HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MuGGzy
Slave

PostSubject: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Wed Dec 07 2011, 23:31

I have gone with a Dark Purple (the old GW Imperial Purple) for my DE. The skin will be very pale, almost white.
However, when I look at the 50+ Wyches that are not even half done I think they all look too dark, I need a good contrasting color to make them "pop". I think some will have brown leather for gloves and boots but those are only scattered throughout, otherwise all the black will look like latex/leather with a gloss effect.

So I guess my contrasting color will be for the belts/sashes/pouches and things like that.

Ideas? Examples?
Back to top Go down
Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Thu Dec 08 2011, 00:39

Color Wheel says Yellow.
Contrasting colors are across from each other on the wheel.

Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Thu Dec 08 2011, 03:10

The old Imperial Purple was pretty dark if my memory serves correctly. (They haven't made that in what, 7-10 years or so?) Might be better off with an orange color(though I've never been able to bring myself to paint orange on anything other than Troll Slayers)

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Koredhron
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Thu Dec 08 2011, 14:23

If the Imperial Purple is near the Blue-violet on the colour wheel, you should use an Orange...

I would choose "Ember Orange" from P3, as it is less saturated than the GW`s one, and because when painting an army I try to limit mixing colours.

So the purple/orange would make a nice contrast scheme.
Back to top Go down
Wolfeslad
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Thu Dec 08 2011, 17:37

I'm with kohedhron on this one, orange might just be the better option with possible blue as a complimentary colour triangle to cool down the orange
Back to top Go down
dahlberg
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Fri Dec 09 2011, 05:56

I also vote for orange I've been using the foundation orange and vallejo game color orange fire for mine. here is a wip of my ravager

Fleshsculptor

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Fri Dec 09 2011, 06:37

Dark purple? I vote for... teal. And white.

Main reason is that hot and cold colours often don't mix too well. If You want yellow, try "fresh lemon" (yellow with tint of green).
Back to top Go down
Phototoxin
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Fri Dec 09 2011, 08:33

I second teal otherwise it might be too much of a contrast
Back to top Go down
http://http:www.finalcontingency.com
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Fri Dec 09 2011, 09:48

I concur. Stay on cold colors , its more Dark Eldarish.

You may actually think about metall parts and paint sail with white.Whatever you chose dont overbright.

Dark Purple , Brass Metallic , White Sails seems like ok color scheme.

Kesharq
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Sat Dec 10 2011, 09:21

my old Slaneesh-CSM had a purple colorscheme with bone-color as a contrast (dark brown, lightbrown, bleached bone, skullwhite highlights). Looked quite good.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Thu Dec 15 2011, 08:03

I used dark gold trim, and white sails on my Raiders. I agree with white as a contrast.
Back to top Go down
Aurora Doomfall
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Thu Dec 15 2011, 08:37

I found red works really well with purple, it contrasts but looks great
Back to top Go down
Guidebot
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Fri Dec 16 2011, 12:52

My experience with tyranids tells me that brooding green goes uber-well with dark purple.

Extreme highlights, by the way - use them =).
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple   Fri Dec 16 2011, 22:10

But make them very thin, if you do.

Need ideas for a good contrasting color for Dark Purple
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: