Share | 

The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Malverian Drakkarth
Hellion

PostSubject: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Fri Jan 06 2012, 18:54

So I recently joined the forum at last and posted up my background fluff to my Kabal to kick things off -

(linky)
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t2114-the-fall-and-rise-of-archon-malverian-drakkarth-the-kabal-of-the-sabres-of-paradise

To be honest, it's more than a little meaty and I don't expect anyone to have the staying power to get to the end Laughing As mentioned in the thread, the story is partly a justification for how I want my actual army to look, and I'm almost at the end of finishing my first batch of Wyches. Unfortunately, my painting speed can at best be described as "Neolithic" or "glacial", so progress on this log will be slow, but here's a selection of what I've done so far. I also seldom get access to a decent camera so the close-to-finished pics are the best I have.

Anyway, hope you like them and keen to get some feedback if you like/don't like what you see.

(Grunts)

(Hekatrix and Specials)

(Basic colour scheme test, with a dodgy iPhone)

Back to top Go down
Malverian Drakkarth
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Fri Jan 06 2012, 18:59

Better pics with a better camera.

(First 3 finished with bases to go)

(Next 3 almost done)

Since the pics were done they're not all that far off being done. To save me with burn out or frustration I'm splitting the squads into 5-6 models at a time and planning on mixing up what I paint each time. Hopefully it will keep things fresh, but also keep the motivation going to actually finish the units.

Next up is probably a Pain Engine. More to come Smile
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Fri Jan 06 2012, 19:37

Gorgeous stuff! I'm not a fluff guy, but whatever reason that you've come up with to combine Wyches, Daemonettes, and beautifully blended paint jobs is groovy with me!

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Devilish
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Fri Jan 06 2012, 19:50

Wonderful models! I like how you've captured their movement, leaping and charging.
Back to top Go down
Malverian Drakkarth
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Fri Jan 06 2012, 22:46

Cheers fellas. I'm pretty chuffed with the way they've come out, particularly after years of painting power armour. After Orks, I think the DE range offers some of the best variation for kit-bashing and conversions.... and I have lots of other ideas (some of them borrowed Wink ) for all the other stuff.

For the Wyches especially, you can't not try and mimic their graceful violence, but my green-stuffing skills are pretty basic so not quite sure how I will pull off the Warriors. I'm really looking forward to doing my Bloodbrides Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Skari
Wych

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Sat Jan 07 2012, 01:43

Surprised Very nice.
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
bloodofthefallen
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Sat Jan 07 2012, 09:49

Some of the best i have seen the colours really complement each other. Can not wait to see more.
Back to top Go down
kenny3760
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Sat Jan 07 2012, 10:50

Looking really good. I like the finished models a lot. The use of daemonette parts is well executed and they blend in very well.
Back to top Go down
Ythillan
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Sat Jan 07 2012, 23:52

Really nice models there mate. I like to see some Slaanesh dark eldar-ness, I believe the parts fit well and its a cool theme. I have long considered a Slaanesh theme for mine, based on a Crone world.

Nice smooth paint job too, what does the rest of your force comprise of?
Back to top Go down
Malverian Drakkarth
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Sun Jan 08 2012, 00:30

@Ythillan wrote:
Really nice models there mate. I like to see some Slaanesh dark eldar-ness, I believe the parts fit well and its a cool theme. I have long considered a Slaanesh theme for mine, based on a Crone world.

Nice smooth paint job too, what does the rest of your force comprise of?

Thanks mate; I appreciate the comments. Always wanted to do a DE/Slaanesh mix just because they fit so well. Not everyone at my local club agreed however, hence me writing some justification for it in advance.

As for the force, I'm just really painting stuff that looks fun and which offers some good conversion possibilities. These guys won't be finished for a while so i figured I'll slowly put it together and wait for 6th Ed to come out before formalising a list. Builds might change according to whatever new mechanics they put in place anyway.

I do want to run a single/double Webway list however, moreso because it's not an ultra-competitive option out of the book (and therefore more challenging some might argue), and also because I've got a pretty good idea for a Webway conversion that I haven't seen done yet. Units that will almost definitely figure in the build are two squads of Wyches, squad of Hellions, Talos, Trueborn with Archon (because of my fluff), single/double Haemonculus and a Beastmaster pack. I'll obviously add to that, and eventually I'll also have enough units finished to run a "usual" Raider and/or Venom set of options.

Fun times ahead Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Ythillan
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Sun Jan 08 2012, 01:43

Yeah when you make Slaanesh dark eldar it often tends to cause a bit of 'debate'. I am in the camp of 'its a big universe, anything can happen' aswell as the fact that there is or certainly was such a thing as chaos eldar on crone worlds!

Have you thought about using keeper's of secrets a talos? Fiends in a beast pack? It had all crossed my mind.
Back to top Go down
Malverian Drakkarth
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Sun Jan 08 2012, 02:13

@Ythillan wrote:
Yeah when you make Slaanesh dark eldar it often tends to cause a bit of 'debate'. I am in the camp of 'its a big universe, anything can happen' aswell as the fact that there is or certainly was such a thing as chaos eldar on crone worlds!

Have you thought about using keeper's of secrets a talos? Fiends in a beast pack? It had all crossed my mind.

I think the issue that some have is that Slaanesh is the ultimate enemy, so creating a Kabal that is semi in league with She Who Thirsts doesn't really fit. I tried to use my limited intellect to blag a suitable reason in my fluff... it's a bit like "Marmite". You either love it or hate it Laughing

I'm trying to include some obvious but understated Slaaneshy parts but I want to keep the main visual as very obviously Dark Eldar. It's also partly geared to what I can actually do conversion-wise, seeing as I can paint better than I can scratch build. The Keeper of Secrets and Fiends will end up donating some parts definitely - Seekers possibly as well but they're a bit more tricky. It's fun trying to work it all out...
Back to top Go down
Malverian Drakkarth
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Wed Feb 08 2012, 00:00

Quick update for you all. Managed to finish the first batch of Wyches; they're finally all done. Bizarrely decided to take the pics from slightly further back this time but at least not too far away. New unit already on the working slab with hopefully more pics to follow soon.

Enjoy, and comments and criticism welcome as usual.

Hekatrix and Hydra Gauntlets

Back to top Go down
Malverian Drakkarth
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Wed Feb 08 2012, 00:01

Grunt and Shardnet/Impalers

Back to top Go down
Malverian Drakkarth
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Wed Feb 08 2012, 00:02

Group Shot

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Wed Feb 08 2012, 01:01

Gorgeous stuff. the blending on the red is AWESOME. Can't wait for more!

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Wed Feb 08 2012, 01:10

These look awesome, very striking!
Back to top Go down
Malverian Drakkarth
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Fri Nov 30 2012, 14:47

Ok, so not quite an entire year since I last posted here Rolling Eyes

I sadly got side-tracked with adding to my Blood Angels, and then a mild seduction by the new Chaos book, as well as far too much real life getting in the way of my hobby, but I've decided to make an early New Year's resolution and get back to doing the DE army I always wanted to do.

List-wise, I'm not being too focused at the moment as first impressions of 6th Ed for the dark pointy ears is that we seem a little bit more fragile than before, and the whole not being able to assault from Reserve (is that my Webway list idea gone then?) is taking some getting used to. So, I'm just going to concentrate on a decent core of units and whatever else looks good for conversion and painting ops.

First up will be my Archon, Mr Drakkarth himself, plus a couple of extra Wyches from the original squad I started way back. In keeping with the whole allied/cursed Slaaneshy theme, I thought Sigvald would make a good base model. I'm sure something like this has been done before but I think he's looking suitably arrogant with his lethal swagger Smile

Magnetised the CC arm to swap between Agoniser and Husk Blade as needed. Can't see the value in considering a 6" Blast Pistol for ranged though, so he'll stick with the Splinter Pistol -

Post-cutting and filing WIPS -

He's looking a little wobby, but only because he isn't glued down yet, and hence why he has a lazy head!

The extra Wyches I'll be painting at the same time -

Just finishing off the last green-stuffing for the hair draping over the top of the PGL, then undercoating this weekend. More to follow soon I hope...
Back to top Go down
KnightSeerValkia
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Sun Dec 02 2012, 18:25

Oh the hell did I miss this update! o.o

Sweet mother of....LOVE IT! <3

Sigvald the Archon is perfection, truly you have an Archon who leaks arrogance and beauty of the new Archon better then the stock model, yet have a flair and updated the giant shoulder pads of the old Archon and make those giant pads work =]

Your Daemonwyches/Wynettes are seriously stunning, some serious character in those girls and can't wait to see more from you.

And when the pistol goes off it sparks and you're ready for surgery..Surgery~

@Cavash wrote:
I wouldn't send anybody to kill you, I'm not that sort of DEldar... if I wanted you dead I'd do it myself! Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
Chaeril
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Sun Dec 02 2012, 19:30

@Malverian Drakkarth wrote:
Cheers fellas. I'm pretty chuffed with the way they've come out, particularly after years of painting power armour. After Orks, I think the DE range offers some of the best variation for kit-bashing and conversions.... and I have lots of other ideas (some of them borrowed Wink ) for all the other stuff.

Don't forget IG for conversions!

Your models are great!

Back to top Go down
ravengoescaw
Heamonculi

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Sun Dec 02 2012, 20:11

I love the idea, was wondering if my kabal provided any of the basis.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12640-band-of-the-unbending-thorn#142250

Still fighting the world and saving damsels in distress. ~Raven
Back to top Go down
Malverian Drakkarth
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Sun Dec 02 2012, 20:52

Thanks for the positives chaps.

@KSV - Thank you matey. I think the Sigvald choice came out pretty good in the end, although I do ever so occasionally think that he looks like the Dark Eldar equivalent of Hilary Devey from Dragon's Den if you've ever seen the show? Those pads are pretty big.

@Chaeril - I always forget a couple and you're right, IG are a great army to chop up and change.

@Raven - I've always been a firm believer that fellow hobbyists are a great source of inspiration no matter what standard they operate at (and I'm never that precious about my own stuff). Hence I do trawl the web quite a bit for images and original hobby examples to spur the imagination. Chances are I've come across stuff you've done, but apologies if I don't remember the name as I've only just come back to the Dark City.

Here's a quick update pic, although not of a great deal that's discernable. Original Wyches are now close up so you can see them better, and the Archon is pretty much done on the green-stuffing.

I had to chop up Sigvald's hair (and head) to accomodate the DE helm, and then gs'd what was left of Sigvald's to look like it was flowing out from underneath the back of the helmet. Also, because of the placement of the shoulder blades, I've modelled a little of the hair flowing around the front left at the bottom (not very clear here), but once he's painted I'll do better pics. Individual strands are also flowing over the top the of the PGL base and down the side. Just got to fill the gap for the Splinter arm and then the top part of the model will be undercoated ready for painting.

Rest of him was done today along with the additional Wyches. Paint going on tonight.

Back to top Go down
ravengoescaw
Heamonculi

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Mon Dec 03 2012, 00:50

I am just asking for my personal pride. The Coterie of The Split Cup. I haven't started posting my pics yet but I did a fluff work up on the coterie,

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12640-band-of-the-unbending-thorn#142250

Still fighting the world and saving damsels in distress. ~Raven
Back to top Go down
Malverian Drakkarth
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Thu Dec 13 2012, 16:19

Slow progress is better than no progress, but at the very least I'm really enjoying painting something different.

Got the bases done on the Archon and his 2 Wyches, and the flesh is now complete on the assembled/standard leg sections. 7 stages for the flesh but I've started to get a decent knack of doing it fairly quickly, and pretty pleased with the results. The light is pretty ar$e to see it clearly, but they're at least coming along. Next up is the purple sashes/Wych suit.

More to follow...
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   Thu Dec 13 2012, 17:10

Very spiffy indeed. Great to see you back at it again Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise   

Back to top Go down

The Kabal of the Sabres of Paradise
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs