I spoke to one of our regulars at the shop and said I wasn't gonna post about this but I decided eh, why the hell not. Today Warp Charged Gaming
hosted an RTT at my local hobby shop and I schlepped on down for some dice rolling, feeling like someone dragged me on a bar crawl last night in spite of not drinking O_o weird. At any rate, I was running a "hobbled" version of a list I've been cutting for a while. No Eldar, no Scourges, no transports or Grotesques, not even a brigade *gasp*:
Cult of Strife Battalion:
Succubus with Blast Pistol
2x 5 Wyches w/Hydra Gauntlets
20 Wyches w/2 Hydra Gauntlets, 1 Shardnet, 1 Agonizer
2x 12 Razorwing Flocks
Black Heart Battalion:
Archon, venom blade
Archon, Blaster, venom blade, phantasm grenade launcher
4x 5 warriors
3x Ravagers w/Disintegrators
Voidraven Bomber w/missiles
Prophets of Flesh Spearhead:
Haemonculus w/electro whip vexator mask
Chronos w/spirit siphon
2x Talos w/haywire, macro scalpels
1x Talos w/heat lance, macro scalpels
came in at a tidy 2000 points.
First match I lost to Dark Angels with long range predators and 3 flyers. Those bombers were nasty and the -2 to hit against most of the army had me reeling. Still, I did a decent job with dropping 20 Wyches on 3 Predators but I couldn't stick it. Dunno what I did wrong really except not push hard enough with more units, a lack of pressure meant my army was picked apart rather easily. Birds died fast but that wasn't really the issue. Better secondaries might have been a good idea too. I lost 29 to 33.
Game 2 was against space wolves and one of those big knights I'm too tired to think of the name. The Knight killed stuff, but Wyches and birds and boats basically ate everything around it and it eventually was the last man standing as I took everything else over. We ended a turn early due to time and I picked some bum objectives again, so I ended up winning 23 to 22.
Final game was against Mortarion, Typhus, and a horde of poxwalkers. Mortarion sling-shotted up the board, was blown to hell, and then the Wyches just ate everything around him. Also Typhus was in a position to eat Ravager fire after Mortarion died so the poxwalkers lost a lot of oomph in one turn. Ended up being like 31 to 16 or something.
Overall I played pretty bad, picked pretty bad objectives, conceded a fair number of mistakes, and had a good shakedown of my ideas, placing 4th out of 14. Some take aways, and the reason I made this topic in the first place:
- Heat Lances are better than Haywire Blasters on Talos unless you have Doom and you're running like upwards of 6 Talos. I know the math says otherwise but the math is wrong when a few piddling extra wounds to a vehicle aren't really going to matter. The key is, you're bringing those suckers to punk problem characters and elites. With strategic use of rerolls and the fact that Talos are living 9" away from opponents, they make the most of the weapon option and it tends to pay off when you need it.
- The Chronos isn't bad. It's a little anemic but those reroll 1s are very nice and it tanks just as hard as a Talos. A quality buy.
- I didn't used to believe in buying Wych weapons, now I believe in buying Wych weapons.
- The Voidraven Bomber is still a mixed bag and I can't make heads or tails of its effectiveness. This is the most vexing unit in my list because it either rolls a squad of elites like a boss or does absolute jack all game.
- Speaking of which, the Vexator Mask is mandatory for any list even thinking about getting into close combat. I've played with and without and it's just too necessary at this point to leave home.
- Ravagers are overhyped. Against -1 or especially -2 to hit their effectiveness tanks and when they hit an invul save they start having problems. Yes, they bracketed Mortarion in 1 go, but that same volley of fire failed to kill a -1 to hit land speeder handing out buffs. I really don't know if I'm going to keep these things in my list going forward.
- Having more than 1 Archon is pointless.
- Lelith tends to earn her keep, idk why more people don't run her.
That's about all I got, I'm sure some other things will come to mind. The list needs some tweaks but I need to decompress and figure out what those tweaks are. Perhaps dropping some Ravagers for Razorwing Jetfighters, or just running the Kabal as a spearhead with the Covens running as a battalion and dropping something else, idk. Something has to give though, I've been dialing this list in and it's getting closer to that magical, bird-laden sweet spot.