HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Sun Dec 16 2012, 11:39

I recently purchased my LGS’s club Dark Eldar army as no one seemed interested in playing with the old, part-painted models in various states of disrepair. Having started to collect Dark Eldar in 4th Edition, I have a certain fondness for the old models, so I saw a cheap opportunity to bolster the numbers of my Kabal.

I don’t consider any of the miniatures to be in a fit state to even field on the table yet, so my project (for as long as it takes) is to turn them into a usable supplement to my forces.  I’ve got the following models to work with:

8 Grotesques
9 Mandrakes
3 Raiders
1 Beastmaster w/ 4 Warp Beasts
1 Female Haemonculus w/ stinger pistol
6 Warriors w/ Blasters
17 Warriors w/ Splinter Cannons
2 Warriors w/ Dark Lances
About 60 Warriors w/ Splinter Rifles
Kruellagh the Vile
8 Wyches
7 Incubi
9 Reavers

My first move was to look at turning the old Mandrakes and Grotesques into current Wracks.  In fact, I started that thread before I thought of encapsulating the whole lot in an overarching project.  You can find progess on that here.

And in a further (but unrelated) look at classic DE minis, my take on Vect can be seen here.

I'll post further non-wrack updates in this thread as the project progresses...

Back from a long journey in realspace...

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream

Last edited by Plastikente on Fri Nov 21 2014, 17:30; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Sun Dec 16 2012, 15:05

You are a brave, brave soul tackling that box of chaos Razz Do you plan to mix new bits with the older models?

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Sun Dec 16 2012, 17:41

@Evil Space Elves wrote:
Do you plan to mix new bits with the older models?

In places. I have quite a lot of old warriors and some old Wyches already, so I think I can get away with cleaning them up and painting them nicely. Likewise, I think the Reavers stand alone as models, but I will probably add heat lances to a few, as I have some spares lying around. I am not even sure what I would do to the old Incubi to modify them, but again, I think they will be fine with a clean and some fresh paint.

As for using bits from the new kits... I have mixed the Grotesques and Mandrakes with coven bits, to make myself some surrogate Wracks. I really like what Crisis_Vyper did with his old Raiders (See the Aphotic Gallery), so I am trying to get hold of some spare sails to do the same.

And the rest... I don't know. I think most of the models have enough character to have some potential, with the probably exception of the old Warp Beasts - they're just rubbish.

Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Tue Jan 15 2013, 20:29

So, it's been a while, but the Wracks are now all finished:

I think they make a passable complement to my 5 finecast Wracks, and by using coven bits I hope I've managed to disguise where some of the models have duplicate poses. More detailed shots of the Wracks can be seen here.

Next on my list are the Reavers. I don't have any of the new Reaver models anyway, so these old ones will fit perfectly with the 5 Reavers I already have. I intend to convert 1 into an Arena Champion (for a total of 2), give 3 of them Heat Lances and 3 of them Blasters. This way, although I will not be able to legally field all of my Reavers at once, I can set them up either as 2 Squads of 6 (with 2 special guns and a Champion in each) or 1 squad of 9 (with 3 guns).

Back to top Go down
Preacher
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Tue Jan 15 2013, 21:37

Those classic Grotes are looking great. Smile I always found them a pain to paint so its always nice to see them done well.

I think what I like most is how you've managed to blend the old grote and mandrake models into the same unit and it works wonderful. Look forward to seeing more vintage DE.

"It is said that it is far better to rule in hell, than to serve in heaven...
To rule in hell is only the begining..."

Lady No'ki Vankar, Kabal of the Poisoned Claw
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Sun Feb 03 2013, 14:56

The project has been on hold for a little while while I've been concentrating on other things but now I've made a start on the Reavers.

8 of the 9 models had already been undercoated with black spray, so the grey additions are easy to see, but I have also circled them in green.

These heat lances were taken from the Talos/Cronos. I just had the trim down the dorsal vanes a bit with a hobby knife to create a nice flat surface to stick them to.

These "blasters" are actually disintegrator cannons. The one on the under-fin (on the right) comes from the Ravager kit, and the nozzle has been trimmed down to make it look more blaster-like. The two mounted on noses are from the Razorwing kit, but I didn't bother to trim it down as I thought that would make them too snub-nosed.

The Reaver on the left is the Arena Champion. He has a head swap from the Hellion kit (not easy to see in this photo) and an arm swap for some weighted flails. Of the other two, the one on the right was missing an arm, so required one from my bits box to complete the model. Finally the one in the middle got an arm swap too, because I didn't want him to feel left out as the only model of the nine with no modification Wink.

Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Feb 11 2013, 22:21

First 3 bikes are now painted:

Let me know what you think.

Back to top Go down
Lay_Ayanesha
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Tue Feb 12 2013, 06:24

The bikes look nice. But imho the drivers look unfinished and a little bit boring.
Back to top Go down
the Unsubtle
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Tue Feb 12 2013, 18:27

Looks great so far.
I'm in the same boat, I'm trying to re-vamp my old DE as best as I can.
Can't wait to see more!
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Tue Mar 19 2013, 19:33

It's been a while, but I've finished the remaining bikes:

My next project is going to be updating one of the classic Raider models, using some spare sails I got hold of via this forum Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Khain mor
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Fri Apr 26 2013, 12:48

I like the paintjob on these reavers, I really do, the freehands on them are pretty nice. I would put some more color on the pilots though, in just black they look a bit boring.

The Biggest Kabal ever, be sure to check it out if you haven't, old and new units.
The Biggest Dark Eldar Apocalypse force you'll find on the net.

My Eldar Facebook Page, feel free to join. All Eldar factions allowed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
SebastionSynn
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Sat Apr 27 2013, 11:42

@Plastikente wrote:
@Evil Space Elves wrote:
Do you plan to mix new bits with the older models?

I really like what Crisis_Vyper did with his old Raiders (See the Aphotic Gallery), so I am trying to get hold of some spare sails to do the same.

thanks for that, somehow i missed those pics in the gallery, but that's pretty close to what i've been picturing for my OOP Raiders as well, thinking a it differently for the keel blade though. the gunners and drivers were missing from mine, but seeing as how i got them for a different project that required the platforms to make Corsair Venoms, it wasn't an issue. Now, i need those drivers and gunners, so i'll have to do more bits shopping again. i like the idea of the chaos spikey fence that was added, but i think since i have a ton of old splinter rifles, i'll use them instead to simulate splinter racks on mine. really looking forward to your take on upgrading the old Raider models.
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Sat Apr 27 2013, 14:03

Progress has been a little slow lately. I'm trying to exercise some self-discipline to paint all the scenery I have lying about first, and I'm a bit distracted by the new Tau (although I'm not going to buy any more toys until the scenery is done ... I'm not...). I hope to get a revamped Raider posted before the end of May though.

Back to top Go down
SebastionSynn
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Sat Apr 27 2013, 22:12

@Plastikente wrote:
Progress has been a little slow lately. I'm trying to exercise some self-discipline to paint all the scenery I have lying about first, and I'm a bit distracted by the new Tau (although I'm not going to buy any more toys until the scenery is done ... I'm not...). I hope to get a revamped Raider posted before the end of May though.

well, we'll be here, unless we're out of town raiding some poor hapless imperium planet.
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Jul 08 2013, 17:02

@Plastikente wrote:
I hope to get a revamped Raider posted before the end of May though.
End of May ... yeah, right.  Hope you will all forgive a but of threadomancy, but this project is essentially back from the dead.

These conversion was inspired by Crisis_Vyper's post in the Aphotic Gallery, and achieved using sails that Crazy_Ivan traded with me for some bits from my Tau / Kroot spares.

I don't usually paint my flying bases, but some had been lost in transit, so I had to make this one out of plasticard.  My Bloodspray Kabal's symbol is painted freehand on the sails.

I like to spread my transports around the contingents of my army, so a couple of head swaps and a variation on the crew colour scheme turned this into a Wych version.  I swapped the Kabal symbols for some transfers on the sails.

And to complete the triumvirate, an extra arm and a bottle of glowing fluids make this the Wrack version.

Bigger pics can be seen in my Flickr stream (via my sig).  I don't know what I'm going to work on next, but hopefully you won't have to wait quite so long for the next update.

Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Jul 08 2013, 17:42

I think (hope) you're allowed to resurrect project logs as and when there's progress.

I don't think I'd seen these before, but nice to see how you've resurrected the old figures too. It's too late now, but I'd have suggested magnetising the weapon options on the RJBs - though from the sounds of it you have plenty anyway. Good work on the Raiders too.
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Jul 08 2013, 23:20

It's perfectly fine to resurrect your own threads. Great progress. And I'll definitely "take inspiration" (steal) from your idea with the sails on old raider models should I ever get my hands on one for cheap Very Happy. Very good painting and converting
Back to top Go down
Haemonculus
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Jul 08 2013, 23:27

Dude I love tthe old DE models, especially in conjunction with the new ones
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Tue Jul 09 2013, 00:16

@Ben_S wrote:
I think (hope) you're allowed to resurrect project logs as and when there's progress.

Only if it is an awesome post like this Razz  (Just kidding, you are totally allowed to post in your own old project thread!)

This is truly great stuff. Warms the icy heart of this old archon seeing the oldies revamped like this Twisted Evil 

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Tue Jul 09 2013, 05:09

I like the way your sails came out, I have one in the back of an old model, now I'll need to do one more midship, because that looks excellent.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Thu Jul 11 2013, 11:47

The sailor in me objects to the fact that the after sail and boom would collide with the pilot if he tried to tack, but it does look better with 2 sails than just one. And it's not like the rest of 40k vehicle design is physically plausible anyway.

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Thu Jul 11 2013, 12:39

@Plastikente wrote:
The sailor in me objects to the fact that the after sail and boom would collide with the pilot if he tried to tack, but it does look better with 2 sails than just one. And it's not like the rest of 40k vehicle design is physically plausible anyway.

I'm just amused by the term "The sailor in me". Kinky! Laughing

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Aug 12 2013, 15:30

In between enjoying my sailors, I have continued to paint up those old models...

In order to save time with these ones I invested a bit of money in some crimson acrylic spray paint.  Unfortunately I didn't notice when I bought it that it was gloss finish, not matt Rolling Eyes
I think I have got away with it though, after a shading wash, highlights and satin varnish.

I'm not a great fan of these models, but I figured I can perch 2 of them on the passenger gantries of each of the converted Raiders I did if I want to use them as Ravagers.  This is why the bases are finished with criss-cross metal, rather than in the usual snow.

I then moved on to these Warriors, kit-bashing them with all the new-style splinter rifles I had and new-style helmets.  That required a bit of dismemberment, as they had already been constructed by their previous owner.  Having completed one I thought the finished effect was passable, except for the massive 70s shoulder pads, so I went back and cut them down, and did the same with the rest of the models.

You can never have too many Darklight weapons in a Dark Eldar army, so I then moved on to kit-bash these warriors with new heads and constructed 5 Blasters and a Dark Lance from the parts for 1 Dark Lance, 2 Blast Pistols, 1 Disintegrator Cannon and some rifles.

Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Mon Aug 12 2013, 17:13

Looks like they're in good shape, good luck with your revamping!
Back to top Go down
Darthvegeta800
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   Thu Aug 15 2013, 23:20

Bought some cheap old school vehicles on ebay and the old batallion box. Gonna mix and mash with the 2 new battalions i have. And i'm purposefully using the old Incubi.
I'm hoping to kitbash away. Going to add in some Eldar Dire Avengers to boot. (love their helmets)
HOpefully it'll turn out half as good as your work Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log   

Back to top Go down

The Bloodspray Corsairs - Plastikente's Project Log
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-