Share | 

What should I buy??

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zormo
Slave

PostSubject: What should I buy??   Tue Apr 03 2018, 21:30

So it's my 21st birthday on the 7th (lucky me), and I just recently finished off my Death Guard army and want to start putting together a Drukhari list, somewhere between 1.5k-2k points.

I just bought the old start collecting box because I figure I will end up wanting the models from it anyway and I have 1 Venom, but I don't know what I should be getting next. Some friends and family want to know what to get me, but as the codex isn't out yet I'm not entirely sure. I'm leaning towards a mix of wyches (so probably get the new SC right?) and kabalites more than covens, but I'm happy to add some in if it will strengthen my army. I really like the idea of having loads of vehicles but which are worth taking?

At the moment I'm toying with the idea of having:

• 3 Ravagers
    3 Razorwing Jetfighters
    A Tantalus

Are these all still good choices? Could I fit them all into a list without missing out on troops? Is it a good idea to stick a squad of wyches in a tantalus and charge it into the enemy head on? How many wyches/kabalites should I get? Any advice on what units I should be purchasing is appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
HERO
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Tue Apr 03 2018, 21:41

Happy Birthday, and yes all good choices Smile

However, you need to start off with some troops, and right now I'm really advocating for Venoms, Raiders, loaded with Warriors.

Before we go too far down this road, can you tell us what you're interested in terms of personality and theme? One of the first things I ask new players is what's their aesthetic preference. That will guide us to a more successful army that you will love to build and paint as well.

Back to top Go down
http://lkhero.blogspot.com/
Dizzie
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Tue Apr 03 2018, 21:52

Razorwings and ravagers are solid choices yeah, the tantalus is for the moment, there's some tricks the tantalus can pull that makes it really really good due to how the keywords work, this could be FAQed in next couple of weeks, though even if it does change the tantalus still is a good buy.

I'd highly recommend gangs of commoragh to flesh out reavers and hellions, its very cheap for what you get, 6 reavers and 10 hellions from £30-35 depending on who you buy from.
The start collecting box is decent for both wyches and kabals, you might still be able to get the last stock of kabal version if you are quick, I wouldn't worry about getting too many reavers either, they are good and can be easily sold on ebay if you think you have too many, should be one of the most sought after units atm and will help you to break even and get 10 hellions for free possibly too.
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Tue Apr 03 2018, 22:07

Happy birthday !

First of all, to play DE you'll need plenty of vehicles, and now you'll need plenty of HQs. So if you can reach for another old school Start Collecting, trust me, you'll use those models twice.

Then, what are the best values in our range ?

- Avoid everything that is finecast. No mandrakes, no incubi, no beasts...

- Scourges are great. For a tadd more than 20 euros, you have a squad, and a lot of customization to do. Brilliant models, super good units... they are my best buy.

- Venoms, Raiders, Kabalites, Wyches... you can't go wrong with those.

- Gangs of Commoragh. The value of that box is amazing (more than 200%) and now both hellions and reavers are playable.

- the Razorwing is nice. Not pricey (unlike the Voidraven), and a very nice alternative to the ravager.

- Everything that is Coven related is gloriously overpriced, except maybe the Talos/Chronos kit.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 00:24

Okay, so I think I'm going to try and get a second old SC box, and buy a box of wyches on their own. I'm not a big fan of hellions so might give the gangs box a miss... When it comes to supporting my troops, which would you guys go with; the ravager or the jet fighter?

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 00:51

both, in this case i would advise take what you like first, their roles are basically the same, the razorwing is prob a little more flexible with missiles but you pay a bit extra and trade off for the 3rd heavy weapon the ravager would have, though you gain minus 1 to hit and can move faster.
The ravager and the razorwing are both great units you'll be using them both, a lot.
Back to top Go down
Zormo
Slave

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 00:56

How many should I have of each? 3 seems like a good number, should I get 3 of one or a mix?

Sent from Topic'it App

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 00:58

Tantalus, its the only time you'll get it! lol

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Dizzie
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 01:15

I always use 3 ravagers and maybe only 1 or 2 fliers, only because i don't have models to take more fliers.
If you are getting 3 i'd go with 2 ravagers and a razorwing, however with regards to razorwings i don't know all the changes yet, apparently necrotoxic missiles are 3d6 now, at str 6 and they did get cheaper but so did the ravager, Not that it matters much but the razorwing has a greater edge at anti infantry than the ravager with dissintegrators, and as anti tank role the ravager would be marginally better over the razorwing.
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 06:17

Gangs of Commorragh is the best value for your dollars. If you're looking for something unique though I'm gonna go off the board and say the Voidraven Bomber. I don't know what it looks like in the codex, but I found myself running it over and over in the Index and it always earned its points. Plus the model is IMO one of the best flyers in the game in terms of looks, and it's much easier to put together than a Razorwing Jetfighter.

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
Lord Asvaldir
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 06:36

Yeah I really wish gangs of commorragh would get back in stock on the US webstore, been waiting to grab one of those boxes.

The bomber is easier to put together than the fighter? Never would have guessed since it's bigger, but having only assembled a fighter and not a bomber I'll take your word for it.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 08:55

Wychcult Shardstorm! Very Happy
There is one box left over since quite some time now in my club. I managed to get my hands on it!

@OP:

3 Ravagers (It will allow you to have a Spearhead Detachment)
3 Razorwing Jetfighters (It will allow you to have an Air Wing Detachment)
A Tantalus

On this list, so far I'd consider dropping the Tantalus... at least for now.
3 Ravagers and RWJF are solid choices.
Ofc, you will need troops (wyches and kabalites) for everything, and HQs.

Also, on a side note: You might want to magnet your Ravager's weapons.
Back to top Go down
Zormo
Slave

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 11:07

Thanks for all your answers guys, just one more question: TROOPS.

In a typical 1.5k/2k list, how many kabalites and wyches should I be fielding? I have a potential list written up but atm it only has 20 kabalites and I feel like I need way more...

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 11:12

Well.... thats very hard to answer, some will say "20 is fine", same will say "you need more", others will say.. "Wait you play with troops?"

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Dark Elf Dave
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 11:43

If I was knew to DE as of today I would try and buy 3 patrols (x3 HQ and x3 Troops).

Best value by far is the start collecting boxes...everything you get in those boxes you will for sure end up using.

You will want 9 Reavers.  Some people are looking at running them in 12's which is to get the max from the MW strategem.

I think 3 Raiders is nearly a minimum unless you go major Venom spam which again works fine.

I wouldn't advise x3 flyers unless you have a good number of troops on the ground.

If it was me going shopping this weekend for DE then I would be buying x4 start collecting boxes, two of each. That way you end up with x3 HQ, min X3 troops, loads of transport and some Reavers!

It sounds like you might prefer tanks over troops...so good luck with DE!
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 11:50

@Dark Elf Dave wrote:
If I was knew to DE as of today I would try and buy 3 patrols (x3 HQ and x3 Troops).

Best value by far is the start collecting boxes...everything you get in those boxes you will for sure end up using.

You will want 9 Reavers.  Some people are looking at running them in 12's which is to get the max from the MW strategem.

I think 3 Raiders is nearly a minimum unless you go major Venom spam which again works fine.

I wouldn't advise x3 flyers unless you have a good number of troops on the ground.

If it was me going shopping this weekend for DE then I would be buying x4 start collecting boxes, two of each.  That way you end up with x3 HQ, min X3 troops, loads of transport and some Reavers!

It sounds like you might prefer tanks over troops...so good luck with DE!

I never play with more than 2 Flyers personally, i have played with 3 Flyers a few times and i'll never do it again, 2 is enough for me.

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Toffeehammer
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 12:02

@TeenageAngst wrote:
Gangs of Commorragh is the best value for your dollars. If you're looking for something unique though I'm gonna go off the board and say the Voidraven Bomber. I don't know what it looks like in the codex, but I found myself running it over and over in the Index and it always earned its points. Plus the model is IMO one of the best flyers in the game in terms of looks, and it's much easier to put together than a Razorwing Jetfighter.

It could be that I just massively failed at it but, for me, the Voidraven was one of the most nightmarish things to assemble I've ever bought. The top and bottom halves wouldn't connect as long as the pilot was in there so I was forced to take them out (all my flyers have tinted windows so not a big deal either way but still).

On topic though: sure, I would totally get a Voidraven. It does good work in every battle I take it to.
Back to top Go down
Dizzie
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 14:34

I've always had great success with voidraven using dark scythes, its a pricey model though, there was an issue were it wasn't worth its points with this setup, however with trueborn gone now and the price drops its a cert its going to get used more.
Great against elite troops due to dark scythes and bomb, it can do anti-tank too but its not great at it with scythes only being d3 damage, i'm hoping its a straight up 3 damage in new codex,though only thing i know for sure is it got a points drop
Back to top Go down
Alezya
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 14:50

@Zormo wrote:
Thanks for all your answers guys, just one more question: TROOPS.

In a typical 1.5k/2k list, how many kabalites and wyches should I be fielding? I have a potential list written up but atm it only has 20 kabalites and I feel like I need way more...

Mmmm, on my all mix list (Kabal + Cult + Coven) so far, I plan to play 28 Wyches, 20 Kabalites and maybe some wracks (depending on the pts left and on what they will do according to the codex: I am still unsure about them).

But generally, I always consider different combinations of at least 20 kabalites (also in previous Editions).

For 8th Ed and my next DE lists, I think I will go with:

For Battalion
2*5 Kabalites blaster
1*10 Kabalites 2 shredder 1 DL
or
2*10 Kabalites 2 shredder 1 DL
1*5 Kabalites for the 3rd slot
or

For Patrol/Spearhead
1*20 Kabalites 4 shredder 2 DL
or
2*10 Kabalites 2 shredder 1 DL

This is the minimum I think I would play in my detachments as a general base. Then I would add the other stuff. And if I have pts left, maybe add some more Kabalite. But this is a general base.

(except very occasionally or a very specific list like Ravager spam or Wych cult only)

For Wyches, it is different, I would only play multiple units of 10 wyches with all weaponry (flails/gauntlet/impaler/agonizer on the Hekatrix) and 1 unit of 7-8 to put them with CC characters inside.

Overall, I think 20 to 25 Kabalites (you can also add 5 models for extra & different special weapons) and 20 Wyches should be enough for a 2k list.
If you want to make an infantry themed list, or only Kabal list, then the need in Kabalite warriors skyrockets.
Back to top Go down
Dark Elf Dave
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 15:45

I would like to point out that a tank themed (Ravager/Flyers) DE army will now find it hard going vs. a more balanced DE army.

Apart from points dropping on almost everything, most of the obsessions are very much aimed at making infantry better.

At 2k points I would imagine most will have min 40 troops. It wouldn't take much effort for someone to focus fire and wipe out 20 Kabs.
Back to top Go down
Dizzie
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 16:15

@Dark Elf Dave wrote:

At 2k points I would imagine most will have min 40 troops.  It wouldn't take much effort for someone to focus fire and wipe out 20 Kabs.

Yeah i'm thinking perhaps more, with 20 man wyche squads and 20 man kabalite squads doing its deepstrike thing turn 1, with wracks(here's to hoping their new cap is 20) doing their redeploy as well.
Then patrol detachments can be met quite easily and have great potential to sow discord turn 1, its not cheap cp wise but you can balance it back out using same patrols so it pays for itself, then you can add a battalion to add +6cp.
I'm figuring a lot of people are going to be using this or a variation on this so i'm estimating troops to be at least 60+.
Back to top Go down
Quauchtemoc
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 16:23

I dont thik deepstriking whych is a good idea, too all in
Back to top Go down
Dizzie
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 16:33

@Quauchtemoc wrote:

cult of red grief, can advance and charge, can also reroll charges.
they are basically in t1 unless you roll really bad and i mean really really bad.
However i tend to agree with you, its likely i'll be using DS with other units, mainly warriors and using the better obsessions for wyches on raiders.
Back to top Go down
Quauchtemoc
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 16:47

@Dizzie wrote:
@Quauchtemoc wrote:

they are basically in t1 unless you roll really bad and i mean really really bad.
However i tend to agree with you, its likely i'll be using DS with other units, mainly warriors and using the better obsessions for wyches on raiders.

You cant advance if you deepstrike and even with a reroll 9" charge is really risky. The only CC unit that could take a WWP is the Grotesque i think
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   Wed Apr 04 2018, 16:49

@Quauchtemoc wrote:
@Dizzie wrote:
@Quauchtemoc wrote:

You cant advance if you deepstrike and even with a reroll 9" charge is really risky.

Tell me about it. My Blood Angels failed a 9" charge last week on 3d6 with a re-roll!

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What should I buy??   

Back to top Go down

What should I buy??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: