HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Unboxing Mandrakes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aschen
Sybarite

PostSubject: Unboxing Mandrakes   Fri May 25 2018, 02:09

I just got a couple boxes of mandrakes in, and man am I disappointed! Even beyond the fact that there is tons of flash, and resin sticking out of places it shouldnt (right under the chin!).

There are no instructions! you got 3 different poses, all that use a different arm, and no way to differentiate the arms and know which body they go to! Im rather disappointed....
Back to top Go down
Nogrim
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Unboxing Mandrakes   Fri May 25 2018, 06:15

glad i bought the namarti thralls and chose to use them as mandrakes instead. unit of 10 for cheaper than 2 units of 5, and much much nicer looking models. just leave the weird back piece off and they look awesome.
Back to top Go down
withershadow
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Unboxing Mandrakes   Fri May 25 2018, 08:27

There is a seller on eBay that is making metal mandrakes and incubi. I am pretty sure they are casting them, and are maybe using some lead, because they are somewhat softer than the old pewter mandrakes I have, but $17 for 5 is not bad at all.
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Unboxing Mandrakes   Fri May 25 2018, 11:23

@Aschen wrote:
I just got a couple boxes of mandrakes in, and man am I disappointed!  Even beyond the fact that there is tons of flash, and resin sticking out of places it shouldnt (right under the chin!).

There are no instructions!  you got 3 different poses, all that use a different arm, and no way to differentiate the arms and know which body they go to!  Im rather disappointed....

The pictures on the GW site should help with the arms.

One thing I'll say is make sure you examine them carefully for mistakes. I've had a lot of problems with Mandrakes - weapons not properly cast, missing some of their toes etc.

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Unboxing Mandrakes   Fri May 25 2018, 11:25

Very much leaning towards the Namarti Thralls. I love the Mandrake models but I loathe Failcast. Tough choice!

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Unboxing Mandrakes   Fri May 25 2018, 11:54

@Count Adhemar wrote:
I love the Mandrake models but I loathe Failcast. Tough choice!

I think Mandrakes have the best (helmet-less) head sculpts in our entire range.

However, aside from being Failcast, I have a similar problem with them as I do with Scourges - in that the models seem far too nice to just be 1-wound grunts. Neutral

I'd much prefer to tweak them a little and use them as HQs.

Anyway, I'd agree that Namarti Thralls would make excellent substitutes. However, if I was going to use different models anyway, I think my pick would be Spirit Hosts. Basically representing Mandrakes emerging from the shadows (or as shadows). Looking at how they're built, I think you could probably make 3 Mandrakes out of each spirit host.

Toffeehammer
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Unboxing Mandrakes   Fri May 25 2018, 12:28

I tend to try and stay away from finecast so I just made my own mandrakes out of warrior and wych parts with heads that had covered mouths and exposed left arms, painted their skin black and hair white with green tattoos on their left arms and that was that.
Back to top Go down
DevilDoll
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Unboxing Mandrakes   Sat May 26 2018, 19:50

Namarti Thralls look ok as substitutes but as i generally dislike bald dudes i used tree revenants instead they look much more like mandrakes tbh
Back to top Go down
Varish Zephar
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Unboxing Mandrakes   Sat May 26 2018, 23:20

That's a shame dude. I've stayed well clear of finecast, I use singular based aos spirit hosts for my drakes:)
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Unboxing Mandrakes   Sat May 26 2018, 23:40

@Varish Zephar wrote:
That's a shame dude. I've stayed well clear of finecast, I use singular based aos spirit hosts for my drakes:)

Do you have any pictures?

Rasp
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Unboxing Mandrakes   Mon May 28 2018, 08:06

I also used tree revenants. Pruned the leaves off, painted all the tree parts like shadows (black with grey dry brush and blue glaze). I think they look pretty good. Not exactly cheap though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unboxing Mandrakes   

Back to top Go down

Unboxing Mandrakes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: