HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 To kitbash or not to kitbash?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aschen
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 261
Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Tue May 15 2018, 20:16

So I've got a NIB Archon (hate the model) and a NIB Llamaean (love the model) I've been pondering using the Llamaean as an archon, but can't decide if I want to kitbash... grab a blaster or whatnot, use the huskblade from the Archon kit to replace one of her weapons.... that sorta thing...

My only fear is how fragile Finecast is, and how difficult it is to keep the glue points together when its something like finecast -to- plastic...... So would it be worth it to convert it? Or best just to run the Llamaean as is and call it counts-as-Archon

My local group doesnt have any problems with such proxies, btw. I've been using a Sslyth model for my archon for a while now (though most of his weapons have broken off...darn finecast pos!)
Back to top Go down
Glass Battleaxe
Hellion
avatar

Posts : 42
Join date : 2017-11-16

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Wed May 16 2018, 01:40

Personally, I prefer to kit-bash where possible, just to get some diversity among units that would otherwise be exactly the same - I have four of the GW archons, and only one of them has any of the weapons from the kit (and even then it's only the huskblade). I think a Lhamaean-based archon would look pretty good.

In regards to finecast, I'm not sure how much help I can be. I've got four Sslyths that have an array of weapons from plastic sprues, and they seem to attach fine - but I'm not sure how that would work with the Lhamaean, who, if I'm not mistaken, comes in one piece. I suppose as long as the contact points between the finecast and plastic parts are smooth enough - no mould lines, unnecessary clippings etc. - it should go together alright. It just needs a bit of patience (and I say that from experience).


Recently I've had quite a bit of fun with kit-bashing my own custom models from scratch - mostly out of spares and other models. The picture below is my latest creation - a winged archon for my kabal, kit-bashed out of spare bits and a Scourge torso/wings. I'm still writing the background that describes the axe he uses, but for match purposes, I can probably use it as a power sword.

Back to top Go down
Aschen
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 261
Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Wed May 16 2018, 01:46

very cool looking model, btw!
Back to top Go down
Aschen
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 261
Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Sat May 19 2018, 01:23



Kinda fuzzy, but thats my two archons at the moment.  Not much work on the Llamaean, used a cut up shredder for a blaster, and put a spike on her back.

Lost an arm on the Sslyth a while back, so replaced it with the archon husk blade arm, put the Llamaean sword tip for my broken sword, and then shredder for a blaster again. Gave him the trophy rack from the archon blister as well
Back to top Go down
Glass Battleaxe
Hellion
avatar

Posts : 42
Join date : 2017-11-16

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Mon May 21 2018, 01:31

Some nice conversion work there. Should look great once they're all painted up.

Never thought of using shredders as a proxy for blasters. Makes them look more unique.

The Sslyth archon looks very cool - might have to try something like that myself (maybe not as an archon, but as some sort of unique 'super-sslyth' character that can work with my fluff). Though, I'm curious to know why you put him on a 25mm base - don't Sslyths normally come with a 40mm base? I'm just thinking of how fragile the tail might be like that, given that it's finecast.
Back to top Go down
Aschen
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 261
Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Mon May 21 2018, 04:51

...honestly I dont know why he's on a 25mm base. I coulda lost the base for him and put him on an extra one.... Or I used him as the Duke in the old editions...so maybe thats why?
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Hekatrix
avatar

Posts : 1041
Join date : 2017-01-26

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Mon May 21 2018, 09:34

Originally sslyth were on 25 bases only for the last few (ok maybe more than a few) years did they end up on larger bases.
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Wych
avatar

Posts : 563
Join date : 2018-04-02

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Tue May 29 2018, 16:51

@Glass Battleaxe wrote:

Recently I've had quite a bit of fun with kit-bashing my own custom models from scratch - mostly out of spares and other models. The picture below is my latest creation - a winged archon for my kabal, kit-bashed out of spare bits and a Scourge torso/wings. I'm still writing the background that describes the axe he uses, but for match purposes, I can probably use it as a power sword.


Wow, that looks amazing. Makes me even more sad that Archons can't take Wings (or any equivalent).

Can I ask where the non-DE parts are from?


Also, regarding the Axe, a Power Sword seems like a strange choice. I'd have thought a Huskblade would be a more logical choice (especially since +1S -2AP is the same as for a Power Axe). Up to you, obviously, but that's how I see it.

_________________
@TeenageAngst wrote:
Never trust the French.
Back to top Go down
Glass Battleaxe
Hellion
avatar

Posts : 42
Join date : 2017-11-16

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Tue May 29 2018, 21:42

@Soulless Samurai wrote:
Wow, that looks amazing. Makes me even more sad that Archons can't take Wings (or any equivalent).

Can I ask where the non-DE parts are from?


Also, regarding the Axe, a Power Sword seems like a strange choice. I'd have thought a Huskblade would be a more logical choice (especially since +1S -2AP is the same as for a Power Axe). Up to you, obviously, but that's how I see it.  

This Winged Archon was made with the following:
- Scourges - Torso and Wings
- Kabalites - Blaster Arm (Scourge one has no armor)
- Raider Crew - Axe arm and shaft
- Hellions - Shoulder pads
- Harlequins Starweaver Crew - Legs
- Craftworld Wraithblades - Axe blade
- Craftworld Guardian Defenders - Head
Then put it on an Age of Sigmar hero base - one of two with a lot of skulls - and add a lot more skulls from the Skulls base detail pack. (No green stuff was used in the making of this Archon)

As for the weapon profile, I... hadn't considered that. I suppose it would make more sense as a Huskblade, but I think I was looking at it more from a WYSIWYG perspective - how would an opponent, seeing it for the first time, define it before I inform them - so a Power Sword seemed the most appropriate based on its current look (shame there's no generic 'power 'weapon'' option anymore). It'll probably be easier to define/decide on its profile once its painted - I'm intending to do the blade in a green/blue crystal effect, inspired by the Glass weapons from the Elder Scrolls game series.
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Wych
avatar

Posts : 563
Join date : 2018-04-02

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Tue May 29 2018, 22:22

@Glass Battleaxe wrote:

This Winged Archon was made with the following:
- Scourges - Torso and Wings
- Kabalites - Blaster Arm (Scourge one has no armor)
- Raider Crew - Axe arm and shaft
- Hellions - Shoulder pads
- Harlequins Starweaver Crew - Legs
- Craftworld Wraithblades - Axe blade
- Craftworld Guardian Defenders - Head
Then put it on an Age of Sigmar hero base - one of two with a lot of skulls - and add a lot more skulls from the Skulls base detail pack. (No green stuff was used in the making of this Archon)

Thanks.

One more thing - can I ask how you got the Blaster aiming at an outwards angle? I thought it could only lie flat against the model's chest.

@Glass Battleaxe wrote:

As for the weapon profile, I... hadn't considered that. I suppose it would make more sense as a Huskblade, but I think I was looking at it more from a WYSIWYG perspective - how would an opponent, seeing it for the first time, define it before I inform them - so a Power Sword seemed the most appropriate based on its current look (shame there's no generic 'power 'weapon'' option anymore). It'll probably be easier to define/decide on its profile once its painted - I'm intending to do the blade in a green/blue crystal effect, inspired by the Glass weapons from the Elder Scrolls game series.

I suppose the reason I find it weird is that the Power Sword is the only weapon with a clearly defined shape - and it isn't an axe. Wink

Meanwhile, Venom Blades and Huskblades might imply a sword, but really they just define the weapon as having some form of blade - which could easily include that of an axe. And 'Agoniser' doesn't really imply anything at all.

Again, though, that's just my two cents.

_________________
@TeenageAngst wrote:
Never trust the French.
Back to top Go down
Glass Battleaxe
Hellion
avatar

Posts : 42
Join date : 2017-11-16

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Wed May 30 2018, 01:20

Normally it does, but with this one, I filed down the area where the arm attaches to the torso - so when it's attached, the angle is different. I've done this with some of my other models that use Blasters, Shredders etc., though not to this extent. It's particularly useful if the pose you have in mind isn't reliant on using the other arm to hold the weapon - especially if you're tweaking the GW Archons.

And I get what you're saying about the axe. Maybe I'll try running it as a Huskblade or Venom Blade in my next match - should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Aschen
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 261
Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Wed May 30 2018, 01:53



In case anyone was wondering how the first turned out. Working on the Llaemaean next
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Wych
avatar

Posts : 563
Join date : 2018-04-02

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Wed May 30 2018, 09:37

I'm liking the Sslyth Archon. I guess they don't make for reliable bodyguards, after all. Razz


@Glass Battleaxe wrote:
Normally it does, but with this one, I filed down the area where the arm attaches to the torso - so when it's attached, the angle is different. I've done this with some of my other models that use Blasters, Shredders etc., though not to this extent. It's particularly useful if the pose you have in mind isn't reliant on using the other arm to hold the weapon - especially if you're tweaking the GW Archons.

Ah, I see. I'll have to give this a go myself. Thanks.

_________________
@TeenageAngst wrote:
Never trust the French.
Back to top Go down
Aschen
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 261
Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Thu May 31 2018, 07:00


here is the Llamaean
Back to top Go down
Soulless Samurai
Wych
avatar

Posts : 563
Join date : 2018-04-02

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Thu May 31 2018, 16:48

I thought I'd share a few things I've been messing around with:

I got some Mandrakes a while back, but a few of the molds had messed up. GW sent me replacements and let me keep the other ones, too. This one's feet were a mess, so I cut off the lower body and am trying alternatives.
Spoiler:
 

I liked the idea of using Scourge legs just for the claws (their normal feet are a little too normal for my tastes). Not sure about the pose, though. I'll probably mess around with this one a little more.

It's possible he'll also end up with wings, but we'll see how it goes.


The next two came about because I had quite a few of the models that are supposed to hang on the side of Raiders or Venoms, which I've never used. I wanted to do something with them.

Archon:

Spoiler:
 

(I might also add the holstered pistol, but I won't glut that on just yet.)


Sabarite:

Spoiler:
 

Not much to say about these two. Really, I was just trying to find ways to fit their unusual poses.

_________________
@TeenageAngst wrote:
Never trust the French.
Back to top Go down
Glass Battleaxe
Hellion
avatar

Posts : 42
Join date : 2017-11-16

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Sat Jun 23 2018, 21:21

Sorry for pushing up a dead(ish) topic, but...

For those who were interested, here is my kitbashed archon painted up, along with a pair of sslyths.



I'll have some better images tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Aschen
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 261
Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   Sun Jun 24 2018, 02:15

they look good Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: To kitbash or not to kitbash?   

Back to top Go down
 
To kitbash or not to kitbash?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

 :: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: