).

Any suggestions on how to spice it up a little?

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Wed Mar 20 2013, 22:20

How about changing the colour of the spikes to something more metallic? Also the ram could have a contrasting energy sheen or something. Perhaps even paint the underside of the ship black/metallic? The sail could also become either contrasting or complementary, bit a different color than the hull.

All of this would help to break up the red a bit.

Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Wed Mar 27 2013, 04:39

wow O.o, that is like 10,000X better then my first thing known as a raider. It now looks like something found in a trash heap, my new old ones (new old models, old models whatever) look alot better (just cause they are the old models, nothing beats them)
Back to top Go down
Soundslave
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Thu Mar 28 2013, 04:41

Kinnay: thanks for the ideas, Ill look into that.
Alino: Thanx man Smile

WIP:
So I've been working on some Blasterborn Venoms. What I wanted was a new color scheme to go with the rest of the army. In the shot I looked at Screamer Pink, and thought it would go well with the rest of the army. Oh, but no, I was wrong. Screamer Pink did not look very good together with the Mephiston Red, Wild Rider Red and Lothern Blue. Still, I really liked how the Screamer Pink looked. So what was I to do? Stuck as I was I sent a PM to Evil Space Elfes (as his work is quiet frankly amazing). He suggested I'd use Administratum Grey as a secondary color, and that would blend the color schemes together. Was he right? Damn right he was.

As you can see these are not done. But I was so pleased about how well the colors went together, I felt like sharing. The guy standing on the guy is what the basic colors of the Blasterborn will be (yes yes, i know he's holding a Splinter Rifle). Ive been testing out different washes (and no-washes) and can't really make up my mind on what to do. The one in the back has some Nuln Oil wash on the hull, and some Reiksland Flesh Shade on the sculls ++. I also tried out the Brushes Evil Space Elfes suggested and the shading I made on the nose of the one in the back turned out to be the best I've been able to do so far.

C&C wanted. - Big thanks to Evil Space Elfes for his help.

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Thu Mar 28 2013, 04:54

On the venoms I would try and add some highlights in the same color but tinted.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12640-band-of-the-unbending-thorn#142250

Still fighting the world and saving damsels in distress. ~Raven
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Thu Mar 28 2013, 04:56

nice venoms, idk if your going to do this or not, but i would suggest painting their bases
Back to top Go down
Soundslave
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Wed Aug 26 2015, 17:09

It's been a while sinse I posted here, but I took this cheesy armyshot and felt like sharing.

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Wed Aug 26 2015, 18:44

Holy funky shot! You sure you got no experience? That stuff is good looking!
Back to top Go down
Soundslave
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Thu Aug 27 2015, 05:51

Like I said, I haven't posted in a while, been two years sinse I started, tthings might have improved. Photography I've been doing for a few years though. Thanks btw!

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   Thu Aug 27 2015, 07:13

Excellent work here. The red and black colour scheme works extremely well.

Like what you have done for your Reavers to tie it in with the fluff behind them, great idea.

One thing to remember, your army is what you want it to be, no one else should impose on you what your army should look like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies   

Back to top Go down

Kabal of Spikey Stabby Stabby Junkies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: