HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Who would you want to write the next Codex?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Mon Jan 21 2013, 21:20

I would hate to have our codex be overpowered, I feel bad for all the old school necron and grey knight players who get labelled as win at all costs army jumpers when they have been playing the army for years. I'd rather have an average codex than a broken one.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell

Last edited by Mushkilla on Mon Jan 21 2013, 22:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nappen
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Mon Jan 21 2013, 22:09

I like how our codex depends on synergy and careful thought to win. I would hate to lose that.
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Mon Jan 21 2013, 22:59

I have chosen the DE codex for my new army as I feel that it is by far the best balanced and fluffy codex on the shelves at the moment; Barely any useless units, no absolutely essential ones, and the possibility of building multiple differing fluffy lists that are viable.
I can see covens, cabals and cults ALL being competitive. THAT makes Kelly my favourite writer.

However...

I think we can be certain that he would NOT write the next one, as from a business, and also from an artistic point of view, variety is the spice etc.

As such, Kelly WON'T be the next DE author, as he is the current one.

I'm not a huge fluff fan, so I don't mind who writes the fluff; I personally hope that all of the crunch of future codices is written by a team of game designers who hammer out a set of new rules between them, playtesting them as they go, lurking in the better forums watching home-grown rules threads, and talking to players about what direction they'd like to see the game go in.

This is why I like Malifaux; their designers are all high-profile members of the official Malifaux forum.
Back to top Go down
Seelenberührer
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Mon Jan 21 2013, 23:20

While I'm sure that some writers do lurk (and I think some writers have admitted to it), this would actually be bad policy from an organisation perspective, as it raises a number of copyright issues. If you, commandersasha, write a rule on a forum that they want to use, in theory this becomes highly problematic because it's your own intellectual property. If a concept can be traced back to a single author, and is subsequently used, then GW becomes liable. So it's probably easier for GW to maintain (at least officially) a policy of completely ignoring it's fanbase in terms of rules dev.

Not saying I disagree with you, just pointing out a flip side to that constellation of issues.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Tue Jan 22 2013, 00:37

Interesting point is mentioned.

I would probably take Cruddace over Ward.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Tue Jan 22 2013, 01:24

@Thor665 wrote:
Interesting point is mentioned.

I would probably take Cruddace over Ward.

I play 'Nids and would never, ever choose Robin. If it is just inexperience, then he needs to be mentored and proofed much, much better in the future.

DE are a finesse army, there is only one such writer who can match that at the moment, and his name is not Matt, or Robin or Jeremy. And the fluff is integral to the army as a whole, to me anyway. It should be included and it should be properly done. The idea that Phil could not write some entirely new and equally good fluff for a new 'dex would be misguided.

And if he's not available, give it to Jes.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Tue Jan 22 2013, 02:08

Eh, you act like Phil didn't derp around with some of our old Dex's good stuff.

My only point is I would take Robin over Matt. I'm not suggesting Robin as a top choice, but I am suggesting he's a superior choice to Ward.

Back to top Go down
shadowseercB
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Tue Jan 22 2013, 04:45

I loved the stories. Everyone of them. I hope they dont change the stories like they did with the necrons.

3,500 Harlequin
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Tue Jan 22 2013, 07:16

@Thor665 wrote:

Other than archon/succubus bike options, I wasn't sad to see anything go.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Squierboy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Tue Jan 22 2013, 17:50

@Thor665 wrote:

Well it was effectively a big Dark Eldar re-boot, so can't blame him for mucking around a bit. A few pointless name changes (e.g. punisher to klaivex), removal of the armoury, but nothing too irritating overall.

Players have so much invested (materially & emotionally) in their chosen race that the right decision is pretty important. And players have so many great ideas, but can ultimately contribute nothing to the final product. But I think we should be able to!

Back to top Go down
shadowseercB
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Tue Jan 22 2013, 18:07

We add ideas all the time to our cabals, cults, covens and so on. Thats what thedarkcity.net is for Smile

3,500 Harlequin
Back to top Go down
leinmann
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Tue Jan 22 2013, 20:42

@Seelenberührer wrote:
Phil Kelly in a second. DE is a really amazing book. Fantasy VCs is also really good. Eldar is AMAZING for its age.

Out of interest, what books would one say are Phil Kelly on a bad day?

Codex: Chaos Space Marines is easily Phil Kelly on a bad day. although its not a bad codex (certainly better than the previous gavdex which was an epic fail) it let me down by its lack of legion love (iron warriors being my forte) but that was probably about it, as it is a fairly decent codex itself. he does have an impressive list of codexes under his belt and if the dark eldar codex were to be rewritten, i would give my vote to phil kelly as he has done a fantastic job with the current codex.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Wed Jan 23 2013, 02:12

@Mushkilla wrote:
@Thor665 wrote:

Other than archon/succubus bike options, I wasn't sad to see anything go.
Well, Haem bikes as well.
Also with the attempt to amp up Hellions, it was rather annoying to have all the Hellboard options go away as well - specifically Haem Hellboarders, which would have made the Hellions an even more cognizant army option. Heck, even if his new Haem fluff didn't gell with Haems on bikes and boards - just give them a winged option or something to be jetpack Haems, they do build Scourges after all.)

I also begrudge the loss of the good Combat Drug Dispensers where you could overdose, but which also made our Archons true beasts of war.
The Punisher/Klaive loss was annoying insomuch as it could go on a Archon. Who wouldn't want a +1Str AP 3 power weapon on an Archon or Succubus now?
Loss of Splinter Pistol hats (I'll accept I'm in an extreme minority here)
Loss of Mandrakes being any interesting or good whatsoever (seriously, he took one of our worst units who at least had interesting playstyle and made it even worse and then also boring)
Loss of Blaster/Shredder Wyches (because...?)
Loss of Good Wych Weapons for 'meh' Wych Weapons.
I'll also grumble about Dissies but do admit that was more of a sideways shift, and frankly they were debatable as 'too good' (though then so much in so many codices falls into that trap)
Loss of Good Lelith for 'I can't actually duel HQs Lelith'
Loss of cheap Drazhar for 'Same dude, thrice the cost Drazhar' (because, y'know, up till then so many armies were taking Drazhar because he was so broken...)

Those are the only ones that stick in my craw - I could probably come up with others but they would be mincing complaints.

Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Wed Jan 23 2013, 07:50

In some way though change is inevitable, with the old codex having about 8 pages of fluff. To be fair on hemonculus bikes/skyboards it never really suited them. I do miss the punisher, and the super raider pinning grenade launchers. Hopefully we get to block out the sun for the whole game next codex. Smile

Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Wed Jan 23 2013, 08:25

The horrofex/terrorfex is atually s thing I miss the most. Most of the other stuff that we lost in the old codex were just some weapon options (which in many cases were replaced with different options), tho I do wish you could still give Archons, or atleast Succubi (seeing how the Reavers are part of the Wytch Cult) bikes and thta dissies still had the plasmacannon profile. The horrorfex was somethign unique, however, making DE one of the few armies that could actually reliably use pinning as a way to supress enemy units. It also fit our playstyle and way of fighting very well: supress the rest of the enemy while focusing all fire to take down the highest priority threats, preventing them from bringing all their firepower to bear on our paper planes.

Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Wed Jan 23 2013, 10:57

Hey mates, you realise that the poll should be written as:

Which author will write codex Dark Eldar for our children (or our children's children)?

I somehow doubt we will see update any time soon. More likely not in 6th edition. Once old books get update i think we will see something new, rather then another iteration of codex/edition upgrades.

shadowseercB
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Wed Jan 23 2013, 20:53

Its just a fun talk. No one expects it any time soon.

3,500 Harlequin
Back to top Go down
Mickylevi
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Fri Jan 25 2013, 04:54

Re: Cruddace and IG, I have a suspicion that this was mostly due to directives from higher up - IG has probably one of the highest model counts of any army, both infantry and vehicles, and those vehicle kits have been getting more and more expensive over time. So suddenly you can fit 150 infantry and 10 tanks in the average list - a big pile of cash, that.

Having said that - I think Cruddace is a pretty decent fluff writer, a lot better than Ward is.

Vetock... i havent read his Fantasy stuff, but the Dark Angels fluff in the new codex is pretty stilted.

Ward writes mary sue fanfiction at best and utter nonsense at worst...

So fluff: Kelly > Cruddace > Vetock > Ward

Rules? Probably Kelly > Ward > Vetock > Cruddace

Having said that - I'd not want to play a Ward dex. Sure, its nice to win... but i'd feel dirty. In a bad way.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Fri Jan 25 2013, 08:12

I think you're confusing well written rules with powerful units. Ward's rules generally have a lot of 'what the 'eff?' in hem. Heck, even Kelly has some boners, like invulnerable saves that, technically, no vehicle is allowed to ever take. Conversely, Cruddace actually writes rather functional rules - but there is an argument that he nerfs dexes (an unfair one, I personally believe, as he was doomed with Sisters due to editorial fiat and Wards Grey Knights dex, and also didn't make the Nids bad, per se' he just gakked some of their usual power builds and left them weak versus mech lists...in 5th edition which was kind of mech heavy as I recall).

Back to top Go down
CaGeRit
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   Fri Jan 25 2013, 13:15

I wouldn't say Cruddace nerfed the tyranids. I think he did something worse in the name of balance. Tyranids were always about wild mutations and immense customization. Cruddace took the lot of them and forced them into preset little load outs which cuts across the grain of the fluff in the worst way. I think its a challenge at the least to balance something with as many options, biomorphs, weapons, ect. as the tyranids. But stripping out what made tyranids tyranids seems like he didn't even try, or he tried, gave up, said f*** it and turned them into variants like the IG tanks.
I don't think we would have to worry about that treatment as much as we are less unconventional of an army as the tyranids, at least in the list building sense.
I'd say Kelly>Vetock>Cruddace.
Ward is not on the list. Ward should not be anywhere near a pen or computer or a typewriter or objects sharp enough to allow him to draw his own blood and write with it. No.

PostSubject: Re: Who would you want to write the next Codex?   

Back to top Go down

Who would you want to write the next Codex?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: