Share | 

Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Dogmar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Mon Sep 02 2013, 22:21

Thanks for the reply Cavalier, a picture would acutally be very helpful. I'm not entirely sure of the dimensions of that magnet since inches is to be perfectly honest a very historical and fluffy measuring method, but at the same time quite retarded since it just doesn't scale well. I assume that your magnet is just very big, just short of a centimeter and thus has enough power to hold the arm in place regardless Very Happy

Edit: No offense to our fellow Americans by the way Very Happy Just the truth about inches Wink
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Tue Sep 03 2013, 06:34

So I was hoping to achieve a similar effect (shameless stealing of a great scheme more like lol) and I was hoping you could tell me what red you used? Many thanks.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Tue Sep 03 2013, 13:12

Here is where you can buy the magnets
http://store.miniwargaming.com/product/disc-magnet-large2-primal-horizon.html

@ Dogmar- Here ya go! There is really no fussing about needed with these magnets. They add a little a very unnoticeable width to the arm joint, but do the magnetization first then prime the whole thing (with the arms on the torso) and you'll never know the difference. I'm really fussy about that stuff and I never even think about it. The only caveat is that if you take the arms on and off too many times the magnet may pop off. It's happened once on each side, but thats after a month of taking of the arms on and off almost every other day as I paint the bugger. Hope that helps!

@ Nullus- Cool! Glad you like the swords. Your the only person to say so! I got the idea to all white swords from old Rankin and Bass cartoons like the Hobbit, Thundercats and The Last Unicorn. All the magical swords were white and I"ve always loved that since I was a kid.

@ The Red King- No problem glad you like my scheme. I use testors dark gold primer for my gold and as for my red. Khorne Red basecoat (airbrushed) Highlights- Mephiston Red- Evil Sunz Scarlet- and little bit of Wild Rider Red. Hope that helps!

Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Tue Sep 03 2013, 20:19

It helps immensely. I was thinking of using a copper tone instead of gold to look a little less regal and a little more gritty (only because I went with a regal color scheme for my Necron)

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Tue Sep 03 2013, 22:00

Cool. If you are going for a darker grittier gold, go with ghenna gold from GW. Its darker, redder, but lustrous and goes on really really nice. Far better than any of the other GW metallic golds (aside from the old Shining Gold from 2nd/3rd ed which was amazing). In fact I use Warplock Bronze, and highlight it with Ghenna Gold to get a really dark weathered gold. I use it on my evil Dark Eldar, and Dark Angels.

Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Tue Sep 03 2013, 22:09

I think I'm trying to avoid gold as I used too much on my crons

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Tue Sep 03 2013, 23:30

Now these are huge magnets Very Happy The biggest ones I've used to date are 2mm square, 1mm thick neodym. I bet those could hold an arm the size of a landraider in place. Good to see it working. I too magnetize the models before priming so you don't see it and with pattex super glue (for your own good, never use the GW one) I've never had one snap off.
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Mon Sep 09 2013, 21:42

Hey gang, been working away on my Wraithknight and he's finally finished. He looks a lot more glossy in the photos then he does in real life, but it'll give you an idea. I love this model and I'm super pumped to have him hit the tabletop.

In other news I'm excited to see my Wyches take on my brother's vanguard vets. They are gonna be rocking Thunderhammer Storm Shields, but with no overwatch fire (especially my brother's ubiquotous flamers) they've found they're chosen target. The more I've thought about it the more I've realized Wyches are great for units without overwatch. Lookout TH/SS marines and Centurions I'm coming for ya!

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Tue Sep 10 2013, 07:57

Great looking models. Love the theme you've based your army on.
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Tue Sep 10 2013, 09:39

Your gold is fantastic and clean as usual! Great job on the knight!
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Sun Oct 13 2013, 22:05

Hey guys! My brother and I have been on a hobbying blitzkrieg! Our board has reached tabletop standard (lot of shading and highlighting left) and is looking good. My Eldar force is reaching truly epic proportions, and I'm even pulling triple duty helping my brother get his army painted, and working on my Dark Angels allied force!

First up is my Wraithlord. Not a super-tournement winning unit, but a GREAT bodyguard for the Wraithknight. 2x Flamer, Scatter Laser, Bright lance, and Ghost Glaive makes this guy a fearsome sidekick to my Wraithknight who my brother has been chasing around with his TH/SS Vanguard Vets. Also with line of sight blocking terrain this guy is not getting blasted off the board turn two. And we have tons of that as you will see...

Wraithlord:

Second up- TERRAIN! Our board is nearly  complete. We wanted LOTS of line of sight blocking terrain- stuff big enough for the Wraithknight to get a cover save, but also big enought to hide Sentinels, Leman Russ', and bigger terrain pieces to hide a squadron of Basilisks. This makes the game SO fun and fluid. Three things really stood out to me in using all this terrain: Movement is paramount,  you can also set up deadly ambushes with units like Dreadnoughts, Taloi, Wraithlords, snipers and even Genestealers, and outflanking units such as Hornets, War Walkers, Scout Sentinels become very very useful.  I love playing this way, and it was great to see Reece from Frontline writing articles and tailoring his tournaments to this way of thinking. And as it pertains to Dark Eldar terrain like this is really critical in the current Eldar/Tau meta. This terrain is super easy to make, and cheap to buy. One sheet of foam goes for about $30 and you can make an entire table's worth of it with just paint, and a screwdriver to weather and crater it.

I will be taking some up close photos and some tutorials on how to make and paint this terrain. Its SO EASY. I think tournaments could get a TON of mileage out of this terrain, and it looks great.

Terrain

So just wanted to share with you guys, particularly on the terrain front. As always there's much more to come

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Sun Oct 13 2013, 23:00

Your display board is looking great, I really love LOS blocking terrain but don't often use it as neither my local store or club have much of it. I might have to make some similar terrain for them. Awesome stuff as always.

Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Mon Oct 14 2013, 09:28

That board is looking great. I does baffle me how people seem to not go with enough LoS blocking terrain - it makes the game a whole lot more interesting! Also, great work on the Wraithlord - he has a great silent guardian theme going for him.

Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Mon Oct 14 2013, 13:49

@ Nullus- Thanks Smile I've had a similar experience to you back in 5th edition. I was just getting blow off the board if I went second. It shouldn't be that way. I don' know why but its been a SLOW progression since 2nd edition for players to start churning out a variety of big terrain pieces. In fact I remember back in 2nd edition (I played at a great store with tons of fully painted armies) but we hardly used terrain at all. We'd practically just line our guys up and run at each other. It made no sense! Its come a long way since but I think GW instituted the alternating terrain placement out of an agreed upon pool as sort of a wake-up call. All the cool optional terrain pieces like force field generators and the like still go unused but hey at least the ball is rolling on LOS blocking terrain.

@ Siticus- Thanks man! It sure does make the game great. Each phase of the game becomes really tense, and cagey- especially the movement phase. There is a lot of baiting, and ambushing. And units that have been gathering dust like Dreadnoughts, and Wraithlords all of a sudden become a royal pain. My brothers Dreadnought was absolutley peppering my Wraithknight for four turns the last time we played. And thanks about my Wraithlord. The silent guardian is exactly the idea I had when I made him. The Wraithknight seems really spritely and dynamic compared to him, its a cool contrast. Thanks for the compliments!

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Tue Oct 15 2013, 20:47

I love your raider, it's so shiny and full of bling! Night shields would never work on them.
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Wed Oct 16 2013, 02:07

LOL I know my models look crazy shiny in my photos, but look nothing like that in real life. The level of gloss on the Wraithlord is much more comparable to what they look in real life. Thanks though Faceless glad you enjoy my opulent paintjobs!

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Mon Oct 21 2013, 09:03

Wow! Such a great army and project in general! I especially love the army's colour scheme and the converted Archons. The allied Craftworld Eldar look great as well. The dark reapers and rangers are an excellent contrast to the vibrant colours of the Corsairs.

Keep up the great work Cavalier! Can't wait to see more Smile
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Mon Oct 21 2013, 13:48

Sweet! Thanks man, I actually just converted up another Archon which I'll be posting soon. BTW your army looks fantastic! The Archon as represented in your avatar is otherworldly, and your Farseer was awesome too. Cheers!

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Mon Oct 21 2013, 23:25

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm looking forward to seeing your new Archon now Smile
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Wed Oct 23 2013, 16:54

Hey guys. Been working on a new Archon/Autarch... While I like the pose, and the conversion was nice and clean (using the Striking Scorpion Exarch biting blade arms) I think I'm gonna go all in, buy a box of White Lions and try recreate the same pose but with all the White Lions bits at my disposal. What do you guys think?

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Wed Oct 23 2013, 17:59

i dont know he looks amaqzing as he is
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Wed Oct 23 2013, 18:22

Go for it, they look amazing and lovely pose.

Sorry but I have to say it again, i love your golds.
Back to top Go down
kizzdougs
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Wed Oct 23 2013, 22:49

Great sense of movement! I'd be careful with the White Lion kit though. Make sure you still use plenty of Eldar bits (especially the legs in my opinion) otherwise he'll just look like a White Lion on a round base.

Can't wait to see what you come up with Smile
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Thu Oct 24 2013, 16:58

Nice job on your Autarchon! The momentum of the figure is fantastic, though I can't help but think he'd look even better with a long, flowing cape. That said, the sword also looks great, very nice and clean conversion with the Scorpion Exarch arms.

Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan    Fri Oct 25 2013, 00:49

@Siticus the Ancient wrote:
The momentum of the figure is fantastic, though I can't help but think he'd look even better with a long, flowing cape.
I'm with Siticus. I think the cape would make the upper body look less static and balance out the middle of the mini better. Lion cloak perhaps?

As always, you're stuff is looking awesome Twisted Evil 

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down

Eldar Corsairs- Lions of Asuryan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: