To be or not to be. Fluffy.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Crisis_Vyper
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: To be or not to be. Fluffy.   Sun Apr 15 2012, 12:44

Aroshamash wrote:
I'm very much for the fluff, but then again, I don't think fluffy should necessarily mean "deliberately gimp myself with no hope of winning". I like to stay true to the fluff, but I don't like losing.

I must say though, my favourite moment yet in 40k was part of a web-based campaign, similar to the Eye of Terror. This was back in my Night Lord days, and I had the pleasure of commanding most of the Night Lord players on our "side". Nothing in competetive playing will ever be able to match the indescribably feeling of giving the order to commit genocide on an entire continent. On one hand, you know it's just made up, and that it isn't real. On the other... there was a real sense of gravitas to the moment, that I'd just given the order to wipe out millions of innocent civilians. Competetive play will never even come close to matching that feeling... That is what I play 40k for, and I only hope I can be a part of similar campaigns in the future.

If this forum have a like status, I would already clicked on the like status for your post.

I love campaigns a lot, but these days not a lot of people are willing to sit through a campaign as more people are seeing this as a one-shot game.

PostSubject: Re: To be or not to be. Fluffy.   Sun Apr 15 2012, 14:04

Aroshamash wrote:
giving the order to commit genocide on an entire continent

...I just had to...Very Happy

Kesharq
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: To be or not to be. Fluffy.   Mon Apr 16 2012, 08:14

I always try to keep the theme of my Pirate-Kabal. So fluff is the way that I walk.

Nightmare Doll on the Loose

PostSubject: Re: To be or not to be. Fluffy.   Mon Apr 16 2012, 15:09

I'd be curious to find out what people think "fluffy" is, luckily, you as a player get to make that determination.

Does playing a special character make it fluffy?

Does skipping the Trueborn spam make a list fluffy?

Or does avoiding min/max squads make you fluffy?

I have seen "Coven" lists with wyches in them and I have seen "Cult" lists with Haemys in them so I am sure there is a lot of latitude in everyone's perception. Heck, I even see some remarks in that just choosing to play Dark Eldar is "fluffy" because they are not playing space marines (and I think I agree with them).

Meh, for me, if you have given a name to any of your HQ units (even if you are playing one of the special characters) then I would also say you are playing a "fluffy" list.

It's all good really, just glad you guys are playing the DE.

"is that it ?" ....
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: To be or not to be. Fluffy.   Mon Apr 16 2012, 16:58

^^^
I support and endorse that answer.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: To be or not to be. Fluffy.   Tue Apr 17 2012, 19:58

Fluffy. I am so fluffy that i am attempting, very slowly, to recreate every named DE charecter i have imagined, which is somewhere in the region of thirty. I base my squads off of squads I have written about, and refuse to use anything that i have not written about, so no Mandrakes or reavers... yet.

Back to top Go down
Grumpy Kwi
Nightmare Doll on the Loose

PostSubject: Re: To be or not to be. Fluffy.   Thu Apr 19 2012, 14:47

Cavash,

Have you written a narrative or any short stories? I crave to read DE background stories like a bat rep that has gone narrative - would love to see a sample of your writing.

I get the gist that your thirst for fluff would make your work fun to read. Just curious.

"is that it ?" ....
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: To be or not to be. Fluffy.   Thu Apr 19 2012, 17:36

@Grumpy Kwi:
In fact, just yesterday I posted a story, although it is not short.
The chapters are roughly Black Library length.
If you do read it, Grumpy Kwi, then feel free to leave feedback.

Here, enjoy.
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t2880-piercing-dark

Back to top Go down
Levitas
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: To be or not to be. Fluffy.   Thu Apr 19 2012, 18:27

Crisis_Vyper wrote:
Aroshamash wrote:
I'm very much for the fluff, but then again, I don't think fluffy should necessarily mean "deliberately gimp myself with no hope of winning". I like to stay true to the fluff, but I don't like losing.

I must say though, my favourite moment yet in 40k was part of a web-based campaign, similar to the Eye of Terror. This was back in my Night Lord days, and I had the pleasure of commanding most of the Night Lord players on our "side". Nothing in competetive playing will ever be able to match the indescribably feeling of giving the order to commit genocide on an entire continent. On one hand, you know it's just made up, and that it isn't real. On the other... there was a real sense of gravitas to the moment, that I'd just given the order to wipe out millions of innocent civilians. Competetive play will never even come close to matching that feeling... That is what I play 40k for, and I only hope I can be a part of similar campaigns in the future.

If this forum have a like status, I would already clicked on the like status for your post.

I love campaigns a lot, but these days not a lot of people are willing to sit through a campaign as more people are seeing this as a one-shot game.

I am neck deep in a campaign with my group that has been running for 7 months.

At the beginning we gave a few guidelines for list building that were not essential but encouraged. These included running units you wanted to test outside of the competitive circuit, themed lists, and limiting units outside of troops to two of the same.

We have four teams, one has been eliminated and my Xenos team 'The Cabal' is holding on. I'm one of two DE players in our 5 man team and we are facing a LOT of marines. I'm a fluffy player by default, but dont belive in gimping my army as a result. I pretty much name HQs and write fluff, as I enjoy that more than stomping face. But again my lists include units that I think do well, and excel at facing the marines in the campaign.

In short, Fluffy doesn't have to be weak and the definitions are vast. Plus campaigns are alive, and well!!

Heres my map (my team in purple)..

Dark Eldar 2k, Space Wolves 3k, Raven Guard 3k
Back to top Go down

To be or not to be. Fluffy.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: