Raider mixed unit tactics

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
withershadow
Wych
withershadow

Raider mixed unit tactics  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raider mixed unit tactics    Raider mixed unit tactics  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01 2018, 20:41

I think it’s more interesting to consider what complementary units you’d want in a raider. Is say 2 archons and a meatshield squad too many eggs in one basket? And are the same two archons and some cheap sacrificial court (lhamean or urghul) in a Venom a similar issue? Our vehicles transport capacity always has us making some kind of sacrifice to carry characters around.
Back to top Go down
lcfr
Sybarite
lcfr

PostSubject: Re: Raider mixed unit tactics    Raider mixed unit tactics  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01 2018, 22:09

I run 2 Blaster toting Archons (neither of whom are the Warlord) with 8 Mandrakes in a Raider and either deploy behind LOS blocking terrain or use Screaming Jets to send them where they need to be on Turn 2 after the enemy's big guns have been silenced.

It's a lot of points but with some planning it can be protected and put to use where it's needed, Mandrakes and Archons also don't horribly mind being stranded outside of their Raider.

Otherwise, at most I've taken 1-2 Lhamaeans to accompany HQ/s in a Venom. It didn't change my life but it didn't end it either.

I'll be a little disgruntled when the Index options are no longer legal (which I'm sure is just a matter of time), right now I'm pretty content Advancing my Archons around the board and giving some vehicle/s a re-roll buff while taking shots with Blasters. Archons are just so limited packed into transports.
Back to top Go down
Ragnos
Kabalite Warrior
Ragnos

PostSubject: Re: Raider mixed unit tactics    Raider mixed unit tactics  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02 2018, 09:15

I used a venom with Archon, Urien, Succubus, Sslyth and Ur Ghul inside to transport them to the front fast. I used Flayed Skull for more speed. Of course there are a lot of points inside this venom, and for most enemies this is enough reason to shoot everything they have on this venom. The last two games I took Lightning Fast Reflexes to give the venom -2 to hits, and even then they shot nearly everything they had on it. This allowed the rest of my army to get over the first shooting phase relatively unharmed. Sure, the venom was destroyed and the Ur Ghul died. In the last game the Red Grief Succubus with its enhanced invul was shot down to 1 wound remaining. But in the next round the vexator mask urien made its charge without overwatch, followed by the succubus and the archon. Even if they would have shot down the succubus and archon, it would have been worth because this was all he could do in his shooting phase.

What I want to say is that I basically used the HQs + Venom as a distraction. Most people I play with overestimate the dmg our HQs can do, but underestimate how resilient a venom with -2 to hit, an archon with shadow field and sslyth, a 3++ succubus and urien can be. They are totally eager to destroy this precious venom and it's payload and don't care about the 3 raiders with blaster warriors right behind it.
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych
Kantalla

PostSubject: Re: Raider mixed unit tactics    Raider mixed unit tactics  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02 2018, 10:58

It's great if something like that works for you, but I wouldn't be counting on your opponents regularly making that mistake.

Also - Urien, as a named character, can't take a Vexator Mask (see second paragraph in the Artefacts of Cruelty section).

Back to top Go down
Ragnos
Kabalite Warrior
Ragnos

PostSubject: Re: Raider mixed unit tactics    Raider mixed unit tactics  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02 2018, 13:26

@Kantalla wrote:
Also - Urien, as a named character, can't take a Vexator Mask (see second paragraph in the Artefacts of Cruelty section).

Thx, totally missed that in my last game.

Nevertheless, if they do not shoot the venom it is also good for me, because I get my HQs close to the enemy army and probably in CC range. And what else would I do with them? Please know that I don't play index choices --> Blaster Archon.

The last games where this tactic worked was against tau and IG. Maybe they were afraid of CC and that's why they shot at the venom.

Back to top Go down
withershadow
Wych
withershadow

PostSubject: Re: Raider mixed unit tactics    Raider mixed unit tactics  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 05 2018, 21:09

-double-

Last edited by withershadow on Sun Aug 05 2018, 21:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
withershadow
Wych
withershadow

PostSubject: Re: Raider mixed unit tactics    Raider mixed unit tactics  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 05 2018, 21:10

If you don’t use blasters, Archons are largely dead weight except for a Djinn Blade/blast pistol one or the usual Writ archon. Maybe the sniper pistol one if you’re using Poisoned Tongue.
Back to top Go down
Ragnos
Kabalite Warrior
Ragnos

PostSubject: Re: Raider mixed unit tactics    Raider mixed unit tactics  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 06 2018, 09:43

Yes, I know. But in my opinion it's kind of broken to allow an archon to carry the blasters with new stats.

If I would play at a competitive tournament I would probably do it. But for normal games this feels like cheating.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raider mixed unit tactics    Raider mixed unit tactics  - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raider mixed unit tactics
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: