HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
StaticVortex
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:49 pm

Well put GAR.

I am looking forward to seeing how things play out and using some equipment that tends to lie dormant in our lists...such as taking Crucible of Malediction to face off against some Grey Knights.

Over all, I think it is more a matter of how we 'think' about the game....we're so used to the way we push in, and that has changed now. The best thing about Dark Eldar is...there's always another way!
Back to top Go down
Allandrel
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:04 pm

My thinking is that Webway Assault has gone the way of the Rhino Rush*. You can still build an assault army that uses webway portals, but it will require such a different plan and playstyle that it will effectively be a new army type.

*For those who have not been playing 40k for ages, the "Rhino Rush" was a popular Space Marine build in 3rd edition. Back then, you could move a Rhino forward 12", disembark the Tactical Marines, fire their bolters once, and then assault with them. Fourth edition removed assaulting after disembarking and assaulting after firing Rapid Fire weapons. Since then, there have still been assault-heavy Marine armies that used transports, but none of them could be called "Rhino Rush" armies.
Back to top Go down
PartridgeKing
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:17 pm

On a very brief tangential aside is no one else most disturbed that it seems the FAQ's made almost no use of all the fancy new Special Rules that were just introduced to the game?

I have yet to see anything that is a 'Vector Dancer', has 'Missile Lock', 'It Will Not Die' etc. Also considering the main rule book had a massive appendix of weapons one would have thought more of the existing weapons might have gained some of the special rules as well...

In any case am I correct in thinking that our pair of flyers have the ability to move up to 36" in the Movement phase and then up to 36" in the Shooting phase by moving Flat Out? - This being apparently all Supersonic now means, faster flat out and the inability to enter hover mode - something Flyers only get if specified in their profile anyway.

Also one assumes Lady Malys' Precognisant rule allows us to bypass the normal limitation on only having 50% of our force in reserve, or do we end up being unable to Precog a unit into Reserve if we've already hit our 50% limit?

A stitch in time, saves nine.

---

The Templar & The Alien - Battle Report

---

No Rest for the Wicked, a UK based Warhammer 40,000 LARP
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:34 pm

@Allandrel wrote:
My thinking is that Webway Assault has gone the way of the Rhino Rush*. You can still build an assault army that uses webway portals, but it will require such a different plan and playstyle that it will effectively be a new army type.

*For those who have not been playing 40k for ages, the "Rhino Rush" was a popular Space Marine build in 3rd edition. Back then, you could move a Rhino forward 12", disembark the Tactical Marines, fire their bolters once, and then assault with them. Fourth edition removed assaulting after disembarking and assaulting after firing Rapid Fire weapons. Since then, there have still been assault-heavy Marine armies that used transports, but none of them could be called "Rhino Rush" armies.

On another side tangent... I think we will see the return of rhino rush. Considering you can run up 18", then move 6" get out, rapid fire, then overwatch as they come in. 11.667 per hull point that can repair itself on an immobilize and comes with a storm bolter is really cheap...
Back to top Go down
Arkynomicon
Slave

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:40 pm

I mostly play against Tyranids anyway so I don't think I need to worry to much.
Back to top Go down
StaticVortex
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:43 pm

@PartridgeKing - Yes, for two reasons: first, the reserves would have already been declared prior to deployment and therefore have satisfied reserve requirements. Second, the codex rule over rides the core rules.

I've not played with Lady Malys as yet...hmmmm.
Back to top Go down
Allandrel
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:46 pm

@PartridgeKing wrote:
On a very brief tangential aside is no one else most disturbed that it seems the FAQ's made almost no use of all the fancy new Special Rules that were just introduced to the game?

I have yet to see anything that is a 'Vector Dancer', has 'Missile Lock', 'It Will Not Die' etc. Also considering the main rule book had a massive appendix of weapons one would have thought more of the existing weapons might have gained some of the special rules as well...

GW seems more interested in setting up a rules set for future books than in trying to balance existing books. I would not mind so much if it were not for their tendency to only update 2 armies a year, and that Dark Eldar will probably not receive an update with fancy new rules until 2022, well into 7th edition.

I found it very funny that 6E nerfed Eldar Wicthblade armor penetration from 9 + 1d6 to 3 + 2d6, but did not change Singing Spears at all.

Quote :
In any case am I correct in thinking that our pair of flyers have the ability to move up to 36" in the Movement phase and then up to 36" in the Shooting phase by moving Flat Out? - This being apparently all Supersonic now means, faster flat out and the inability to enter hover mode - something Flyers only get if specified in their profile anyway.

Yup. This means it is perfectly simple for a Void Raven to come in from reserve, drop its bomb on nearly any unit on the table, and the fly off the board back into reserve.

Quote :
Also one assumes Lady Malys' Precognisant rule allows us to bypass the normal limitation on only having 50% of our force in reserve, or do we end up being unable to Precog a unit into Reserve if we've already hit our 50% limit?

The restriction on reserves specifies "when deploying their armies" and Malys' ability is used after deploymeny is finished, so I can see the logic here. One of the many things GW should have addressed in the FAQ.
Back to top Go down
dangerous beans
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Edit: forget my original pessimism as I think the argues above overule what my gut was saying haha!

Yes Supersonic only does that now (and Aerial Assault was erased from our fliers too), but as Allandril says - it works well for the bomber (I think anyway!) Furthermore, this could be of use for the Razorwing if we are seeking aerial supremacy: it gives it a chance to arrive and disappear again if enemy AA is still too strong: allowing us another turn to knock out any AA turrents. Talking of which, the AA turrents (Icarus Lascannon and the Gattling Gun thing with Str7) seemed to have T7 and 2 wounds - does this mean that poison can affect them?!

Sadly none of the new USRs are used by any models (same as 8th ed fantasy - there are
rules for sea monsters that have not yet been used and thats had 5 army books released now!)

Edits:
@shadows revenge wrote:
I think we will see the return of rhino rush
and supposedly that Rhinos can transport x2 tact squads now for some peculiar reason: as if imperials needed a boost really.

Allandrel
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:18 pm

@dangerous beans wrote:
Sadly none of the new USRs are used by any models (same as 8th ed fantasy - there are
rules for sea monsters that have not yet been used and thats had 5 army books released now!)

I really want to see the fish people the Dark Elves army book and 8E rulebook kept dropping hints about!

Quote :
and supposedly that Rhinos can transport x2 tact squads now for some peculiar reason: as if imperials needed a boost really.

In the FAQ, you can split a squad into Combat Squads ans still start both of them on board a Rhino. I suspect that this is for the same reason that FAQ gave Necron Night Scythes a completely new ability to move 24" and disembark a unit that can fire at full BS, or zoom 36" and disembark a unit that can fire Snap Shots.

(The reason is Mat Ward.)
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:46 am

I'm sure I read somewhere that people where wanting to take a Sybarite, then give the Sybarite the Blaster/Splinter Cannon or Dark Lance so that when a 6 is rolled he can allocate the wound on the model of his choice.... I don't see this possible, given the way our codex is written, as the Sybarite can only take a Blast Pistol and none of the above.

Am I thinking of the right thing, or have I consumed 1 too many Combat Drugs?!?!?!

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:03 am

You are correct.

A sybarite is not a warrior, so he cannot take a blaster. Its quite explicit on pg 89 of our codex.

One kabalite warrior may be upgraded to a sybarite

The sybarite may take:
Ghostplate
PGL
He may replace his rifle with:
pistol and CCW
and/or replace pistol with:
blaster pistol
or replace ccw with:
venom blade
PW
agonizer

Nothing in there about blasters or dark lances.
Back to top Go down
Ruke
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:23 am

There was a very long discussion about this elsewhere, it was concluded that a sybarite was not, in fact, a kabalite warrior and therefor was not able to take upgrades that said "one out of 10 warriors may take" etc...

Thread here

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:56 pm

kwi, i totallly understand how you feel about the WWP becoming unusable, I used to run maxed beasts ( thanks to flesh hounds looking like khymerae and can be easily changed by adding some arms) and pummel anything in my way from the webway portal..... but now, they have to soak fire for one turn before bashing, which isn't a huge problem but i liked it better when they took fire with feel no pain. plus wound allocation is a biach to us now as we cannot allocate weaker attacks on the any wounded clawed fiends and razorwings.

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:40 am

sure you can... just set up your assault force like this

..rk
kbbr
rbbk
..kr

k=khymera
r=razorwin
b=beastmaster/baron

Doing it this way will alow you to always have a razorwing and a khymera as the closest models to the enemy fire... so you can alocate the wounds how you want...

Wych

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:48 am

I think there must be a reason why all the f.a.q's say 'V.1'. In a few weeks or months we'll probably start seeing them upgraded to 'V.2' or 'V.1.5' and so on, one by one. It's just a matter of hoping they get around to ours sooner rather than later! I suspect we'll be among the first (although maybe not THE first).
Back to top Go down
Nomic
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Necrons apparently got all their weapons ap listed in the iphone codex (no real suprises, tho. Except that hyperphase swords are indeed swords and always ap3. No axes for you, Necrons!). Perhaps they will clarify these things to other armies as well.

malevolent_one
Slave

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:57 pm

@Grumpy Kwi wrote:

I really want to know what happened to Phil through all this, is this how he envisioned his codex to end up? He knew about all these changes? I dunno about that.

I think honestly, if any of the FAQs were handled by the ACTUAL writers of the Codex in question it would make everything "on par" rather then "WTF are you serious". Believe me, I won't hate on GW but these FAQs always make me face palm.
I agree with the guys on the podcast The Codex Project, GW probably just make the newest interns do it who have no idea what the original Codex writers had in mind for the respective army.

@Barking Agatha wrote:
I think there must be a reason why all the f.a.q's say 'V.1'. In a few weeks or months we'll probably start seeing them upgraded to 'V.2' or 'V.1.5' and so on, one by one. It's just a matter of hoping they get around to ours sooner rather than later! I suspect we'll be among the first (although maybe not THE first).

Oh I hope this is true.
Would make some sense....
Back to top Go down
dangerous beans
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:58 pm

@malevolent_one wrote:
@Grumpy Kwi wrote:

I really want to know what happened to Phil through all this, is this how he envisioned his codex to end up? He knew about all these changes? I dunno about that.

I think honestly, if any of the FAQs were handled by the ACTUAL writers of the Codex in question it would make everything "on par" rather then "WTF are you serious". Believe me, I won't hate on GW but these FAQs always make me face palm.
I agree with the guys on the podcast The Codex Project, GW probably just make the newest interns do it who have no idea what the original Codex writers had in mind for the respective army.

@Barking Agatha wrote:

Oh I hope this is true.
Would make some sense....

The version number does indeed change - they do edit the FAQs and erratas from time to time (see the 8th ed. fantasy FAQs). I sadly think that the FAQs are initially written by the main author of the BRBs, which in this case was... Mat Ward... (who might as well be Matt 'Damon' Ward) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUa5oHgYV2k

malevolent_one
Slave

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:19 pm

@dangerous beans wrote:

The version number does indeed change - they do edit the FAQs and erratas from time to time (see the 8th ed. fantasy FAQs).

Ah yes!
I completely forgot about that.

@dangerous beans wrote:
I sadly think that the FAQs are initially written by the main author of the BRBs, which in this case was... Mat Ward... (who might as well be Matt 'Damon' Ward) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUa5oHgYV2k

That makes sense and why Necrons are super-buffed.
It does stink of Ward a bit much...

My biggest gripe with the FAQs is the general feeling of laziness I get from them.
Or more of a generalist view. Maybe its just me.
Back to top Go down
Captain Mayhem
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:19 am

no it does seem like they're quite sloppy

anyone else notice the dates on the FAQ's? yeah. they were sitting there for fifteen days and it seems that no one really bothered to look at them.

In all my life i've never seen anything run so shoddy. were the people who wrote these FAQ's smoking some good crack or something?

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:36 am

@Captain Mayhem wrote:

anyone else notice the dates on the FAQ's? yeah. they were sitting there for fifteen days and it seems that no one really bothered to look at them.

In all my life i've never seen anything run so shoddy. were the people who wrote these FAQ's smoking some good crack or something?
No, I really think Matt Ward (or the rest of the twits that made the Sixth edition rules) is responsible for the initial release of the FAQs. The Necron FAQ is the most obvious culprit. Almost everything that would not work for Necrons in 6th has been fixed or even improved in their FAQ. And coincidentally, that codex is Matt Ward's latest abomination after the sixth rulebook. Of course, he'd fix them. The Dark Eldar FAQ on the other hand, is downright embarrassing.

Edited, please see my PM. Gob.
Back to top Go down
Ruke
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Think if we all sign a petition asking for Phil Kelly to write the FAQ for DE, they would make it happen? XD

Slave

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:17 pm

@Mandor wrote:
@Captain Mayhem wrote:

No, I really think Matt Ward (or the rest of the twits that made the Sixth edition rules) is responsible for the initial release of the FAQs. The Necron FAQ is the most obvious culprit. Almost everything that would not work for Necrons in 6th has been fixed or even improved in their FAQ. And coincidentally, that codex is Matt Ward's latest abomination after the sixth rulebook. Of course, he'd fix them. The Dark Eldar FAQ on the other hand, is downright embarrassing.

Which is really sad as the Dark Eldar Codex was Phil Kelly and Jes Goodwins "love" child (couldn't think of a better way to put it). You could tell they really wanted (and accomplished) to revitalize the army and give it its own character and make it something amazing. Then the Troll called Ward comes along and says "My Buck Rogers-esque Tomb Kings in space are better, dur"
Whoops sorry let it slip there for a second Laughing
It just blows my mind that they let them slip like this. All that work and all the years of collaboration just left out to dry.
You know if Kelly did the FAQ there would be some nerfs but not to this extent.

@Mandor wrote:
(or the rest of the 'tards that made the Sixth edition rules)
I don't think 6th is all that bad (in fact I think its ridiculously awesome) I just think they way they are handling the FAQs is what ruins it for everyone. All the Codex authors test played and helped with the developing of 6th so why can't they handle the FAQs themselves?

@Ruke wrote:
Think if we all sign a petition asking for Phil Kelly to write the FAQ for DE, they would make it happen? XD
Oh if only the Dark Gods would allow that.....

Anyways, even with this crappy FAQ I'm still going forward with starting my new Dark Eldar army.
I played them way back in 3rd Edition and not even this joke of a FAQ will stop me.

Last edited by malevolent_one on Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Captain Mayhem
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:22 am

Quote :
All the Codex authors test played and helped with the developing of 6th so why can't they handle the FAQs themselves?

because that would make sense.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:47 am

The 6th ed rulebook itself is actually relatively decent, but the faqs are all over the place...

Maybe we could petition for phil kelly to write the faq and matt ward to be summarily executed...?

PostSubject: Re: 6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)   

Back to top Go down

6th edition FAQ's now posted online - August 7, nothing to see (*false alarm*)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: News & Rumours
-
Jump to: