HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SushiBoy013
Sybarite

PostSubject: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Fri Nov 24 2017, 22:57

With 8th edition, there has been a bit of story progression with regards to Space Marines/Imperium, and Chaos Space Marines (i.e. return of Primarchs, etc...). Games-workshop has historically focused any progressive story-building around Imperium.

Within the world of 40k, are we too niche to hope for this? Frankly, I've always thought our race was particularly great as a plot device for throwing the 40k universe into disarray and would love to see some sort of plot development around Vect pushing to consolidate the factions across the webway with some grand scheme to up the carnage on real-space to 11.

My question is this: what does the group think the likelihood is that we some story development around The Dark City and our beloved Dark Eldar?

Is GW too focused on the Space Marine/Chaos Space Marine narrative to pull the larger universe into the progressive story???

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Fri Nov 24 2017, 23:02

Yes; No; Yes.
Back to top Go down
RedRegicide
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Fri Nov 24 2017, 23:28

See I thought Commorragh was destroyed by demons after the gate broke. I didn't follow the new fluff b/c it honestly wasnt very strong.

If thats the case, I'd like to see vect find us a new base of operations, or maybe someone usurp vect for failing us...

Wych

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Fri Nov 24 2017, 23:42

Tyranids didn't progress much, fluffwise.
Take that as you will.

Mppqlmd
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Sat Nov 25 2017, 00:20

The Imperium is currently busy fighting Demons.

Please take place behind every other Xenos faction that would like to have the plot focused on them.

Estimated waiting time : 16 editions.

You thank you for your comprehension.

Don't forget to forge your narrative on a daily basis.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Sat Nov 25 2017, 00:30

Ha, yeah I know...I'm very familiar with GW standard operating procedure. I suppose I've remained hopeful simply because GW looks like its business model, etc...have seen some changes over the past 1.5 years.

Incubi

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Sat Nov 25 2017, 00:32

Given the current writing standard, their lack of lore progression with the Dark Eldar has been a boon.

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
merse24
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Sat Nov 25 2017, 05:33

I never once read the lore on Ynnari, but is that not the intention of the fracture of Biel-Tan, to further the lore of both CWE and DE?

I honestly could be way off here, but that was always my impression of it. Maybe I should actually go read it
Back to top Go down
lament.config
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Sat Nov 25 2017, 06:19

@RedRegicide wrote:
See I thought Commorragh was destroyed by demons after the gate broke. I didn't follow the new fluff b/c it honestly wasnt very strong.

If thats the case, I'd like to see vect find us a new base of operations, or maybe someone usurp vect for failing us...

Nope. The gate issue was sealed with help from Kheradruakh (the Decapitator) after he took the head of Archon Sythrac one of Vect's right hand men and creation of Phil Kelly author of the 5ed codex. By taking the last 'perfect' skull he needed (a throw back to his lore which has been around since 3rd) he opened a gateway to the dimension of the mandrakes and they took the lower realms of Commorragh as their shadow kingdom.

In other news, a few lictors escaped into Commorragh in the new Nids codex. That could be a problem considering that the haemonculii covens stole an entire planet that was full of Nids or it could mean nothing.

Either way, I thought it was cool they brought in Kheradruakh to finally do something with that pile of skills he's been working on since DE existed. I wouldn't mind a new mandrake style unit if GW wanted to gift us with one..or bring him back as a character.
Back to top Go down
lament.config
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Sat Nov 25 2017, 06:24

@merse24 wrote:
I never once read the lore on Ynnari, but is that not the intention of the fracture of Biel-Tan, to further the lore of both CWE and DE?

I honestly could be way off here, but that was always my impression of it.  Maybe I should actually go read it

It did but, it also didn't. Commorragh is still the same vile hole it has always been and Biel-Tan still exists. The book was more about introducing a new faction and the Eldar god of the dead has been awakened as well. I expect we will eventually get more from that down the road of GW decides to flesh out Ynnari forces or maybe not. Hard to say really.
Back to top Go down
Ikol
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Sat Nov 25 2017, 10:33

@lament.config wrote:
@merse24 wrote:

I honestly could be way off here, but that was always my impression of it.  Maybe I should actually go read it

It did but, it also didn't. Commorragh is still the same vile hole it has always been and Biel-Tan still exists. The book was more about introducing a new faction and the Eldar god of the dead has been awakened as well. I expect we will eventually get more from that down the road of GW decides to flesh out Ynnari forces or maybe not. Hard to say really.

The Fracture of Biel Tan consisted a poorly written narrative in which little miss Mary Sue (Yvraine) flew around the galaxy and 'resolved' a bunch of the minor plot points hinted at in the CWE, DE and Harlequin codices of 7th ed, ignored and/or retconned the brilliant plot and set up of the major issue and war in Commoragh over the Black Gate (I was really hoping that the Gate would be where the bloody thing started once I found out we were in Commoragh).

Kicked Eldrad Ulthran off of the council of Ulthwe in 1/2 a page of text and never mentioned it again.

Wrote itself into a corner with Tzeench itself showing up as an enemy, and then using some DC comics level BSerry to get out of it.

It was not a good book, and the quality of the writing approached that of C.S. Grotto's works with a touch of M. Ward thrown in.

But it also consisted of some very powerful rules, though.

”Woe to our enemies.  We'll tear them apart regardless.” ~Barrywise
Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Sat Nov 25 2017, 14:47

Quote :
It was not a good book, and the quality of the writing approached that of C.S. Grotto's works with a touch of M. Ward thrown in.

I don't hate the faction, but the entire thing read like a bad fanfiction.

Kheradruakh just kinda shows up, takes the Archon's skull, and starts the Mandrake incursion that invades half of the city, in two paragraphs.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Mon Dec 18 2017, 22:26

Agreed, Fracture was terribly written. Half the people on this forum could have done better with a bottle of scotch and a 48 hour deadline.

I didnt see the part about the breach getting sealed though, Im guessing that was Part 3 of the series?
Back to top Go down
SushiBoy013
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Tue Dec 19 2017, 00:21

@fisheyes wrote:
Agreed, Fracture was terribly written. Half the people on this forum could have done better with a bottle of scotch and a 48 hour deadline.

I didnt see the part about the breach getting sealed though, Im guessing that was Part 3 of the series?

I don't know if I read that it was actually sealed, only that a rift for mandrakes also opened and the Decapitator took advantage of the situation, carving out his slice of the dark city.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Tue Dec 19 2017, 00:49

Lictors on the streets of Commoragh? Mandrakes carving parts of our dark city off for themselves? True Kin defecting to the idolatry of Ynarri worship?

Clearly Vect has lost the plot. There's only one Drukhari with the strength of will to bring us through these troubled times.

All hail Lady Malys! Long live the revolution!
Back to top Go down
http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
SushiBoy013
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Tue Dec 19 2017, 01:25

@Creeping Darkness wrote:
Lictors on the streets of Commoragh? Mandrakes carving parts of our dark city off for themselves? True Kin defecting to the idolatry of Ynarri worship?

Clearly Vect has lost the plot. There's only one Drukhari with the strength of will to bring us through these troubled times.

Personally, I love it...this is Dark Eldar at their finest. Where any other faction would look at this as a horrendous catastrophe (well...maybe not Orks)...Dark Eldar see only opportunity. Also allows for some interesting plot development with Vect. I love it all!

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Tue Dec 19 2017, 14:36

Personally I think they need to make a decision on direction. Either the majority of drukhari decide to follow yvraine ( which I’m not entirely opposed to ) or they need to bring Vect and Malys back with a vengeance. The latter means we actually get models. Also, given the fact that the number one reason we haven’t had psykers is because Vect outlawed them to protect the Dark City, I think a few psykers ought to be in the cards.

#MDGA

Wych

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Tue Dec 19 2017, 14:41

@Creeping Darkness wrote:

I would be cautious saying things like that. With all that chaos in the streets, a little ... accident... would go unnoticed.
Back to top Go down
Burnage
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Tue Dec 19 2017, 15:06

@clively wrote:
Personally I think they need to make a decision on direction.  Either the majority of drukhari decide to follow yvraine ( which I’m not entirely opposed to ) or they need to bring Vect and Malys back with a vengeance.  The latter means we actually get models.   Also, given the fact that the number one reason we haven’t had psykers is because Vect outlawed them to protect the Dark City, I think a few psykers ought to be in the cards.

#MDGA

I'm guessing that it'd be incredibly divisive but I'd absolutely love for us to get a Darkseer of some kind. If nothing else, missing out on the psychic phase entirely seems like a huge drawback in this edition.
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Tue Dec 19 2017, 18:05

With how the game evolved and how our story progressed, I honestly wouldn't mind. With Commorragh being scattered, there is little "law enforcement" that keeps psykers at bay.

I'd prefer if our Haemonculi became Psyker substitutes (you know, with their technology bordering on magic). But I wouldn't say no to a Doomseer either.

dumpeal
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Tue Dec 19 2017, 19:23

I always thought our power from pain should have worked much like psyckers, during psycker phase.
Back to top Go down
Archon_91
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Tue Dec 19 2017, 19:58

Reading what lore I have I was under the impression that ALL dark eldar technology was so advanced it bordered on magic ... And even with Vect bringing into law that absolutely no psychers are allowed on the city it seems extremely unlikely that he would be able to reenforce that law everywhere in all the sub realms and pocket dimensions that make up Commorragh ... Especially as it is mentioned that he has gone out of his way to isolate and forget parts of the city in pocket dimensions or collapses on the webway ... With the chaos that came out the fracturing of Beil-tan (yes a lot of you hate it but sadly it's official GW cannon so we have to deal with it) it would seem to me a good time for those to open up and thrive in the chaos ... Besides they set up a way for psychers to become a thing in dark eldar society, the gate fractured and a massive blast of psychic energy tore through Commorragh, possiblity awakening long dormant abilities in the most susceptible True Kin ... Some fall to chaos (introducing new models for them and us) while others gain untamed power to rival even the strongest of the eldar farseers, the difference being that it is undisciplined ...
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Tue Dec 19 2017, 22:27

I prefer my DE without psykers, but with enough cool tricks and raw skill to compensate and then some.
Back to top Go down
SushiBoy013
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Tue Dec 19 2017, 23:19

@FuelDrop wrote:
I prefer my DE without psykers, but with enough cool tricks and raw skill to compensate and then some.

I can go either way. I would be fine with viable lore supporting the use of psykers. I think I would like appropriate compensation for not partaking in the psychic phase over all of a sudden having psykers, but I wouldn't be up in arms if we got them either.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression   Tue Dec 19 2017, 23:25

I hope if they go psykers, it should be aelendrach psykers, mandrakes should be our mystical side. Ties in with the lore for the growth, the decapitator finally bringing in a gateway which allows more of his minions in, and stops vect having complete authority over them.

I also want a giant night squid from them too, in the path of the archon they have giant tentacles grabbing things from their dimension. We need a shadow kraken!
Back to top Go down

8th Edition Codex and Dark Eldar Story Progression
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: