Share | 

Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log

Go down 
AuthorMessage
warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Sun Mar 18 2012, 12:18

Hi all,

After taking a break of 3 years from 40k I decided to go back to the army I enjoyed playing most. My Dark Eldar.
I used to have a rather big army of those little sadistic buggers but sadly my ex girlfriend went daemon on them and they where all lost.

Ever since the new Dark Eldar came out I really like the models and vehicles and since i got plenty of time on my hands - had a major operation in the nether region- I got a few nice presents from my wife to keep me busy for the next few weeks.

• 2x Dark Eldar Battle force
  • 2x Dark Eldar Hellions
  • 1x Dark Eldar Incubi
  • 1x Dark Eldar Raider
  • 2x Dark Eldar Ravager
  • 1x Dark Eldar Venom

So the next problem I had was "what colour to use". I made several test models ranging from classic red (my old army colours) to the new standard green and even did a purple and blue variation of it.
Still the old Red/silver was itching so I finally decided to give the red/silver a more updated look.

Test models:

Purple/Gold version; I like this one. But it involves allot of washing and drybrushing and im not a star at drybrushing.

Red/Silver; although the details and helmet are not painted correctly, and the red is no where finished, This is the way to go

==========
Index:
Space reserved for index
==========

Yesterday evening i finally could sit up straight without to much pain, morphine really works! So started to work on my first unit of kabalite warriors:
I'm building 5 of them painting them and repeat the whole thing.
I'm keeping the bases pretty simple this time, just some rocks and sand with grass. As I want the focus to be on my models and not on the bases.

sorry no picture of undercoated models and i already been busy with the model at the far right.

Keeping the arms of the models gives me a chance to paint the chest pieces

Detail shot of my fist painted model (wip). As you can see the red still needs one more layer and an edge highlight but the colour is coming on nice and strong.
Also notice the barrel of the cannon totally missed that when undercoating.

Another detail shot of my fist model but with a 3rd (could be 4th) layer of red. In my opinion the red is good enough now.

Well that's it for this post now. I really would like to hear what you think of it!
So don't be shy and hit reply!
Back to top Go down
warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Sun Mar 18 2012, 12:24

small update:
==========

Female kabalite warrior

Male Sybarite, he should be female

Planning on finishing t
Back to top Go down
MrBrokenAzs
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Sun Mar 18 2012, 17:23

Welcome back to the Commoragh my friend! Pretty awesome paint job I must say!!
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Sun Mar 18 2012, 23:45

those are looking really good, couldn't see from the photos if you're going for a bright or dark silver?
Can't wait to see more!

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Mon Mar 19 2012, 00:40

Yet another update tonight:

Tonight I have been busy finishing my first 5 models. The armour took a lot longer then expected but it looks ace (if you ask me)

Group shot

Also i have been working on the flayed skin:

Detail shot of the flayed skin and warrior 1

Detail shot of the Sybarite

Yet another shot of the Sybarite

Warrior 3

Warrior 4

Warrior 5

==========
@ MrBrokenAzs : Thx alot
@ The_Burning_Eye: Im going for the natural steel triad from reaper so it will be a dark undertone with a light highlight

Well that's it for me for tonight
Back to top Go down
warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Thu Mar 22 2012, 23:33

Finally got around to finish painting the first 5 of a huge army.
I didn't do the bases yet since i still don't have a clue what to do with them.

I was planning on going for a simple silver look of the metal parts, but after painting them that way i discovered that it just looked to plain and it made them look to "nice".
Also i left out the line highlighting, not because im lazy but to give the armour a flatter and more soft appearance.

warrior1 finished

warrior1 finished other angle

warrior2 finished

Sybarite

the heavy weapon guy

heavy weapon guy other angle

warrior5

warrior5 other angle

group shot

Also got around constructing the next 5 warriors these will be standard. Note that i left the arms off again

Groupshot
Back to top Go down
warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Thu Mar 29 2012, 02:46

Finally after a good weeks painting the first squad of kabalite warriors is done!
here are some pictures for your enjoyment :

and some more

feedback is really much appreciated
Back to top Go down
Tarbanger
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Thu Mar 29 2012, 03:31

I think the work on the bases is very nice and the warriors are neatly done and well posed. Now for the crit, I like your color scheme but (and it could just be your camera) the red seems a little flat, maybe a more dramatic highlighting along the edges? My two slaves

~T
Back to top Go down
Ciirian
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Thu Mar 29 2012, 04:10

I really like your colors. The dark silverish helmets with the red armor looks awesome. Also love the way the helmetless guy looks with his fleshtones and hair. Looks awesome to me
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Thu Mar 29 2012, 12:42

There's some really good work there, the bases look fantastic, and the contrast between the red armour and the blue elements really makes them stand out.
If I had to pick areas to improve, I'd say that I agree with Tarbanger, a more dramatic edge highlight would help, and I'd like to see more made of the 'jewels' on the weapons.
Very impressed despite this however!

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
GAR
Dread Pirate

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Thu Mar 29 2012, 14:47

For some reason the second batch looks much better than the first did. I chalk it up to the lighting.

These do look most impressive though. If memory serves me correctly this is one of the original DE paint schemes from way back when, and it has been masterfully executed.

The bases also a spot on. They are well done, but do not diminish the model, they enhance it.

Bravo Sir!
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Fri Mar 30 2012, 23:34

After having completed a full squad of Kabalite warriors -who all went to be my test models instead of just one or 2 models i usually do- i got stung by the red virus. my main colour in my army.

I spend the majority of today setting up a planning of how im going to paint all the things i have. Ill be working from the top down Working trough the current models i currently have. So first up are my Archon his Incubi retinue and their venom transporter (of which a bit more later on).

Since i had freak box of incubi warriors. Only had 4 of them in a box with all accessoiries for a fifth but missing its body, i mailed GW customer service and got a nice finecast box to compensate the loss of my fifth model. How verry nice, THX GW!!
This gave me some roon to fiddle around with my Archon.

Since everyone is using the standard one i decided to build my own.
result:

model is complety WYSIWYG having a Phantasm Grenade launcher and an agonizer the left hand i just gave the flaming thingy for fun. Also i didnt really want to give him a cape. I noticed that all "high level" mini's in the GW range have capes, so mine doesnt have one!

This is a picture of the complete squad, metal meets finecast and i have to say it works perfectly together.

As i said the venom will be something special... here's a sneak peak of it

yes you guessed it right, the crew will be incubi instead of the standard wyches !

fluffwise it might be up for debate but since im a big fan of "hey i dont even trust my left hand in my right pocket" principle of the Dark Eldar it makes more then sence to me to let it be crewed by only his most trusted warriors.

well thats it for now, im off undercoating some incubi's

Last edited by warhammerpaintservice on Fri Mar 30 2012, 23:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Fri Mar 30 2012, 23:44

@Tarbanger : yup indeed is my camera, it sucks pretty had pixel wise but have such a sweet macro on it, thx for the slaves btw i just needed them Razz

@Ciirian: Thx alot!

@The_Burning_Eye: Thx alot! the gems and stuff i really made a conscious decision not to make a big fuzz out of them because i didnt want to make a too colourful mini.

@GAR: Indeed the lighting did alot. at fist i was just lazy and really needed the confirmation that it would work. and it did this is good since usually im a pretty stubborn painter. if i like it i like it.

Indeed it is and updated sheme from the 1st DE codex -and the colours of my old army- i went for a more "updated look" since the "old look" doesnt fit the new models, anyhow thank you for the compliment

The bases where my biggest problem, they always are... so thats why i first wnet for a standard base with sand and rocks but soon went for the urban paved base. and indeed it fits pretty well with the models so far
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Sat Mar 31 2012, 01:13

The current finished warriors are really nice and crisp, I love the great contrast of the blue glows on top of the crimson armor. I also really love the incubus Venom driver, and actually, it isn't that far off from fluff as you'd think. Almost all (if not all) crew of Yllithian's personal pleasure craft in Path of the Renegade were incubi. All it takes is a sufficiently paranoid archon, and incubi can start creeping up everywhere in the force!

warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Sat Mar 31 2012, 01:58

wow thx for the compliment Very Happy

Quote :
All it takes is a sufficiently paranoid archon, and incubi can start creeping up everywhere in the force!
hmmm sounds like mine !
Back to top Go down
Preacher
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Sat Mar 31 2012, 10:51

Looking great. Very Happy It's nice to see another red army so well done. You've updated the old Bloodied Claw scheme really nicely.

Your archon gives me ideas for my own Chief Executioner.

"It is said that it is far better to rule in hell, than to serve in heaven...
To rule in hell is only the begining..."

Lady No'ki Vankar, Kabal of the Poisoned Claw
Back to top Go down
warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Sat Mar 31 2012, 11:14

@preacher : thx i completly forgot the name of the bloody claw. (stupid me Razz:P:P)
i really dig your sig Razz
Back to top Go down
warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Mon Apr 02 2012, 00:35

Didn't do to much painting today since i was running sickbay. The whole family -including me- has a rather nasty flue.
but got some work done on my Archon. I really wanted to concentrate on my blue. so i got painting and this is the result:

Also went for his agonizer in the same colour, making it a nice triangle of spot colours

I wasn't to happy with the cloth, the purple was to "unnatural" and didn't fit in the scheme so i went for brown, since brown is my base colour (deepest recesses of red) i think it really does fit in.

let me know what you think of it......
Back to top Go down
warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Fri Apr 06 2012, 06:55

So i had a little insomnia today again and to combine the good with the bad i decided to build me some nice custom haemonculi.

Since i dont like the new one from GW i had to make some myself since GW decided not to keep the old two in their collection. You remember them the cone heads……
Man i loved these models.

But anyhow, back to the topic.
I really wanted to do something different then the ” easy way” out using wrack legs or other legs, so i broke out the green stuff once more and started sculpting me some robes.

A sharp onlooker might find out that these models actually dont have any feet, and yes thats true. It are basically “torso’s on a stick” (not related to oscar halapenjo btw)

[Haemonculus 1]

For the arms i only had alot of spares from my raiders- and venom kits so i got a bit to happy with them.

Both have a liquefier gun which i made from a two left over Dark lances cutting them down and slapping them on a cut off arm part (ode to the old coneheads)
the drill-bits are pieces of spears found on the raider/venom kits with a sharpened point.

Ill be making a tutorial for this soonish so keep checking back and save a buck! since they are super simple to make
Back to top Go down
Preacher
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Fri Apr 06 2012, 22:06

I do enjoy seeing a good Haemonculus conversion, they're always so original. Nice call on the DL for the liquifer. Looking forward to seeing some paint on them.

"It is said that it is far better to rule in hell, than to serve in heaven...
To rule in hell is only the begining..."

Lady No'ki Vankar, Kabal of the Poisoned Claw
Back to top Go down
mot666
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Mon Apr 30 2012, 20:29

sound like tuff times man. its always nice when someone gives to the needy to help with the pain Wink

i was going to go for the less is more approach on mine too(because i rekon it looks awsome on the field), but that idea went straight to hell along with the idea of a 2000ish point army inspired by the new range. i got stuck right in. so did my wallet. Rolling Eyes almost wish id stuck with it, id have a lot more done.

thats some clean work(is it the morphine?) and the colours go off. looking forward to seeing more.

now to find some morphine...

I am the Master of Darkness, and of the Abyss... I am The Ancient One. Dont make me turn you into a lap dog. I've done it several times before and I wont hesitate to do it again. Seriously! Ironic isnt it? Being accused of necromancy, with a joke inspired by The 'Necronomicon' in my sig?
my project log:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t2874-the-kabal-raining-bullets
now with csm:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t6430-chaos-space-marines
PM me about commision work.
Back to top Go down
warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Mon Apr 30 2012, 23:27

Had some complications so spend the last few weeks in the hospital. beleive me dutch hospitals dont take kindly to wargamers! i wasnt even allowed to play a 750 pts game in my room :S

i just came home and cant wait to get some painting done !
but yeah morphine works like a charm! (oooooh colours) i hope to post some new pics soonish
Back to top Go down
mot666
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Wed May 02 2012, 06:58

ive spent time in hospitals before. no matter where or what sort man, they're so unkind, no empathy for the suffering.

I am the Master of Darkness, and of the Abyss... I am The Ancient One. Dont make me turn you into a lap dog. I've done it several times before and I wont hesitate to do it again. Seriously! Ironic isnt it? Being accused of necromancy, with a joke inspired by The 'Necronomicon' in my sig?
my project log:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t2874-the-kabal-raining-bullets
now with csm:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t6430-chaos-space-marines
PM me about commision work.
Back to top Go down
warhammerpaintservice
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   Sun May 13 2012, 19:04

ok so ive been neglecting this blog a bit to keep up with my own blog so here are a few updated pics on my army:

me and my family having a painting family session.
* wife paints her imperial guard
* son paints his orks
* daughter paints her eldar

one finished raider no markings yet but thanks to nico -from this forum - i got some nice idea's

razorwing and beastmaster WIP

Detail of a razorwing. Yes thats actually citadel woods foliage. giving it somewhat the impression of a swarm comming at a foe seemed a bit more appealing then a few birdies

5 of my wracks (also a WIP)

My new haemonculus, Yes when i get bored i build haemies

New Hexatrix for my new army list

Also new in my list: RAZORWING!!!
Nice piece about it found HERE

Work in progress on my Wyches (they are actually almost done now)

Well thats it.... you guys are now up to date Razz

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log   

Back to top Go down

Shattered Oath - Ongoing Dark Eldar Log
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-