Share | 

Frozen Death World Gaming Board

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sinister Intent
Slave

PostSubject: Frozen Death World Gaming Board   Fri Feb 02 2018, 18:33

Greetings all,

The following is a log/showcase of some terrain and tables I am working on.  Truth be told, scenery and terrain is what originally got me into miniature painting so it seems fitting to catalog my advancements here along side my DE forces.  

Any and all critiques and suggestions are welcomed.  I try to incorporate unique elements that I haven't seen often - using techniques i've either developed over the years or seen done by some prominent YouTube scenery personalities.  That being said, if anyone has any questions about how to obtain the looks or results seen here, please don't hesitate to ask, as I would be happy to remove my Archon hat and share advice and techniques!

Anyways, here is the gaming board.  It's three (3) 2'x4', 1/4" MDF with 1.5"x.75" strapping to prevent any warping

The overall motif, if you will, of the board (world) was to be the outskirts of an abandoned imperial world utilized for its resources.  Given the alluring combination of humanoids and resources, this obviously made it a prime candidate for raiding parties of the Kabal of the Sinister Void - who did frequent the planet often  Twisted Evil   The good times did not last, however, as the planet became unstable and inhospitable as the insatiable humans rushed their harvesting practices, pushing the planet to its near breaking point.  This planetary instability is represented by a few "unique" rules while also adding some drama to games played on the surface.  The fracturing of the planet is represented in the fissures seen throughout the board while the remnants of the people that once inhabited and defended this world are also present.  Hope you guys enjoy!

Wych Cult of the Cynical Blade

Coven of the Second Awakening

Frozen Death World Gaming Board - A Project Log

"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality."
Back to top Go down
Sinister Intent
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Death World Gaming Board   Wed Feb 07 2018, 18:40

So a few additions have been made to the scatter terrain of the board since my last post.  Below are some WIP pics of a poster-board building where you can see the techniques used to establish, what I think to be rather realistic looking, crumbling concrete.  Its a simple design and my first attempt at built-from-scratch buildings but i'm rather happy with the initial results.  The piece is based on 1/4" MDF and fits into a "modular slot" on the gaming board.  This will hopefully translate into a more cohesive looking feature when finished while also allowing for easier storing of the 2'x4' boards.  The building was sealed/textured with watered down filler/joint compound not only to protect it but to add some "concrete-like" texture to the build.  The piece was then primed black with the addition of surface gravel and texture coming soon.

Next up is a piece made to represent an abandoned front-line fortification.  It's entirely made from poster-board, Popsicle sticks, cardboard, toothpicks and modeling putty.  The piece has been textured with the same joint compound to achieve a concrete look while the putty that was applied post-priming will likely remain white and be covered in snow effects to represent snow drifts against the walls of the fortification.  The whole feature is based on expanded PVC board.  It's a material used for commercial advertising by companies like Fast Signs and Staples and is immune to warping while still remaining stiff enough to support terrain features.  I picked up some scraps from a local Fast Signs shop for free and it has quickly become my go-to for basing terrain.  Anyways, enough of that, hope you enjoy the pics below and stay tuned for more works to come!

Wych Cult of the Cynical Blade

Coven of the Second Awakening

Frozen Death World Gaming Board - A Project Log

"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality."
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Ivan
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Death World Gaming Board   Wed Feb 07 2018, 18:46

Awesome work!!
Back to top Go down
Von Snabel
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Frozen Death World Gaming Board   Yesterday at 11:46

God that's awesome!
Been trying to make a bunker, but was gonna sculpt the barracade with some clay. Man was that the wrong route, your solution is ALOT better. And it looks fantastic. Gj mate!
Back to top Go down

Frozen Death World Gaming Board
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Distractions
-
Jump to: