HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

New to the City! Questions about DE!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Diezel
Slave

PostSubject: New to the City! Questions about DE!   Fri Nov 16 2012, 06:10

Hi... I'm new to the forum and to DE and just had a couple questions based off some of the info Ive gathered thus far.

1. Is it a waste to put Caltrops on Reavers? If so, Why?

2. With caltrops and bladevanes does the model with caltrops get the D6 attacks plus his D3 bladevanes? or just the D6 attacks from the caltrops?

Final. Aside from the pirate aspect that drew me into the DE, i also have a lot of love for the hellions, fluff and model wise. Are Hellions a competitive choice taken with the baron? As Ive noticed not a lot of people using them but could see how they could be useful, given the Jump Pack new rules(HoW) and hit and run.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: New to the City! Questions about DE!   Fri Nov 16 2012, 06:30

1. You probably want to give Reavers AV weapons and with them Caltrops will make them too expensive.
At this point they do became waste of points.

2. It replaces standart bladevane atack.

Hellions are ok in large group with baron, but have became less usable in 6th edition. People tend to use beasts with baron for what hellions used to do. But they are still good enough troops unit with Baron.
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: New to the City! Questions about DE!   Fri Nov 16 2012, 21:15

Hi and welcome.

1. You are spending 20pts on a random chance. What if you where to take 2 Caltrops then roll 1's on them the whole game. Would loose the appeal quick huh. On the other hand, rolling 6's all day and you think why bother with Venoms LOL

2. as Azdrubael said

I don't use Hellions

Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: New to the City! Questions about DE!   Fri Nov 16 2012, 21:47

Quote :
Cluster Caltrops?

Although very effective cluster caltrops are expensive and force you to bladevane as much as possible in order to justify their cost. Not only does this force reavers into an anti infantry role which is not something Dark Eldar armies normally lack, but it also gets your reavers into a lot more dangerous situations then they need to be.

It might be worth reading the reaver tactica I did a few months ago for skaredCast:

Part 1
Part 2

Hope that helps. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie

PostSubject: Re: New to the City! Questions about DE!   Sat Nov 17 2012, 21:47

Hellions are cool. There's so much scope for converting and painting them, they used to be a sub-sect of the Wych cults, Wyches fighting in the arenas on skyboards. Now they're rebellious teens, outcasts who band together into gangs and get up to torturous mischief - what's not to love?

I would never consider the Hellions without the Baron but have run them with him in both editions. They're good, hide well in terrain and take objectives, they even get an extra attack on the way into combat now. They have lost out regarding their saves as all cover used to be 4+ and FnP has got worse too. You'll see a lot of flamers around in most armies and they will ruin your day. I eventually dropped them as they just didn't suit my playstyle but I do miss them. It also depends on what you mean by competitive but you can do far worse by starting your list with Hellions.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Nomic
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New to the City! Questions about DE!   Sun Nov 18 2012, 09:12

Hellions are good for being very fast reasonably durable (for Dark Eldar: with stealth from Baron they can easily get a good cover save) troops. Without Baron they're outclassed by the other FA options. I ran some but since they were the only assault unit on my list I ended up using them more to asault things than as troops, and decided that if I am using them primarily to assault, I might as well get Beastmasters who do that job better.

New to the City! Questions about DE!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: