HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Dark Eldar are BROKEN.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie

PostSubject: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 16:15

Am I the only player to notice this. I have only one Raider which doesn't have snapped trophy poles, heads seem to fly off, spikes, rear rudders have shattered; I once just touched a Raider and something on the other side just snapped.

I use a Battlefoam with custom cut shapes for everything but all I can think of now is ultra padding and packing everything ridiculously tight. Who else has this problem?

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 16:19

You are not alone. I put a Raider on a shelf with a tiny bit too much force and one of the blades snapped off. They are very flimsy models, but if you can keep them intact they are worth having.
Having them on a shelf on display has guaranteed that mine don't break! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 16:36

I got tired of bits breaking off.... so I magnetised everything. Pain in the arse? yes. No more busted banner poles? yes.

Do I get made fun of putting all the poles on my vehicles and missles on my razorwing? Only till the RJF comes in from reserves.....

Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 16:44

The models represent the game accurately. Damnable spiky bits never seem to stay intact.

(11/5/2013: A few things have been added to the Kabal's fluff, most notably shifting their base of operations into the Webway, sort of, and adding an alliance with the Alpha Legion, or at least a few heads of the hydra.)
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 17:34

Good grief I thought you mean game-wise for a minute!
Haven't broken anything yet (he says, rtyping witkh crossd fingers) but haven't used them too much, when I do transport I actually just use storage boxes from Ikea, no foam. leave them on the stand and put them in a carrier bag so you can make sure they're not rolled around too much like they might be in a rucksack.
TBE

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 17:51

Mine rattle around on their magnetic stands (low ones) in a plastic tray in an IKEA bin. I will eventually get pull out foam for my vehicles, but that really adds up.

So far, I have lost the very tip of one rudder and the forward half of the lance on one of the passengers. I deliberately didn't put on trophy poles, ventral blades, etc., for this very reason, and I magnetised my sails and left all of my gunners removable. I think it was S'jet who further modified his rudders so that they just clip into the top and bottom of the hull mount, something that I am definitely going to do retroactively.

I have lost quite a few blades of the end of Kabalite rifles and the tip of a wing on my favourite Scourge (grrrrr!). Oh, and the separate hair pieces for wyches don't seem to want to stay on very long.

DE are indeed a pain in the arse, but they are still luv'ly and I am not going to go to extreme lengths to protect them.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 18:44

From what I have learned, in regards to my case, is that DE vehicles should always be stored upright. I think it's a mistake I made and would like to warn anyone else on doing the same.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 18:59

@Sky Serpent wrote:
From what I have learned, in regards to my case, is that DE vehicles should always be stored upright. I think it's a mistake I made and would like to warn anyone else on doing the same.
ALWAYS!!!

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 19:04

I transport my Raiders and Ravagers in a shoebox with lots of GW plastic bags inbetween them as padding. I keep them laid sideways, with their bases attached. Everything is stuffed as tight as possible, so nothing rattles around. In about a year or so, a small bit of one of the Raider underbelly blades has snapped in half.

In general, if it's some spiky bit that breaks off or snaps in half, I paint up the breaking place and leave it like that as battle damage/testament to the skills of my warriors, as a broken shard is enough to score a kill.

Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 19:58

I also learned yesterday not to keep my vehicles attached to their base. Over time the ball joint has got very very loose on some of them and one of the stems had snapped in half when getting it out of the case. Sad times.

Back to top Go down
CaptainBalroga
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 20:05

Preventative modeling measures go some ways. The hangers-on models and flags were mostly eschewed. I trimmed my Raider rudders at an attractive angle so their tips are above the bottom of the hull. They store flat in a tool tray with very little lateral wiggle room but with some vertical clearance, which means I can jostle my box a litle bit and the boats will neither be too pressured or have too far to fly up and hit the top. The 3E Raider and the Razorwings go in the bottom, because those things are friggin indestructible; it's odd that our flyer has much fewer protruding bits than the Imperium or Ork ones Smile In my old toolbox, my Ravagers actually took the most beating, losing a DL tip and a sail.

As for Warriors, when the 3E guys made the transition to 5E, there was much fleshsculpting and weaponsmithing to..."eliminate" any unnecessary..."elements" *evil genius cackle* Some of the more aggressive poses are now sporting slightly clipped rifles to fit in their foam tray. My Archon and big Haemy get to stretch out in double-wide slots. Not that it stopped the heat from melting my Archon's resin blade into some kind of sword-whip hybrid... Though I have been told it looks sweet!

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 20:05

I too decided to magnetize everything but only after suffering breakage already - now, my raiders and ravagers haven't broken anymore since but they are still in a sorry state of disrepair.

As for the ball joint on the raiders - that too was magnatized but that is just carry over from last edition raiders where I had successfully snapped all the bases into uselessness.

As for the models, they too are magnetized but I am finding that the simple act of plucking them off the carry case onto the playing board is simply destroying the fine-cast models. Just picking them up or moving them during a game will cause a weapon or a limb to just drop off from handling.

I can only imagine what a spikey fine-cast model would do in foam - if it is anything like the old plastic de warriors in foam did I am sure I would have a whole headless, armless army to sport during a game.

"is that it ?" ....
Back to top Go down
Enfernux
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 20:37

well...after my first few raiders and ravagers begun to...crack...i had a friend of mine make them containers and magnetised most of my army vehicles.
we are fragile...both in game and in models Sad Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/enfer.nux?ref=tn_tnmn
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 20:42

@Sky Serpent wrote:

In this is why my friends I invested in a display case from Tablewar. Nothing breaks anymore and I look waaay more cooler. Check out my explanaition on page 3 of this thread (got pictures and everything): http://www.thedarkcity.net/t695p40-transporting-your-dark-eldar

Nomic
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Fri Jun 15 2012, 21:23

I've had some bottem spikes come off, and one of my raider and both ravagers have had the bar the tip of the sail rest on break. I fixed them with green stuff. The most annoying problem I've had is one raider simply refuses to stay on its stand. I think I finally fixed it by drilling the hole bigger, then filling it with green stuff untill the tip of the stand fit really snugly.

Painbiro
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Sat Jun 16 2012, 00:48

I glued the bases of my first 2 Raiders on...

Never again...

Never again.

Dark Eldar? Grimdark? What a silly idea. The Adventures of I-XV7-DM
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t3020p20-the-adventures-of-i-xv7-dm

Back after hiatus. For Commorragh!
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Sat Jun 16 2012, 00:59

Glued the bases on everything. Magnetized the bases and now I transport them upright in a beautifull case. Couldn't be happier.

Eduboy94
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Sat Jun 16 2012, 17:31

How tall every DE vehicke is without base?

Resident Shadowseer
Resident Shadowseer

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Thu Jun 21 2012, 06:24

My models routinely fall apart. All these sleek thin parts have their down sides it seems

Back to top Go down
http://irollboxcars.blogspot.com/
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Thu Jun 21 2012, 08:26

@Torpedo Vegas wrote:
My models routinely fall apart. All these sleek thin parts have their down sides it seems

Huh? I never had that?! Shocked

What parts are you exactly talking about here?

Torpedo Vegas
Resident Shadowseer
Resident Shadowseer

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Thu Jun 21 2012, 08:34

@tlronin wrote:
@Torpedo Vegas wrote:

Huh? I never had that?! Shocked

What parts are you exactly talking about here?
Wyches mainly. I have them mounted on resin bases, with only their tiny elf feet serving as the point of contact.

Back to top Go down
http://irollboxcars.blogspot.com/
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar are BROKEN.   Thu Jun 21 2012, 08:35

Ah ok, I'm with you on that one (got Wyches on nice resin bases too). Especially when I magnetized the bases so I could carry them upright in my Tablewar display case.

I had to carefully pin all the little feet dude....

Dark Eldar are BROKEN.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: