HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

1500Pt Slaanesh Chaos Marines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sulphunet
Hellion

PostSubject: 1500Pt Slaanesh Chaos Marines   Mon Feb 18 2013, 04:15

Hey guys, I need some advice for my new army.

My Dark Eldar have gotten to the point where the army is formidable and fairly large, so I'm going to branch out into the Chaos Marines.

I have always favoured Slaanesh out of the Chaso Gods, so I want to make an army based around them. And I want to use Lucius the Eternal just because I love the fluff and the model that goes with him. Noise Marines are also a staple, but I'm not sure how many to use. And lastly, I have no idea what to do about vehicles in a Marines list. When it came to Dark Eldar, ships are the only way to go and now that I'm in Chaos I don't really know what to go with.

So my real question is this; has anyone ever seen a strong Slaanesh Marine army that I could use as inspiration? Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the answers;
Sulphunet

Why do we ride atop these elegant craft? The better to hear the screams of our prey as we ride them down, to savour the fear etched on their faces, to taste the tantalising tang of their blood in the air as an appetiser before the feast. But most of all we ride them so that the slaughter may begin as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
Ehawther
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1500Pt Slaanesh Chaos Marines   Mon Feb 18 2013, 06:27

As a current slave to the Chaos Gods I can offer a few good pieces of advice:

Slaanesh can do a "mono-god" army, but a lot of the best units and combinations use different marks, and frankly as you see with DE, this game tends to be better suited to shooting than assault. Because of that your +1I from Mark of Slaneesh isn't always the greatest bonus, but there are still some solid points for a solid Slaaneshi army. There are a few ways you can go, but the key choices are obviously HQ and Troops. I say HQ because they are how you can "unlock" different cult Marines to be troops.

If you are dead-set on using Lucius then you'll have some tough choices to make with your other HQ. Honestly I think you can get a much better "Slaaneshi Lord-o-kickass" for about the same points as Lucius, but he does serve the function of unlocking Noise Marines as troops. If you're running Lucius then get ready to buy a Landraider and some buddies to roll with him for a melee beat-stick. He is the one named character you want to get into challenges, but there are some characters out their you just don't want to challenge. Therefore always have him with another Champion of Chaos who you can dump unwanted challenges on. Noise Marines can work (2 Doom Sirens is scary stuff) and you have a scoring unit that can run people over too. Or there's always I5 Terminators. If you want to go with Terminators I would suggest a mix of melee weapons and shooting. You're relentless after all, so shoot as much as you can with your Reaper Autocannon.

Really, Slaanesh is about shooting with the Sonic Blasters and Blastmasters. Just make sure you pick what you want your troops to do - you can spend 300+ points on a single Noise Marine unit easy if you give them all the bells and whistles. This is generally a bad trap to fall into. If you want to assault, just get CC weapons and boost your Noise Marine Champion. Cultist sit in the back and go to ground if an enemy so much as spits in their direction. Or you can blob 35 of them with and HQ for a fearless tarpit. Or take 6 units of cultist and cover the board with models (150 points per squad with no upgrades x6 = 900 points. But you wont make friends with that army)

Take Veterans of the Long War if your local meta has a lot of Marine players (remember it's all chapters/flavours of Marines. GK included too)

And Heldrakes. Get them. Love them. At 1500 points you should have 1 or 2, but probably 2. They are that good. Don't take 3, in my opinion, you are gimping yourself in points and that's a lot of shooting that going to wait in reserves. Your other Fast Attack can go to Bikers (think like Reavers, just not as fast/no bladevanes) or Spawn (either unmarked or Nurgle, they are an awesome tarpit). Raptors can be fun if you want some flavour/have a Jump Pack HQ.

Autocannon Havocs are so good for cheap Heavy Support. All other choices are still good too, but 8 - 48" S7 AP4 shots for 115 points is almost too good to pass on.

There are so many choices in this book it's hard to make bad ones. Unless you pass on Heldrakes. Or take 3 units of Mutilators, Warp Talons, or Helbrutes. Everything else can work well. It just depends how you want to build your army.
Back to top Go down
Sulphunet
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1500Pt Slaanesh Chaos Marines   Mon Feb 18 2013, 17:51

Well I'm dead set on Lucius because a friend of mine is making a Tzeentch themed army and using Ahriman in it, so I thought it'd be a good idea for a nice back story to it.

Now, I was thinking of using 2 units of Noise Marines and a unit of Possessed for Lucius to travel with (If not Possessed, then Chosen). I hadn't actually considered using the Heldrake, but after what you said I will definitely include 1, maybe 2 depending on what else I need. I also want to include some Raptors for speed, everything is so slow in this army.

I didn't really want to include a Land Raider, simply because I'm sick of having to shoot them down and I'm sure everyone feels the same. Terminators can Deep Strike, so I'll live with the risk in that. But I was hoping Lucius would be all right in just a Rhino.

Why do we ride atop these elegant craft? The better to hear the screams of our prey as we ride them down, to savour the fear etched on their faces, to taste the tantalising tang of their blood in the air as an appetiser before the feast. But most of all we ride them so that the slaughter may begin as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
Ehawther
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1500Pt Slaanesh Chaos Marines   Mon Feb 18 2013, 19:03

Lucius in a Rhino is a gamble, especially if you're putting him with Possessed for a few reasons:
  1. Other than Lucius' Doom Siren, you have no shooting.
  2. You cannot assault out of Rhinos, and you're taking an assault orientated unit. This means you are going to get charged waiting a turn or you'll get every available gun turned on you.
  3. Possessed only have one CC weapon, and you can only get AP3 if you're lucky. Their other random mutations are nice, but they don't have the punch you really want out of such an expensive unit. Having 2 base attacks is nice and thankfully by adding Lucius to them at least the unit has grenades.

If you really want that awesome unit that is going to roll up, punch some faces in, sweeping advance, and move on to whoever is next think about Landraider again. All I can say is if I was playing against someone with their Warlord in a rhino, I would have that thing popped and the unit inside blow up by turn 2.

Also since you're buddy is taking Ahriman and Tzeentch, watch for AP3 bolters and him to take a Heldrake or 2. The best defense against Heldrakes is more Heldrakes. Thankfully Thousand Sons are the most expensive cult unit in the book. If he takes two full squads, then there goes 600-700 points, which doesn't leave a lot of extra room. Also, Ahriman is not an Eternal Warrior and only toughness 4. Str 8 shooting is going to be your friend as soon as he is able to be targeted, and you don't want Ahriman shooting all his funky spells at you. It hurts.

And yes, Heldrake. AP3 torrent flamer that can shoot 360 degrees + vector strike. Plus all it's special rules and being 12/12/10 armour makes it point for point the best unit in the codex for killing MEQ. Those Thousand Sons will roast like everyone else under that template.

If you're taking Terminators, the good ol' "Termicide" units still work great. Unit of 3 w/ Combi-weapons and maybe a heavy weapon as well. Deepstrike them into an ideal spot and blast away. If you're enemy doesn't turn some focus to them, then you have a unit that can shoot again and charge a nice squishy target or take a chainfist and pop a vehicle. Low cost, and still super effective. This same kind of role could be covered by Raptors with flamers and meltabombs.

Like I said, there really are just so many options it can get overwhelming. Think about what each unit you take is going to do for you (sit back and shoot, rush up and deny objectives, reserve and counter attack, Deep strike, etc.) and how you will support them.
Back to top Go down
Sulphunet
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1500Pt Slaanesh Chaos Marines   Mon Feb 18 2013, 19:24

I've made a few armies so far, and my main problem is how expensive the Marines are! Just so expensive, I can never get everything I want in.

I'll bring a Land Raider, I forgot about the Assault vehicle rule (Raiders are so much better lol) I'll stick with Deep Striking Terminators, and I will bring a Heldrake.

Blastmasters are another problem, it is a great weapon but for 30pts I can never decide what to do about it.
I might switch to Chosen for Lucius to travel with, the weapon choices are much better.

I may even bring this army up to 1750pts, it'll be easier to work with.

Back to top Go down
Ehawther
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1500Pt Slaanesh Chaos Marines   Mon Feb 18 2013, 20:08

I play Nurgle (but am obsessed with list making, so I have looked a lot at all the different options) and I know your pain; 200+ points for 7 Marines is what I pay every time I field a new unit of Plague Marines. Which is why cultists can be so attractive with a Fearless HQ attached. They can be a 35-man blob of tarpit, scoring, denail, assault death, for less points than most 10 man Chaos Space Marine units of any flavour.

Think of your Noise marines as pseudo-Havocs that can score. You'll park them 10 of them in cover, close to an objective, give them their Sonic Blasters and 2 Blastmasters, but leave the Champion naked. The enemy will come to you and then you can stand around wailing away on them. Or you can make them a 5 man unit with just a Blastmaster in a Rhino for extra protection/mobility. Both are really good ways to use that unit.

Chosen can be a lot of fun, but are essentially even more expensive Marines. Because you can customize wargear, you have some real advantages by keep some naked (Overwatch fodder) and then specializing your gear. Plus you can always shoot your bolters if stuff is too far away (or you killed something in CC and now are moving on).

I'd equip a squad of Chosen with 2 special weapons (flamer, meltagun, plasma gun) and 3 power weapons (axes and fists don't mix with Slaanesh, so probably swords or lightning claws if you have the points). Throw in a few extra bodies to fill out your squad or until they're maxed out for points and you've got a decent beatstick. Since you're assaulting with these guys I'd go with meltaguns so you can insta-kill a few of whatever is in front of you (tanks, terminators, Monstorus Creatures, instant death for T4 models!) These guys are good denial material and will be extremely well support with their Landraider covering them. Use that big school bus to block LOS on one side, it's also mobile cover.

Good luck with the battles and army building. Feel free to post you full list if you want more thoughts/advice.
Back to top Go down
Sulphunet
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1500Pt Slaanesh Chaos Marines   Mon Feb 18 2013, 23:59

I have a rough first draft, and it is 1750Pts. My first list in 40K that has not been Dark Eldar:

Lucius the Eternal

10 Noise Marines
- 10 Sonic Blasters
- Doom Siren and Melta Bombs on Champ.

9 Noise Marines
- replace 9 Boltguns w/ CC Weapons
- 8 CC Weapons
- Power Weapon and Gift of Mutation on Champ
- Icon of Excess
- Veterans of the Long War

5 Noise Marines
- 4 Sonic Blasters
- Blastmaster
- Doom Siren and Melta Bombs on Champ

10 Raptors
- Mark of Slaanesh
- Icon of Excess
- Veterans of the Long War
- 2 Flamers

5 Terminators
- Mark of Slaanesh
- Reaper Autocannon
- Lightning Claws and Combi-melta on Champ.
- 2 Lightning Claws
- 2 Combi-meltas

2 Rhinos

Land Raider

Heldrake

Back to top Go down

1500Pt Slaanesh Chaos Marines
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DISCUSSION

:: Warhammer 40,000 Discussion
-
Jump to: