HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The unmentioned problem in the new codex

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Rodi Sikni
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The unmentioned problem in the new codex   Tue Apr 17 2018, 17:12

@zelatar wrote:
Also, I haven't read the entire codex yet, but some fluff seems to complement the new horde mechanics. For example, senior kabalites send new recruits in as a meat shield while they remain aboard hovercraft. Does a good job of conveying a hordes feel, at least to me.

What sold me on DE was this one passage from the 7E codex--the chronological log of a Drukhari raid. The invading force flawlessly coordinates a surprise attack, takes down the planet's defenses, and makes off with the rest of the population as slaves. And one DE leader takes the opportunity to betray another, to boot! That passage did a really great job of conveying what a successful glass hammer attack would be like to me.

I'm sure a well-written account of a successful DE horde attack could be cool, but the surgical-strike, fade-like-a-ninja flavor is inherently lost when portions of your army are there to soak up bullets and be left behind as casualties.

Anyway, the reason I mention all this is because I'm curious--for those of you who have read the new codex front to back already, does the fluff give more of a hordes-like impression, now? Or is the fluff largely unchanged?

The lore of the codex is cool. The treatment of the army is not like a traditional horde, is more like a shoal of fish or a flock of birds. Numerous but coordinated, moving like a unique ente, evading the danger with gracefulness, and meanwhile they hurt the enemy on his weakspot.

The codex doesn't show us like a horde, but descrives each kabal like a huge organizations with lots of people and resources, and seems like they try to translate these on the battlefield.

Maybe the Dark Eldar were a Hammer Glass, but the change to Drukhari not only has been a renaming. That role is not our anymore, probably Harlequins take the place of the Dark Eldar.
Back to top Go down
Leninade
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The unmentioned problem in the new codex   Tue Apr 17 2018, 18:08

True, you have to hit like a ton of bricks to be a glass hammer, not slowly plink away at the enemy
Back to top Go down
zelatar
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The unmentioned problem in the new codex   Wed Apr 18 2018, 09:24

@Rodi Sikni wrote:

The lore of the codex is cool. The treatment of the army is not like a traditional horde, is more like a shoal of fish or a flock of birds. Numerous but coordinated, moving like a unique ente, evading the danger with gracefulness, and meanwhile they hurt the enemy on his weakspot.

This is so awesome. Despite my initial observations about the codex I was still excited to build out my army, but your (very evocative) comparison has totally *completely* me on the revised playstyle. And now my avian-themed kitbashes can drive home the theme! Thanks!

PostSubject: Re: The unmentioned problem in the new codex   

Back to top Go down

The unmentioned problem in the new codex
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: