HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

2k Aeldari vs Tyranid/Genestealer/Guard

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Burnage
Wych

PostSubject: 2k Aeldari vs Tyranid/Genestealer/Guard   Mon Oct 16 2017, 16:34

Just a report about a game I had this weekend, because I was up against an army that I've not seen much discussion of - a Tyranid/Genestealer Cult/Imperial Guard mash-up.

AELDARI:
Aeldari Battalion:
Farseer Skyrunner w/ Guide, Doom, Singing Spear
Warlock Skyrunner w/ Conceal/Reveal
5 x Kabalites w/ Blaster + Agoniser
5 x Kabalites w/ Blaster
5 x Kabalites w/ Blaster
5 x Kabalites w/ Blaster
Ravager w/ 3 x Disintegrators
Ravager w/ 3 x Dark Lances
Ravager w/ 3 x Dark Lances
Venom w/ 2 x Splinter Cannons

Ynnari Outriders:
Yvraine w/ Word of the Phoenix, Ancestor's Grace
5 x Scourges w/ 4 Dark Lances
5 x Scourges w/ 4 Dark Lances
6 x Windriders w/ 6 Scatter Lasers

TYRANID/GENESTEALER/IMPERIAL GUARD:
Tyranid Battalion:
Hive Tyrant w/ Wings, Adrenal Glands
Old One Eye
Mawloc
Mawloc
Mawloc
Ripper Swarm
Ripper Swarm
Ripper Swarm

Genestealer Cult Patrol:
Patriarch (Warlord)
Primus Psyker
~15 x Genestealers
~15 x Hybrid Acolytes

Imperial Guard Spearhead:
Company Commander
3 x Heavy Weapons Squad w/ Mortars
3 x Basilisks
Manticore

THE MISSION:
Shadow of War, with a -1 to hit over 18 inches and secret objectives. I figured I'd make the conscious decision to not make his gunline a priority, as with the mission's special rules, the Venom's Hard To Hit and Conceal I'd be mostly safe. The objectives were spread out pretty evenly across the table.

DEPLOYMENT:
My opponent picked the deployment zone and chose Front Line Assault, one that allowed him to close as quickly as possible. He set up about half of his units in reserve, his Hive Tyrant and Old One Eye as close as he could to me, and then a gunline at the back featuring the Mortars, Chimera and Basilisk. Importantly, he parked two of his tanks on two objectives. I set up in a defensive huddle, with the HQ surrounded by the Windriders and then the Windriders surrounded by Venoms and Ravagers. I kept the Scourges in reserve.

He won the roll-off for first turn, and with that the game began.

TYRANID/CULT/GUARD TURN 1:
And this is when most of his army actually appeared. He got a 6 for the Cult Ambush roll of his Genestealers and Patriarch, so they set up next to a Venom and two Ravagers. He didn't roll quite as highly for his Acolytes and Primus, getting a 4, and he choose to set them up in the middle of the board. The Mawlocs popped up near the third Ravager, dealing a total of 7 (!) mortal wounds to it, and a unit of Rippers went onto one of the objectives in my deployment zone.

His psychic phase didn't go well - the Farseer and Yvraine did overtime denying the witch - and in the shooting phase he managed to blow up the damaged Ravager with his gunline and take some wounds off a few other vehicles, as well as killing one of the Windriders. Luckily for me, the death of the Ravager triggered Strength From Death and allowed the Windriders to take some shots at the Genestealers, killing about three of them. Unluckily for me, those Genestealers then charged into a Venom and the remaining Ravagers, while the Hive Tyrant charged one of the Ravagers as well. The Venom was destroyed and exploded (although everyone on board got out safely), while one of the Ravagers was also destroyed and another was left with a single wound.

Not a great start for me.

AELDARI TURN 1:
An even worse start for me; upon getting my tactical objectives, they were almost all to secure the objectives in my opponent's deployment zone that had tanks sitting on them. One, however, was to control the objective in my deployment zone... that currently had a horde of Genestealers on it.

I decided that the best course of action here would probably be to leg it, so the whole army except for the Venomless Kabalites moved away from the Genestealer Cult units towards a corner of the board (passing the Mawlocs on the way). I deployed both Scourge units at this point, but thanks to the Rippers, Mawlocs and Old One Eye I wasn't able to position them very close to rest of the army and settled for them trying to (unsuccessfully) hide behind a piece of cover on one of the middle edges of the board.

The psychic phase went okay here, although the Farseer's Guide (for the Windriders) and Doom (for the Patriarch) failed to cast. Word of the Phoenix was given to the Windriders, as the Scourges were out of Yvraine's range, and they shot at the Genestealer squad, killing a few more of them. In the actual shooting phase, everything focus-fired on the Mawlocs, leading to their eventual death.

The Kabalites, being plucky little frak, charged the Patriarch. They did no damage to him, and he killed them all... except the Sybarite successfully made his Power From Pain save and held on by a thread, also successfully passing his Leadership test.

TYRANID/CULT/GUARD TURN 2:
Pretty expected stuff here. The remaining Tyranid and Cult units surged forward, except for the Hive Tyrant which moved towards an objective and the Patriarch which was locked in combat and decided not to fall back. The Patriarch tried to Smite the Sybarite, but was denied by Yvraine. In the Shooting phase one of the units of Scourges got wiped out completely (granting the other unit a SfD shot at Old One Eye, which dealt some damage) and some wounds got knocked off a Venom. The Genestealers and Hybrids charged the wounded Venom, destroying it - and again, everyone inside got out safely.

AELDARI TURN 2:
I started running up the board here with my huddle, spreading the Venomless Kabalites out to act as a screen to prevent charges from behind. My psychic buffs all went off except for Doom, and with shooting I cut down most of the remaining Genestealers and Hybrids. The Scourges took a few more wounds off Old One Eye, as well. In combat, the Sybarite tried his best, but the Patriarch swatted him down.

TYRANID/CULT/GUARD TURN 3:
The Patriarch ran towards a centre objective and Old One Eye moved closer towards my huddle. The Shooting phase completely wiped out the Scourges and almost all of my remaining Venoms.

AELDARI TURN 3:
With the Genestealers dead, the Venomless Kabalites moved to control one of my key objectives. At this point I was firing almost everything that I had at either Old One Eye or the Patriarch, yet they still clung on to life.

TYRANID/CULT/GUARD TURN 4:
The Hive Tyrant jumped over to Yvraine. Shooting at this point killed off my Windriders, as my opponent used the mission's Strategem to ignore the -1 to hit on them for the turn. Old One Eye charged and finished off the remaining Venom, while the Hive Tyrant charged Yvraine and didn't manage to kill her.

AELDARI TURN 4:
Finally I could draw another objective card. Unfortunately for me, it was yet another mission to control one of the objectives that had a tank sitting on it. Most of my surviving army moved over towards the Patriarch, shooting either it or Old One Eye to not much success. Some Kabalites, the Farseer and Warlock also charged the Patriarch, again failing to kill it and instead taking a few wounds in retaliation. Yvraine finished off the Hive Tyrant (which honestly surprised me).

TYRANID/CULT/GUARD TURN 5:
The Patriarch withdrew from combat and tried to hide in some ruins. Then the absolute standout performance for the entire game took place, as my Warlock in an incredible display of luck managed to soak up an entire turn of shooting without losing his only remaining wound. Old One Eye charged Yvraine, and like the Hive Tyrant before it lost.

AELDARI TURN 5:
By this point my units were looking very thin on the ground; the Psychic and Shooting phases didn't accomplish much. With shooting, the Sybarites, Farseer and Warlock killed the Patriarch, and the Warlock charged a Mortar team, successfully killing a model. Yvraine charged a Ripper swarm that had been hiding in a ruin next to the centre objective, killing one - the rest of the unit failed its leadership test and fled.

TYRANID/CULT/GUARD TURN 6:
Shooting finished off the Warlock and Farseer. The Primus and a couple of remaining Hybrids charged and killed the two Sybarites in close combat.

AELDARI TURN 6:
Not much for me to do here. With only Yvraine left on the board, I decided to go out in a blaze of glory and charged one of the Mortar teams with her. She killed one of them, but the unit stayed alive.

TYRANID/CULT/GUARD TURN 7:
The remaining Mortar squad withdrew from combat, and the rest of the army shot Yvraine to death.

END RESULTS:
I got completely tabled, with my opponent having roughly 500 points still left on the board (9 mortars, the four tanks, a Hybrid model, the Primus and some Rippers). Victory points were approximately 18-2, to the Tyranid/GSC/Guard list.

THOUGHTS:
The end results look bad, but the game itself felt fairly close. My opponent had some phenomenal early luck - getting first turn, being able to charge immediately with his Genestealers and Patriarch, poor rolling on my part (I think I managed to get a single Doom off all game) - as well as a huge number of bodies that were capable of tying up objectives for the whole game. I also had pretty poor luck with my objective drawing; for three out of four I'd have had to chew through his entire gunline to get them. I perhaps could have been slightly more aggressive in taking out that backline, but the mission special rules and Yvraine being on foot made that difficult. I could have flown most of my army towards them, but that would have left my warlord very exposed.

This game also made me really value the Scourge's Deep Strike ability. My three Ravagers were almost all wiped out in the first turn, and I only managed to fire with one (at 5+ to hit thanks to degradation!) in the whole game. The Scourges being able to ignore an alpha strike entirely is really, really valuable.

Overall, there's very little about the list that I took that I'd want to change. Ideally I'd like to focus more on capturing objectives, but I found that difficult against an opponent that could cover so much of the board.
Back to top Go down
Silverglade
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 2k Aeldari vs Tyranid/Genestealer/Guard   Mon Oct 16 2017, 19:54

This is one of the things I hate about 8th ed. (lots I love, but some things I hate). Anyone that would play an army of guard + Nids deserves a punch in the face. Totally cheese. Just taking whatever you like from whatever army you like. *shakes head*

Part of your issue was that your army selection limited the utility of your psychic phase. The farseer and warlock could only benefit the windriders. So limited options for them on how to buff.

You could have dropped a unit of kabalite warriors and a venom for some additional Aeldari units to choose from to buff (dark reapers or wraithguard would be my choice)
Back to top Go down
Burnage
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 2k Aeldari vs Tyranid/Genestealer/Guard   Mon Oct 16 2017, 20:17

@Silverglade wrote:
This is one of the things I hate about 8th ed.  (lots I love, but some things I hate).   Anyone that would play an army of guard + Nids deserves a punch in the face.   Totally cheese.    Just taking whatever you like from whatever army you like.   *shakes head*

Part of your issue was that your army selection limited the utility of your psychic phase.  The farseer and warlock could only benefit the windriders.   So limited options for them on how to buff.

You could have dropped a unit of kabalite warriors and a venom for some additional Aeldari units to choose from to buff (dark reapers or wraithguard would be my choice)

Thanks for the thoughts.

My opponent's list was definitely cheesy, but this was meant to be preparation for a tournament so I don't hold that against him!

I'm not sure how concerned I am about the limited psychic phase. Doom works for everything (when it goes off...), Smite works on everything; it's really only Conceal and Guide that are restricted to the Craftworlders. But that's a lot of points to be spending on a Warlock that only affects two other units in the army.

I'm waiting for the Codex to hit to see how I'm going to tweak it, but I'm guessing I'm going to be dropping the Warlock Skyrunner, cutting at least the Blasters from the Kabalites, and trying to slot in a Troops unit and maybe an additional HQ to try and make sure that I can get a Craftworlds detachment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2k Aeldari vs Tyranid/Genestealer/Guard   

Back to top Go down

2k Aeldari vs Tyranid/Genestealer/Guard
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Realspace Raids
-
Jump to: