HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

I`ve almost done for...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Devilogical
Sybarite

PostSubject: I`ve almost done for...   Thu Mar 29 2018, 07:29

Recently (in January Very Happy ) we played a small tournament in our local game club.

Well, if that should be the start of it... I`m not pro-player. As one of my comrades says: yuo`re fun-player-only. That`s totaly it. Playing wargames, or magic, or computer games, i always playing fo fun. Never thought of a WH40k as a 'sport discipline' or a 'serious deal'. For me it`s just a hobby with smal evil space elves figures.

So i came on a tournament with a roster of all my favorite units. There`s no synergy - just fun. Scourges (i keep telling people, that they are great, but they still failing me every game Sad ), lot`s of wyches, beasts (hope they won`t get any worse in the new edition). I`ve playde two games in a row with Dark angel and boy-o-boy how i hated this 'my units shoot if they die' and 'i will retreat from combat and still shoot'. Yet the first game was ok. I won. Barely Very Happy Very Happy

But in the second one i played against on of our 'pro-players'. They just love to arguin about things, trying to break the rules and stuff. Yet i`ve managed to stay good and even winning at some point. To the fourth turn, actualy. It was then things get spicy. We were playing mission from chapter approved, by the way. The one with four card, but you have to discard every one at the end of your turn. With secret objective for every player. I don`t remeber the name of it and don`t wanna search it now.

I was ahead (10 points of missions and we both had 5 killpoints) but in the last turn we suddenly remembered, that we had this stupid secret objective. My noble Drukhari (wait, did i realy call them this way??? affraid ) hold 3of6 markers, while he control only 1 (his whole army was stand around this marker all game Very Happy ). And when he rolled for objective markers for us guess whych one was needed in purpose of the winning? Yeah, right. The one he controlled. And i was needed... the same one. And ALL four datacard he pulled that turn was build around... this same marker. Number five, i remember this... All missions, that do more points for things like 'your warlord controll objective ( 66, i think) and 'no enemy models around objective'. He got them all!

I was shoked. I lose a lot (fun rosters are never strong rosters). Somtimes i lose at very first turn (against IG and Tau). But in ten years i`vs never seen such a defeat. My opponent played a very good competive roster, while i came with bunch of miniatures i like the most. And he won without moving a finger. Total score after game was 17-3!! Damn! To say i was upset is to say nothing Very Happy

But not this losing get me to the boiling point. At our chatroom my opponent and his friends start to saying, that they not just humiliated me (like i`ve never get wiped at the very first turn Very Happy ) like a child, but had a magnificent planning and so on. At full serious they keep sayng, that i`m just 'dumb idiot' (that`s not the exactly words, if you know what i mean Twisted Evil ) who simple doesn`t know how to play warhammer, while they are Fathers of the Game in our city. I didn`t want to argue, so i lefted.

Since than i slowly selling some of my models and stuff, completely lost and confused. I didn`t read any news about upcoming DE release and left all warhammer chats and pages, including this one. A couple of days ago i`ve decided to sell my dark reapers dices and datacards (got them just the day after that tournament). And then, at the workplace, i was thinking: What the hell? Does a couple of jerks will cost me drop beloved hobby i did for years? Am i overreacting? Do they win if i quit? And the answer is 'yes'. People will, probably, laught at me, if i return to game right now, but they will laught even louder, if i quit for such stupid reasons.

No matter how you win or lose, this is just the game with the dice in it. And opinion of others should not make ourselves think bad about us or things we do. Even if we like to play dark eldar zoo.
Stay cool.

Succubus Ariel the Vengefull of the Wych cult Blade Denied to her sister, archon Elieae after the conquering Low Commoragh Dark spire.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: I`ve almost done for...   Thu Mar 29 2018, 08:50

It sounds like your local is the problem, i wouldnt put up with some of that crap honestly.

Never stop what you love b.c of others, just remember its common for people to get jealous of others for having fun when they are not.

Keep playing what and how you like, and dont let jerks change that.

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: I`ve almost done for...   Thu Mar 29 2018, 09:48

I'd tell them that I took an uncompetitive, fluffy, fun list and was competing evenly with the so-called 'pro-player' until blind luck allowed the 'pro' to pull out a win against that list. If one dice roll had gone the other way he'd have been on the end of a thorough ass-kicking by a 'dumb' idiot'.

Unless of course he's suggesting that it wasn't luck that resulted in that objective being the important one, in which case I would have to assume that he was cheating.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Keast Kannegaard
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: I`ve almost done for...   Thu Mar 29 2018, 11:54

Well from your description it sounds like he planned for him to draw that objective 4 times which would imply cheating Razz
Tho i wouldnt go that far. He got lucky, and didnt want to face he got outplayed and got a lucky win, so to make him feel better about himself, he had to downplay the game, and through that insulted you. It's not nice, but happens in pretty much any competitive environment sadly.
You also see it in football, where the teams blame the field, ref. or the time of the day they play...

But with the coming Codex... Why not play him again and beat him with all the new stuff we got? Show him how you CAN play, if you bring the good stuff and not just a fun fluffy list (tho i see a lot of options for fluffy armies that will work nicely with the previews)?
You can finish him off with "Yea, last time I went easy on you...". Tho he will probably just say "Omg you just got the most broken army ever!". I bet people here will help make a list that's going to roflstomp him Razz That's kinda what we are here for Very Happy

But overall dont let people bully you out of the hobby Smile If anything, find another place to play at if possible Smile
Back to top Go down
RedRegicide
Wych

PostSubject: Re: I`ve almost done for...   Thu Mar 29 2018, 12:18

There's a special place in my lab for those kinds of people...

I'm glad you stayed! Smile

I had to take a break in 7th too. (about 6 months) I felt way better after

I just wouldn't go to your local tournaments. they are clearly toxic. Find a couple fun players and run a campaign or just play some Beerhammer.

Or avenge yourself like Keast suggested, the true kin way.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: I`ve almost done for...   Thu Mar 29 2018, 13:03

Well there's two sides to this.

One, you took a random/fluffy/not-optimized list to a tournament. You only have so much room to be upset at your losses. There's a big difference between having a competitive mindset and playing what you have well and being a Win-At-All-Costs player. Maybe you should see this as an opportunity to learn?

On the other hand, they are talking crap after beating a suboptimal list of an index army at a tournament. There's no reason for that. Maybe they were just playing around? One of my groups I played with did talk a lot of crap like that, but everyone knew it was all in good fun and no one meant anything by it. But if they were truly gloating at your expense, that's frankly pretty uncalled for.

You have a couple options the way I see it:

1. Quit
2. Find a new player group
3. Shut them up by getting better

Ultimately it's your life and your hobby, but I know what I'd do...

Rodi Sikni
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: I`ve almost done for...   Thu Mar 29 2018, 13:10

That just mean that you did a good job.

I like tournaments, i'm not a pro player but i have the fortune of can play against some of them. They usually play in a competitive way but never with pedantery or superiority. Someone like you describe it's simply stupid.

In Spain we have a expresion: "To be the rooster of the chiken coop" (i don't know if exist a similar english expresion), someone that show off and talk a lot in his usual enviroment and when other stands out he try to crush him, but if you remove it from that environment its mediocre.

Nex time you play against him, if you loose, simply smile give him the reason and ignore him. But if you win, aproach to other player and whisper any thing, look at him y laught casual. That players are like a children, if you do that you're going to make him feel insecure and he's going to get very angry.
Back to top Go down
Rhivan
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: I`ve almost done for...   Thu Mar 29 2018, 16:44

The English phrase I know is this "The bigger they are the harder they fall" Because when that ego and pride grows it just keeps getting them higher in the air, and all the more fun to watch them fall.

As for what you can do I'm with Chippen on this. But you did well as you only lost by pure chance... so now with a codex you'll be a lot scarier I'd say it'd be fun to see him squirm against you Smile
Back to top Go down
Devilogical
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: I`ve almost done for...   Fri Mar 30 2018, 10:24

Thanks for feedback everyone Razz Razz Razz

Succubus Ariel the Vengefull of the Wych cult Blade Denied to her sister, archon Elieae after the conquering Low Commoragh Dark spire.
Back to top Go down
PFI
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: I`ve almost done for...   Fri Mar 30 2018, 12:49

KInda related to topic but not at all related to 40k. I was playing warmachine in second its second mark. Played against a guy and destroyed him pretty good. If this makes sense he had an anti magic warcaster and I had a magic assassination list warcaster. In warmachine you win either through the objective or killing the opponent's caster and games frequently can end turn 1 or 2 back then, not sure about now for clarity.

So he wanted to play again. I beat him again and he got more salty. I shouldn't have agreed to a third game for next week. He really wanted to have a chance, had well painted models and didn't feel like he should lose. His warcaster even had a spell it could use where he would be immune to enemy spells which is how my list worked... so this is like a dude, you can play better kind of thing.

Anyways before the game I was browsing some forums the night before. I saw this one that peaked my interest on the cryx page about how to beat cryx. I read it and it is about beating the exact same list as mine. It's dawning on me that this is legit the guy I was playing and had posted both army lists and was looking for advice on how to win this game because he didn't want to lose to some "cheap" player paying some "cheap" army. It's his name as the username so I'm just like wut..

Anyways I wrote a long ass response to how to beat my army using his in every possible way which was very easy if you put any thought into it. Promptly lost the next game bad and quit playing warmachine. Unlike you OP I didn't get back in. I just got in because of the hype our 40k players were building up when they discovered it and felt like having a go. Did I care that I wasted money? Not really. I udnerstand when some fine gentleman kills your joy because they absolutely have to win.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I`ve almost done for...   

Back to top Go down

I`ve almost done for...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: