Viridian Corsairs

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Viridian Corsairs    Sun Feb 05 2012, 18:23

Greetings!

After having played Craftworld Eldar years ago, I've been drawn back in by the new DE models. I'm modding much of my old force into a Corsair army and will be using DE rules.

My Craftworld used Iyanden rules and so was already on the brink of obliteration. After the seer council ruled to move into total isolation, the Autarch, Drago Galizur, resolved to go into exile and formed a pirate fleet, the Viridian Corsairs. No longer having access to the bonesingers, he relies more and more on Commorrite manufactured vehicles and equipment, stolen or bartered for.

Drago will use the rules for the Duke, and the army will be centered around deepstrike tactics.

So far I've assembled 2 Razorwings, 3 Raiders, a Ravager, 19 Trueborn, 4 Venoms, 20 Scourges, 30 Warriors, 10 Wyches, 3 Reavers, 5 Hellions, 6 Wracks, 2 Haemonculi, Drago, and the Baron. I also have converted my 2 Wave Serpents to use as Raiders. I still have 10 more Warriors and 5 more Hellions to assemble. I used Warmachine Cryx Satyxis Blood Witches for my Wyches. Some of the Warriors are converted Guardians and some are converted GW Wyches. Two of the Venoms are converted Vypers. The coven models are all Confrontation Alchemists of Dirz models with DE bits.

I've started painting, though I'm not very far along. Here are some pics!

(The User Formerly Known as Drago)
> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
http://vynettedantes.deviantart.com/
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Sun Feb 05 2012, 18:31

Those are killer transports you got there. I love the fuse between Eldar Falcon and DE bits, and I heartily support more corsair fleets appearing! Can't wait to see what else you have in store.

Skari
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Sun Feb 05 2012, 19:05

Love the look of these! fantastic, will be following very closely.
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Sun Feb 05 2012, 19:40

Love it. Great stuff!

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Mon Feb 06 2012, 08:37

Thanks guys!

Here are some shots of the other Wave Serpent conversion. I ran out of Dark Lances for them, so I used pieces of Disintegrators, Heat Lances, and Splinter Rifles to build more.

This one just has the first coat of green and penciled on symbols.

I'll spare you all shots of my regular Kabalites as I haven't done anything special to them. The regular kits are so cool, I haven't though of any way to improve them. I'll probably call them something different since my guys don't come from a Kabal. I want to call them Corsairs, but with the Forgeworld Corsairs having different rules I don't want to confuse opponents. But maybe that's not a big deal as everything will be clarified before each game, and relatively not that many people have those Forgeworld Corsairs. I thought about getting some, but I think the Guardians look better with Kabalite and Wych bits.

Here are some of my converted Guardians. I gave them DE Heads, spikes, and some Wych knives. I've converted 10 of them so far, and I have 10-20 more. Since I don't have enough transports as it is, I figure I should work on finishing up the models I have first. I had sprinkled a bunch of old DE bits onto them back when I first played Eldar, so this is only a further evolution for them.

Here are some of my Wyches, converted from Warmachine minis. I've used the GW Wych torsos and legs to make more Warriors. I think the regular DE Wyches look too much like slightly less awesome Kabalites in more dynamic poses and I wanted the Wyches to look more distinct and much more piratey. I suppose my Corsairs do a lot of dealing/stealing from Rouge Traders. My Wyches are called the Syrens of the Void. Their leader, Aethelflaed Galizur, is the wife of the Fleet Admiral. They were originally a Wych Cult in Commorragh but grew tired of the monotony and so took to space and hooked up with Drago's fleet.

And here is Aethelflaed. At the moment she is equipped to use Haemonculous rules with a Stinger pistol, but I may end up using her as a Hekatrix sometimes. I made the stinger pistol with a Dark Elf Corsair Crossbow and the tip from a Raider spear. I'm not sure how I feel about the skulls on her backpack. I may swap them out with two of the Hekatrix back fin thingies.

> Project Log <

Last edited by Drago Galizur on Mon Feb 06 2012, 13:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Mon Feb 06 2012, 09:05

Mmm...great job, you have taste.
Can you please share exact colors for hull and freehand work on it?
And metal colors on the prow.

Is this some Reaper colors?

Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Mon Feb 06 2012, 09:36

@Azdrubael wrote:
Mmm...great job, you have taste.
Can you please share exact colors for hull and freehand work on it?
And metal colors on the prow.

Is this some Reaper colors?

Thanks!

You're close! I used some Vallejo Game Colors, mainly because GW stopped making my favorite Citadel Color, Scaly Green. When I started on the first Wave Serpent I was using Scaly, but it's pretty old, so I picked up the Vallejo equivalent, Scurvy Green. I mix it with Citadel Rotting Flesh or Vallejo Dead Flesh for the highlights.

The red details are all Citadel colors, Red Gore with Blood Red highlights. I might have mixed in some watered down Chaos Black for shading.

The metal colors are all Citadel as well. For the gold colors, I start with Tin Bitz, then work on some layers of Shining Gold, then highlight with Burnished Gold. I find that Burnished Gold is very transparent and has to be put down in thin layers to keep the color even, so I always put down Tin Bitz first, even if hardly any of it will show. It covers black primer really well, usually in one coat.

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Mon Feb 06 2012, 13:16

Thanks a lot - this Scaly Green is really striking color.
I myself usning Insignia Blue from Valejo Model Air line, i guess il do freehands with same color as you are.

By the way - does this Viridia have any relation to Viridia sector from Emperor's Finest by Sandy Mitchel ? )

Last edited by Azdrubael on Mon Feb 06 2012, 13:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Mon Feb 06 2012, 13:22

Here is Drago.

Initially I had imagined something more like this concept art without the hat, hook and eye patch, but all of the models I could find with pirate coats just looked too human or had details that would be very difficult to mod.

After weeks of indecision about what models to use or what look to go for, I chose to draw my main inspiration from the concept drawing of Malus Darkblade. I love the Sea Dragon cloaks and that wing on his shoulder.

Of course my character would have Duke Sliscus' equipment as I'm using the Duke's rules. So I knew he'd have a blast pistol and two poison blades. I also wanted him to have red hair and the two back fins that the Incubi have. I still wanted him to look very piratey and go with the warmachine minis but also match the rest of the Dark Eldar range.

I scoured their catalog dozens of times, eventually realizing that I could use parts from female models as long as the chest I used was male. So I used the legs from this mini, which is of the same unit type as the Wyches. It has tons of belts, buttons, sashes, and even has piratish high heeled boots than feel sufficiently decadent without being too flamboyant.

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine?page=8

Then I modded a Dark Elf Corsair cloak onto a Kabalite chest and arms, added an extra venom blade, and since I was out of Sybarite/Hekatrix back fins, I clipped them off of the extra rails from one of my Venoms. The shoulder wing detail I clipped off of a tiny dragon that was perched on an old Confrontation mini. It needed a good bit of carving and reshaping to get the right look. I'm still not quite sure about the head but' it's the best fit from the Kabalite and Wych boxes. I wanted more hair, but all of the unhelmeted Corsair heads have so much hair that it covered the wing, which is a shame since I really like their earrings and face scuplts. I was tempted to use the head from the Wych Captain, but I just couldn't see him with horns and an eye patch. Plus the horns made it look a bit too busy with everything else that was going on. Maybe I need to look through the WFB HIgh Elf and Wood Elf ranges.

Also, here is one of my Venom converions, built from a Vyper with a DE canopy, an old support weapons platform, extra Venom rails, a sail and two rudder blades from a Raider, and a Reaver splinter cannon.

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Mon Feb 06 2012, 13:42

@Azdrubael wrote:
Thanks a lot - this Scaly Green is really striking color.
I myself usning Insignia Blue from Valejo Model Air line, i guess il do freehands with same color as you are.

By the way - does this Viridia have any relation to Viridia sector from Emperor's Finest by Sandy Mitchel ? )

No problem. ^_^ Yeah, I have no idea why GW dropped it. There are no other colors even similar.

Nope, it's just in reference to the greenish-blue color of the Dragon Cloaks Worn by Galizur and his Corsair Dragoons (Trueborn).

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Mon Feb 06 2012, 13:46

Really digging the Venom conversion. Great pirate-ish(?) feel to it.

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Mon Feb 06 2012, 15:04

Scaly green was a great colour, I think it was the darkest of a three part set with jade green and vile green. Needless to say, those three formed the basis of my original stab at CWE, and it's only 2 re-paints later that I've settled on a scheme for them when their range gets an update (really don't like the upright jetbikes!)

Great colour scheme you've come up with there though, think I'll be stealing the metallics, I hadn't finalised my plans for them before now, beyond that I knew I didn't really want to use much silver.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Mon Feb 06 2012, 15:48

Oh man! You're doing all the things I've been plotting on doing at least once or twice! Converting Guardians into Kabalites, using Syrens and Skarre for your Wych/Haemie needs and doing bang-up job of converting the Eldar vehicles into something more sinister... Simply amazing, keep on trucking!

And honestly? You can call your Kabalites Corsairs, won't really change much about them. My Kabalite warriors are gathered in Sentinel's Knives warband, while my Blasterborn have their own little Ashborne cult. You can really let your imagination go wild when it comes to Dark Eldar corsairs, and in my opinion, Eldar Corsairs as well. No pirate bands were ever uniform and the same, after all.

Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Sun Feb 12 2012, 10:31

Thanks guys!

@Siticus the Ancient wrote:
Oh man! You're doing all the things I've been plotting on doing at least once or twice! Converting Guardians into Kabalites, using Syrens and Skarre for your Wych/Haemie needs and doing bang-up job of converting the Eldar vehicles into something more sinister... Simply amazing, keep on trucking!

Right on!

Quote :
And honestly? You can call your Kabalites Corsairs, won't really change much about them. My Kabalite warriors are gathered in Sentinel's Knives warband, while my Blasterborn have their own little Ashborne cult. You can really let your imagination go wild when it comes to Dark Eldar corsairs, and in my opinion, Eldar Corsairs as well. No pirate bands were ever uniform and the same, after all.

Indeed! A very valid point. And I suppose if any opponent does object I can use the standard terms in that instance.

But barring any easily confused enemy commanders, my Kabalites will be Corsairs, my Kabalite Trueborn will be Corsair Dragoons, and my Wyches will be Syrens. Scourges and Hellions will keep the same names since they are already on the fringes of the hierarchy of Commorragh. In addition to useing Haemonculous rules for Aethelflaed, I have also built two other Haemonculi and several Wracks from Confrontation miniatures which closely resemble the traditional models and which will use Coven nomenclature. We're pirates and don't mind making friends with rouge covens who have no other ties.

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Mon Feb 13 2012, 14:54

This is a brilliant thread. The colors are vibrant, details are excellent and it just looks like a lot of fun to do.

We will watch this with great interest.
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Mon Feb 13 2012, 23:59

@GAR wrote:
This is a brilliant thread. The colors are vibrant, details are excellent and it just looks like a lot of fun to do.

We will watch this with great interest.

Cheers! And bravo on the Princess Bride reference. I must quote that movie at least once a day.

I've been playing with mixing in Camo Green as the highlight color rather than Rotting Flesh on the other Wave Serpent, and to my simultaneous delight and dismay it looks amazing. Delight for obvious reasons and dismay because I spent so much time on the other two vehicles using the other color. I don't have any pics I can upload at the moment as the internet is down at my apartment. I am loathe to do anything to my two finished transports, but it irks me that they won't match. My current plan is to paint a few more vehicles using Camo Green for the highlights, and then try another shade of green, perhaps Jade or Vile Green that The_Burning_Eye mentioned. I like things to match, but on the other hand subtle variations of green with Scaly as the universal base color could be quite dynamic. It certainly lends to the fluff that our vehicles are traded for or pirated from various sources. I'll be using the same metal scheme and red highlights, though I think the more blue of the green ones might need a touch of orange at the brightest spots to make it pop more.

Anyway, here are some pics I had already uploaded to Warseer of my Haemonculi, Wracks, and a few Dragoons.

Here are some of the conversions using plastic Dark Elf Corsair kits and Kabalite parts. These were the first I made. Since then I have made others with some plastic Wych parts as well.

I dug up some of my old metal Dark Elf Corsairs I bought and painted back when they first came out. I never bought any other units to complete the army, but now I'm glad I still have them. They were a b*tch to convert, because their weapons make quite a bit of contact with their cloaks and require significant amounts of Dremeling to remove. But since I already had them and since I'm fielding quite a few Dragoons it's nice to have some more variation. I have a handful of them, but I had only converted three when I took the picture.

And here are my two Hamonculi, converted using Confrontation miniatures, Kabalite, and Wych parts. I used an old Splinter cannon cut down with the clipped points from some straight pins to make a stinger pistol. One of my favorite things about the original minis which is kind of hard to see on one of them, but each of them has a mechanical scorpion tail grafted onto their spines.

And here are some of the Wracks in progress. They are Confrontation minis with Kabalite and Wych parts as well.

I'm not sure how I'm going to use them tactically, but the miniatures were too perfect not to use.

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Tue Feb 14 2012, 19:45

Awesome work on the vehicles especially. Also some neat conversions on the infantry models and a lot of creativity flowing around here.

Am I right that this excellent paintjob on your raiders / serpents was achieved with a paintbrush only? If so you're very good at creating smooth transitions - you wet blend probably?

If not: another good use for the airbrush, but honestly some little brush marks tell me it's all brush work... How long does it take you to finish one tank?
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Wed Feb 15 2012, 01:09

@Dogmar wrote:
Awesome work on the vehicles especially. Also some neat conversions on the infantry models and a lot of creativity flowing around here.

Am I right that this excellent paintjob on your raiders / serpents was achieved with a paintbrush only? If so you're very good at creating smooth transitions - you wet blend probably?

If not: another good use for the airbrush, but honestly some little brush marks tell me it's all brush work... How long does it take you to finish one tank?

Thanks! Yeah, it's all wet blended with a paintbrush. I'd say it takes me a couple of hours a day for about a week. Those days aren't usually consecutive, so I might be working on one for a month, but the days add up to a week. I like to work, for a few hours and then look it over to see how I feel about it, tweaking it here and there over a period of days. The first Serpent took maybe twice as long than the second one is, partly due to the experience I got from doing the first, but also because I bought a new brush. It's a Privateer Press Large Flat Brush and it puts the paint down so much smoother. I painted the two ships you see with a cheapo flat brush from Wal-Mart. It did the job but I had to go back over every transition to smooth it out, put the shadows back in and even out the strokes. It took forever. I did in two days what it took me a week to do on the first.

When my Internet comes back, I'll upload pics of what the two serpents used to look like when they were part of my Eldar force years ago. I had just started to do freehand designs on them, but the bodies were mostly black. Most of my mini painting experience grew from painting Confrontation minis in my early college days, while my Eldar force was painted when I was in highschool prior to 2002.

You can see some of my Confrontation stuff on my DeviantArt page: http://vladislausdantes.deviantart.com/?tab=gallery&id=826936&offset=0

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
Malverian Drakkarth
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Wed Feb 15 2012, 22:48

Excellent stuff, and a great pirate feel to the army. That Raider is looking particularly sweet Cool
Back to top Go down
Nico
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Thu Feb 16 2012, 22:31

Nice work!
I'm in love with the raider!

Grts
Nico

Court of Cruelty

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Fri Feb 17 2012, 09:32

I really like how you converted the raider, and the colour scheme. Will be interesting to see how the infantry will look painted.

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Sun Feb 19 2012, 13:38

Thanks guys! All of this feedback has been an excellent motivator.

And I've figured out a way to post pics to the forum from my phone. I just have to upload them to Facebook first and then copy the links. Rather time consuming as my phone is very slow, but at least I don't have to wait till the Internet comes back before I can share what I've been working on.

Here's the second Serpent's new highlight color next to the first one.

And here it is mostlyl finished. Still have some highlights to add to the metal.

> Project Log <

Last edited by Drago Galizur on Sun Feb 19 2012, 14:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Sun Feb 19 2012, 13:57

I've redone Drago's head. Found one with earrings and a better fringe and gave it a flowy top knot from an old DE model. Also you can see the lower body much better.

I put some basic colors on the Haemonculi.

Here are some more Wracks converted from Confrontation minis, also with basic colors.

> Project Log <
Back to top Go down
Vael Galizur
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Mon Feb 20 2012, 21:21

I put together a wet pallet using a sponge, oven parchment paper and a plastic food container and while it did keep my paint from drying out, I had a bunch of problems with it. The following will really only be useful to people who haven't put one together yet. I know that they can be easy to make and use given the right materials, so if you've manage to make one that works for you, keep on being awesome. lol

The paper kept curling up which would cause part of it to dry out and then curl up even more. Might've just been the brand of paper, but wrestling with it was quite a hassle. Another problem I had was that because of the size and shape of the food container it had to contain quite a bit of water to have a sufficient amount to keep the paper wet. It became really heavy and very easy to spill. A more rectangular box, or a sponge with rounded corners would have been better, but the options at the grocery store were very limited. Ideally you would want the sponge to fill as much of the box as possible. Another problem was that all of the sponges they had were either really dark colors or were neon yellow and had the scrubby pad on one side. I went with the yellow kind, and while the scrubby part didn't keep the sponge from holding water, it makes it thicker and require ever more water in the container. And even though it was less colorful than the other choices, it was still bright enough and the paper transparent enough that is really messed up my ability to mix the colors properly.

I could scrounge around and find a thinner and less colorful sponge, a box that fits it perfectly, and less curly and see through paper, BUT I happen to frequent an art store very near my house, Utrecht, and they carry a top of the line Masterson stay-wet pallet for $9.99. They also have a discount for students and sell refill packs of the paper for a few dollars.

This thing was worth every penny and if you have easy access to a store that carries them, I highly recommend picking one up. The paper is very thick, durable, much more opaque than oven paper, and also stays more damp. The sponge is a very pale color which doesn't show through the paper at all. It is also very thin and doesn't need much water, so even if I flipped it over only a bit of water would trickle out. The sponge has smaller pores than a kitchen sponge, which combined with the much thicker paper, provides a much more flat and even surface for mixing on. It weighs a fraction of the home made version and dimensionally, it is a much better size for me as it is less than half as thick and has twice as much surface area. It might be a bit bigger than some of you need at . If it is much too wide, you could turn the lid sideways and set it over half of the pallet and set your paint jars on it to save some desk space.

> Project Log <

Last edited by Drago Galizur on Sat Mar 31 2012, 22:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    Tue Feb 21 2012, 00:29

The Masterson palette looks like a pretty awesome deal for $10! My homemade version has worked really well (I'll keep on being awesome Laughing ), but if I had known about the Masterson for $10 I would have gone that route for sure. I put down coins or washers on the ends of the parchment paper to keep it from curling up. One day, and it stays flat. That said, I might look into picking one of those up.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Viridian Corsairs    

Back to top Go down

Viridian Corsairs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs