Share | 

Crossing of Hearts.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Devilish
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Crossing of Hearts.   Thu Dec 06 2012, 21:26

I just found this story. I must say it's a great read, really evokes the dark eldar feeling.

Really like the characters.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: Crossing of Hearts.   Thu Dec 06 2012, 22:08

Thanks, Devilish. I am glad that you are enjoying it!

There are only three, maybe four parts left to go now. Expect betrayal, backstabbing, betrayal and blood!

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: Crossing of Hearts.   Sun Dec 09 2012, 13:11

“It is a wonderful evening, is it not?”
“It is filled with the screams of the innocent. Their anguish is music to my ears, silk to my skin.” Althianesh answered, perched as she was precariously upon the bow of her Raider. They had flown through many regions of T’llionoch and savoured the terror that had befallen it. The Archon pretended to enjoy it as Althianesh was almost an entire millennium younger than he was, and she was far more sensitive to the world around them. “Tell me,” Alithianesh broke the momentary silence, “why did you request my presence?”

“Oh, no reason, really. I was just getting bored being pent up in my chamber and if I were to force my way out I would have the entire Kabal hunt me. If, however, I requested to be under the supervision of a radiant young woman that could cut my throat quicker than I could draw my blade then maybe I would be allowed to enjoy myself.”

“Yes, I understand that.” She didn’t bother to turn back to look at him. She had ignored his charm, but not noticed him inflating her ego. “But why me? Why your enemy’s daughter?”

“Oh, my dear Princess! You have the situation gravely misunderstood! Dernia and I are not enemies… we have just had a disagreement.”

“A disagreement does not make my father want to gut you and hang your skin from his battlements. A disagreement with my father ends with an apology on either side, or else it escalates causing the deaths of millions.”

“Am I supposed to be intimidated?”

“No, Archon of the Black Heart.” She hissed out the name. “You are supposed to understand. If you had merely upset my father he would seek an apology from you, and maybe your tongue, or a couple of fingers. He, however, is off scheming. He is out for blood, not for words.”

“Hmm.” The Archon considered it and paced back and forth across the deck, his ghostlike tendril hair drifting gracefully over his ebony black armour that sparkled with the flickers of gunfire and distant raging skirmishes. “Well then, let me enjoy what little time I have left in the Depraved Reserves. I have heard that the hunting there is wondrous.”

Splinters of wood and pieces of shrapnel engulfed Dernia as he flew down into the street. He would have expected with the force of the hit for an explosive to have detonated, but there was no fireball, and there was not searing light to blind him in his descent.

Even being winded and stunned by the blow, Dernia flipped to his feet, wiping away the blood that was flowing into his eye from his split brow, and activated his Power Sword.

He was shaken slightly, but not at all afraid. Slamming a glowing rune at his heart fresh drugs poured into his bloodstream, making him the predator. He looked up to the room, the outer wall now completely sheered off, and looked either side with his acute eyes. If something was out to kill him then he would put up more than a fight. It stood at nine feet tall, the mass of darkness that had assaulted him. Razorspines and shredding fangs protruded from every inch of its alien body. Its six eyes looked down at him with a bloodlust that was not too dissimilar from Dernia’s own thirst.

The beast snarled, opening its fanged maw wide, giving Dernia enough time to move into his own vantage point in the dark.

He knew what this beast was. He had seen many a Wych and Beasmaster become decapitated by them. He had seen the mighty warriors of the Adeptus Astartes wrestle with them and leave them with laughable wounds where they were left without limbs and life.

This creature was a Bhargesi.

The homeworld of these hyper-violent beasts had been cordoned off by an entire Space Marine Chapter to prevent them being assimilated by a Tyranid Hive Fleet. Humans had attempted to colonise the world, but were repelled time and time again by the savage creatures.

They had been the centrepiece of many Wych Cult Arena shows that he had visited, but never had he ever wanted to face one yet when the challenge was presented he couldn’t help but relish in it.

Dernia stepped carefully; making sure every footstep was silent as the creature advanced down to the ground. It snarled and snorted, breathing out into the shadows in an attempt to sniff him out. The Grand Archon had deactivated his weapon as to hide his location. Many times, however, the Bhargesi stood starring into the shadows directly where Cavash stood. At these moments, when Dernia felt like lashing out, he had stopped all breathing and movement to make the beast move along.

He threw stones and rubble across streets and alleys, distracting him and luring him away.

For many streets they continued their lethal game of Kymerae and Mon-keigh until Dernia could finally see one street across into the central road, leading up the hill.

In his anticipation to escape the creature and deliver the killing blow he was careless and stumbled.

Growling snarls and twisted screams came from the alien that now pounded the ground beside him. The floor split beneath where the Archon had been moments ago as muscle thrashed and teeth gnawed.

Dernia had barely managed to role away, delivering two shots into the chest of the beast. Its green eyes flashed with rage as Dernia turned to run, making it go down to all fours and charge.

Dernia flipped over the monster before turning the opposite direction to run up the hill. Only through this quick thinking was he able to buy himself little time as the monster collided with a hovel, annihilating its outer face.
The sound made Dernia reminisce to an ancient victory when he was still less than four centuries old. He had toppled an entire spire with the aid of five other Kabals, condemning the populations of two enemy Kabals and eighteen Reaver Gangs. The sound of the destruction reminded him of the catastrophic he had orchestrated.

The minor lapse in Dernia’s concentration had allowed the Bhargesi the upper hand. Without paying attention to its location it had managed to clamber up high where it could leap down to crush the Grand Archon. If what little remaining light hadn’t been blocked out by the alien’s mass Dernia would have certainly been killed. He dashed to the side and spun; Power Sword out and rising, to form a veil of lightning that cut a deep wound into the beast. Its blood-curdling scream was beautiful sound to behold, but where it would usually signify death for a lesser creature the Bhargesi lashed out, sending the Archon hurtling through the window of one of the dwellings.

The first thing the Archon noticed was the presence of the Parched, which he easily executed with precision shots. Then he noticed the beast outside tearing away at panels, its one great arm clawing inside in an attempt to drag Cavash out.

Quickly he edged away, kicking through the wall into the next establishment where he tried to become lost in the shadows.

It wasn’t far now. He would soon be in the waste pipes leading to the traitor. All he had to do was get rid of the beast.

He was running low on ammunition as he had packed lightly, expecting little resistance. Enraged at his own foolishness he looked to his Plasma Grenades. He had one left. It was cold to the touch as everything was in this damp ridden slum, but unlike everything else here he could use it to escape the unfortunate situation.
If he could kill the alien then that would perfect, but even if he could wound or stun it, or even just disable it temporarily, then he would be able to get to the waste pipe less than eighty metres away.

The wind howled, his body ached with chill, he pulled the pin…

The beast wailed and roared. The Splinters in its back were starting to make it drowsy, but the Hellglaive to the shoulder had really made it angry.

One of its great toothed paws scratched at the Hellion’s Skyboard but the Night Hydra was too fast for the beast to catch.

Now, with it distracted, Dernia broke out into the open and covered the space in a matter of seconds. Falling down in the waste stream that formed a foul river in the slum, he slid into the opening and breathed a sigh of relief.

Now he could relax momentarily, with his last Plasma Grenade primed. It seemed a waste.

He closed his eyes for a moment and then screamed out in pain.

Eighteen needle sharp teeth had sunk into his calf and were dragging him towards that snarling mouth of the beast.

Dernia hacked and slashed, tendons and quills filling the air, but it refused to relinquish its grasp. When he could take no more, and was close enough to the alien, he cut the tooth laden hand from its arm and plunged the grenade into its open mouth before stabbing it in the skull and sending it reeling back.

Quickly he scrambled up the tube and jumped face first into the chemical stream.

Even with his eyes closed his retinas burnt from the flash, but luckily he had escaped with minor injuries.
At least the rest of the journey would be far simpler now.

Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: Crossing of Hearts.   Sun Dec 09 2012, 13:13

For those of you that are unaware of what a Bhargesi is, here is a picture.
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4783/wsg1bhargesi.jpg

This was fun to write, but alas it is coming to an end now. There are two or three parts left now and then it will be finished. I might have it all completed by tonight.

Back to top Go down
Lady Malys
She Who Must Be Obeyed

PostSubject: Re: Crossing of Hearts.   Sun Dec 09 2012, 15:35

Action! Adventure! Violent destruction of property! More! Very Happy

~ Aim to please, shoot to kill. ~
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: Crossing of Hearts.   Sun Dec 09 2012, 15:38

More is to come! I am writing the next part as we speak! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: Crossing of Hearts.   Sun Dec 09 2012, 16:00

His limp was irritating him immensely. Many things in this damned city irritated him, but never before had one of them been physically attached to him. Bah, the imperfection!

The only thing he could do until he returned wit the traitor’s head would be to consume more drugs and hope that the inconvenient limb stopped bothering him. Through the pipes he moved as quickly as his damaged form would allow, the constant drip of chemical waste grinding at his sanity. Once this is over, he thought, I shall have my Janissaries level the lower districts, damn these insufferable peasants!

His drug addled mind had lost its perception of time. Had he been in these winding pipes for an eternity or for the merest of seconds? Did he actually have a family and a Kabal or were these pipes all that he had ever known?

While contemplating the nature of his own existence he found that he had wandered out into a wide cavity mined into the ground where many outlet pipes oozed their toxic filth. Up a set of small stone stairs a single beam of light came down, cutting through the dank air and providing the Archon with a small sense of what was real again.

Then it came back to him, why he was here, and he gritted his teeth as he stormed up the stairs and cut open the hatch for him to climb through.

He did not care for being careful now. He could take one more life this day without falling from his exhaustion.
He punched through the bars and climbed up into the green glow of the traitor’s drug lab. The sterile, glowing lights that exuded the burning colours from the centre of darkness made Dernia squint momentarily. The air was unbearably humid here, and he had the feeling that he was not alone.

Activating his Power Sword the Archon walked forward and demolished the delicate equipment. Glass and crystal smashed, fluids mixed and combusted and air was filled with acrid smoke.

Then, at the door, he saw a man.

“Who are you?” He asked without a whimper or a sign of fear in his voice. This man held an Agoniser that looked terribly out of place in his drug withered hands.

“Who are you?” Dernia demanded, his highborn voice rendering the man quizzical.

“The king of these parts. Put down your weapon.”

“You’re the king? Oh, how dare-” Dernia advanced immediately, cutting the whip wielding hand off of the man before slamming his foot full force into his chest. The man mourned the loss of his hand with a scream. His body slammed into a metal sheet wall causing the room to reverberate. Dernia delivered, in rapid succession, nine strikes upon the wretches chest, cracking ribs like the keys of a delicate piano. When the man ceased to breathe Dernia threw him across the room with one hand before kneeling beside him and injecting a blue substance into his neck.

The man came back around, screaming and writhing until the Archon filled him with enough pain killers to enable him to talk.

“Who are you?” He demanded yet again.

“The-”

“Do not dare say the king of these parts, urchin! I have more power than you could ever dream to posses. What is your name?”

“I am-” His wounded gasps were taking to long.

“Do you know, or have you ever dealt with, one Archon Vershnarr Gaire’h Teyl’kor of the Supreme Overlord’s venerated Black Heart Kabal?”

The man’s face told Dernia all that he needed to know.

“Are you planning to usurp me?”

“Who are you?” He begged, true fear in his voice.

“Grand Archon Dernia Cavash!”

“No! Not at all, sire. Never you!”

“Then who?”

The man died quickly. He bit into his tongue splitting a concealed capsule of virulent toxins. He was dead within seconds.

All that Dernia could do now was to return home with what little information he had gathered.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crossing of Hearts.   

Back to top Go down

Crossing of Hearts.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Stories & Art; The Black Library
-
Jump to: