HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Fri Aug 16 2013, 16:46

That works rather well.

I've used old style warriors with new arms/guns and bare heads, but hadn't tried the helmets. I did also have a go at cutting down the shoulders - I liked the effect on the first one, but didn't think I'd be able to replicate it consistently, so decided to stick with the big shoulders!

I just got another 60 or so of these old guys today in an eBay lot, so maybe more experimentation is called for...
Back to top Go down
Darthvegeta800
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Fri Aug 16 2013, 16:53

I demand pictures of it! Smile
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Fri Aug 16 2013, 17:02

@Darthvegeta800 wrote:
I demand pictures of it! Smile

I don't want to thread-jack but, assuming that's directed at me, here are mine:

(Apart from the Shredder, these guys are just regular old style Warriors because it's the only picture I had to hand. I should get round to posting more pics elsewhere.)

Last edited by Ben_S on Fri Aug 16 2013, 20:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Darthvegeta800
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Fri Aug 16 2013, 19:36

Awesome! Smile
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Dec 09 2013, 21:27

It's been a while...  My Dark Eldar have mostly been on the back burner since the summer, and the one thing I have done (some Grotesques) was converting new things, not revamping old ones.

But now I've returned to (at least one) old model!

Kruellagh the Vile was an implausibly buxom DE special Character in the old Codex who appeared to favour costumes made of nothing but fishing wire.  She didn't make it into the 5th Edition revamp.  I modified her bizarre skipping stance by placing a slaughtered guardsman under her boot, and coated his corpse and her hands with liberal amounts of the new "Blood for the Blood God" paint.

Back from a long journey in realspace...

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Dec 09 2013, 23:17

Oh, you've made me like a figure I have never liked...

I had a lot of old stuff...got rid of most of it.

Im kitbashing kabalites and my exodites with the old warriors...they are good for this because they are so nondescript; you can turn them into pretty much anything.

and they are dirt cheap, so by using them you can turn one box of kabalites/guardians into 2 squads.

Im also converting the jetbikes. They are bigger than the new so I thought my arena champion might like a souped up machine.
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Fri Dec 13 2013, 14:46

I was looking at my whole Dark Eldar collection recently and though that my Lady Malys...
...looked a bit lonely as the sole blue model among a sea of red, so I have painted her some friends minions. These are more of my almost endless supply of old 3rd Ed Kabalite Warrors, modified slightly with a few bits from the recent casts (and some kroot!).
There will be 5 more soon, to complete the squad.

After doing that, I was inspired to retouch Lady Malys' paint job.  I added extra highlights to her armour, hair and skin, and some areas of bronze metal to provide a counterpoint the the overall cool colour scheme.  Personally, I think the result is an improvement.

Back to top Go down
Darthvegeta800
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Wed Dec 25 2013, 17:50

Looking gorgeous i'd say!
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Fri Dec 27 2013, 17:29

And, as promised, here are the remaining 5 Kabalites:

Lady M looks much more comfortable now, surrounded by a few of her own.

Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Fri Dec 27 2013, 20:37

Very nice. I have to say I am not a fan of the old school models but your painting has really bought them to life. Like the lady M conversion especially

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Khain mor
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Jan 06 2014, 11:29

Yep, a good paintjob on any model improves it greatly.

Funny to see Kruellagh, hated how GW painted their in black I also painted mine in flesh, the model is pretty sexy, too bad it doesn't have rules anymore, not that the old rules were any good, but it would have been nice to use her more. I do use her as a succubus, though I have a whole bunch of HQ wyches lords already (leftover from the old edition + apoc). I could use her as a wych with gauntlets eventually ,combined with my old wyches.

I'm also going to buy that Lady M model (found a store 20 min from here that sells those models)
, but I will only be able to use it with friends, not at official GW events Sad.

The Biggest Kabal ever, be sure to check it out if you haven't, old and new units.
The Biggest Dark Eldar Apocalypse force you'll find on the net.

My Eldar Facebook Page, feel free to join. All Eldar factions allowed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Jan 06 2014, 20:35

I didn't realise that GW had painted their Kruellagh in black, though I suppose she does seem to have some sort of catsuit in the picture from the old Codex. It's also a shame she's not a named character any more. I will probably just use the model as a Hekatrix/Succubus, although the poison injecting spikes are a bit Haemi-like.

Back to top Go down
Khain mor
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Fri Jan 10 2014, 06:48

@Plastikente wrote:
I didn't realise that GW had painted their Kruellagh in black, though I suppose she does seem to have some sort of catsuit in the picture from the old Codex.  It's also a shame she's not a named character any more.  I will probably just use the model as a Hekatrix/Succubus, although the poison injecting spikes are a bit Haemi-like.

Her artwork was awesome, too bad the mini wasn't as good, though still a nice mini, I love naked minis. She was black because of the artwork yes and the fact that GW doesn't like naked minis.
She was killed obviously, happens a lot in Commorragh ^^. Lady Malys might disappear in the next codex, other named characters aren't 100% safe either, though most should stay.

The Biggest Kabal ever, be sure to check it out if you haven't, old and new units.
The Biggest Dark Eldar Apocalypse force you'll find on the net.

My Eldar Facebook Page, feel free to join. All Eldar factions allowed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Out with the old, in with the new   Fri Nov 14 2014, 20:32

Please forgive a bit of threadomancy, but the arrival of the new Codex has re-kindled my interest in modelling my Dark Eldar, and it makes sense to keep this with the old posts, for continuity.

The first thing the new Codex did was give me the motivation to finish off some Reavers and a Venom that have been sat, undercoated, in my minis box for months:

A bit of light conversion work let me construct a Kabal-themed venom, and an arena champion.  I always like to kit bash old with new where possible to redeem some of the particularly sorry models in my box of bits.

The next thing the Codex did was send me on a spending spree:

• I added 5 scourges and 5 mandrakes to my collection because I've always loved the models, but the rules weren't hot enough in the last edition to make me buy them.
  • I picked up a Medusae and used the spare head to convert a second one.
  • I grabbed a Citadel Finecast Grot because I wanted another one with a Liquifier, and I'm out of bits.
  • And I bought a Lhamaean and the new plastic Haemi because I have always fancied converting a female Haemonculus.  I used the spare bits to make another male Haemi.

I'm now on duty at work for the weekend, so should have enough spare time to make some decent progress with at least some of my new toys.  Pics will follow...

Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Some new additions   Mon Nov 17 2014, 16:21

I've always thought that Scourges were great models, but with their previous rules they were never quite high enough up my want list to get bought.  That changed with the new codex, so I've invested.
Barrels from the Talos kit turned two splinter cannons into haywire blasters (top left and bottom right), and I trimmed down the heat lance and added some vanes to make up a fourth heat lance (top right). And the spikes I used for that are from the original 3e Warrior kit, so even this squad has a touch of old in with the new  Very Happy

I also bought a Medusae, and was pleased to discover that the finecast kit comes with two head options (visor open and visor closed).  It's not explicit in the unit description in the new codex, but in the last book it was clear that the 'Medusae' is really only the parasitic flesh sac thing that clamps onto the head of a victim.  It therefore seems perfectly logical to me to attach that head to a captured victim rather than one of the true kin.  I de-weaponed and restrained a spare Sister of Battle to act as host for my second Medusae.

Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Nov 17 2014, 16:35

Nice, I love the idea of using the medusa heads on other things (i used my spare one to replace the lhamaean's head, though I think the SoB looks really cool)

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Nov 17 2014, 20:05

Very nice conversions with the Scourges, Plastikente, looks seamless. And I like your thinking, and execution, with the spare Medusae head.
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Nov 17 2014, 23:12

Thanks. I've got quite a lot of converted weapons in my army - mostly comedy blasters because Blasterborn rock but I didn't want to buy enough boxes to get real GW blasters. I was very pleased with how well the Talos HWB barrel will fit with a splinter cannon body to make something almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Nov 17 2014, 23:27

I've done something similar, heat lance barrels fit really nicely onto the kabalite warrior dark lance, making a kind of uber melta lance that the scourge really looks like he's aiming. I'll post a pic once it's stuck together!

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Wed Nov 19 2014, 07:19

Those scourges are gorgeous! I want to thank you for giving me the confidence in my own opinion - I like the old models too! I never did finish my whole collection, so now I have the fun challenge of painting new and old together and trying for some coherency.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Wed Nov 19 2014, 12:09

I've been meaning to model a female Haemonculus for myself for some time.
(Well, actually, I already have one of the old casts, but I use her as an acothyst now.  And I converted another of the old ones into a Haemi I gave away last Christmas...)

The release of the new plastic Haemonculus kit was perfect to let me make something that fits very much with the new floating monster style.  Plan A was to hang the skin coat up near her shoulders somewhere, but that proved too challenging for me as it would have required cutting and repositioning the long hair braid.  I was also going to keep the arms with the remainder of the plastic Haemi, but then I was inspired to go for the 6-armed Indian Goddess vibe, and the parts gave a nice spread of limbs.  I heated the resin and bent her foot to hang downwards, and cut the tip of another to hang below the bottom of her dress (although you can't really see it in the pic).  I didn't particularly want to give her an extended, overarching spine, but I think that even without that feature it is quite clear what she is supposed to be.

Overall I am very pleased with my evil new Haemoncumistress. Smile

Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Wed Nov 19 2014, 13:00

Fantastic conversion work, she looks awesome! And congratulations on the new word too, I like it!

My Club - MAD Wargaming

Back to top Go down
Bloodofthefallen2
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Wed Nov 19 2014, 16:16

Looks awesome and a very nice little conversion
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Wed Nov 19 2014, 22:20

Wow that Heamocumistress looks really good, I like the overall look of the model and the way you combined the two models. Congratulations.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Thu Nov 20 2014, 16:33

Just awesome!
Great conversion, she looks like a real goddess of glorious destruction and suffering.
And the, how should i say... colour balance? with the green weapons forming some kind of halo along with her hair is just epic painting IMO.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   

Back to top Go down

The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: