HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

How Long have you been playing 40K?
i started back in the Rogue Trader days (1987)
11%
 11% [ 8 ]
I started with Second Edition (1993)
16%
 16% [ 12 ]
I Started with Third Edition (1998)
26%
 26% [ 19 ]
I Started with Fourth Edition (2004)
7%
 7% [ 5 ]
I Started with Fifth Edition (2008)
8%
 8% [ 6 ]
i've been playing less than 3 years
4%
 4% [ 3 ]
I Started the last couple of Years
11%
 11% [ 8 ]
Been Playing Less than a year
17%
 17% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 74

AuthorMessage
lonewolf
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Tue Apr 24 2012, 12:10

You always hear about how Dark Eldar are a Veterans army so i was wondering how many Veterans we have here

These are a few of my favourite things.
Back to top Go down
mot666
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Tue Apr 24 2012, 13:41

WOO tha HOO... .20% of the vote count!

eldar were devoid of transport in 2nd, so id foot slog while psychic slamming anythinig that dared show its face, then emerge from the foliage with SCORPIONS and stuff. hit em hard and all at once. i stuggled with nids to start at my recent return to the field, such open tables these days. such a different army.

i like my all out or all die rush, my nids mostly die so i often wait them to come to me, being so outmanouvered. the SLAM... it makes me nostalgic. now we have transport. now we dark eldar in HTH by turn 2 (buttsault to the new schooler) much more like the old days, except evil. and in boats!

I am the Master of Darkness, and of the Abyss... I am The Ancient One. Dont make me turn you into a lap dog. I've done it several times before and I wont hesitate to do it again. Seriously! Ironic isnt it? Being accused of necromancy, with a joke inspired by The 'Necronomicon' in my sig?
my project log:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t2874-the-kabal-raining-bullets
now with csm:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t6430-chaos-space-marines
PM me about commision work.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Tue Apr 24 2012, 16:02

I started in 2nd, but I played with my dad at such a young age I really dont remember much, plus I didnt know the rules at all and just love moving awesome models around Very Happy

I really started playing in 3rd, with my first army being Nids. I had some old RT ones, as well as some Zoats (that I used as warriors) so on and so forth. I was always fasinated by DE when they came out finally, but I was young and spent my money on constantly improving and getting the updated models for my nids (after all I always wanted something new for my bugs)

After hitting High School and having more money due to my summer jobs and side jobs, I started picking up DE slowly but surely. Most of my money went to either social events, or keeping up my MtG Decks or Nids for tournaments. So it was slow going. Then around the middle of 4th I had a car accident and lost almost all of my Competitive Nid army. From then on I decided since I was going to have to buy most of my stuff all over again, I would do DE. I havent looked back since.

Currently I am rocking a ton of DE, and a few nids still hanging around (probably enough to do a decent 2k list). I have also started Raven Guard last year, and am currently building up a decent size guard army out of steel legion models (its slow working, but Im going to make them look awesome). Other than that I recently got into fantasy (2 years ago) and currently have a Bretonnia army (probably around 3k), and am slowly converting a Chaos Dwarf army, and am working on a Pro-Painted Wood Elves army (ofc I dont paint well, so that has been SUPER SLOW... but someday... it will be done)

Lets just say Im a glutton for punishment with my armies. Running both DE pre-update and running Blue Book without Vulkan. Also in Fantasy running 2 of the 3 books that badly need an update because of their complete overcost of their entire selections. But hey, I love me a challenge Very Happy

Last edited by Shadows Revenge on Tue Apr 24 2012, 18:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Levitas
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Tue Apr 24 2012, 17:56

I've been playing since Rogue Trader, started when I was 11!

I think most gamers toy with a lot of the armies available, I know I did.

Dark Eldar are a veterans army due to their unforgiving nature on the boards. Plus it helps to have an inside knowledge of how other armies tick.

Dark Eldar 2k, Space Wolves 3k, Raven Guard 3k
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Tue Apr 24 2012, 18:29

I had to put the last couple of years, but they are really my first serious army.
I was always fascinated with the Dark Eldar, and from the moment I learn of their existence I was quickly sucked into their dark world.
It was irritating, however, as I loved the old models and was intending on starting an army, but after reading Lord of the Night I spent my money on Chaos Marines instead.

Back to top Go down
Raneth
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Tue Apr 24 2012, 20:56

3rd Ed vet, though been on a years-long hiatus. Oh how time flies...

Ruke
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Tue Apr 24 2012, 20:58

I started getting interested in 40K around 2009-2010, and started off wanting to build a 'nid army, because of their similarities to the Zerg (been playing RTS since I was 14 or 15, and board strat like Risk and Chess since before I can remember... 5 or 6...). However when I started buying 'nid models, they were only a few months away from getting a new codex, so I didn't put in a large investment, and with their 5th ed codex, I was so unhappy with how they changed their play style I just gave up on them (still don't agree that 'nids should have any special/named characters as it doesn't fit their fluff). The only other army that interested me at all was psychotic space elf pirates, so I waited... and waited... aaaand waited... until their rumored new codex came out. I'm extraordinarily happy with my decision too.

I did tinker around with Dark Angels, Eldar, and SoB for a campaign my friends were planning to do, but I just couldn't get into any of them... though if the battle broads get a new codex (outside of their WD one), I may look into snagging them...

Rumour Scourge

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Tue Apr 24 2012, 21:27

I started 40K slowly around the time 5th edition came out. My son had been given some LoTR for his 9th birthday in 2006 and after a while he wanted to check out what else was available. So we went to the local GW store and he took one look at the LoTR stuff on the left-hand side of the store, and then saw the Space Marines with big guns on the other side, and that was the end of LoTR for us.

We picked up battle for Macragge and played around with it at home, and I started to get the modelling and painting bug again that I had as a kid (eons ago). When 5th came out, we bought some more stuff and started our own armies, and finally started to play games against other people at the store and a local gaming club.

I always wanted to play DE from the beginning, they just really appealed to me with their style and fluff, but I detested the models. I started to slowly collect a few of the less hideous ones and play them about a year before the new codex and range appeared. Then I got into them completely.
Back to top Go down
V'rach
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Wed Apr 25 2012, 08:03

I started playing 40k in early summer 2011, at the time i had no idea how to play the game so the first model i bought was a Razorwing jetfighter because i thought it looked cool. I then bought things randomly with no plan whatsoever untill i had a decent sized DE army. Luckily i can now play 40k and the random army turned out to be ok. Essensially my first army was DE because of the model range, and im soooooo glad it was. I dont think DE are a veterans army as i am by no standards a veteran and yet i find them fairly easy to play.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Wed Apr 25 2012, 09:30

I played my first battle of 40k with a horrible guard list just over a year ago. I then studied the rulebook and chose dark eldar just under a year ago. They are my first and only army and i chose them because I loved the models, fluff, and the tactics. I collected horribly and began with fielding warriors on foot and doing other such things. I'm still recovering my army into a usable list after reading Thor's Tactica article. I manage to win quite often but that could be because I mostly fight people even worse than me. Ie, chaos without vehicles or plague marines...

Skari
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Wed Apr 25 2012, 13:35

Started with 3rd Ed. And have been at it ever since. I was 11 Very Happy.

And yes, DE are a vet army... they are hard to play and they are hard to paint and model.
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Wed Apr 25 2012, 15:40

Started out with Tau about two years ago. After catching myself on using my Crisis suits as assault units after shooting, I began to feel that maybe an army with more assault options would be better. That was the time when second wave of Dark Eldar came out - Scourges and Venoms, Talos and Haemonculi. Didn't look back since. Miserably lost my first games, then got the ropes of the army and am currently enjoying the panic of my IG playing friend, who is SO AFRAID of DE charging with anything at all after my first clean victory against him.

I enjoy glass shard army. Brittle, sure... but if they cut you, they cut hard.

Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Thu Apr 26 2012, 03:48

Old Dark Eldar were a veteran's army - the new stuff shifted that dynamic, but I expect it to return after another couple of years as they're already starting to become a bit on the uncommon side to see fielded.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Urien Rakarth
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Thu Apr 26 2012, 12:51

I was painting stuff and playing Space Crusade before 2nd Edition came out. That giant box of 2nd Ed was my first real foray into 40k proper so that's what I chose. I think I have a lot of stuff now but it's nothing compared to the boxes and boxes of stuff I had back in the day.
Back to top Go down
http://6inchmove.wordpress.com
Crisis_Vyper
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Thu Apr 26 2012, 14:42

Playing 40k since 2006 (though been buying miniatures since autumn 2005) with Tau as the first army I wielded. After forays into lots of armies, I managed to get the skills needed to paint, convert and play Dark Eldar which I always wanted to play as but am afraid that my skills are not up to par (until now).

To be honest I do not lose often with my Dark Eldar, but when I lose it tends to go towards my opponent having more guns than my forces (which takes a considerable effort at times).

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Thu Apr 26 2012, 14:59

@Thor665 wrote:
Old Dark Eldar were a veteran's army - the new stuff shifted that dynamic, but I expect it to return after another couple of years as they're already starting to become a bit on the uncommon side to see fielded.

Personally I think the problem was the codex right after them was a dead ringer for bandwagon jumping. Also DE arent really point and click like a few others out there (SW and BA razorspam, IG chimeraspam, GK... everything) Funny thing is I have seen more DE converts than I ever thought possible with this release, even after the disaster that is GKs.
Back to top Go down
Skari
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Thu Apr 26 2012, 16:22

DE will keep their charm and will live in infamy. Even tho they are not as popular as say GK's people always shudder when the DE are on the other side of the table.
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
Ruke
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Thu Apr 26 2012, 16:27

I think it also depends on how you run the army... Venomspam is kind of a no brainer, but I've been running a WWP list lately and ouch... much more difficult to play. Even so, it does take more skill than, say, GK or Necrons... But I think at this point in time, 'nids are a more veteran army than DE.

Hierarch of Tactica

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Thu Apr 26 2012, 16:40

personally I dont see venomspam as much of a point and click as people make it out to be. There are so many things that can go wrong with it. Sure redundancy is suppose to reduce the probability for that, but I find the darklight curse is a strong thing to overcome indeed. Plus dealing with fragile armor and high number of killpoints, while trying to bring your full effectiveness to bare is quite a challenge in its own right.

That being said I will admit that WWP is by far more difficult. Our version of Footdar imho. But seen it, done it has hit me towards WWP, and I feel that it just lacks in the versitility of venomspam.

Also its weird that the meta for us as an army is against the meta of the entire game. Our tanks are heavy AI, in a Mech world. An interesting diconomy that I feel fits DE

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Sami
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Thu Apr 26 2012, 16:49

40K since 2nd edition, DE since 5th.

Part of the army book's effectiveness is through fear - the sight of you having 6+ vehicles that all roll 12 dice when shooting often causes people to panic and make daft mistakes. Mathematically, Venoms are actually pretty bad compared to other options especially when dealing with large amounts of foot with 3+ or 2+ saves. Flickerfields and Nightshields (especially Nightshields) also panic people. However, good opponents will know what the book can actually do rather than looking at the wargear list and imagining an army that can take everything.

The DE book excels and ripping apart hybrid builds. It has slight issues dealing with extreme hoard, and very big issues when dealing with extreme mech, even if tailoring for it.

Venom: 12 shots, 8 hit, 4 wound, 1.6 marines dead. That's not particularly great Smile.
Ravager (dissies): 9 shots, 6 hit, 4 wound, 2-4 marines dead regardless of FnP (depends on 4+ cover).

Sadly they made you choose between the only anti-tank guns in the book and the heavy anti-infantry guns. If it were possible for disintegrator cannons to be taken on infantry you would see them a lot more. As it stands, sacrificing 36" AT isn't something we can get away with.

Saying that, I will be taking 1 dissie Ravager to a local tourney this weekend, but only because I know exactly what armies will be there. Don't know what I'll be drawn against, but against pretty much everything there it will have a use, and I'm not expecting anyone to go full mech.
Back to top Go down
lobos
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Fri May 04 2012, 10:06

I started to play in second ed toyed with nids then got caught up with eldar, after a few years I gave it up for other things, now after a ten year break I'm back and fell in love with DE straight away, they just have such have good mini's and such freedom to paint, no one telling me I've painted my smurf the wrong shade of blue.
Back to top Go down
Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Sat May 05 2012, 00:32

Started (40k, played Fantasy for a while beforehand) last March with DE, now decent with the army. Definitely takes some work to get good with them.

(11/5/2013: A few things have been added to the Kabal's fluff, most notably shifting their base of operations into the Webway, sort of, and adding an alliance with the Alpha Legion, or at least a few heads of the hydra.)
Back to top Go down
steev
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Sat May 05 2012, 03:17

My first games were Rogue Trader but it was not until 2nd ed that I realy got into 40K. I did not play 4th ed at all. Are the DE a veteran army? I don't think so. I think they are an army for people who want somethng more than the stock standard. Between the models, rules, and fluff there is a lot to like. But having said that I don't see many new players starting DE as there first army, it tends to be a choice people make for a second or third army.
Back to top Go down
Ruke
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Mon May 07 2012, 18:50

I would have snagged DE for my first army, but their codex was out of date, and 'Nids were hitting hard in fourth...

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?   Mon May 07 2012, 20:18

Played around with 40K late 2nd edition but did not really start with my own army until 3rd. I was much more into Fantasy then. Started playing DE first, love on first sight with me.
Back to top Go down

Are Dark Eldar a Veterans Army?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: