Share | 

New dark eldar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Aurora Doomfall
Hellion

PostSubject: New dark eldar   Thu Dec 08 2011, 22:31

Is anyone else disappointed with the new DE models? I find that they have lost the style and flair they used to have.
Back to top Go down
notts
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Thu Dec 08 2011, 22:38

I find every single new model vastly superior to the old, apart frpm the talos.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Thu Dec 08 2011, 23:32

In technical sense (ie more dynamic poses, more detailed sculpts) I totally agree there is progress.

I miss old Raiders/Ravagers tho, they looked like fast boarding platforms

not Mom's Minivan.
Back to top Go down
notts
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Thu Dec 08 2011, 23:39

The old models look like spiky clunky pieces of c***.

The new models look sleek and deadly
Back to top Go down
Archeonlotet
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 00:04

The new Dark Eldar models converted me from a WHFB player to a 40k player. I didn't have much interest in the Grimdark future (of which there is only war) until I saw the shiny new DE line.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 00:22

@Aurora Doomfall wrote:
Is anyone else disappointed with the new DE models? I find that they have lost the style and flair they used to have.
Put me down for disagreeing with this 100%. I've played DE for 12 years, and can't wait to get rid of my old Gary Morley sculpted stuff. It was cool for the time, but coming off of what models looked like in 2nd edition anything would have looked cool.

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log

Last edited by Evil Space Elves on Fri Dec 09 2011, 18:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 00:47

Not in the least bit do I find the new models worse than the old ones. The only think I disslike is the finecast coven stuff; something I have worked around. Love the new range.

Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 03:48

@Archeonlotet wrote:
The new Dark Eldar models converted me from a WHFB player to a 40k player. I didn't have much interest in the Grimdark future (of which there is only war) until I saw the shiny new DE line.
Same with me.
Back to top Go down
Aurora Doomfall
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 04:39

Realy, im shocked you all disagree so much, to me the old models are the only true dark eldar, i mean, ill buy the new ones and i think their well done but they just have a vanilla real to them, like they were SM of somthing.

I found that the problem with the old models was that they were all out of proportion but the heads were great, so i put old heads on the new bodies and it turned out pretty well
Back to top Go down
hellios
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 04:45

The Coven models give me mixed feelings... They are ok but could have been better and wracks should have been plastic XD and I think I would have preferred it if they kept the talos closer to the original design...

While I think the Mandrakes look cool but I don't think their image suits their background. The only models I really don't like are the incubi... but this might be to do with the fact that out of the old range the incubi were my favourites. The new models are nice but I don't like the horns and I wished they had kept more of the aesthetics from the old model... Especially the old pole arms.
Back to top Go down
Aurora Doomfall
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 04:53

I love the old incubi, the new ones look to chaosy

They sould of kept mandrakes and talos with the old design, just update the models
Back to top Go down
cybogoblin
Slave

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 05:09

To be honest, I really, really disliked some of the old range's models. The Dark Eldar warrior with the giant hair do is a good example. At least they gave the length a bit of a trim when they did something similar with the Space Wolves.

The new Scourges are a vasts improvement on the old models. Sure, they've swapped the old armoured wings for new fleshy ones, but that suits the background even more. The Dark Eldar are no longer just normal Eldar with spikes, they're their own army.

http://geeklifebalance.wordpress.com
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 06:06

I miss "Bikini Karate Babes" that old Wyches were. Minimal plate armour in key locations is better than crappy all around.

As for Talos... one of (scrapped) concept arts for new one depicts it with scorpio body.

IMHO new models kinda lack of good/fresh concepts (Incubi are Warriors with horned helmets and swords, woo...), however old one had "wacky" sculpts so it ballance.
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 06:55

It's an argument about aesthetics and really comes down to personal preference. One thing that is an objective fact is that the new DE are simply better sculpted all around.

Back to top Go down
Aurora Doomfall
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 07:04

Better sculpted, but they lost all the style they had.

And i disagree with the scourge comment, the new ones are terrible, im still going to use my old ones
Back to top Go down
Koredhron
Slave

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 08:47

@Aurora Doomfall wrote:
Better sculpted, but they lost all the style they had.

And i disagree with the scourge comment, the new ones are terrible, im still going to use my old ones

I think they have a "new style". And the new scourges are fantastic.

So in the end its all about aesthetics and personal view. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
notts
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 10:04

the new scourges are ridiculously better than the old ones. The models are so nice they make me want to use them even though they arent really in the lists I plan.

the "chainmail bikini" wyches were shocking.

the heads weren't great, they were massive!

The old incubi look weedy and out of proportion as well.

I think it's just nostalgia making you guys think they are better!
Back to top Go down
ZaGstrike
Slave

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 11:22

For a long time when anyone thought of dark eldar they'd think about the old models, because that's all there was for such a long time, ANYTHING new would probably seem pretty jarring to some people.

Personally i do really like the old style helmets that were crazy tall and had the awesomely sinister side horns on them, so i decided to mix and match my warriors with the new ones and pieces from the old apo warriors and raider combo.

I miss the more wild style helmets, but if you want to bring back any of the older style then just build them yourself.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 15:39

as an old blood DE player, I have some likes and dislikes.

Warriors were alright, I had no problems with them and still use them to this day

Wyches were cool, but faces were terrible, new ones I like better, but I cant replace my good ol metal girls

loved the old reavers, but I converted mine to have the gun like a tail underneath instead of above them. I have some new ones to use for heat lances, but I still love breaking out my oldies Razz

The new scourges are far better, but I dont like the whole bird athestics that much. Glad they kept some bat though.

The new wracks are wwwaaayyy better than the old grotesques... those things were horrid

same with mandrakes, the old ones were so S&M. New ones look so awesome... too bad they suck...

Incubi are kinda a sticky situation for me. I like the old weapons, but the models were kinda weird. What was amazing though was the Vect Incubi. Man I love those models (trench coats make everything look badass). I actually bought a ton of them to use as my incubi. The new ones look steller, but I dont like the weapon change. There is probably a thread somewhere here that has my rant on their background change...

old tanks were better, new tanks are easier to transport (but barely)

old archon sucked... new one awesome.

I like the old talos, and I like the new one can be made into a kinda scorpion build (droping the body forward and putting the tail up)

thats about it. Overall I like what they have done with the update, I just wish they kept some of the old ideas, instead of almost completely starting anew.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Aurora Doomfall
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 19:30

Does anyone else think the sails on the raiders are stupid, i removed mine, and the rudders, there not boats how would a rudder work in the air?
Back to top Go down
Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 19:50

The same way a rudder work on a plane I imagine. The rudder controls the YAW of the plane allowing it to move on horizontal plain without crashing into the ground or flying off course. How do the old raider models turn in extremely high speeds?

I like the space pirate theme. Pirates are in my controversial opinion better than ninjas so having evil space elf pirates rule.

Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Fri Dec 09 2011, 20:36

@Marquis Vaulkhere wrote:
How do the old raider models turn in extremely high speeds?
By being awesome. (also, there are enough vents and other doodads to suggest they probably have some alternate exhaust ports to use...but mostly by using awesome)

I know we've had this discussion before, but here's my breakdown again for posterity;

Warriors - both cool, I probably like the new better though I miss the spiky hats of spiky awesome.

Wyches - Old are better.

Archon/Dracon/ect. - kind of a wash with me, honestly. I vaguely lean old as better because they had more character. The new ones are kind of bland and the best 'new' Archons are kitbashed.

Haems - both cool - preference for old, but the new ones look sweet.

Lelith - new is hands down better, best sculpt of the new line also in my opinion. Why couldn't the new Wyches look like this?

Urien - New is better, albeit old is still awesome.

Beastmasters - old is waaay better, I dare anyone to seriously argue that one.

Hellions - wash, both are cool. New are more dynamic, but old has an awesome style and are still a good sculpt.

RJBs - wash, I personally prefer the old, but the new look good, they just lack blades.

Scourges - I rather like the old Scourges, but accept the new as probably better.

Mandrakes - new are better I suppose, frankly I've never liked any of the Mandrake models. New look anime-ish, and old were just kinda bleh.

Incubi - old is better. We give up one of the most stylish looks ever for generic warrior in funny helmet with odd and ungainly 'dueling sword' in a model that has no visual connection to the Striking Scorpions. Bleh.

Wracks/Grots - I actually rather liked the old Grots, but will accept I'm weird for that call and don't wish to try to defend it in debate Wink

Talos - Old is better, new is one of the worst models of new line in my opinion. Hello floating flesh sack - oooh, scary. Or, hello horrible metal scorpion piloted by screaming skinned guy strapped into it - hello, nightmare fuel.

Raiders + Ravagers - both are cool, I personally like the jagged style of the old ones better. If I saw a fleet of those bearing down on me while playing heavy death metal at high volumes I would be screaming in terror at the obvious butt stompings that were clearly coming. New ones look too pretty and genteel for me.

Warp Beast vs. Khymarae - Warp Beasts are way cooler, hands down.

Kruellagh vs. anything - anything is better.
Back to top Go down
Rip
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Sat Dec 10 2011, 17:28

@Thor665 wrote:
Wyches - Old are better.

W...what?

Quote :
Kruellagh vs. anything - anything is better.

This is true.

She was replaced with Malys, who kicks more arse than a ten-legged arse kicking machine.

Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue / Cult of the Thirsting Blade / The Architects of Flesh
Zahr-Tann Craftworld
Sa'cea Sept
Back to top Go down
Plague
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Sat Dec 10 2011, 18:24

@Aurora Doomfall wrote:
Does anyone else think the sails on the raiders are stupid, i removed mine, and the rudders, there not boats how would a rudder work in the air?

I like the sails. I magnetized mine so that I could remove them when the vehicle gets immobilized. I did the same thing for the weapons systems when they get destroyed.

Archon

PostSubject: Re: New dark eldar   Sat Dec 10 2011, 19:01

@Rip wrote:
@Thor665 wrote:
Wyches - Old are better.

W...what?
I'll concede the new ones are technically more competent.
But the old ones actually look like gladiators who are putting on a show of daring and surviving off their agility..

The new ones look like random post apocalyptic fighters in spandex - bleh.
Back to top Go down

New dark eldar
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: