HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Did the winner of LVO play Ynnari wrong?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dumpeal
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Did the winner of LVO play Ynnari wrong?   Tue Feb 06 2018, 19:06

It's just a poorly written rule that was nerfed but not rewritten. I don't think it's really worth lawyering on it. It's not like we were used to have good well-written rules to begin with.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Did the winner of LVO play Ynnari wrong?   Tue Feb 06 2018, 19:13

In March it will be re-written again anyways. Someone needs to email them about this tho so they add it into it.

It might be re-written now, better move fast!

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Did the winner of LVO play Ynnari wrong?   Tue Feb 06 2018, 20:09

@Count Adhemar wrote:
I don't see that they're prevented from doing anything as a friendly unit has not already made the same Soulburst action during your turn. They've just been picked to do so.
I think I'm leaning toward Squidmaster's position here.

The bit that prevents them from Soulbursting again is the line that says "A unit can only make a Soulburst action once per turn."

I'm willing to accept you could choose to do nothing, but that would still count as a Soulburst action, and prevent a later Soulburst from the same unit.

Perhaps I'm missing some of the subtleties here, but what is the advantage of holding out for a later Soulburst?

Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Did the winner of LVO play Ynnari wrong?   Tue Feb 06 2018, 23:33

@Kantalla wrote:
@Count Adhemar wrote:
I don't see that they're prevented from doing anything as a friendly unit has not already made the same Soulburst action during your turn. They've just been picked to do so.
I think I'm leaning toward Squidmaster's position here.

The bit that prevents them from Soulbursting again is the line that says "A unit can only make a Soulburst action once per turn."

I'm willing to accept you could choose to do nothing, but that would still count as a Soulburst action, and prevent a later Soulburst from the same unit.

Perhaps I'm missing some of the subtleties here, but what is the advantage of holding out for a later Soulburst?

This is not where it hurt. When soulburst have been nerfed, it says only 1 kind of soulburst is allowed per phase. It means in the shooting phase, if you kill a unit and have another unit inside of the 7 inches, it would HAVE to soulburst now, preventing any other unit from doing that soulburst in that round.
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Did the winner of LVO play Ynnari wrong?   Wed Feb 07 2018, 03:39

Actually it says per turn, rather than per phase.

As I see it if you kill a unit near say a unit of 5 Kabalites, you could decide not to carry out any action, but that unit of Kabalites would have used their Soulburst (to do nothing in this case). That wouldn't leave you stuck having had to shoot the Kabalites and not being then able to shoot a large Dark Reaper unit instead.

Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Did the winner of LVO play Ynnari wrong?   Wed Feb 07 2018, 03:49

I still say if you didnt pick an "action" it doesnt negate that unit from doing it later in the turn.

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Ikol
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Did the winner of LVO play Ynnari wrong?   Wed Feb 07 2018, 04:43

I think Amishprn and Adhemar are right in terms of RAI and how the rule should work.

I think Squidmaster is right about RAW and how the rule does work.

”Woe to our enemies.  We'll tear them apart regardless.” ~Barrywise
Back to top Go down
nerdelemental
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Did the winner of LVO play Ynnari wrong?   Fri Feb 23 2018, 12:10

I agree with amishprn86, Count, and others.
And, very apparently, what a high profile LVO player thinks of the rules, and the TO of the event, and his opponent:

Playing Ynnari. Something dies within 7" of multiple units. I pick one of my units (which may or may not be superfluous and moot if you do nothing). I then "do nothing" - no soulburst - essentially "pass". Something within 7" dies next unit activation. *NOW* I choose a target for soulburst and want to declare a soulburst action.
That's how it's played. At high profile games with attention and cameras rolling, understood and agreed upon by both players, TO's, and almost every other player in the universe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did the winner of LVO play Ynnari wrong?   

Back to top Go down

Did the winner of LVO play Ynnari wrong?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Rules: Queries & Questions
-
Jump to: