Share | 

Fresh blood with a few questions...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bladewail
Slave

PostSubject: Fresh blood with a few questions...   Thu Sep 27 2012, 10:30

Hello there

Im an old fantasy player, having played the game on and off for some five years. Since iv changed location, the meta has shifted for more in favor of 40K, and as such im playing with the idea of starting a Dark Eldar army, an idea that would have gotten me lynched back home.
Since im compleatly fresh to 40K and understand virtually nothing (I read the army book and a few tacctical posts, and it was all in ancient greek to me), im fairly sure that the first logical step is to buy the main rulebook, but apart from that , I have a few questions:

Is it roughly true that the dark eldar operate similar to the wood, dark and high elves in fantasy on the whole "High damage, fast and about as fragile as two blades of grass" - mentality?

The main models that attract me about the Dark Eldar are the following: Archon, Incubi, Warriors, Raiders, Scourges, Ravager, the Razoringwing and the Talos. Im not hardcore competative, as I enjoy winning with odd choices of armies/units (Main armies are wood elves and beastmen, go figure) and tend to stay away from units that are obviously overpowered to the point of brokedness. Hence my question is if one could build a good list consisting of these units that could be described as "strong, but not stupidly so"?

What are the current "sweet spot" points level in 40K at the moment? For example, in fantasy the current "magic point level" is 2.500 points. AKA the point level where most matches are fought.

Im under the impression that the dark eldar have no psychic abilities, the equivalen of magic in fantasy. Is this true? And if it is, do you find that loosing out on a phase of the game in this regard is noteworthy, or is it really only a slight downside you dont really pay attention to?

Thanks for your time, cuddoes!
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: Fresh blood with a few questions...   Thu Sep 27 2012, 11:12

Welcome to the Dark City Bladewail!

You are joining 40k at a great time, 6th edition has given the game a lot more depth and the game feels a lot more intense and less shallow then it did in previous editions.

@Bladewail wrote:

Is it roughly true that the dark eldar operate similar to the wood, dark and high elves in fantasy on the whole "High damage, fast and about as fragile as two blades of grass" - mentality?

Dark Eldar are most similar to Wood Elves in Fantasy. Very mobile, very powerful, but made of paper. A shooting orientated Dark Eldar army tends to dance around its opponent in a similar fashion to a a shooting orientated Wood Elves army. A wych based assault army is a lot like using war dancers, it requires thought and planning. A coven army is just like a Wood Elf Dryad/Tree Spirit army more resilient but not as mobile.

@Bladewail wrote:

The main models that attract me about the Dark Eldar are the following: Archon, Incubi, Warriors, Raiders, Scourges, Ravager, the Razoringwing and the Talos. Im not hardcore competative, as I enjoy winning with odd choices of armies/units (Main armies are wood elves and beastmen, go figure) and tend to stay away from units that are obviously overpowered to the point of brokedness. Hence my question is if one could build a good list consisting of these units that could be described as "strong, but not stupidly so"?

Dark Eldar are one of the hardest armies to play, and in 40k you will soon come to learn that the power armoured poster boys of 40k (space marines) get all the toys and love. On that not I don't think you will ever make a Dark Eldar army that is too strong (think wood elves army book in fantasy, not the dark elves book). The best thing about the Dark Eldar codex is almost all the unit entries are viable, so as long as you can get them to work together you should be able to run all the units you mentioned and still have a good list.

@Bladewail wrote:

What are the current "sweet spot" points level in 40K at the moment? For example, in fantasy the current "magic point level" is 2.500 points. AKA the point level where most matches are fought.

This depends on your local area, normally games are between 1500-2000 points (rarely over 2000), with the new edition the game is a bit slower so people seem to be moving back to slightly smaller games (1500 points). Dark Eldar work really well at every points level so this isn't really a problem. Another thing to know is that unlike Fantasy, 40k can be a lot of fun at smaller point levels (500-1000 points).

@Bladewail wrote:

Im under the impression that the dark eldar have no psychic abilities, the equivalen of magic in fantasy. Is this true? And if it is, do you find that loosing out on a phase of the game in this regard is noteworthy, or is it really only a slight downside you dont really pay attention to?

Yes, Dark Eldar do not have access to Psychic powers. However, psychic powers are no where near as important as magic is in Fantasy (running an army without magic that isn't dwarves is madness), in 40k this is not a problem. Also if you really want to use "magic" Dark Eldar are Battle Brothers (best friends forever) with Eldar so we have access to arguably the most powerful psykers in the game. That being said it's not compulsory, and the army works absolutely fine without any "magic".

Hope that helps. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Fresh blood with a few questions...   Sat Sep 29 2012, 01:03

I basically agree with Mushkilla across the board.

That said, I will note that liking Ravagers, Razorwings, and Talos and wanting to have them all in the same army will leave you a very splintered and undirected Heavy Force Org. I would suggest that, picking any two to fill the slots would allow you to still work well, but all three will not be so good as your army would lack some focus and also redundancy in one of our more important slots.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fresh blood with a few questions...   

Back to top Go down

Fresh blood with a few questions...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: