Magnetizing vehicle options?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kinnay
Wych

PostSubject: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Thu Jun 16 2011, 12:18

Hey guys,

Right now I'm building my first Venom (first Dark Eldar model, first 40k model for years) and wondering if I should magnetize the vehicle upgrade options, such as the Chain Snares, Grisly Trophies and such. I guess I should magnetize the weapons for Weapon Destroyed results, but the upgrades?

What do you do?

EDIT:

And speaking of which, what do you do with the passengers? Do you even use them? I think I'm going to stick with just the gunner. This way there is just enough space left on the platform to put one single model on an infantry base on the vehicle, to show that a squad is embarked. What's your take on this?

Radium
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Thu Jun 16 2011, 13:02

I magnetized all of the weapons, and I don't use the passengers.
Magnetizing all of the options is only something I would do if I wanted to change what I use a lot of the time. But I feel my vehicles are fine with just flickerfields and/or night shields.

My Archon's latest trapped soul: Kairos Fateweaver
Back to top Go down
Kinnay
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Thu Jun 16 2011, 13:11

Why don't you use the passengers? And what about when you change your mind and you do want to use the upgrades? Counts-As?

Lysis
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Thu Jun 16 2011, 14:49

I magnetized the under-the-hull gun options, and left the top splinter cannon removable. The other options seem too tiny to effectively stick magnets on cleanly. I know I used the grisly trophy side rails to depict my trueborn transport venoms, but will be stating that only models with the skulls/spear are actually equipped with the upgrade.

As for the passengers, I too leave them off the model so I can put a representative from the embarked squad onboard. Just makes it easy to remember what is where

"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Thu Jun 16 2011, 15:26

I am going to magnetize most of my vehciles.

I use the extra riders as extra warriors or wyches. They are kind of a pain when riding on the outside, at least for getting them in and out of my transport cases.
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Nomic
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Thu Jun 16 2011, 16:55

I did the same thign with the Grisly trophies. I left the spikes with skulls unattached and just place them on the Raiders/Venoms with the upgrade. Allows me to use the trophy racks to differentiate Trueborn Venoms and Warrior Venoms.

Radium
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Thu Jun 16 2011, 19:37

@Kinnay wrote:
Why don't you use the passengers?

I really dislike the look of guys hanging onto my vehicles. And all they do is fall off during gameplay unless I glue them in place (which I really, really don't want to do).

@Kinnay wrote:
And what about when you change your mind and you do want to use the upgrades? Counts-As?

Bah, I won't change my mind Razz. And if I do, I'll either buy new vehicles, or try to replace the stuff that's glued on already.

My Archon's latest trapped soul: Kairos Fateweaver
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Thu Jun 16 2011, 20:05

I hate "cliffhangers", since they reminds me fat mom driving her also-slow kids with Fiat Multipla. NOMNOMNOMFATTYFATTYFAT. Argh.

I also doubt that most of upgrades just can't pass as decorations. Sails - ok, You may magnetize them. But Blades/chains? Most people use (glue) them anyway.
They are also small, delicate parts. Problems with carring around, problems with keeping them in one piece...
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Fri Jun 17 2011, 09:32

Well, I dont magnetize anything. properly should magnitize the weapons, but I just havnt found myself in a situation where I dont want to use 2xSplinter Cannon on Venom and DL on Raider.

And for the optional stuff like grisley thropy etc, if my oponent even demands that is on, then I'll say bye bye. (but never used anything els than NS and FF so far).

Kinnay
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Fri Jun 17 2011, 09:40

Darklight, since you don't magnetize anything, what do you do. for example, when your vehicle loses weapons? Say, Your opponent shoots off the top Splinter Cannon. What do you do? Remember it? Write it down?
I think I would simply remove the Cannon/Gunner.

Darklight
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Fri Jun 17 2011, 11:04

@Kinnay wrote:
Darklight, since you don't magnetize anything, what do you do. for example, when your vehicle loses weapons? Say, Your opponent shoots off the top Splinter Cannon. What do you do? Remember it? Write it down?
I think I would simply remove the Cannon/Gunner.

We put markes on it. Its only a few who have magnitized at our gaming group, and we have markers for Weapon destroyed.

Fletch
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Fri Jun 17 2011, 15:56

My suggestion would be if you want to magnetize anything it would be the weapons on a Raider/Ravager.

The vehicle upgrades are just not worth doing IMO, will probably end up just getting lost in the long run and regardless your opponent more than likely would pick up on them representing anything anyway as opposed to anything else already on your vehicle. Save your time and energy for a different project.

Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Fri Jun 17 2011, 17:20

I magnetized all the sails on my Raiders7Ravagers for ease of transportation and to keep them from snapping off while transporting them.

Foo
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Fri Jun 17 2011, 17:58

The sails are wicked easy to magnetize and so much more convenient for transporting and showing immobilization.
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Fri Jun 17 2011, 18:02

@Nomic wrote:
I magnetized all the sails on my Raiders7Ravagers for ease of transportation and to keep them from snapping off while transporting them.

good call on that
Back to top Go down
Fah
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Sun Jun 19 2011, 20:42

but the sails can be taken out easily without the need for magnets, right?
Back to top Go down
Torpedo Vegas
Resident Shadowseer
Resident Shadowseer

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Sun Jun 19 2011, 21:08

Yes, I didn't magnetize mine. Then the little peg snapped Sad

Back to top Go down
http://irollboxcars.blogspot.com/
SinisterPlank
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Thu Jun 23 2011, 23:47

I personally glued most stuff on, All my darklances are removable, simply because I find it easier to paint them separatley and because I like being able to swing them around in their sockets.
The riders are another matter. I've assembled and painted some of them, but I can't decide if I should attach them or not. We'll see. I like the look of them, but the model is certainly easier to handle, if they're not hanging around, so to speak.
But the sails, spears, spikes, racks, chains, vanes and thrusters are all attached. For me, it's not so much about what little plastic piece does what, mechanically. If it looks nice, I'll probably glue it on, and call it decoration. How do the filthy imperials know if the flashy sail is a working Aethersail, or just a flashy piece of fabric?
Back to top Go down
GrenAcid
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Sat Jun 25 2011, 20:20

@SinisterPlank wrote:
I personally glued most stuff on, All my darklances are removable, simply because I find it easier to paint them separatley and because I like being able to swing them around in their sockets.
The riders are another matter. I've assembled and painted some of them, but I can't decide if I should attach them or not. We'll see. I like the look of them, but the model is certainly easier to handle, if they're not hanging around, so to speak.
But the sails, spears, spikes, racks, chains, vanes and thrusters are all attached. For me, it's not so much about what little plastic piece does what, mechanically. If it looks nice, I'll probably glue it on, and call it decoration. How do the filthy imperials know if the flashy sail is a working Aethersail, or just a flashy piece of fabric?
+1

Besides, I dont want to buy another raider just for another turet, and magnetizing all options on raider/ravager/venom is pain in butt for most of the time anyway.

Archon of All-seeing Eye Cabal.
Back to top Go down
Grumpy Kwi
Nightmare Doll on the Loose

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Mon Jun 27 2011, 22:19

@SinisterPlank wrote:
How do the filthy imperials know if the flashy sail is a working Aethersail, or just a flashy piece of fabric?

LOL, exactly!

I put most of the stuff on but really, nobody knows what the pieces are other than other Dark Eldar players so I pretty much glue most of it on and call it a day.

I did however, magnetize the guns on the raiders and ravagers and now that some of you have mentioned it I will probably do the sails too.

I also over-engineered the flight stand with magnets as the new ball-socket peg and base was driving me nuts - it was simple as I already had magnetized the flight bases from the previous addition anyway.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Tue Jun 28 2011, 07:57

@Grumpy Kwi wrote:

LOL, exactly!

I put most of the stuff on but really, nobody knows what the pieces are other than other Dark Eldar players so I pretty much glue most of it on and call it a day.

I did however, magnetize the guns on the raiders and ravagers and now that some of you have mentioned it I will probably do the sails too.

I also over-engineered the flight stand with magnets as the new ball-socket peg and base was driving me nuts - it was simple as I already had magnetized the flight bases from the previous addition anyway.

Ditto. "Your tank's dead if I roll a 3+" "Um, sure, OK" Mind you, I'm no better.

Ditto and ditto. The only way to go, and dead simple to do.

Ditto. These get swapped around at random between my DE and my son's CWE and Tau vehicles. My Reavers are next, on 40mm bases, and then the Hellions. Ball and sockets are good, but still unreliable and bases too small.
Back to top Go down
Plague
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Tue Jun 28 2011, 09:44

I magnetized the weapons and sails on my ravagers and raiders. It's nice because even if I never plan on using anything other than dark lances I can still remove the weapons if they get disabled. I plan on removing the sails to designate an immobilized vehicle.

I was thinking about magnetizing the rams as well. Do the rams designate the shock prow upgrade or are they just standard?

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Tue Jun 28 2011, 16:14

There's a special shock prow ram that comes with the Ravager.

Incubi Death
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Wed Jun 29 2011, 16:50

I have not magnatized any dark eldar but i have done it with space marines and it works out great!
Back to top Go down
Grumpy Kwi
Nightmare Doll on the Loose

PostSubject: Re: Magnetizing vehicle options?   Thu Jun 30 2011, 15:29

@Nomic wrote:
There's a special shock prow ram that comes with the Ravager.

Exactly, the ravager does have a normal prow and a shock prow. The raiders only have normal prows.

Question for those who magnetized the Sails:

Did you do a magnet to magnet connection?

I am thinking it would be two barrel magnets.
Back to top Go down

Magnetizing vehicle options?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: