HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Path of the Incubus discussion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rabid Bunny
Hellion

PostSubject: Path of the Incubus discussion   Thu Feb 28 2013, 01:23

So, what did everyone think about Path of the Incubus? I picked it up a few days ago and ploughed through it in a few hours. It was alright, I still think Andy Chambers doesn't grap the Eldar psyche as well as Gav Thorpe does in his Eldar books (i've still got the last one to read). It has the same style of humour as Path of the Renegade and does explore some of the weird and wonderful sights in Commoragh, with the characters in the previous novels returning with a few additions. I'll break up my review into the parts I disliked and the parts I liked:

Poor parts:

Spoiler:

Good parts:

Spoiler:

If you're interested in Dark Eldar background, pick it up, but other than that I think it pales compared the Gav's novels Sad
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Thu Feb 28 2013, 02:21

I find your take on Chambers vs thorpe very interesting...

Despite my striking scorpion fanboy status, i for the most part hated path of the warrior! It felt like it jumped far to quickly about, with no real beliveable growth in the main character(s) then the 'oh i am now an exarch' followed almost immediatley by 'whoops, now i am karandras!'

I overall very much prefer Chambers to Thorpes writting style. Chambers to me puts more into the characters to get attached to and relate to - despite how unlikeable.

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Rabid Bunny
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Thu Feb 28 2013, 03:00

Thats a fair point, the Exarch part of the first book did seem rushed, I was trying to say that Gav's books made me think like an Eldar, the way the characters percieve their surroundings and other characters was completely alien compared to Andy's Dark Eldar, which seemed more human because of it.
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Thu Feb 28 2013, 11:00

The book was pretty good. The main characters were well enough written and the action was good. However, there were some parts that didn't really go anywhere: the whole Morr going to the Incubi shrine to be judged by the Hierarchs didn't really amount to much (with the book being called Patch of the Incubus one would think it would have more focus), and Xagor's and Kharbyr's adventure through Com,orragh also didn't really contribute to the main plot (it was pretty much a "meanwhile, somewhere else:"-type of thing), tho it did set some things up for the next book, no doubt. On the other hand, hearing Morr tell the Incubi version of the story of Arhra was quite interesting.

My main problem in the book (as the with the previous one), however, is the portray of Commorragh.
In the books the geography of Com,orragh is, I think, too simple and mundane. The city can be described pretty easily as a sort of gigantic wedding cake shaped thing, with tiers rising up towards the center. Subrealms are treated as being their own separate things, connected to Com,orragh via portals but clearly distinquishable from it.
The codex, on the other hand, makes it clear that over the millenias Commorragh has expanded into and through the subrealms to the point where they are virtually indistinquishable, making the city a loose collection of interconnected realms all over the Webway. Sure, you still got the original Port Commorragh, but when viewed from the inside the difference between that and the subrealms would be pretty much moot, as just walking down the street could end up with you travelling throughs several portals separated by hundreds of lightyears in realspace. I don't know about you, but I prefer my Commorragh as physics-defying architectural nightmare that looks like it was co-designed by Esher and Giger.

sirron
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Thu Feb 28 2013, 11:41

Do I need to read de books of the "eldar paths" to read the "dark eldar paths" books?
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Thu Feb 28 2013, 19:33

No, they're completely separate books.

Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Thu Feb 28 2013, 19:40

I haven't read the book yet, but I'm eagerly anticipating it - I really enjoyed the first one. I find the comparison between Chambers' and Thorpe's Eldar very interesting though - to me at least, it makes sense for Dark Eldar to be more... human, for a lack of a better term. They are entirely in the mercy of their own impulses and whims, embracing their emotive states to the point of affects. They live their life on the knife's edge - they've got only one life unless they hit the big jackpot and score some good favours from powerful people, which most likely will never be the case. It's get rich or die tryin', but getting high on Adrenalight either way.

Meanwhile, craftworld Eldar are calm, collected and stoic to an extreme - much more difficult to imagine. It's like comparing an underground biker bar with a buddhist monk monastery high up in the hills. Yes, the inhabitants of both are members of the same race, but their way of thinking is radically different. That's how I view this, anyway. I haven't read any of Thorpe's books, so I can't speak for certain.

@Sirron, no, you do not need to read the "Path of the Eldar" series to get into the Dark Eldar books, as they're completely separate series.

Dark Architect

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Sun Mar 03 2013, 01:16

What I really enjoy about all the Black Library De books; Path of the Renegade, Path of the Incubus, the short stories and the recent Masque of Vyle Novella is that they all work together to create a very large and colorful landscape that is Commorragh.

From going into details with all the satellite realms, how they very from one another and how some of them fell. Then filling each one of these places with colorful characters like the extreme Archon Maxillian, or the creepy crone Avengere to my favorite the always resourceful Haemonculus Bellathonis. Then Mr. Chambers manages to tie all these discordant characters together with a somewhat complex story, tons of plans within plans, backstabbing, deception, lies, treachery and a ton of charisma.

And I agree that the Dark eldar are more "human" for lack of a better word than Craft World Eldar. As the reader you can somewhat relate to each characters plight and emotions throughout the story way more than you can relate tot he ice cold Eldar in the Gav Thorpe Path books.

Personally I can't wait for Path of the Archon next year and I certainly hope Mr. Chambers continues the story after the 3rd book and keeps enticing us with more digital short stories until then.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Sun Mar 03 2013, 17:18

I preferred these two books with Thorpe's series. With the CE books they felt like an expanded bit of colour text from the Codexes and the battle at the end of the story was just an illustration of how they fought. I found them interesting but found myself unable to care about the battle's conclusion.

Chambers not only illustrated Comorragh extremely well but also wove several story threads that I actually cared about together.

Another thing was the characters. I found Thorpe's characters extremely boring and the process each takes to what is supposedly the pinnacle of each path has been truncated mercilessly. I liked pretty much all of Chambers' characters.

Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue / Cult of the Thirsting Blade / The Architects of Flesh
Zahr-Tann Craftworld
Sa'cea Sept
Back to top Go down
sammun
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Tue Mar 05 2013, 22:14

I loved it.

I prefer the DE novels to the CWE, but I am looking forward to seeing how the stories so far are wrapped up.
It will be interesting to see how the BL authors portray non Eldar in their society.

Also, on a side note. Am I the only one thinking that the Harlequins are probably the most badass group in Eldar society?
Back to top Go down
Sneaky Rufus
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Fri Mar 15 2013, 07:07

This was a great read.
I think there is an underlying issue from both DE and CWE (Andy Chambers and Gav Thorpe) of how to play the epic scale in both Eldar groups and keep the book on pace.
I agree with Massaen that the time frame for the evolution to Exarch was way too quick.
I think that the Dysfunction and the DE response was dealt with "ok" by Chambers, but that could have been a whole other book and then some dealing with that side of the story.

I have other comments below which I have chosen to flag as spoiler:

Spoiler:

I am looking forward to the next book.
Back to top Go down
John M
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Sun Mar 17 2013, 02:48

I Really enjoyed path of the Incubus, one thing that was
Spoiler:

One thing that troubles me is how it can all possible be wrapped up in one final book? there are so many different characters knocking about.

Its interesting I actually prefer Andy Chambers to Gav Thorpe, I think he developes the differences between groups within factions better.

Finally Nyos is a brilliant character.

Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Wed Mar 20 2013, 03:08

@John M wrote:
One thing that troubles me is how it can all possible be wrapped up in one final book? there are so many different characters knocking about.

Who ever said the 3rd book will be the final book? What a Face

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Wed Mar 20 2013, 18:42

@The Eye of Error wrote:
@John M wrote:

Who ever said the 3rd book will be the final book? What a Face

Oh, the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy style trilogy then. Good Good

Last edited by John M on Wed Mar 20 2013, 20:10; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Wed Mar 20 2013, 19:45

No one ever said it would only be a trilogy. People just tend to assume that cause there was 3 Craftworld Eldar novels.

But if people are reading the Dark Eldar Novels and they are getting a good following...you know they will produce more Smile Plus there is a ton of backstory to explore.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Wed Mar 20 2013, 20:08

Yes I did kind of assume it would be a trilogy, oh well if they do produce more you won't hear me complaining tongue
Back to top Go down
Jehoel
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Wed May 01 2013, 13:39

If you have any love for Motley, or the harlequins in general give "the masque of Vyle" a chance. It's worth its price and gives a very good interpretation on how a harlequin troupe performes and why.

The readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he leaves, what is't to leave betimes?

- Hamlet, Prince of Denmark

Kabal of Eternal Torment/Cult of Last Caress/Coven of Wasted Tears
Back to top Go down
John M
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Tue May 07 2013, 01:36

@Jehoel wrote:
If you have any love for Motley, or the harlequins in general give "the masque of Vyle" a chance. It's worth its price and gives a very good interpretation on how a harlequin troupe performes and why.

I'll give it a go, on your head be it Razz
Back to top Go down
Lurking Evil
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Tue May 07 2013, 10:07

I honestly got rather bored reading through Path of the Warrior and only just trudged through the Seer. Outcast I have yet to finish.

Path of the Renegade was immeasurably more enjoyable. Granted, it's not the greatest work the Black Library has put out there, but it was the first full book to center on our favorite evil space elves. The characters were appropriately devious and extremely cunning but not so circumspect and vague as to make them indecipherable. They are aliens, and I expect to be sometimes lost as to their extremity, but not all the time like some Eldar stories have been.

Path of the Incubus in my opinion.

The good:
Spoiler:

The bad:
Spoiler:

Kabal Of The Blighted Path
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Sat May 11 2013, 23:23

Quote :
No one ever said it would only be a trilogy
Just thought to point out, on the inside cover of PotR it says "The saga of Commorragh continues in the second book of Andy Chambers's Dark Eldar trilogy." Judging by Masque, though, this certainly doesn't mean that it will stick just to the trilogy.

Back to top Go down
Mngwa
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Tue May 14 2013, 18:52

Just finished it, and I agree with a lot said here.

The good parts of the book were
Spoiler:

The few bad parts
Spoiler:

And now, I would very much also want to know will it be a trilogy or will there be more after The Path of the Archon (that I am fervently waiting for)?
Back to top Go down
John M
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Wed May 15 2013, 02:55

@Cavash wrote:
Quote :
No one ever said it would only be a trilogy
Just thought to point out, on the inside cover of PotR it says "The saga of Commorragh continues in the second book of Andy Chambers's Dark Eldar trilogy." Judging by Masque, though, this certainly doesn't mean that it will stick just to the trilogy.

oh didn't notice that, defiantly going to have to have a go at masque

and we are all desperately waiting for the next DE novel
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Wed May 15 2013, 12:23

Quote :
and we are all desperately waiting for the next DE novel
I'd just like to point out that I'm not. I was so unenamoured with PotR that I haven't even read the second book and don't really want to. It just doesn't really live up to what my expectations of a DE book were. It's good that others are enjoying it and potentially converting to DE, though!

Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Path of the Incubus discussion   Wed May 15 2013, 21:56

Finished it today. I think I liked it even more than Path of the Renegade!

Like others, I will break down the good:
Spoiler:

The bad:
Spoiler:

I really can't wait for the Path of the Archon. I love the way Chambers writes about the Dark Kin as well as the other Eldar.

Path of the Incubus discussion
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Stories & Art; The Black Library
-
Jump to: