HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Shooting from transports.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
vharing
Hellion

PostSubject: Shooting from transports.    Fri Jun 10 2011, 02:44

I am trying to find the rule for if you can fire from a fast open-topped skimmer after it moves 12". I thought it existed, but now I am not sure. The only thing I can find is that you can only shoot if your raider moved less than 6". It came up on B&C in the Blood Angels forum and now I question if I have been play correctly or not.

Adrenalight Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Shooting from transports.    Fri Jun 10 2011, 02:51

There are no benefits to being fast or open topped regarding moving faster and shooting unfortunately. Alas you can move 12, jump out and shoot if that is any help to you.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor

PostSubject: Re: Shooting from transports.    Fri Jun 10 2011, 05:23

With one exception - RPJ Wartrukks/Battlewagons can move 7" (6"+1" free) and passangers may shoot without disembarking. This is good since you count as moving 6"+ for CC purposes...
Back to top Go down
Lysis
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shooting from transports.    Fri Jun 10 2011, 18:16

@Sky Serpent wrote:
There are no benefits to being fast or open topped regarding moving faster and shooting unfortunately. Alas you can move 12, jump out and shoot if that is any help to you.

Just like this - plan to dump out your guys into cover, and you get 12" move + 2" deploy. You can always re-embark next turn and move 6" and shoot again.

"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
Back to top Go down
adesapere
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shooting from transports.    Fri Jun 10 2011, 19:23

This kinda makes splinter racks not as effective if you're gonna just get out of the transport anyways to have more maneuverability which is what DE thrive upon.
Back to top Go down
Xelkireth
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Shooting from transports.    Fri Jun 10 2011, 19:41

Yeah. Splinter wracks are a waste of points.
Back to top Go down
Veldrith
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shooting from transports.    Fri Jun 10 2011, 23:58

Oh, I wouldn't go THAT far. You can remain embarked and unload on people with Splinter Racks if you have stuff in your army which demands the attention of your opponent more. I've had success with Splinter Racks, but the bottom line is that they don't really help with the one opponent we REALLY have issues with, alongside everyone else in the game (besides certain specific builds): Imperial Guard Chimera Chassis Spam.
Back to top Go down
xerxeshavelock
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shooting from transports.    Sun Jun 12 2011, 11:53

You could use Splinter Racks in a Duke Sliscus DSing army, thats probably the only decent use of them though
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dude
Master of Raids

PostSubject: Re: Shooting from transports.    Sun Jun 12 2011, 11:59

@xerxeshavelock wrote:
You could use Splinter Racks in a Duke Sliscus DSing army, thats probably the only decent use of them though

But not on the turn that you deepstrike as you count as travelling at cruising speed therefore no passenger my shoot.

PostSubject: Re: Shooting from transports.    Sun Jun 12 2011, 12:13

Well, You can disembark for that one turn (so passangers may shoot), then get back inside and have rerolls :/
Back to top Go down
Veldrith
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shooting from transports.    Sun Jun 12 2011, 19:43

I'd actually prefer Splinter Racks in an Asdrubael V. army, and for a long time, they worked fine. The problem is that Splinter Racks do not help against Mech, and Mech is the only thing we really need to stack the deck against. Splinter Racks turn your Warriors into an absolute NIGHTMARE for stuff like MCs and infantry, effectively giving you the firepower of Splinter Carbines when you rapid-fire. However, more lances and blasters will do as much damage to infantry that matter, rapid-firing splinters will do enough to deal with garbage infantry, and your Darklight weapons can ALSO de-mech people, which is what matters.

As for a Duke army, I'd bring Flickerfields over Splinter Racks -- anything to make my deepstriking vehicles more annoying to kill.
Back to top Go down
Captain Mayhem
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shooting from transports.    Wed Jun 15 2011, 03:29

I used splinter racks in a 500pt game to a scary amount of effectiveness. What I did was have the nightshielded raider loaded up with nine rifle toting warriors. All I need to do is target an HQ and he just falls over dead. And if no such target presents itself, I just go after a CC specalized unit. I keep it moving and in two to three turns, they're gone. not just broken, but dead.

Even if i decide to let the raider sit for a turn and let the unit close within 12", well.. i hope they're ready for 18 shots with to-hit rerolls.

Now, you stick the duke in a raider with nine warriors bringing along a splinter cannon and get that raider in 12" of infantry. 20 to-hit rerolls with the ability to reroll eighteen of them, and they're all wounding on a 3+ equals the ability to wipe out hordes so fast it will make your opponents' head spin.
Back to top Go down
Rangrok1k
Hellion

Location : The Spires of upper Commorragh, amongst the Scourges

PostSubject: Re: Shooting from transports.    Thu Jun 16 2011, 04:59

Um... Has anyone done the math?

Splinter Racks = Poison 3+ Splinter Rifles

Splinter Racks:
(2/3 + (1/3 * 2/3)) * 1/2 = 4/9 Wound

Poison 3+:
2/3 * 2/3 = 4/9 Wound

theblackjackal
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shooting from transports.    Thu Jun 16 2011, 21:36

@Rangrok1k wrote:
Um... Has anyone done the math?

Splinter Racks = Poison 3+ Splinter Rifles

Splinter Racks:
(2/3 + (1/3 * 2/3)) * 1/2 = 4/9 Wound

Poison 3+:
2/3 * 2/3 = 4/9 Wound

And to think that with the Duke, you can have both...

3+ poison + Splinter Racks:
18 shots (BS4 from 9 splinter rifles with +4 re-rolls) = 16 hits
16 hits (3+ poison) = 10.66 wounds

Statistically, that's an IG Infantry squad wiped off the map in one round of shooting, assuming they're not in cover. Against almost anything else, that's a leadership test from a 301-point unit.

Is it a deathstar unit? Of course. Is it fragile? Absolutely! However, it does its job, and it does that job pretty well, according to the numbers.

https://sites.google.com/site/frontier2170

Shooting from transports.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Rules: Queries & Questions
-
Jump to: