HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals

Go down 

How will you choose your sub-faction trait?
The most powerful
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
The bonus that best suits my playstyle
72%
 72% [ 23 ]
The Kabal (Cult, Coven) that is closest to my colour scheme
9%
 9% [ 3 ]
The Kabal (Cult, Coven) whose fluff aligns most with mine
9%
 9% [ 3 ]
Whatever best suits the game I'm about to play
9%
 9% [ 3 ]
Other
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

AuthorMessage
Creeping Darkness
Wych

PostSubject: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 04:22

Hi denizens,

With the new codex teased, and the trend for notable sub-factions gaining specific traits, it seems likely that we'll have a meaningful choice in the new book. Presumably the Black Heart will get a nod, possibly the Prophets of Flesh... we don't know yet, of course.

But, it seems to me that a much higher proportion of Dark Eldar armies are from homegrown kabals, compared to the number of Eldar using their own craftworld or homegrown Space Marine chapters. So, suppose we get a choice of two or three (or more) notable Kabal traits, how will you decide which to align your Kabal with?

Feel free to chime in with your experience from having the same choice with other, already released armies, too!
Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
lament.config
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 04:49

It'll be interesting to see what they give us as options. Hopefully, it isn't just a blanket kabal, coven, and cult and the do specific ones.

If we get one that adds a -1 to hit it will be difficult to play anything other than that.

I'll add this, stratagems, and relics are what I'm most excited about in the coming codex as we are know that we will get these. Points cost and changes to weapons are just speculation at this point in time.
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 05:35

And if other codices are any indication if you play a homegrown kabal etc you won't get the stratagems and relics, just the sub faction specific trait.

So I fear for the homebrew kabals and wych cults.
I am not sure about gaining the Black Heart (since Vect is also not in it and with the upheaval of our proud city it is the moment for GW to change stuff).

I myself will pick what I like the lore off. Usually looking more at their attack style in the lore than the background (since well I do run a homebrew wych cult). And usually the attack style in the lore is often more or less reflected in the rule given. That being said I agree with Lament if they give us a -1 to hit as well that usually ends up being the best pick...
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 07:28

I doubt we will see a -1 to hit for vehicles because that way w would be super awesome. Maybe for infantry.
Which is funny, because not getting hit is actually our thing.
Back to top Go down
wormfromhell
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 08:58

@CptMetal wrote:
because not getting hit is actually our thing.
And yet many other armies do it better than us.

DISCLAIMER - I will not be liable for assassinations, gang warfare, murders, turf disputes, drug &/or weapon theft, petty theft, torture or any other actions. If you have any problems, you can take it up with my Incubi.

PLOG- Ghosts of the Webway
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 09:34

@wormfromhell wrote:
@CptMetal wrote:
because not getting hit is actually our thing.
And yet many other armies do it better than us.

Other armies are also faster than us, tougher than us, shootier than us, and better at melee than us, and better and psyker shenanegans than us. At the same time (looks at craftworld Eldar)

Doesn't matter. We are more skilled than them. We will out plan them, and outfight them. We have spent the majority of history with a bottom tier codex, but we have punched above our weight for all that time.

We are the Dark Eldar. The True Kin. We don't need an I win button. We don't need power. We don't need defense. We hobble our enemies with perfectly thought out strategies and unmatched target prioritization, then demolish whatever remains at our leisure. Being at the bottom just means we sharpen our skill to a razor's edge and cut the tendons of those above us to bring them to their knees.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 10:05

Spoken like a true Archon
Back to top Go down
Fl4iedSkul
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 10:50

This, quite obviously, doesn't matter to me. I just hope that A: The flayed skull perk is powerful and B: the flayed skull perk is very plane focused

Vrasque Malidrach needs an official character in game Mad
Back to top Go down
Creeping Darkness
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 11:07

|Meaver wrote:

And if other codices are any indication if you play a homegrown kabal etc you won't get the stratagems and relics, just the sub faction specific trait.

So I fear for the homebrew kabals and wych cults.

This is what I'm afraid of, too. I'd hate to see this move, which in theory is promoting the diversity of the Dark City, backfire and become "oh, yes, we used to be the Kabal of the Demented Moon, but now we're counts-as <the -1 to hit Kabal>."
Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
Mppqlmd
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 13:20

Depends on the game. Competitive play, i'd play the best strategy. Fluff and fun games, i'll play whatever i'm in the mood to play.

I'd love us to have a "reverse Alaitoc" doctrine : -1 to hit if we are within 12".

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 14:13

The fluff for our specific sub-factions is so bare-bones that I can't imagine choosing based upon that (and, I imagine, it's also why homegrown factions are so common).

Mostly I'll aim to be using the bonus which best fits my playstyle, but if there's one which is noticeably strong I'll use it in competitive play.
Back to top Go down
Devilogical
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 16:22

Well, i guess Blade denied not incleded in this perk\tech\skill page of the codex Sad

Succubus Ariel the Vengefull of the Wych cult Blade Denied to her sister, archon Elieae after the conquering Low Commoragh Dark spire.
Back to top Go down
Lord Asvaldir
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 17:23

@|Meavar wrote:

Honestly though who's really going to stop you from using the trait/stratagems/relics while using a homegrown kabal name? Nobody cares if you're paying your own kabal and just using say the kabal of the black heart rules because it best fits the lore of our kabal along with your playstyle. As long as you're using the rules fairly by just sticking to that one kabal's traits/stratagems/relics than who is anyone else to tell you that you can't use a specific kabals rules while making your own name and background for your kabal. You shouldn't be handicapped for being creative and making your own kabal, and I know for a fact that in my gaming group no one is going to care if I use whichever kabal rules I want while still making my own theme for my kabal.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Wed Feb 07 2018, 18:06

You can says "My kabal of the *insert cool name* was an active kabal until it tried to opposed a kabal Vect had his eyes on. As a retaliation, Vect infected the Archon of this kabal with the glass plague and putted ths kabal under the command of one of his trusted Archon. The statue of the fallen amused Vect for 2 weeks, before he went bored of it. It is now somewhere in the bottom of a polluted river, somewhere in low Commoragh"
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals   Thu Feb 08 2018, 06:54

@Lord Asvaldir wrote:
@|Meavar wrote:

Honestly though who's really going to stop you from using the trait/stratagems/relics while using a homegrown kabal name? Nobody cares if you're paying your own kabal and just using say the kabal of the black heart rules because it best fits the lore of our kabal along with your playstyle. As long as you're using the rules fairly by just sticking to that one kabal's traits/stratagems/relics than who is anyone else to tell you that you can't use a specific kabals rules while making your own name and background for your kabal. You shouldn't be handicapped for being creative and making your own kabal, and I know for a fact that in my gaming group no one is going to care if I use whichever kabal rules I want while still making my own theme for my kabal.

Usually no one minds.
Although there are 2 reasons why people might care. The first is the ever changing faction, one day black heart, the next the bladed lotus, and next time the jade knife. This seems to annoy people expecially if it is painted in a colour scheme of one faction and sometimes people then complain. This will be less an issue for us then for space marines where most people strongly associate the colour and faction together.

The other option and more relevant for the true kin, there are certain disambigous points where it does matter, because not all factions are neccesary equal.
If we look at imperial guard, the scion trait can be used for a home brew "normal" guard sub faction trait, but they would then not be allowed to take the tempestes stratagems and relics.
This might mean we can also use the trait of a kabal or coven for our wych cult, but then not be allowed to have the stratagems and relics. In this case I am perfectly fine with not having them, since it gives us more options to pick from.
Back to top Go down

Sub-faction traits and homegrown Kabals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: