HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Uses of 'Ardcoat and Gloss Varnish on DE models

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sinister Intent
Slave

PostSubject: Uses of 'Ardcoat and Gloss Varnish on DE models   Wed Mar 07 2018, 21:37

So in recent weeks I've been toying with the notion of painting several elements of my army with 'Ardcoat or a similar gloss varnish, as to give these elements a "shinny" or "refractive" look.  I've seen numerous cases of reaver helmets getting a coat or two in order to create a glossy black (or colored) look but I'm curious if anyone has toyed around with this finish on vials for coven units and/or canopies of our winged craft.

I'm thinking about painting the canopies of a RWJF, Venom and Voidraven Bomber, but would like to know if anyone has had success with the tactic of applying gloss varnish over a black base coat and what the results looked like. Obviously pictures are great but before diving into this project head first, I figured I would pick the brains (figure of speech - sit down, haemonculi) of my fellow denizens as to the best approach to achieve my desired effects. Thanks in advance!

Wych Cult of the Cynical Blade

Coven of the Second Awakening

Frozen Death World Gaming Board - A Project Log

"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality."
Back to top Go down
clively
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Uses of 'Ardcoat and Gloss Varnish on DE models   Fri Apr 13 2018, 00:53

Vials yes.  Here’s a tutorial: https://youtu.be/5-BWaF1M5ps

For canopies there is a far far better way.  Paint the inside of the canopy your color(s) of choice.  Don’t paint the outside of the canopy at all.  The canopy will have a nice glossy finish. Wink

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Uses of 'Ardcoat and Gloss Varnish on DE models   Fri Apr 13 2018, 02:26

I use gloss varnish on all the vials on my kabalites and grotesques, as well as the blank-faced wych and reaver helmets. If you're not using one of the insta-gem colors and you're doing it yourself with blending, it also works great for the gems on Venoms and the likes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uses of 'Ardcoat and Gloss Varnish on DE models   

Back to top Go down

Uses of 'Ardcoat and Gloss Varnish on DE models
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: