HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Archon Cloning Questions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Agathus
Slave

PostSubject: Archon Cloning Questions   Wed Jun 06 2018, 08:07

So I read in the 8E codex that archons sometimes get clones of themselves made for a variety of reasons, and that really piqued my interest. However, I was wondering how exactly these clones function...

Do they know they're a clone? Do they have to induce suffering to keep their soul from withering away? Do they even have a soul?!

I'm wondering since I wanted to create some Kabal fluff about three archons that run a Kabal, where two of them are clones of the original. The problem is, nobody knows who the original archon is, not even the archons themselves. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Archon Cloning Questions   Wed Nov 28 2018, 22:04

Generally, the clones don't activate and function until the original croaks. Then the soul is transferred to the new body.

However, I think you custom fluff is AWESOME. Lots of great background stories are built around corner cases, where the normal rules go awry. An archon whose clones woke up sentient is a great start for an awesome story.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Archon Cloning Questions   Thu Nov 29 2018, 10:11

Clones tend to be the route to immortality, an Archon replacing their body if damaged (in battle, or by assassination usually).

Path of the Archon I believe does feature a clone of Asdrubael Vect, used as a body double (but kept on a metaphorical lead).
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Archon Cloning Questions   Thu Nov 29 2018, 18:44

Yeah, that new addition to archon fluff really made me think on how exactly it works. Since souls are tangible in 40k, there are several ways this can be done:

1) The clones are soulless sleeves that simply wait in stasis until the archon dies in combat
2) The clones are soulless sleeves that the archon activates one at a time by transferring his soul, allowing him to operate all over the realspace, if needed
3) The clones are with soul, and can act simultaneously, knowing that the others are clones too, but not sure who's the original
4) The clones are with soul, can act simultaneously, but the original archon has the ability to swap souls with a clone that's out of danger before death, so that his soul does not go to Slaanesh (think Yllithian and his cousin or Bellathonis and Kharbyr from the Path of the Dark Eldar)
5) The clones are soulless, but a manifestation of the archon's soul can be placed in them to give them some form of autonomy (Vect in Path of the Dark Eldar)
6) Some other wacky haemonculus super science, the possiblities are endless!

It's one of those background changes that really opens up how you want to fluff your army and I really like that about 8e.

Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Archon Cloning Questions   Thu Nov 29 2018, 21:40

@Squidmaster wrote:
Clones tend to be the route to immortality, an Archon replacing their body if damaged (in battle, or by assassination usually).

Path of the Archon I believe does feature a clone of Asdrubael Vect, used as a body double (but kept on a metaphorical lead).

I don't believe the body double in PotA is a clone; if I recall correctly he's a drukhari or some corner-case-alien who has special training and body modifications to act as a professional stand-in. I might be misremembering though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Archon Cloning Questions   

Back to top Go down

Archon Cloning Questions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Background
-
Jump to: