HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Burnage
Wych

PostSubject: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Sat Mar 17 2018, 18:59

Obviously this thread is soon to be redundant with the Codex, but I'm just curious - in the final month of using the Index - how people are currently finding us on the whole... Because I suck. I'm losing the vast majority of my games as Dark Eldar at the moment.

And I will fully admit that this could be because I'm a bad player. But as other players have had time to get used to their Codexes or even Index lists, it feels to me that we're not measuring up in the slightest. We do well in very specific circumstances; against high toughness, weak armour enemies and lists that bring some tanks or monstrous creatures (but not the number that, say, Imperial Guard bring). But outside of that? We just feel weak. If nothing else I'm utterly envious of the sheer amount of buffs and rerolls that other armies get to bring to the table.

So I guess this is just a sanity check for me, more than anything. How are the rest of you finding the Index now that the dust from 8th edition has begun to settle?
Back to top Go down
Ubernoob1
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Sat Mar 17 2018, 19:38

I've been doing alright against harlequins and craftworld eldar, same player for both, but I am also not facing anything close to what a lot of people might expect from craftworld right now relative to some recent high level tournaments. Not facing 15 dark reapers shining spears. And those are really the only factions I've played in quite some time, so I've not faced any of the other crazy things others here have talked about having to deal with.

I am however having trouble enjoying it though. Some of it is just me, but I am also quite envious of a number of craftworld units (and others from a lot of books...) and I think my "best" list thus far included 2 squads of 20 wyches and 2 squads of 20 kabalite warriors, and not one vehicle. It felt very odd to me...But I still won pretty badly, and have even done so with a full wych cult list (plus like a single cronos) against craftworld eldar so...as people point out, it IS possible.

But so far it's felt to me as nothing special the dark eldar units are doing and just raw numbers. Wyches aren't anything special, but 20 of them charging after shooting pistols with 20 kabalites also shooting into 2 squads of 5 fire dragons WILL kill them because that is simply too many dice to not kill those units. Darklight/Plasma grenades are quite useful against small squads of T3 models and even 5 wyches can usually deal with 5 dire avengers between a shooting phase and assault phase. Dark Lances are good, but that's mostly because they're not actually worse than an average anti-tank weapon (notice I say average, and not especially good).

I don't know if this even helped, but yeah I do still get where your question comes from. I'd very much like the codex ASAP...
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Sat Mar 17 2018, 19:42

I've been doing okay with the pure kabal Raiders/Ravagers spam. The key is to have at least 1 DL/dissie per 100pts of the game. Then, if you roll first, you can remove some key targets.

Once you remove the big toys, you're a little safer, and you can play your game, try to get victory points in objectives. Don't try to destroy infantry blobs, you just can't with Dark Eldar.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Sat Mar 17 2018, 19:50

Stopped playing till codex drops back in December.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Sat Mar 17 2018, 20:05

I've only had a few games with pure DE since 8th came out. Mostly against friends with less competitive lists because I know that our Index isn't the best.

I've had more games with Aeldari soup and have seen more success competitively once CW came out. My current list is running a Alaitoc Air Wing so supplement my offensive lance and alpha potential. Having Doom and Jinx in your army is going to be absolutely vital if you want to maintain momentum after the first alpha.

I think once the new book drops, depending on how our firepower improves, this will continue to be the way to play our faction. Our strengths when it comes to firepower is a tremendous amount of heavy weaponry for low price points. When you add in damage amplifiers like Doom and Jinx, that's when our book finally has a chance to shine.

Back to top Go down
http://lkhero.blogspot.com/
Colonel Cabbage
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Sun Mar 18 2018, 01:07

I’ve had a mixed time too. I’ve played quite a few games at this point, and I’d say I probably lost more than I’ve won, but again I’m not a great player. I’ve had a couple bad losses, and a couple strong wins, and a lot in the middle. The only outlier is that I somehow came 2nd and 4th in 2 local tournaments, which was baffling, but great.

The main thing seems to be to make sure you have enough Dark Light. You probably want about 10 sources. After that just make a balanced list of stuff you want to play. We aren’t that strong so concentrate on making the game fun. Also try to find a Nid player. Nid games always seem to be fun for both players.
Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Sun Mar 18 2018, 12:18

I played Tau (2k points), Necrons (2k points) and Primaris Salamanders (1500 points) this week.

None of the players brought "meta" lists. The lists used Venoms w/ Kabalites, Mandrakes, Archons, Court, Ravagers, Razorwing Jetfighters and a Voidraven to varying degrees.

Against the Tau and Necrons it was very one side in my favour. Pretty much tabled Tau by turn 3 barely losing anything. Completely tabled Necrons on turn 5. Had a super close maelstrom Sealed Orders game against the Primaris, just losing on points after 6 turns.

What can I infer from that small sample of games: in a non-competitive local meta you can do fine with a balanced list using our stronger units.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Sun Mar 18 2018, 16:39

I've had a ok time aswell. Mostly played AM, BA, Orkz and AdMech.
Had some problems with AM since it's hard to remove their scary guns since they're hidden in infantry squads. Have started to employ some wyches with some success. Problem I've had is that I've been taking them in too big squads so they just murder the guards and then get shot instead of keeping some models in combat.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Sun Mar 18 2018, 18:28

You think you should deploy witches in squads of....?
Back to top Go down
Colonel Cabbage
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Sun Mar 18 2018, 18:31

9, with a Succubus, in a Raider.
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Sun Mar 18 2018, 20:45

I prefer 10 (3 gauntlets) with a succubus running near the raider (with the movement drug). Gauntlets are the only thing making wyches somewhat good, i cannot go without 3.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Sun Mar 18 2018, 20:57

I haven't really used wyches this edition at all due to playing a Tau player and he tends to shoot my melee units quickly off the board if possibly. I did however have moderate success with beastpacks for a moment.

I had fairly good success with my DE including tabling a blood angel player more than once and I would say won more than I lost for the most part. I was running kabalites in a mix of venoms and raiders with razorwing and ravagers or reapers.

That said I haven't played with my DE much since December outside of a rematch with the Blood Angel player and a few 1k games for fun. I've been playing nids with GSC allies for the most part and enjoying it.

I am however looking forward to the codex to open up some units as better options.
Back to top Go down
Keast Kannegaard
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Sun Mar 18 2018, 20:58

20 Wyches from DS turn 2 or 3. 20 poison shots and 60 attacks for roughly 200 points.
Back to top Go down
Chippen
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Mon Mar 19 2018, 04:33

I've been playing some decently competitive players. After I bit the bullet and put in a small (Patrol) Craftworld detachment, it got way better as I didn't struggle so much with infantry killing. For me, I just took the "standard" competitive list and added a patrol of Autarch, 2x5 Scatbikes, and 2x5 Rangers. The extra board control from the rangers makes a huge difference.

Otherwise, you just have to play the killbox/range game for 2 turns then survive until the end and win on points.

Burnage
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Mon Mar 19 2018, 05:16

I will say I also do much better when running a Craftworld detachment as well - the Farseer's Doom in particular is a huge benefit.

It's just frustrating that even with just a small patrol detachment it feels like the allies are doing most of the heavy lifting.
Back to top Go down
FattimusMcGee
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Mon Mar 19 2018, 05:32

I'm doing *alright*. I got back into 8e about a month ago, started off with a full Drukhari list. I've had about ~10 games so far and have won about 3/5ths or so.. Off the top of my head the results were:

- Custodes - Tie (I'd have won T4, he got a T5 and got the obj. then I had to leave early so never got my retort; so I call it a tie Razz)
- Thousand Sons - Win
- AdMech + Drukhari versus IG + Tau - Win
- Thousand Sons #2 - Win
- Thousand Sons #3 - Lost
- Imperial Fists - Win
- DeathGuard - Lost
- Blood Angels - Win
- Imperial Knights - Lost (I went with Ynarri/Eldar Soup - Mostly me learning how to not forget Psyker powers every other turn as well as how to use Dark Reapers - if I had my pure DE it woulda been a win almost assuredly)

So I mean, not bad, not especially good. I feel like I'm forgetting a win somewhere but meh. I find going pure Drukhari actually does better than mixing in Ynarri or Eldar allies, *BUT* I've only had the one game so far and am still learning how to synergize - I guess what I mean to say is I'm confident when running DE but not so much otherwise.

Admittedly though, the competition is getting much more fierce as time goes on. I'm fighting lists with MUCH cheesier tactics/units than I'm capable of and it's an uphill battle from the get-go with those (IG w/Catachan bs, or DG with Forgeworld help - yikes!). That said, when I manage the alpha strike I have a 100% win-rate, so it's a deadly list, we just can't take an early beating as even one Ravager lost is like 20% of my (good) firepower gone.

So yeah, for an INDEX army I think we're actually pretty good. Versus Codex armies it's as expected BUT we can still win, whereas some other armies feel practically hopeless.

I'm really, really, really hopeful they don't frak us on the Codex and leave us as a backwater army. "Oh they don't sell though!" - It's because they have crap rules!!! Make the rules decent and people will buy more.

Anywho, I have a FW Reaper and Tantalus otw next month, so maybe that will help. Codex will be sexy fun timez though.
Back to top Go down
Barrywise
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Mon Mar 19 2018, 05:55

To celebrate my Tau friend’s recent purchase of a Y’Vahra I ran a Wych cult list agains him. It went about as well as you’d expect. Imagine if Helms Deep was invaded by 50 Uruks using rowboats as cover, instead of an army 10,000 strong. Oh and Smaug is on Flame Patrol.

I had fun. He had fun. That’s all that matters to me. Mission success.

Dark Eldar vs. Tau,
Final Score 6 to 9
Winner: Slaanesh

Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Mon Mar 19 2018, 15:02

I can't remember the last time I played 8th with Dark Eldar. Mostly I just play 7th edition and AoS. Winning with DE in 8th is virtually impossible against anyone with a codex who properly understands what they are doing.

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
clively
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Mon Mar 19 2018, 17:46

I've done alright using 3 Ravagers and 2 Reapers as the heavy hitters.  The big problem for me is that the units I really like, such as Reavers, are absolute garbage.  Last edition I could tear apart any marine list with a bit of proper strategy.  This edition I seem to have trouble removing even the basic marines.

I did run Ynnari for a month or so - although I did not jump on the Dark Reaper wagon.  Those games tended to be about 50/50 W/L.  

As a side note, I stopped playing DE a few weeks ago to try and make Grey Knights work. However, they have proven to be just as bad.  Rolling Eyes  Actually, they might be worse because they have an 8th ed codex...   This weekend my 4 year old asked when he was going to get an army.  I told him he could have the GK - hopefully they'll worth playing by the time he's old enough to play a full game with actual rules.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Tue Mar 20 2018, 02:43

I was doing decently early in the edition but I tried playing wyches last week in a small game and....not till the codex drops I think. I did just about as well as could be reasonably expected, jumping a unit of howling banshees, a unit of swooping harks, and a unit of shining Spears and killing all of them...then a second unit of Hawks, 3 ranger squads and a damaged wave serpent killed 100% of my infantry in a single decent round of shooting. 20 wyches and a succubus gone instantly.
Back to top Go down
FattimusMcGee
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Tue Mar 20 2018, 03:01

@the_scotsman wrote:
I was doing decently early in the edition but I tried playing wyches last week in a small game and....not till the codex drops I think. I did just about as well as could be reasonably expected, jumping a unit of howling banshees, a unit of swooping harks, and a unit of shining Spears and killing all of them...then a second unit of Hawks, 3 ranger squads and a damaged wave serpent killed 100% of my infantry in a single decent round of shooting. 20 wyches and a succubus gone instantly.

Hehe, yeah Wych Cults aren't too competitive sadly. I'm surprised you took out all their melee w/'em though!! That's pretty good, especially versus the Howling Banshees.

Kabals are where it's at, for now. Tbh I'm expecting some really good price drops as well as some crazy strategems to shore us up - Army wide -1-to-hit sort of stuff. What we **REALLY** need is ANY FRIGGIN FORM of re-roll. It's ridiculous how little of that we have versus oh, idk, Space Marines...

I still think we're decent for an INDEX army. When it comes to versus Codex we're one of the better INDEX armies (whereas the others just get clobbered). Once all the Codexes drop, GW should start dropping narrative units - hopefully then we'll get some new toys to play with.

Oh, and bring back splinter racks
Back to top Go down
Imateria
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Tue Mar 20 2018, 14:41

Shelved them. I'm in the middle of a fairly competitive league and I was the only Index list player left, the games were mostly me rolling dice and nothing happens, sure our Dark Lances mulched enemy vehicles and monsters fairly quickly but once they're gone I couldn't deal with the infantry, and I'm in a largely infantry heavy meta.

Whilst my Nids are a long way from being optomised at the moment, they are at least dishing out some pain in return.
Back to top Go down
Tzelok
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Tue Mar 20 2018, 20:40

I'm finding I can do "Alright" for the most part. I usually run 3 ravagers, 3 voidravens, 2 DL scourges, and the rest is some mix of mandrakes, incubi, medusae, the odd kabalite warrior, and appropriate transports for all.

My two most regular opponents are IG and Imperial Fists, I tend to eek out a win for the most part (usually based on objectives, and sometimes the guard player just tables me by turn 2).

I was at a tournament just before the custodes book came out and won 3/5 games. I lost to a deathguard list (Morty with a tzeentch demon prince to warp time him in my lines turn 1) and just barely lost to an imperial soup list, beat a pretty competitive CWE list, then destroyed two ork players.

I find that against more reasonable lists I can do alright, but when people bring hard things like daemon primarchs, then it's hard to cut the mustard.

I am waiting in earnest for the dex, but i'm still playing games and having fun!

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Thu Mar 22 2018, 10:32

im doing fine.... when i dont use wychs....

Gorefather
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   Fri Mar 23 2018, 02:04

I play Kabal with heavy Blasterborn and have been doing very well. I know it's a bit generic but I love the look of a formation of Venoms rushing down on the Mon'Keigh and watching them squirm as darklight erases units.

I do have a ton of Wych and Coven models in waiting though. I keep buying Pain Engines despite them being so lackluster. I just love them... I love them all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?   

Back to top Go down

Are any of you still doing well with Dark Eldar?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: