HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

My first Dark Eldar Outing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kulver
Slave

PostSubject: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Mon Aug 27 2012, 06:07

I finally got my newly assembled 1750 point army on the field tonight for a couple games...it did not go as well as expected. My opponent played Necrons and had 4 flyers in his list (and very little else). They infantry stayed in the transports until turn 5 and just zipped around the board blasting me to bits in the meantime. I just didn't have an answer for his flyers. The second game was very close as I held my CC companies (and transports) back in cover and took shots at whatever they could, waiting for him to disembark. He beat me with a couple last second deployments from his flyers to contest objectives. I suppose I'm going to have to buy some DE flyers now if I want to compete.
Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Mon Aug 27 2012, 07:19

The important thing to keep in mind with Flyer is that he loses if he has nothing on the table. Use your first turn or 2 to try to wipe out the units that start on the field or at the very least cripple there movement speed so you can better abuse the fact Flyers must move at least 18".

The strategic Warlord traits come in very handy with the ability to force Nightfight, Redelopy units or most importantly reduce his reserve rolls.

I have personlly found taking an Ageis Defence Line with Quad-gun to be very effective. 4 S7 Shots can cripple or destroy a flyer the turn it comes in which can make a huge difference to keeping your units alive.

This
is my 2k points list that proved to be very effective against Necrons the last week.

Kabalite Warrior Helm Project Log: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t5342-real-life-kabalite-helm
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Mon Aug 27 2012, 07:40

With that many flyers it's important to take the fight to his deploymentzone. Flatout (4+ coversaves)/turboboost(3+ coversaves) to his deploymentzone. The flyers will fly over you or get 1 turn of shooting at most. Put lots of ruïns on his deploymentzone during terrain deployment. So you can hide on his side.

Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Mon Aug 27 2012, 12:23

Terrain deployment and being aggressive are very important against flyers. Getting into his deployment zone will help reduce the damage the necron player can do. Use your mobility to try and finish within 18" of his flyers on your turn, that way he can't shoot you (as he has to move a minimum of 18"). Also try and keep your units more then 6" away from each other to prevent the "arc" effect from tesla distructors. Our infantry are very fragile so when setting up your objectives try and get them in forests or ruins, these are area terrain so you get +2 to cover saves when going to ground, this means even wyches can get a 2+ cover save when going to ground in a ruin (or a 3+ in a forest). Another thing is night fight in the later stages of the game is a good advantage for you, as it will help protect your infantry when they go for objectives on turn 5 or 6. Finally reavers are very useful for contesting his objectives as they are extremely fast and reasonably resilient thanks to their 3+ jink save when turboboosting.

There is a battle report in my signature against a necron list with four flyers similar to the one you described which might be helpful to you (it has pictures too!). Although at one point the necron player deployed some of his troops which was a bad move on his part, but hopefully the report itself will be useful as most of the tactics described above were used.

Hope that helps. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Wych

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Mon Aug 27 2012, 12:44

@tlronin wrote:
Flatout (4+ coversaves)/turboboost(3+ coversaves) to his deploymentzone.

Isnt it:
Move (5+)
Flatout (4+)?

tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Mon Aug 27 2012, 12:51

@Skulnbonz wrote:
@tlronin wrote:
Flatout (4+ coversaves)/turboboost(3+ coversaves) to his deploymentzone.

Isnt it:
Move (5+)
Flatout (4+)?

Thought it would be clear that since Reavers are the only unit that can turboboost in our codex and they have Skilled Rider (which grants +1 on your coversave) it would be obvious what I ment. Smile

Orthien
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Mon Aug 27 2012, 22:42

Its important to note here that skimmers move "Flat out" only Reavers "Turbo boost"

Kabalite Warrior Helm Project Log: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t5342-real-life-kabalite-helm
Back to top Go down
kulver
Slave

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Tue Aug 28 2012, 01:49

Thanks for the input everyone...there is some valuable stuff here for me. On the second game I was more aggressive in getting some squads into his deployment zone but he brought the flyers in at such an angle that he parked them right behind me and blasted the hell out of my raiders. Plus, I did forget about that tesla effect and suffered horribly for it. I was thinking of bringing a WWP and trying to drop it in his deployment zone...then bringing a couple Talos engines out of it to wreak havoc...what do you all think?
Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Tue Aug 28 2012, 02:18

Remember the Talos can't attack the turn they arrive from WWP.
You will almost always take a heavy hit when they first arrive. The best idea is to utilize Cover and Flatout Jink saves to keep your stuff alive. If you can live past the turn they arrive then you can stay within 18" of them to limit how many can hit you which can let you avoid fire while taking out the other stuff on the table.
Remember that the Cannons can only fire in a 45° arc from the weapon mounting under the hull which even with the 90° turn give quite a large blindspot behind them once they move their 18".

Back to top Go down
kulver
Slave

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Tue Aug 28 2012, 02:31

Thanks Orthien. It looks like I'll just have to get my raiders across the table asap and play more aggressively.
Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Tue Aug 28 2012, 03:06

Aggressive is good but using that fast aggressive move as your defense is what counts.
If you have first turn you get 2 turns to set up before he can arrive which helps a lot. You want to use those turn or 2 to take out the dangerous ground units while getting to his side and some kind of save.
It took me a few games to realize that what I thought was aggressive, just wasn't aggressive enough.

Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Tue Aug 28 2012, 08:27

Yeah, sorry when I mean aggressive I mean aggressive with everything, deployment, movement and shooting.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Tue Aug 28 2012, 09:52

It is also a good idea to reserve Ravagers or other things can pose threat to flyers. Cause otherwise - they are the first to be hit.

Enfernux
Wych

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Tue Aug 28 2012, 10:20

@Azdrubael wrote:
It is also a good idea to reserve Ravagers or other things can pose threat to flyers. Cause otherwise - they are the first to be hit.

not if you can make them flyers go over your unites and be unable to fire!
Most flyerspam lists will have only small chunks of infantry on the board, so if you flat/turbo to their side, not much harm can come to you.
So if he has those small schunks, why not move your rav to their side of the board? If it has 3 DLs, you wouldnt be doing much harm anyaways(1.67 kills a turn), and missing out one turn of shooting to be effective later on dith dizzies(4 kills a turn) well ill go with it. And if he spends shooting with his schunks on that rav, well, all the better, for my cc unites can decimate him to easy!
Sadly - Laughing - i dont use ravs, i use DWJF ^^

Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/enfer.nux?ref=tn_tnmn
Orthien
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   Tue Aug 28 2012, 22:39

@Enfernux wrote:
not if you can make them flyers go over your unites and be unable to fire!
Most flyerspam lists will have only small chunks of infantry on the board, so if you flat/turbo to their side, not much harm can come to you.

The problem is that they can hit your the first turn, they just fly in at an angle from the far side of the deployment zone. Yes some might be out of luck but its not going to save everything against the flyers.
Secondly it depends on the list in my last 2k game they have 4 flyers and still brought some Ghostarcs and Monoliths. Even if they had dropped a Monolith or two for more flyers thats a lot of rapidfire guass and high strenght attacks that you are boosting into by being on his side. Your Ravagers will be glanced to death with gauss 6's and have the flyers that get in range to Telsa them.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first Dark Eldar Outing   

Back to top Go down

My first Dark Eldar Outing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: