HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
zelatar
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 00:31

Hey Everyone,

I'm curious what media besides actual 40K-related novels, fanfic, video games etc. you've found inspiring in some way or another with regard to your Drukhari armies. The reason I ask is because I'm currently reading Hellbound Hearts and thought of you guys, lol.

Hellbound is an anthology of short stories that either directly or thematically share ground with Clive Barker's novella The Hellbound Heart, from which was adapted into the movie Hellraiser. There's obviously plenty of flavorful similarities between Barker's cenobites and the Drukhari. Even based on the half dozen stories I've read so far, I would highly recommend the anthology as inspiration / to fans of DE.

Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 00:34

IDK about DE, but Event Horizon and Ghost of Mars are basically 40k movies about going through a warp gate/webway turning to Chaos.

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
zelatar
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 00:37

That's a great point actually, might be better to just open it up to *anything* appropriately grimdark and evocative.

I can't stand it, personally, but Event Horizon is another good one that would fall into this category. I'll need to rewatch Ghosts of Mars, haven't seen it since it first game out.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 02:53

I've always felt The Wild Hunt from Witcher 3 had a DE vibe.
Guys in gigantic spikey sets of armor leaping through dimensions on a big pirate ship to raid the world.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 03:40

Kabalite warriors, hellions, Archon, dais of destruction are all found in He-Man Masters of the Universe movie. They even appear out of webway portals. Watch it... you’ll be surprised at how close they are related.

They even use an agonizer....
Back to top Go down
Rhivan
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 05:05

While still Warhammer I like to take inspiration from the Druchii and the Vampire Counts and try to combine them with the Dark Eldar for a theme that fits what I want to play in 40k. Vampire Dark Elves in sphess. Razz
Back to top Go down
Shadow Reiver
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 07:11

Dark Elves / Eldar are based on Michael Moorcock's Melniboneans, which GW produced miniatures and an RPG for before Warhammer existed.
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 11:48

@zelatar wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I'm curious what media besides actual 40K-related novels, fanfic, video games etc. you've found inspiring in some way or another with regard to your Drukhari armies. The reason I ask is because I'm currently reading Hellbound Hearts and thought of you guys, lol.

Hellbound is an anthology of short stories that either directly or thematically share ground with Clive Barker's novella The Hellbound Heart, from which was adapted into the movie Hellraiser. There's obviously plenty of flavorful similarities between Barker's cenobites and the Drukhari. Even based on the half dozen stories I've read so far, I would highly recommend the anthology as inspiration / to fans of DE.

Yeah, I also found inspiration in Hellraiser for my Coven. FYI, there was also a comic series about Hellraiser that you might want to read into.

Apart from that, I recommend anything from HP Lovecraft. I thought "From Beyond" was a nice movie in terms of inspiration. But I think I can recommend some books of HP Lovecraft in general.

For me, a big appeal of the Dark Eldar came from the lovecraftian elements. Horrors that exceed imagination and perception and lurk between dimensions. I think the shadow realm of Aelindrach has a huge potential in that regard.

amishprn86
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 12:15

Oh, i love the Hellraiser movies.

You can also look at the 3? (maybe 4 now) Feast movies. Its basically Ur-ghuls killing people

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Ivan
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 12:43

The cube is pretty dark, could definitely see the DE building something like that to amuse themselves with.
Back to top Go down
SushiBoy013
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 12:49

Blade Runner has been the inspiration for my Cult paint schemes. Neon lights on a black/dark backdrop? People zipping through massive cities on hovering vehicles. To me, there is a lot - aesthetically - to pull from Blade Runner for Dark Eldar.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 12:52

Our vehicles are a lot sleeker, obviously, but there's a lot of possible inspiration to be drawn from Fury Road.

I've also been told that a Haemonculus conversion of mine looks like it's ripped from Ghost in the Shell, which I'm 100% okay with.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 12:56

@Burnage wrote:
Our vehicles are a lot sleeker, obviously, but there's a lot of possible inspiration to be drawn from Fury Road.

I've also been told that a Haemonculus conversion of mine looks like it's ripped from Ghost in the Shell, which I'm 100% okay with.

Loved that movies, basing my DE on it.

I need to.. redo this, but its the Doubl stack vehicle for Immortan Joe, I need ot make an Archon that looks like him.

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 14:39

@TheBaconPope wrote:
I've always felt The Wild Hunt from Witcher 3 had a DE vibe.
Guys in gigantic spikey sets of armor leaping through dimensions on a big pirate ship to raid the world.

Completely agree with this.

I'll add another vote for Hellraiser - the Cenobytes really are Dark Eldar to the core, and likely a massive inspiration for the entire army.

Looking at Fantasy, I'd say the Malus Darkblade comics and novels are a great source of inspiration to work from.

Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Marrath
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 16:20

I can recommend The War Of The Spider Queen.
A series of 6 novels about the Drow (D&D's Dark Elves) but not about Drizzt(one of the few "face"-Drow) so it's mostly pure evil.
It's fantasy, not Sci-Fi, but quite grimdark, and one of the most entertaining series i've read so far(twice).

Vindicavi
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 21:10

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned one of the clearest source materials for the dark eldar/elves; Elric of Melnibone, there are two graphic novels and several full novels.  

The graphics novels are absolutely fantastic, I can't recommend them enough its Dark Eldar society exactly; horrible torture, political schemes and disregard/sacrifice of the lives of the lesser races. Though they do worship and enslave daemons so slight more akin to the fantasy version than 40k. I believe there is one point they murder a village for saying the name of their race incorrectly, which I believe Phil Kelly gave a nod to with the fluff of our beloved Duke (RIP). The style is gorgeous and the artwork inspired me to re-paint my Archon to match Elric's armour.  

Back to top Go down
Von Snabel
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 21:20

Oh my, 2 Rpgs i've played was apperently set in that universe (Stormbringer and Drakar och Demoner) without me even knpwing of it. Should really pick that series up then.
Back to top Go down
Vindicavi
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 21:40

The only problem with the graphic novels is that there are only two. I'm praying for more but I'm not sure if we will be seeing any sadly. You won't regret picking up a copy. The names are: The Ruby Throne and Stormbringer for those of you looking for them.
Back to top Go down
Gherma
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Mon Jan 29 2018, 22:11

I always thought that there is a lot of Dune in dark eldars (and in WH40K in general). Poisons, light reflexes, cruel tyrants... and Bene Tleilax is pretty much an Haemonculus Coven... resuscitation and body modifications included.

And anyway ANY person slightly interested in sci-if should read Dune!

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Tue Jan 30 2018, 04:42

@Vindicavi wrote:
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned one of the clearest source materials for the dark eldar/elves; Elric of Melnibone, there are two graphic novels and several full novels.

Umm... look 9 posts above yours:

@Shadow Reiver wrote:
Dark Elves / Eldar are based on Michael Moorcock's Melniboneans, which GW produced miniatures and an RPG for before Warhammer existed.
Back to top Go down
Vindicavi
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Tue Jan 30 2018, 07:00

@Shadow Reiver wrote:
@Vindicavi wrote:

Umm... look 9 posts above yours:

@Shadow Reiver wrote:

My apologies, I must have missed your comment.
Back to top Go down
Shadow Reiver
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Tue Jan 30 2018, 07:28

No problem - I just realized my one-line response probably got lost in all the other text, so added an avatar to make my posts stand out in the future.  It's nice to see your reference to the graphic novel - it's the best art I've seen on the subject.
Back to top Go down
Coopertron
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Tue Jan 30 2018, 19:05

I thought the reavers from firefly/serenity, although human, had a nice resemblance to the DE

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Tue Jan 30 2018, 19:46

Perhaps one of the greatest mad scientists that could teach the Commorite Haemonculi a thing or two: the nanotech expert Desty Nova from Battle Angel Alita manga series, pictured here with his back-up system against decapitations:

It was eerie to read the series after having had a specific idea of what a haemonculus is, even written stories with such character in mind and then have this guy show up at the middle of the story, hitting all the right notes and absolutely stealing the show with his unrepentant villainy that he pulls off in a strangely charming and enthusiastic way, as really, he's merely the personification of the madness that lurks in the hearts of many men.

There's plenty of other desperate and shady characters in the Scrapyard and beyond that the series displays. Augmented to inhumanity killer-racers, drug-augmented super soldiers that are wimpy, crying wrecks before their combat drug dose, supertech weaponry and cruel, violent and desperate battles that would serve as a grand spectacle in any Commorite arena.

Well worth checking out.

dumpeal
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   Tue Jan 30 2018, 20:16

I always thought the Wraiths in stargate atlantis are much like the Dark Eldars. Lightning raids to take humans. Use their lifeforce to heal themselves. they are close to tyranids too, because their ships are alive, but...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?   

Back to top Go down

Movies, games, comics, other media for Drukhari inspiration?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: